Evidence growing for Tuesday 'iPad Air 4' launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2020
Accessory producers are starting to put cases for a fourth-generation iPad Air up for sale, a few days ahead of a rumored unveiling of the new tablet that could take place on Tuesday.

Pre-launch 'iPad Air 4' cases found on Amazon Germany
Pre-launch 'iPad Air 4' cases found on Amazon Germany

The high popularity of Apple products makes launches an ideal time for accessory producers to release new versions of cases made specifically for Apple's latest items. With rumors of an iPad launch on the horizon, some case producers are jumping the gun by putting new cases up for sale on Amazon before Apple officially announced new hardware.

Product listings reported on Reddit by "u/Kasti0" show cases being marketed on Amazon's website in Germany from manufacturers ZtotopCase and TiMOVO. The two cases are said to be for the "iPad Air 4 2020," with both listings offering similar expectations for the model.

Both show the iPad Air as having a similar appearance to the iPad Pro range, namely lacking a Home button on the front screen and having support for the second-generation Apple Pencil. Rumors have pointed to a possible change in design to one that is closer to the iPad Pro lineup in appearance.

While seemingly convincing, accessory producers generally examine rumors surrounding product launches, including design schematic leaks, and try to design their products around that data. While this allows for their cases to be the first on the market at the time of launch, it is a relatively low-risk situation, as the vendors can easily pull products with incorrect designs if the real thing differs from expectations.

There is no guarantee that the accessory vendors have correct data, and have fully-compatible accessories, ahead of Apple's launch event.

Launch timing

At the same time as the accessories first surfaced, serial Apple leaker Jon Prosser claims Apple is readying a press release for September 8, which will be published at 9am eastern time. Prosser adds that the time isn't "locked in" until members of the media are briefed beforehand, but promises to tweet an update if the situation changes.

Apple press release is currently scheduled for Tuesday (September 8) at 9:00am EST -- though, I should note that it's not locked in until the press has been briefed, day of.

I'll tweet early that morning to update you if it changes.

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

The timing is seemingly a continuation of Prosser's earlier declaration that Apple would break with tradition for its product changes, with launches in its iPad lineup and the "Apple Watch Series 6" in the week of September 7. Rather than offer an iPhone during its famed September event, Prosser claimed it would instead take place on October 12.

Prosser has a relatively good record for product leaks, as well as being particularly prolific with details.

Other leakers have also suggested a September 8 event date followed by another in late October, but with the iPhones being in the first while iPad Pro and Apple Silicon Macs appear in the later version.

Apple itself has also seemingly added to the speculation, with its YouTube channel seemingly showing a "test" video stream set to commence at 1:15pm eastern time on September 10, before being removed from view.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    If true it might suggest that iOS 14 could be out this week as well. 
    edited September 2020 btonedemwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Stopped reading when it said Prosser. 

If true, this would, I would think, still have an A12 or 13, as I can’t imagine a 14 in anything before iPhone 12. 

Might be in the minority here, but I just cannot get into the pro design. Prefer my iPad Air 3 look, with traditional home button. 
    retrogusto
  • Reply 3 of 26
    iPad Air with A13, FaceID and second gen pencil support would be a compelling device. 

DAalsethseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Credit card ready and waiting for the Apple Watch Series 6.
    bageljoeySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    The thing I always find interesting about launch rumours is that if true, that means tech journalists around the world already have and are using  these devices but are under an embargo.
    steve_jobswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    So looking at the image, on September 8th Apple is purported to rerelease the 2018 iPad Pro 11 as the 4th gen Air....So yes a SE move in design and maybe a spec bump.

typed on my 2018 iPad Pro....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Give me the iPad Pro or give me... nothing.
    leehammuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    dtracht said:

If true, this would, I would think, still have an A12 or 13, as I can’t imagine a 14 in anything before iPhone 12. 

Might be in the minority here, but I just cannot get into the pro design. Prefer my iPad Air 3 look, with traditional home button. 
    I agree. I don’t see an iPad with an A14 being released before a phone with it, let alone an Air model. 

I also prefer the TouchID button and the thinner, the better. Those new Pro’s with the squared off edges look thick. Maybe it’s just the photos, who knows. I finally upgraded my 2014 iPad Air 2 (which I still love) with a 2017 10.5” Pro (it was brand new off eBay still factory sealed) I stuck with the gold cause it’s just so beautiful. I figure this will let me enjoy the design that I love a little longer before being forced into a FaceID equipped iPad. Hopefully by then, they’ll have that in-display TouchID we keep getting teased with. 

I did some research for a new model and came up with the 2017 Pro because of the home button, 4 speakers instead of two, faster processor and gpu, 10.5” screen which allows for a full size keyboard yet it’s not the size of a legal pad like the new ones, 120Hz ProMotion display, 512GB capacity and iPhone 7 camera system with a flash and its optical image stabilization. For my money, the 2017 Pro is the perfect design with the perfect features. And to still be able to find a brand new one that’s never been opened just sealed the deal. 

