Dark blue 'iPhone 12' could help Apple sell up to 68 million 5G models in 2020

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Here in the UK unless you live in or near a major city there is no 5G, so for most of us 5G is irrelevant T O D A Y !.
    Finished that for you....

So, how long do you intend to keep your phone?   And, do you intend to get any kind of resale on it when you do upgrade?
    Buying an LTE phone today is like buying a buggy whip 100 years ago....

Hyperbole does your argument no favors.  5G phones without proper 5G access (majority of phone owners) is the proverbial cart before the horse.  What good is a current 5G phone right now? We know 1. the tech is going to evolve and get better and 2. the infrastructure is also going to evolve and get better.  Buying an LTE phone today is no more detrimental than buying an LTE phone a year ago.  All 5G capable phones, are going to fall back to LTE network when the 5G network is unavailable.  Similar to how our LTE fall back to 3G when LTE access isn't possible.  mmWave and sub6 5G technology are still in their infancy.  Being an early adopter simply means being an early adopter.  There probably won't be any practical advantages of 5G for quite some time.
    Not to mention, I’ve yet to see any practical advantages of 5G on a cell phone. Other than some potential download/upload speed increases I don’t understand why people think having a 5G phone is going to be so amazing. 

Still enjoying your 3G flip phone?   People said the same about 4G.   "Who needs it?"   "What will you do with it that you can't do right now?"

Advances in communications technology have driven most of how computing has changed our lives.
    Tell me what my LTE phone does that was not possible on 3G. Then tell me what the people with 5G phones can do that my LTE phone can’t. Thanks!

When LTE was released people said exactly what you are saying now -- because they were stuck thinking that what they were doing and how they were doing it was how it wold always be.   But, smart phones eclipsed desktop & laptop devices largely because of it.   And, today, streaming high quality video is as common as the tiny, grainy little little 3G things we watched 5 years ago under 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 48

Rayz2016 said:
    How many people here have 5G right now?

Most -- if you live in China or South Korea.   Here, we are more concerned about blocking China than upgrading to the future.
    So not most. We aren't speaking Chinese, are we?

Don't worry.   We'll catch up.   Eventually.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Here in the UK unless you live in or near a major city there is no 5G, so for most of us 5G is irrelevant T O D A Y !.

So, how long do you intend to keep your phone?   And, do you intend to get any kind of resale on it when you do upgrade?
    Hyperbolic exaggeration. The reality is LTE is fast enough for what most people are going to use it for in the foreseeable future -- browsing FaceBook on the bus. All the fantastical stories of robotic VR surgeries controlled via 5G are just science-fiction pie in the sky silliness. It doesn't matter that much, and won't for most people for the life of even a new 2020 iPhone. 

As I said, people said the same about 4G:   "What could we possibly use it for?"
    But, today, they say:   "How could we have possibly lived with just 3G?"

That's what communication advances like 5G do:  they change the equation and enable whole new and expanded uses to happen.
    It's been going on since the 60's when computers were embedded in each business location and only served that location.  Communications advances changed the mainframe world and later they changed the personal computing world -- and now it's all coming full circle back to the mainframe world through cloud computing --  ALL THANKS TO COMMUNICATIONS ADVANCES.

And, with every advance skeptics asked:  "What could we possibly use that for?"

I'll put my bets on the future rather than the past.   And 4G is quickly becoming the past.
  • Reply 24 of 48

Hyperbole does your argument no favors.  5G phones without proper 5G access (majority of phone owners) is the proverbial cart before the horse.  What good is a current 5G phone right now? We know 1. the tech is going to evolve and get better and 2. the infrastructure is also going to evolve and get better.  Buying an LTE phone today is no more detrimental than buying an LTE phone a year ago.  All 5G capable phones, are going to fall back to LTE network when the 5G network is unavailable.  Similar to how our LTE fall back to 3G when LTE access isn't possible.  mmWave and sub6 5G technology are still in their infancy.  Being an early adopter simply means being an early adopter.  There probably won't be any practical advantages of 5G for quite some time.
    Not to mention, I’ve yet to see any practical advantages of 5G on a cell phone. Other than some potential download/upload speed increases I don’t understand why people think having a 5G phone is going to be so amazing. 

Still enjoying your 3G flip phone?   People said the same about 4G.   "Who needs it?"   "What will you do with it that you can't do right now?"

