Facebook-owned Instagram also chafing at Apple's App Store control

Posted:
in General Discussion
Instagram's CEO stands in lockstep with Facebook's stance that Apple will hurt small businesses more than big corporations with ad tracking limits -- and asserts that Apple's control of the platform unfairly reduces outside influence on such decisions.

Apple and Instagram
Apple and Instagram

Many companies big and small have taken their shot at Apple's business practices. The battle with Epic over in-app-purchases, the fight with Google and Facebook over ad tracking technology, and the fight with the U.S. government over antitrust concerns.

The CEO of Instagram, Adam Mosseri, is the latest to speak out against Apple on various fronts. During an interview on CNBC he made multiple comments on the various aspects of Apple's business and how they affect Instagram and the industry.

"If the ecosystem changes in a way that advertisers can't really measure their return on investment, that's really going to be, yes, somewhat problematic for our business, but it's going to be problematic for all the big ad platforms roughly equally, so I'm not that worried about it over the long run," he said. "It's going to be much much more problematic for all the small businesses. There are millions of them out there that rely on us to target customers and to reach those customers. Particularly during a pandemic when they're hurting."

These sentiments have been echoed by their parent company Facebook, with Mark Zuckerberg stating the change will severely impact their ability to target ads on the platform. The impact could reduce revenue by as much as 50% for the advertising network.

According to Mosseri, Apple has too much control over its platform. Coupled with Apple's majority market share in the U.S., Mosseri says that this causes a problem.

"They have an immense amount of power," he said. "They can just decide we can't launch new apps at any given moment."

Apple hasn't blocked any Instagram updates, nor any apps from Instagram. Apple and parent company Facebook have battled over Facebook's misuse of enterprise certificates. Apple has also blocked Facebook Gaming from launching, because non-approved code would have to run on the iPhone.

Mosseri goes on to reference the fight between Apple and Epic as a practical demonstration of Apple's power.

Ad giants like Facebook and Google have spent years building up their platform. Their entire businesses are predicated on the idea that users must be tracked extensively to provide useful ad data to companies, and Apple actively inhibits this. Apple's fight for privacy and security of its users has been made loud and public for years, even pushing for privacy so hard that the FBI sought to break the iPhone's encryption.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    So, Apple protects consumers from people who want to manipulate them into handing over their hard-earned money for things they neither need nor want, and Instagram (and others) calls that "having an immense amount of power." Huh? How anti-consumer, right?!

How does that even pass the sniff test of rationality? Must be the 'greed' filter through which they view life.

F*ck them, and hope their stupid platforms burn to the ground.
    peterhartqwerty52mike1Anilu_777h4y3stokyojimuchaickaSamsonikkcornchipSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 29
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    It’s Apple’s platform. Why should Facebook have any say in how Apple runs it? 
    peterhartqwerty52mike1bluefire1williamlondonAnilu_777chaickailoveapplegearStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Everyone is trying to destroy the most safe and that’s why very  successful AppStore. 
    Can’t believe that all those companies are trying to turn the clock 10 years backwards in place to try to do wat Apple is doing.
    All this companies are admitting now publicly: “We don’t give a s**t for the user”
    williamlondonchaickailoveapplegearStrangeDaysstevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    If ad revenue is your only source of income, it’s a gamble no matter how you look at it. How about you come up with a more sustainable business model where you can generate income through your product.

all these companies are chipping away at Apple bcoz they know what a treasure trove Apple customer information is. Lazy, greedy capitalists who care only about profit and are willing to do anything to get it. The American way. America doesn’t stand for quality anymore. In fact, quality and innovation seem to be at the bottom of the list. And let’s not even get started about privacy.
    Anilu_777GabyStrangeDayscornchipmike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ...and asserts that Apple's control of the platform unfairly...

Nice wording. It should actually be, “Apple’s control of THEIR platform”. But whatever it takes to make it seem more nefarious.

Anyone who creates their own platform is going to have an unfair advantage... ALWAYS! Apple didn’t create iOS to compete with other mobile platforms, they created it because they wanted to make mobile devices and have them run and work they wanted. PERIOD

This isn’t like a bunch of companies came together and created iOS, and Apple usurped control of it. You can’t wrestle away control of something from the sole company that created, develops and maintains it. Sure, limitations may eventually be imposed on how that company can affect 3rd party companies, but that usually only applies if that platform has a monopoly over the market, which iOS does not - not in any mobile platform market.