Going back to screen sizes, why are there so many now? And they’re doing it with the phones now, too. What happened to simplicity at Apple? It’s 1990 all over again with their bloated lineup. My wife bought the very first iPad Pro, the 12” one...the thing was massive! Bulky and heavy. She returned it and went back to her Air 2. Ever since then, we stay away from those. It’s supposed to be an iPad, not a laptop. (Miss Steve and Jony) This 10.5” one is the perfect size though. Bigger screen yet damn near the same physical size as an Air 2. 
    dtrachtretrogustomobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    dtracht said:

I agree. I don’t see an iPad with an A14 being released before a phone with it, let alone an Air model. 

I also prefer the TouchID button and the thinner, the better. Those new Pro’s with the squared off edges look thick. Maybe it’s just the photos, who knows. I finally upgraded my 2014 iPad Air 2 (which I still love) with a 2017 10.5” Pro (it was brand new off eBay still factory sealed) I stuck with the gold cause it’s just so beautiful. I figure this will let me enjoy the design that I love a little longer before being forced into a FaceID equipped iPad. Hopefully by then, they’ll have that in-display TouchID we keep getting teased with. 

I did some research for a new model and came up with the 2017 Pro because of the home button, 4 speakers instead of two, faster processor and gpu, 10.5” screen which allows for a full size keyboard yet it’s not the size of a legal pad like the new ones, 120Hz ProMotion display, 512GB capacity and iPhone 7 camera system with a flash and its optical image stabilization. For my money, the 2017 Pro is the perfect design with the perfect features. And to still be able to find a brand new one that’s never been opened just sealed the deal. 

Going back to screen sizes, why are there so many now? And they’re doing it with the phones now, too. What happened to simplicity at Apple? It’s 1990 all over again with their bloated lineup. My wife bought the very first iPad Pro, the 12” one...the thing was massive! Bulky and heavy. She returned it and went back to her Air 2. Ever since then, we stay away from those. It’s supposed to be an iPad, not a laptop. (Miss Steve and Jony) This 10.5” one is the perfect size though. Bigger screen yet damn near the same physical size as an Air 2. 
    The two things I’m most concerned about when I eventually get a new iPad Pro will be the loss of a functioning 1/8” audio jack connection and no Home button. Both are critical to workflow and usability for me.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    The two things I’m most concerned about when I eventually get a new iPad Pro will be the loss of a functioning 1/8” audio jack connection and no Home button. Both are critical to workflow and usability for me.
    Ah yes, I forgot about the headphone jack. It is very nice to have that, as well. 

I understand the whole move everything to wireless thing and the waterproof devices that allows, but I gotta say sometimes those wireless headphones take too long to connect. I get issues with it where I have to put them back in the case, shut it, then try again before they finally connect.  Sometimes I just want to use one and that causes issues, too. Nothing beats plugging a cord in and they “just work.” 

I wish the 6s wasn’t so damn old, I’d love to have a headphone jack again. 
    retrogustoSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Addressing KidRock's comments: I had that 2017 iPad Pro (actually still do, haven't sold it yet) and upgraded to the current 11-inch iPad Pro -- Face ID is way better and I love how big the screen is because of the lack of chin and forehead. Being able to do FaceID from either landscape or portrait was the key to persuade me, since I love using FaceID on my iPhone -- so easy and quick, especially when my other hand is holding something!

In addition, the speed and power of the more recent iPad Pro is impressive. I'm not really taking "full" advantage of it yet -- I don't have an Apple Pencil, or a USB-C hub for it, and I haven't yet gotten a Magic Trackpad 2 so I'm not using the mouse ability of it -- but while the pro is not quite a substitute in my case for a MBP, I do actually find that I prefer using the Pro (both this new one and the one before it) much more over using the MBP for anything that doesn't require the MBP's larger screen and general oomph. I really enjoyed my 10.5 a great deal, and I'm sure you'll love yours until the time comes for a new Pro, but the greater potential for the 11-inch going forward, and the thinner bezel, won me over.

One thing I will take issue with you on, though, is the headphone jack. While I agree that it's nice to have one as you do on the 10.5-inch Pro, the placement of it at the top was utterly ridiculous. Yes, of course you can hold the iPad "upside down" so the headphone cable doesn't stick up in the air, but then your hand doesn't know where the TouchID button is and ... just ugh. Terrible placement. I used my Lightning EarPods instead for the 10.5.

