Apple rebrands Beats 1, launches two new Apple Music radio stations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Shocking, another one of Apple services bumbled. 

I’m into EDM, not so much into other pop or hip hop, but I could tell that Beats was doing great stuff at the beginning. But anyone with half a brain could tell you that an iPhone exclusive music service like this was going to fail since most music consumers are kids with androids. Apple missed the boat there for a long while, and now there isn’t much wind left in the sails. The only saving grace would be robust social capabilities; but of course that’s still a complete fucking joke.

How is nearly every Apple service such a failure?? 

And why is it still not possible to merge old iTunes accounts with iCloud accounts?? I’ve been waiting over a decade for this. Anyone that started an iTunes account before getting an Apple ID is still having to juggle separate accounts.

When will Apple stop screwing over is users with crappy services???

It was doing great in the beginning because of Jimmy and Dre. The buzz was enormous. Within days the media was talking about Beats 1 and Apple Music. Slowly it started to die down. Apple isn't exploiting the Beats brand enough and removing the name makes things worse.

"most music consumers are kids with androids."

By kids do you mean 10 year olds who don't know better and are handed down Androids or teens? Because most teens have an iPhone. In thw U.S. it's an estimated 80%. There's nothing "cool" about a cheap knockoff with an SD Card slot. Though now that Apple Music is disassociating itself with Beats, teens will see Apple as "less cool".
  • Reply 22 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Nothing that interested me before and nothing new to interest me. 

Let’s have a Prog station.  A Kpop/Jpop/Jrock Station.  A hard rock station.  A jazz/fusion station.  A classical station (yes I know those last two were already mentioned).  With hosts who know their stuff.  And guests from these genres.    

Yeah yeah yeah.  Prog Rock and hard rock are old fogey music.   Well, most old fogeys have a lot more disposable income than do teenagers and are also prime Apple consumers.  

Not everyone cares about hip hop crap or formulaic boring pop.  

The small amount of money it would take to run these sorts of stations in the same style is minuscule compared to $70M for a first run Tom Hanks movie for Apple TV+ that will be popular for 3 weeks and will do a lot more for the long term interest of ALL of the Apple fan base.   I am not saying these are needed instead of the hip hop, country, and hits stations.  But in addition to them.  
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Would anyone share a personal sound quality comparison for Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music? For me, the latter is better.

Edit: Googled: Apple Music‌ streams 256kbps AAC files across the board. Amazon hasn't revealed the bitrate of its library, but the general consensus is that its user audio quality options (low/medium/high) range from 48 Kbps up to and 320 Kbps. 

Through my good speakers, Amazon sound quality is better.

edited August 2020
  • Reply 24 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    stevenoz said:
    Would anyone share a personal sound quality comparison for Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music? For me, the latter is better.

Edit: Googled: Apple Music‌ streams 256kbps AAC files across the board. Amazon hasn't revealed the bitrate of its library, but the general consensus is that its user audio quality options (low/medium/high) range from 48 Kbps up to and 320 Kbps. 

How can you tell the difference? What details do you look for and what metrics do you go by?

I engineer music and usually the difference is your focus. That's how similar formats are. Unless you have $6,000 pair of speakers which I had. A gift and a curse when bad quality is also amplified.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    stevenoz said:

The announcement earlier this year that iOS 14 will enable Dolby Atmos surround sound in AirPods Pro makes me hopeful that Apple Music may soon include higher resolution and surround formats as well. 

Rather than just being a niche thing, this advance will suddenly put the capability to listen to these audiophile formats in millions of pockets all at once. Could be quite a remarkable thing. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chadbag said:

Let’s have a Prog station.  A Kpop/Jpop/Jrock Station.  A hard rock station.  A jazz/fusion station.  A classical station (yes I know those last two were already mentioned).  With hosts who know their stuff.  And guests from these genres.    

Yeah yeah yeah.  Prog Rock and hard rock are old fogey music.   Well, most old fogeys have a lot more disposable income than do teenagers and are also prime Apple consumers.  

The small amount of money it would take to run these sorts of stations in the same style is minuscule compared to $70M for a first run Tom Hanks movie for Apple TV+ that will be popular for 3 weeks and will do a lot more for the long term interest of ALL of the Apple fan base.   I am not saying these are needed instead of the hip hop, country, and hits stations.  But in addition to them.  
    You’re right, until Apple starts ignoring what market research tells them and launches Apple Vuvuzela Radio then it will be eternally doomed™  

beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 27 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Beats said:
    stevenoz said:

How can you tell the difference? What details do you look for and what metrics do you go by?

I engineer music and usually the difference is your focus. That's how similar formats are. Unless you have $6,000 pair of speakers which I had. A gift and a curse when bad quality is also amplified.
    Time for a new AI handle?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:

Let’s have a Prog station.  A Kpop/Jpop/Jrock Station.  A hard rock station.  A jatzz/fusion station.  A classical station (yes I know those last two were already mentioned).  With hosts who know their stuff.  And guests from these genres.    

You’re right, until Apple starts ignoring what market research tells them and launches Apple Vuvuzela Radio then it will be eternally doomed™  

Someone missed the point.   No one is saying to ditch the current stuff, but expand out to reach a larger market.   Focusing on a narrow band of market research does not make you a leader.  It makes you a follower. 

And I never said Apple was doomed.  Just that for many people their music efforts are useless and uninteresting and it would not take a lot of resources to fix.  
  • Reply 29 of 29
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Just wanted to clarify a bit:

That original comment was not intended to be incendiary or an attack on anyone’s character. My thought behind it was more along the lines of; The “Beats” name was Jimmy & Dre’s baby and was probably a contractual Obligation of some kind, or at the very least heavily favored by the pair. Now that they have left the company, it’s not really a surprise that they are changing the name. 

Dre definitely has a couple tunes I enjoy listening to and clearly has a finger on the pulse of what’s trending in his field, but obviously I can’t really stand behind all of his personal life decisions.

Jimmie has produced a few of my favorite albums, so he clearly has my ear drums, but I’m sure his personal life could be picked apart as well. 

But so could W. A. Mozart’s. And mine. So no judgement calls were intended to be implied there. Sorry to hijack the story like that.