Advances in communications technology have driven most of how computing has changed our lives.
    No, nobody said that. Edge and 3G were slow for expected use cases -- including surfing the web, which was a common use case even for normals. It was slow. LTE isn't like that, it is as fast or faster than the high-speed internet some people have at home. It still fulfills its purpose for common, expected use cases quite well. 

Yes, people DID ask what the big deal about 4G was.   Because their brains were stuck in 3G mode.
  • Reply 25 of 48

LOL...  WHAT hyperbole?   Geez!
    And, you ignored my argument and simply went on a rant restating what I had just discredited.   Specifically:   few people spend a thousand dollars on a phone and only expect to keep it a year -- not have to worry about resale value.

But, I give you credit:  you did, in the end, try to walk your original statement back a bit when you said (incorrectly) that 5G won't be available "for quite some time".
    Nowhere in my comment did I say 5G won't be available for quite some time.  You simply misunderstood what you read.  Try reading it again.  You still won't find I said anything like that. Your comment was over the top. Hyperbolic.  Unsure what you think you discredited, but nothing in that quote discredits anything.  

LOL....  reality is NOT hyperbole!   Sorry!

And, my post was a response to your blanket, unqualifed statement that 5G was, in your words, "irrelevant".   Frankly, I would call THAT hyperbole.

• Reply 26 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:

Most -- if you live in China or South Korea.   Here, we are more concerned about blocking China than upgrading to the future.
    Jesus! Give it a rest, man. At least spare unrelated threads.

It's NOT unrelated.
    While China, South Korea and others zoomed ahead to roll out the future, we are stuck here trying to block the world leader in 5G technology.  That, and lack of national leadership, have put us behind much of the world -- at least those parts of the world that didn't succumb to our strong arm tactics trying to block the rest of the world the same as we blocked ourselves.
  • Reply 27 of 48

And, you ignored my argument and simply went on a rant restating what I had just discredited.   Specifically:   few people spend a thousand dollars on a phone and only expect to keep it a year -- not have to worry about resale value.

But, I give you credit:  you did, in the end, try to walk your original statement back a bit when you said (incorrectly) that 5G won't be available "for quite some time".
    Nowhere in my comment did I say 5G won't be available for quite some time.  You simply misunderstood what you read.  Try reading it again.  You still won't find I said anything like that. Your comment was over the top. Hyperbolic.  Unsure what you think you discredited, but nothing in that quote discredits anything.  

And, my post was a response to your blanket, unqualifed statement that 5G was, in your words, "irrelevant".   Frankly, I would call THAT hyperbole.

Maybe try responding to the right comment.  I said nothing about 5G being irrelevant.  
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    The question is irrelevant but millions of people have 5G. 5G phones represent a huge chunk of the market already and the first wave of 5G phones is barely a year old. 

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/one-three-smartphones-sold-5g-phone-china-q2-2020/

This year those numbers will balloon further. 

Apple scurried to get 5G on this year's phones for a reason. Because they simply couldn't let it wait another year. That was very likely the main reason behind the QC kiss and make up deal. There was no way Apple could move into 2021 without 5G. That was unthinkable at literally every management tier within Apple and anywhere else.

If people can't actually see that and instead try to make excuses for Apple being behind it is because they are usually the same people who always make excuses for Apple being behind. 

Aren't you now going to claim that Huawei stole Apple's 5G patents and rushed phones to market? That's what you usually do. 

Secondly, the vast majority of phones bought last year (and this year) will definitely have access to 5G infrastructure during their useful lifetimes. Again, this should be obvious to most people.

Asking how many people have access to 5G now is an exercise in asking the wrong question. 

Now, COVID has slowed down roll outs and Trump is doing his best to further stall adoption in order to allow US companies to get their act together. 
    edited September 2020 muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

Annnnnnd...: more hyperbole!

If you can’t make your point with a reasonable argument, perhaps you don’t have a point.
    edited September 2020 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    The question is irrelevant but millions of people have 5G. 5G phones represent a huge chunk of the market already and the first wave of 5G phones is barely a year old. 

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/one-three-smartphones-sold-5g-phone-china-q2-2020/

This year those numbers will balloon further. 

Apple scurried to get 5G on this year's phones for a reason. Because they simply couldn't let it wait another year. That was very likely the main reason behind the QC kiss and make up deal. There was no way Apple could move into 2021 without 5G. That was unthinkable at literally every management tier within Apple and anywhere else.

If people can't actually see that and instead try to make excuses for Apple being behind it is because they are usually the same people who always make excuses for Apple being behind. 

