Microsoft will 'absolutely' bring xCloud to iOS and iPadOS, targeting 2021 launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Microsoft plans to deliver a web version of its xCloud game streaming service to iOS and iPadOS devices, effectively using Safari and other browsers as a workaround to Apple's App Store guidelines.

xCloud

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Business Insider on Thursday reported Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer informed employees that the company has a "direct browser-based solution" in the works for Apple's mobile platforms.

"We absolutely will end up on iOS," Spencer told employees on Wednesday, according to the report. A follow-up report from The Verge claims Spencer went on to say, "We'll end up on iPhones, and iPads with Game Pass."

Microsoft last month launched a new feature for its Game Pass subscription streaming service that allows users to play titles on mobile devices. Currently, compatibility is limited to Android handsets and tablets, as Apple prohibits gaming apps from streaming cloud-based content.

Apple's restrictions were relaxed somewhat with the adoption of new rules in September. According to App Store guidelines, cloud gaming services like xCloud, Google's Stadia and Amazon's Luna can create catalog apps as long as each game listed includes a link to individual App Store pages.

Alternatively, Apple says "there is always the open Internet and web browser apps to reach all users outside of the App Store." Amazon took that route with Luna, a browser-based solution that relies on web apps to stream gaming content to iPhone, iPad and Mac. In an interview with Engadget last month Luna engineering chief George Tsipolitis said Amazon worked with Apple on the web-based delivery system.

Apple's reluctance to allow game streaming services on the App Store has rankled both the gaming industry and consumers. App Store guidelines restricting access to said services were the target of a class action lawsuit filed today, while former App Store head Phil Shoemaker in congressional testimony said the tech titan disallows products like xCloud from the online marketplace in part because it competes with Apple Arcade.

For its part, Apple says its prohibition of cloud gaming services is all about customer safety and the user experience.

"The App Store was created to be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers," a spokesperson said in August. "Before they go on our store, all apps are reviewed against the same set of guidelines that are intended to protect customers and provide a fair and level playing field to developers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    This is a pretty hot garbage excuse and I wish Apple would stop using it.

There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  They are literally the exact same games being played on consolea, PC, and Mac from developers like EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and other known game developers both large and small.  All apps on the store get reviewed... so review the app.  Pretty sure XCloud is going to come up clean.  The streamed games are downloaded.  They reside on MS servers.  Pretty sure they're clean as well.  The content rating is governed by ESRB.  There is no safety issue with XCloud.  

It's a revenue issue.  That's totally okay for it to be a revenue issue.  Apple wants to figure out how to get paid for iOS access.  I don't see a problem with that desire.  Trying to couch the issue as a safety issue is simply FUD.  

"The App Store was created to be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers," a spokesperson said in August. "Before they go on our store, all apps are reviewed against the same set of guidelines that are intended to protect customers and provide a fair and level playing field to developers."
    gatorguyctt_zhOfer
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Er … isn’t doing a web app what Apple has been suggesting since day 1?
    tmayBeatsqwerty52applguyforegoneconclusionaderutterleavingthebiggStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,362member

There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  They are literally the exact same games being played on consolea, PC, and Mac from developers like EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and other known game developers both large and small.  All apps on the store get reviewed... so review the app.  Pretty sure XCloud is going to come up clean.  The streamed games are downloaded.  They reside on MS servers.  Pretty sure they're clean as well.  The content rating is governed by ESRB.  There is no safety issue with XCloud.  

It's a revenue issue.  That's totally okay for it to be a revenue issue.  Apple wants to figure out how to get paid for iOS access.  I don't see a problem with that desire.  Trying to couch the issue as a safety issue is simply FUD.  

"The App Store was created to be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers," a spokesperson said in August. "Before they go on our store, all apps are reviewed against the same set of guidelines that are intended to protect customers and provide a fair and level playing field to developers."
    If it was a revenue issue, Apple wouldn't have advised a browser based, web app, game streaming solution, in which Apple collects nothing. It is completely about control, which includes security, safety, and customer service. Obviously, you disagree with that. 

Here's the part where I go, "game over". and you mosey on over to some other vital thread to occupy and entertain yourself.
    edited October 2020 BeatsbestkeptsecretapplguyforegoneconclusionaderutterrazorpitleavingthebiggStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,590member
    There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  ...  Pretty sure they're clean as well.  The content rating is governed by ESRB.  There is no safety issue with XCloud.  
    I have a sincere question for you, and I do not know how you will answer it: Do you also feel that there is nothing unsafe or untrusted about an alternate app store? The Xcloud app is essentially the same thing as an alternate app store, and it's a store that does not adhere in any way, shape or form to Apple's App Store rules.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

As @TMay has pointed out, if it was a revenue issue, then Apple wouldn't suggest running the service through a browser.