It seems to me that these people want to change laws to replace “monopoly” with “highly successful” Because it’s no longer about marketshare it’s about profit share.
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777h4y3schaickacy_starkmanmike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Nothing more than a sock puppet.
    h4y3sStrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
     Ad giants like Facebook and Google have spent years building up their platform. Their entire businesses are predicated on the idea that users must be trackedextensively to provide useful ad data to companies, and Apple actively inhibits this. ”

I like how Apple acts against these tracking companies and support Apple 100% because of it. 
    h4y3schaickarotateleftbytecy_starkmanmike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    This is so stupid. Facebook is such a coward. Jumping on the bandwagon after Epic. Truly pathetic to spray BS trying to get the court of public opinion to give you a business advantage. My mother would be all over my ass if I was acting like this much of a baby.
    cornchipmike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Just like the police and the various government and espionage agencies - they become so used to having access to a thing, that they mistake it for having a right to have access. Advertising agencies managed long before iPhone and iPad and they will survive without. They perhaps may just have to spend a little more of those hard earned profits to do so. It’s very benevolent of these multi billion dollar behemoths to worry so much about the little guy... you know the very same businesses they’ve spent years furiously stamping out. 
    edited September 2020 cornchipmike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I’m so touched that he cares about small businesses. 
    StrangeDayscornchipmike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    How about you and facebook, where is your competitions? You basically killed them....
  • Reply 12 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    But Facebook and Instagram would never terminate a business's or Individual's  accounts without warning and without good explanation?  Destroying that business or organization?  Causing that individual to lose all their contacts (on messenger), contact  points for others, etc?

Nah. They would never do that. 

Of wait.  Happens probably daily.  Most recent is the Facebook page for "Tactical Sh!t".  All their related sites and anyone who is affiliated with them also lost  their personal Facebook account.  And it seems this is permanent.  The reason  given is totally bogus and made up and without warning.  (It appears to be politically related).  

• Reply 13 of 29
    Do they not understand that most people don't care about their privacy raping advertisement business?  Maybe they should have chosen a business model that wasn't questionably legal.
    mike54svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    It’s Apple’s platform. Why should Facebook have any say in how Apple runs it? 
    They don't?  But they can still say what they think.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    My personal info (access to or actual) is not for sale. You don’t have a right to see it without my consent. 
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    mac_dog said:
    If ad revenue is your only source of income, it’s a gamble no matter how you look at it. How about you come up with a more sustainable business model where you can generate income through your product.

all these companies are chipping away at Apple bcoz they know what a treasure trove Apple customer information is. Lazy, greedy capitalists who care only about profit and are willing to do anything to get it. The American way. America doesn’t stand for quality anymore. In fact, quality and innovation seem to be at the bottom of the list. And let’s not even get started about privacy.
    Facebook and instagram states you the person is the product.  
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    It’s Apple’s platform and they are trying to fight their customers corner and be responsible. Fair play. Nothing to see here. 
    iloveapplegearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Its my BOARDBAND, I decide if I even want to see ads. Don't know how this happen, but they should be pay consumers to ads placement just like they
    do for TV and Radio...
    cy_starkmanmike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark said:
    My personal info (access to or actual) is not for sale. You don’t have a right to see it without my consent. 
    1000% agree.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Anilu_777 said:
    “ Ad giants like Facebook and Google have spent years building up their platform. Their entire businesses are predicated on the idea that users must be trackedextensively to provide useful ad data to companies, and Apple actively inhibits this. ”

I like how Apple acts against these tracking companies and support Apple 100% because of it. 

Google has been quite accepting, noting they are integrating Apple's API and a willingness to wait and see where Apple takes this. IMO they deserve kudos for working with Apple instead of against them. IMO big tech being more aligned with each other's interests is exactly what they should be doing in the face of the governments ignorant interest in seeing them broken up into more bite-sized pieces. If successful against one it emboldens politicians into going after the next in line.