Here's how Apple's four-for-one stock split works

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited August 2020
Monday at end of trading is a key deadline for full participation in Apple's four-for-one stock split. Here's how it works, and what you need to know about the August 24 start of the process, and completion on August 31.

Announced as part of Apple's quarterly results on July 30, Apple's Board of Directors approved a four-for-one stock split, with the intention of making the stock "more accessible to a broader base of investors." The split will considerably increase the number of common shares in the company, from approximately 12.6 billion to 50.4 billion.

Apple will start recording who owns shares in the company from the close of business on Monday, with those still holding onto shares at that time set to receive an additional three shares for each share owned. According to Apple's FAQ, the "Split Date" will be August 28 and will take place after the close of business.

The "Ex Date," the date determined by Nasdaq when Apple common shares will trade at the new split-adjusted price, will be August 31.

Apple warns that anyone who sells shares on or after the Record Date but before the Ex Date will be selling them at the pre-split price. Sellers also surrender their entitlement to split shares, as they will be passed along to the new owner of the sold shares.

Buying shares on or after the Record Date of August 24 but before the August 31 Ex Date will be charged at the pre-split price, and would also be eligible to gain the extra shares from the stock split. While it may seem that you have to buy shares before the end of business on Monday to quality, Apple's FAQ advises that it's more a case of owning shares before the Ex Date, with the only difference being flexibility in how much the share costs.

Each share stock post-split will be worth 25% of the price of record. If the stock price doesn't change between the Record Date and the Ex Date, the sum total value of the holdings will be identical, though in reality the price will change due to the major trading event.

Just hours before the August 24 close of trading, Apple's shares hit a record $500 milestone price.

The stock split will be Apple's fifth since going public. Previously it performed a 2-for-1 split on May 15, 1987, as well as June 21,2000, and February 18, 2005. On June 6, 2014, a stock split took place on a 7-for-1 basis.

Apple is in exceptionally good footing for the stock split, having become the first U.S. company to have a $2 trillion market capitalisation as of August 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

“The split will considerably increase the number of common shares in the company, from approximately 12.6 billion to 50.4 billion.“

I think the shares outstanding is currently at some 4B shares and after split it will be 12B shares, not 50B. 
    radarthekatBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    pmaster said:

“The split will considerably increase the number of common shares in the company, from approximately 12.6 billion to 50.4 billion.“

I think the shares outstanding is currently at some 4B shares and after split it will be 12B shares, not 50B. 

pscooter63bshankfastasleepmike1Rayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 24
    It would be nice to see Apple be the first (and only) company to hit $3T in market cap.  I think I can wait another two years for that to happen.  If it happens sooner, well, that will be OK.
    Bart Y
  • Reply 4 of 24
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    It is a bubble. Stay tuned.
    radarthekatJapheyflyingdp
  • Reply 5 of 24
    It would be nice to see Apple be the first (and only) company to hit $3T in market cap.  I think I can wait another two years for that to happen.  If it happens sooner, well, that will be OK.
    davgreg said:
    $1T - > $2 T is a 100% gain, and that happened in 2 years.  $2T -> $3T is a 50% increase, and could be in mid 2021 or never...

When the post split stock gets to around $190 (haven't done the math), we'll be there.
    BTW, it's valued at $2.1T at the moment, so it's already 10% of the way there, of the $1T between $2 and $3T.
    edited August 2020 bshank
  • Reply 6 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Who else saw the stock open at $514.91? Mindblowing.
    pscooter63bshank
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    During the last split, my investment company increased the shares but left the price the same on the website. I was a virtual multi millionaire for a day!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Who else saw the stock open at $514.91? Mindblowing.
    Yeah, but it’s been dropping ever since, with a bit of a lift a couple of times. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Shares outstanding is 4.28 billion. Where does that much larger number come from?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    melgross said:
    Shares outstanding is 4.28 billion. Where does that much larger number come from?
    The 50.4 billion (previously 12.6 billion) is the number of shares which Apple is, pursuant to its (amended) articles of incorporation, authorized to issue.

As you indicate, there are only about 4.3 billion shares outstanding. Soon there will be around 17 billion outstanding. Apple could issue many more (without retiring any) if it wanted.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Here is how it works, you take a pencil and break it into 4. Now it’s worth 500 billion more. Magic
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I am still confused on what happens btwn today(24th) and August 31st. I was under the impression that today was the last day to buy shares eligible for the 4:1 split. But it seems from this article that shares you buy up until the 31st will be eligible. 
  • Reply 13 of 24
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    I am still confused on what happens btwn today(24th) and August 31st. I was under the impression that today was the last day to buy shares eligible for the 4:1 split. But it seems from this article that shares you buy up until the 31st will be eligible. 
    If you buy shares through the close of trading this Friday, August 28th you'll get the additional shares. Starting Monday, August 31st they'll trade on a split-adjusted basis (i.e., at a lower price).