Aren't you now going to claim that Huawei stole Apple's 5G patents and rushed phones to market? That's what you usually do. 

Secondly, the vast majority of phones bought last year (and this year) will definitely have access to 5G infrastructure during their useful lifetimes. Again, this should be obvious to most people.

Asking how many people have access to 5G now is an exercise in asking the wrong question. 

Now, COVID has slowed down roll outs and Trump is doing his best to further stall adoption in order to allow US companies to get their act together. 
    We’ve had this discussion before - my perspective is very America-centric mainly because I live here, but there are several problems with 5G. In the US there is very little infrastructure in place and just like past generation upgrades, roll-outs have been significantly slower than initially promised. Beyond the availability is the lack of actual need. 5G has been hyped by the telecoms (and people here) as ‘the future’ that will allow great features, but no one quite knows what those features will be. Sure we all know about the blazing speeds - if you happen to be within spitting distance of an antenna with nothing blocking your view, and true LTE speeds are more than adequate for people’s needs now (if you can get them.) People talk about cars talking to each other and remote surgery, but those are not cell phone uses. Beyond that, many of the benefits of 5G require upgrades to the infrastructure backbone that will benefit everyone.

I agree it’s a chicken and egg problem - but it’s hard for me to get all worked up about a feature that has very little practical use right now, and likely won’t for at least a couple of years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48

Exactly.

There are potential disadvantages- increased cost, worse battery life from early-generation chips, etc. Apple was not the first out with a 4G phone and the world managed to survive. I suspect it will survive this, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    I personally don’t know anyone who has a 5G phone yet. Can you tell me what amazing things people are doing with their 5G phones that couldn’t be done with their LTE phones? This is a serious question. Aside from DL/UL speed gains what is the benefit? What do those faster speeds enable that can’t be done on LTE?
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48

Tell me what my LTE phone does that was not possible on 3G. Then tell me what the people with 5G phones can do that my LTE phone can’t. Thanks!

When LTE was released people said exactly what you are saying now -- because they were stuck thinking that what they were doing and how they were doing it was how it wold always be.   But, smart phones eclipsed desktop & laptop devices largely because of it.   And, today, streaming high quality video is as common as the tiny, grainy little little 3G things we watched 5 years ago under 3G.
    All this said is “faster downloads”. LTE didn’t improve video quality, it provided enough speed to make higher quality video reasonable to download. Case in point, I could watch a lower quality video over 3G OR connect to Wi-Fi and watch the same video in higher quality because I had a faster connection. 

You still haven’t answered my question regarding what 5G will enable on my phone that can’t be done on LTE. 

Perhaps you’re non-answer is leaning toward “wait and see”? Sort of like the response of “see what developers do with it” with regard to ARKit. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    I personally don’t know anyone who has a 5G phone yet. Can you tell me what amazing things people are doing with their 5G phones that couldn’t be done with their LTE phones? This is a serious question. Aside from DL/UL speed gains what is the benefit? What do those faster speeds enable that can’t be done on LTE?
    Apart from the obvious aspects which you mention, there are a raft of benefits at a purely technological level. 

Network Slicing will have a MAJOR impact on how things get done. Other things such as latency and QoS for mission critical scenarios are another. 

https://www.blueplanet.com/resources/what-is-network-slicing.html

Of course, 5G modules are already shipping on cars, too. 

I understand that from a US perspective you may not see much worth right now but in the lifetime of for example, an iPhone 11, you will be seeing benefits in 5G appearing around you. If you happen to have an iPhone 11 though 5G is out of reach. 
    edited September 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol
    Apart from the obvious aspects which you mention, there are a raft of benefits at a purely technological level. 

Network Slicing will have a MAJOR impact on how things get done. Other things such as latency and QoS for mission critical scenarios are another. 

I understand that from a US perspective you may not see much worth right now but in the lifetime of for example, an iPhone 11, you will be seeing benefits in 5G appearing around you. If you happen to have an iPhone 11 though 5G is out of reach. 
    I think you are misunderstand the question. Most people here aren’t debating the merits of 5G as a technology, rather we are questioning the relevance of 5G capabilities for smartphones. Latency, QoS and 5G modules are cars are all valid but of little importance to general smartphone use. 

Similarly, from the article you posted, network slicing helps with the network as a whole, but doesn’t seem to give any benefits to smartphone use.