Now, finally, addressing the rumour for Tuesday: I doubt the one that claims the iPhone 12 announcement, I'll frankly be moderately annoyed (as KidRock might be) if the iPad Air turns into "the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro," especially if it stays priced at $500! :smile: 

Apple did promise that there would be a "different product mix" for announcements this pre-holiday season, so I'm as eager as anyone to see what they have in store: new HomePod of some type? AirPods 3? This iPad Air upgrade? Apple TV 5? Something completely new? I'm not sure that we'll hear about all of this on Tuesday, but it might be a neat idea to spread all these future holiday products out a bit to maximize the press coverage: maybe one new product reveal every week until the iPhone 12 lineup arrives sometime in October? That would be fun! Fold Who? Pixel What? HA!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I just don’t get why Apple releases their flagship processor in a phone, it’s ridiculous.  They should release the A14 in the iPad Air & MacBook first with A14X for the iPad Pro & MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mcdave said:
    I just don’t get why Apple releases their flagship processor in a phone, it’s ridiculous.  They should release the A14 in the iPad Air & MacBook first with A14X for the iPad Pro & MacBook Pro.

With Apple Silicon taking on more prominence in Apple's product line, I wouldn't be surprised if past practices are abandoned.

2020 has already brought about different ways that Apple interfaces with the press, developers, and public, and I can see at least some of those facets carried forth.

Press releases and pre-recorded video keynotes haven't blunted Apple's new releases, or messaging.

We used to be able to count on new product announcements, and the large booths at the Macworld Expos like clockwork, in January and August.

Those went away after Apple decided to change priorities and methods.  Who's to say that iPhones have to be announced in September, and signal the first sight of the next Ax processor?  That can change as well, as the effects on the disrupted development cycle this year could easily carry forth into next year, and alter those timelines as well.

Being freed from the artificial deadline imposed by the MW San Francisco show allowed Apple and its employees to be relieved of the pressure to work through the holidays.

If anything, Apple releasing products when they're ready, and development is truly complete could only benefit users, instead of being pushed out the door prematurely so that a dog-and-pony show can be staged.

retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Ugh

The “Air” nomenclature has to go awaaay 

it doesn’t fit the “classes” for Apple products. Either that or Apple needs to launch an iPhone Air and iPod Air

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    commentsf said:
    Ugh

it doesn’t fit the “classes” for Apple products. Either that or Apple needs to launch an iPhone Air and iPod Air

I’m ready for an iPhone Air. I still miss the slimness and the lightness of my iPhone 6. They have been slowly getting thicker and bulkier ever since, despite the courageous sacrifice of the headphone jack. 

I’m also a fan of of the rounded back of the iPad Pro from a few years ago—it feels good in the hands. But Apple seems to alternate between the flat and the rounded edges, so I imagine they’ll be back again.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    DAalseth said:
    If true it might suggest that iOS 14 could be out this week as well. 
    iPadOS and WatchOS at least, has Apple ever split the release of a member of the iOS family off before?  It would make sense to hold iPhone iOS till the next-gen phone I would suggest if indeed that is October.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    dtracht said:

You’ll learn. Learning and adapting to change is what humans excel at. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26

Ah yes, I forgot about the headphone jack. It is very nice to have that, as well. 

I understand the whole move everything to wireless thing and the waterproof devices that allows, but I gotta say sometimes those wireless headphones take too long to connect. I get issues with it where I have to put them back in the case, shut it, then try again before they finally connect.  Sometimes I just want to use one and that causes issues, too. Nothing beats plugging a cord in and they “just work.” 

I wish the 6s wasn’t so damn old, I’d love to have a headphone jack again. 
    While I love my AirPods, I use corded headphones in my device every night when I use them to fall asleep. Yep, corded headphones are very much still a thing, they just ditched the legacy analog port for a digital port. It’s not a problem. 
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    commentsf said:
    Ugh

I’m ready for an iPhone Air. I still miss the slimness and the lightness of my iPhone 6. They have been slowly getting thicker and bulkier ever since, despite the courageous sacrifice of the headphone jack. 

I’m also a fan of of the rounded back of the iPad Pro from a few years ago—it feels good in the hands. But Apple seems to alternate between the flat and the rounded edges, so I imagine they’ll be back again.
    I currently have an iPhone X, and previously had an iPhone 6.  Prior to the X coming out, I purchased a case for it, to use as a comparison with my iPhone 6.  Physically, there was about 1/4” increase in size for the iPhone X, which to me was negligible.  The thickness remained essentially the same.  But the big boost in performance, as well as the larger OLED display, sold it for me.  I’ll miss the size of the iPhone X/XS/11Pro, because the 6.1” 12 Pro will be larger, and the 5.4” iPhone 12 will be too small for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26

commentsf said:
    Ugh

The removal of the legacy analog jack was the allow for adding a bigger camera module, water gaskets, and a larger battery. Bigger batteries make things heavier. Most folks were whining that iPhone was too thin and wanted it thicker for more battery. 
    watto_cobra