Which date matters depends on the perspective we're looking from. From Apple's perspective, shareholders of record on August 24th (today) get the additional shares. (On a side note, most people who own shares through an online broker aren't really shareholders of record; but we'll leave that issue aside and proceed as though they are.) Any trades made through Nasdaq between today and the end of trading on Friday have, in effect, a notation attached to them which means that the seller - who will get the additional shares on Friday - owes 3 more shares (for each 1 sold) to the buyer. From Apple's perspective, those additional shares will go to the original owner, i.e. the owner as of today. But Nasdaq has a process whereby it transfers those additional shares to the buyer (if they buy by Friday).

So from a buyer or seller's perspective, the additional shares go to whoever owns the shares at the end of trading on Friday. But from Apple's perspective, the additional shares go (at the end of trading on Friday) to whoever owned the shares today. There's an automatic process which happens outside of Apple which gets, or is supposed to get, the additional shares to the right owner - i.e., the owner as of the close of trading on Friday.

All that said, if a private trade happens - i.e., one that doesn't go through Nasdaq - between today and Friday then the buyer should be sure that means are in place whereby they will get the additional shares from the original owner after the original owner receives them on Friday.
    fastasleepRayz2016jdb8167FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Now I have a headache 🤕 
    Bart Y
  • Reply 15 of 24
    davgreg said:
    Bears always pretend they know something but a vague [gestures at everything] pronouncement isn't a discussion and using the term "bubble" doesn't mean anything here. There will be dips but no one has made money betting against this company for long. I was there for the 7-to-1 split and now here for the 4-to-1. I'm baffled at the meteoric rise but staying long on AAPL. The only regret AAPL owners have is not buying more.
    FileMakerFellerBart Y
  • Reply 16 of 24
    carnegie said:
    melgross said:
    The 50.4 billion (previously 12.6 billion) is the number of shares which Apple is, pursuant to its (amended) articles of incorporation, authorized to issue.

As you indicate, there are only about 4.3 billion shares outstanding. Soon there will be around 17 billion outstanding. Apple could issue many more (without retiring any) if it wanted.
    I hadn’t seen those numbers in the usual places. I’m shocked it’s so high. It’s really a meaningless number. Issuance of new shares tends to be very small, and in the case of Apple, where the buybacks are large, shares can be used for compensation, which is what most new share issuance is mostly for. In Apple’s case, large share issuance isn’t going to happen. So really, the only shares that matter are the common shares that have been issued. I’ve never before, in many decades of investing, seen an article that mentioned authorized share numbers that haven’t been issues, rather than actual shares registered. I can’t even imagine why that was done here. It’s somewhat deceptive, as those “shares” don’t exist.
  • Reply 17 of 24

Here is how it works, you take a pencil and break it into 4. Now it’s worth 500 billion more. Magic
    No, it’s not. Are you being facetious? You can’t be serious.
  • Reply 18 of 24

Anytime you buy shares before it splits, you get 4 shares instead of the one you bought. These timings are due to when share pricing is frozen for a short time. Don’t worry about it. If you want to buy shares, just buy them.
    edited August 2020 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    davgreg said:
    Bears always pretend they know something but a vague [gestures at everything] pronouncement isn't a discussion and using the term "bubble" doesn't mean anything here. There will be dips but no one has made money betting against this company for long. I was there for the 7-to-1 split and now here for the 4-to-1. I'm baffled at the meteoric rise but staying long on AAPL. The only regret AAPL owners have is not buying more.
    Yeah, I don't get that either.

Tesla is a better example of a potential bubble. Their price seems to be based on where people think the company will be in 10 years, rather than the production level it is at now (selling 1/10 as many cars as Chevrolet last year and how much lower is GM's market cap? Toyota's? etc?)
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mknelson said:
    davgreg said:
    Yeah, I don't get that either.

Tesla is a better example of a potential bubble. Their price seems to be based on where people think the company will be in 10 years, rather than the production level it is at now (selling 1/10 as many cars as Chevrolet last year and how much lower is GM's market cap? Toyota's? etc?)
    Tesla operates under a theory similar to Apple. They sell a luxury product to a well-heeled clientele which supports the company based on principle, more than product performance. Thankfully, Apple tends to have more winners than losers, but Tesla continues to sell cars even though quality has suffered of late.