I’m not deliberately trying to be difficult or obtuse here, but after people have been moaning and wailing for the last 2 years about the iPhone being doomed by the lack of 5G support. They said it was going to be all over the place by the end of 2019, that non-5G phones would be obsolete and promised a world of technological wonder enabled by 5G, yet here we are 2 years later and the benefits are still mainly theoretical. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol

I think you are misunderstand the question. Most people here aren’t debating the merits of 5G as a technology, rather we are questioning the relevance of 5G capabilities for smartphones. Latency, QoS and 5G modules are cars are all valid but of little importance to general smartphone use. 

Similarly, from the article you posted, network slicing helps with the network as a whole, but doesn’t seem to give any benefits to smartphone use.

I’m not deliberately trying to be difficult or obtuse here, but after people have been moaning and wailing for the last 2 years about the iPhone being doomed by the lack of 5G support. They said it was going to be all over the place by the end of 2019, that non-5G phones would be obsolete and promised a world of technological wonder enabled by 5G, yet here we are 2 years later and the benefits are still mainly theoretical. 
    Network slicing affects literally everything - including handsets. 

The possible scenarios are huge. I was first made aware of its importance from a very mundane perspective (banking) where I was told that it would transform the level of security for users with 5G handsets. This was a few years ago. Of course that aspect is completely invisible to the user but its relevance is on the handset. 

Network slicing will enable providers to better serve ALL users (handset users included). We already have 5G 4K gaming services for mobile. Video conferencing will be much better. 

The phone will remain our digital hub device but far more intelligent devices will seamlessly connect to it thanks to 5G or 5G related technologies. 

There is room for overlap too. 

Huawei's WiFi 6 + product range includes the '+' to denominate WiFi 6 but - powered by 5G technologies - to squeeze even more out of it. 

This leads us to the home. If you are doing a Video call at home on your phone, shouldn't you be able to seamlessly use your TV for the image and your sound system for the audio? 

Shouldn't hardware be abstracted from the host device intelligently.? So that everything in your setup knows what everything else can offer and then take advantage of it? 

For all of this, speed, latency and QoS are vital but with your phone being the central hub, having 5G should be something you'd prefer to have even if it is simply fishing things out to better devices for the task at hand. 

Much of this technology is here now. It will simply get wider and wider acceptance. 

Even some toilets in China are equipped with 5G. You don't need to guess which ones are busiest at that huge train station. You will know, in real time by simply checking your phone. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol

The possible scenarios are huge. I was first made aware of its importance from a very mundane perspective (banking) where I was told that it would transform the level of security for users with 5G handsets. This was a few years ago. Of course that aspect is completely invisible to the user but its relevance is on the handset. 

Network slicing will enable providers to better serve ALL users (handset users included). We already have 5G 4K gaming services for mobile. Video conferencing will be much better. 

The phone will remain our digital hub device but far more intelligent devices will seamlessly connect to it thanks to 5G or 5G related technologies. 

Huawei's WiFi 6 + product range includes the '+' to denominate WiFi 6 but - powered by 5G technologies - to squeeze even more out of it. 

This leads us to the home. If you are doing a Video call at home on your phone, shouldn't you be able to seamlessly use your TV for the image and your sound system for the audio? 

Shouldn't hardware be abstracted from the host device intelligently.? So that everything in your setup knows what everything else can offer and then take advantage of it? 

For all of this, speed, latency and QoS are vital but with your phone being the central hub, having 5G should be something you'd prefer to have even if it is simply fishing things out to better devices for the task at hand. 

Much of this technology is here now. It will simply get wider and wider acceptance. 

Even some toilets in China are equipped with 5G. You don't need to guess which ones are busiest at that huge train station. You will know, in real time by simply checking your phone. 

Yet, for all the hype you generate, I'd safely speculate that you still don't have a 5G capable phone.

I think that is important to note.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AvonB. lol

For all these technological promises how many will be delivered when the Comms companies decide it is to much of threat to business plan.
    3G, 4G, LTE have all made promises around customer freedom including ubiquitous video calling that would have been so useful of late all of which never arrived. So why shouldn't we treat 5G promise with a very large grain of salt?

tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48

Maybe try responding to the right comment.  I said nothing about 5G being irrelevant.  

Technically, you are correct -- the original poster whom you were defending did.   But I'll stand by my argument and against your "hyperbole".
  • Reply 40 of 48
    MplsP said:

Annnnnnd...: more hyperbole!

If you can’t make your point with a reasonable argument, perhaps you don’t have a point.

LOL...   You make the same nonsensical argument about 5G as people made about 4G -- and then call it "hyperbole" when it is pointed out?   Really?