There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  They are literally the exact same games being played on consolea, PC, and Mac from developers like EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and other known game developers both large and small
    Well, you're speaking from a technical point of view. Apple's apps are not only reviewed to ensure they don't misbehave once they arrive on the iPhone, they're also reviewed for suitability for their intended audience and for the platform in general. What Microsoft thinks is suitable for the platform.

You forgot to bring up the 'streaming movies' argument, so I'll do it for you. Streaming movies is not the same as streaming games. To begin with, streaming a movie service is a nice clear separation between what part Apple plays in the transaction and what part Netflix plays. This is why no one is busting Apple's chops about having the movie 'Cuties' on their platform, because people know that it's not Apple, it's Netflix (though I bet Apple wishes they could block it). If a game includes questionable content, then folk will instantly blame Apple because they're playing it on an iPhone. Apple allowed it through because it came through an app on Apple's service. Forcing them to go through the browser gives Apple a nice layer of "hands-off". 

The other difference is that movies are far less interactive than games. It would be quite unusual for a movie to start offering to sell you bitcoins and then take your credit card details before allowing you to continue playing. 

All apps on the store get reviewed... so review the app. 

How? The app is streamed. There is no guarantee that what the developers would stream the same app that they submitted for review, and Apple would have no way to check. Look how easy it was for Epic to sneak a payment module into a game that Apple had actually checked. Checking a streaming app would be next to impossible.

Oh, and of course, if you allow one company to add a streaming app then Apple would have to allow all of them, even the ones we've never heard of and who could be potential fraudsters. If they only allowed the big companies it then you'd start complaining about that wouldn't you?
    qwerty52gregoriusmtmayaderutterleavingthebiggStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

It is a safety issue. Even if every game is safe if Apple allows Microsoft to break the rules then they will have to allow others also who may be malicious.
    qwerty52aderutterrazorpitleavingthebiggStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Beats said:

It is a safety issue. Even if every game is safe if Apple allows Microsoft to break the rules then they will have to allow others also who may be malicious.

Yes, and before we know, we will be back in the time, when AppStore did not existed.
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  ...  Pretty sure they're clean as well.  The content rating is governed by ESRB.  There is no safety issue with XCloud.  
    I have a sincere question for you, and I do not know how you will answer it: Do you also feel that there is nothing unsafe or untrusted about an alternate app store? The Xcloud app is essentially the same thing as an alternate app store, and it's a store that does not adhere in any way, shape or form to Apple's App Store rules.
    The XCloud app is nothing like an alternate app store.  In an alternate app store you would have the ability to download apps.  Via XCloud you have no ability to download apps.  So I'm not sure how you see similarities between XCloud and an app store.  Perhaps you could explain your thinking.
    ctt_zhOfer
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:

As @TMay has pointed out, if it was a revenue issue, then Apple wouldn't suggest running the service through a browser.

There's nothing inherently unsafe or untrusted about the games being streamed on XCloud.  They are literally the exact same games being played on consolea, PC, and Mac from developers like EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and other known game developers both large and small
    Well, you're speaking from a technical point of view. Apple's apps are not only reviewed to ensure they don't misbehave once they arrive on the iPhone, they're also reviewed for suitability for their intended audience and for the platform in general. What Microsoft thinks is suitable for the platform.

You forgot to bring up the 'streaming movies' argument, so I'll do it for you. Streaming movies is not the same as streaming games. To begin with, streaming a movie service is a nice clear separation between what part Apple plays in the transaction and what part Netflix plays. This is why no one is busting Apple's chops about having the movie 'Cuties' on their platform, because people know that it's not Apple, it's Netflix (though I bet Apple wishes they could block it). If a game includes questionable content, then folk will instantly blame Apple because they're playing it on an iPhone. Apple allowed it through because it came through an app on Apple's service. Forcing them to go through the browser gives Apple a nice layer of "hands-off". 

The other difference is that movies are far less interactive than games. It would be quite unusual for a movie to start offering to sell you bitcoins and then take your credit card details before allowing you to continue playing. 

How? The app is streamed. There is no guarantee that what the developers would stream the same app that they submitted for review, and Apple would have no way to check. Look how easy it was for Epic to sneak a payment module into a game that Apple had actually checked. Checking a streaming app would be next to impossible.

Oh, and of course, if you allow one company to add a streaming app then Apple would have to allow all of them, even the ones we've never heard of and who could be potential fraudsters. If they only allowed the big companies it then you'd start complaining about that wouldn't you?
    1.  I could be wrong about the revenue angle since Apple did suggest web apps.
    2.  You're 100% wrong about the differences between stream a game vs a movie.  They're both H.265 streams.  One being more interactive than the other isn't a difference of function, it's a difference of degree.  They both do the same thing at different rates.
    3.  Your logic: If Netflix has questionable content, Netflix gets blamed.  If MS has questionable content, Apple gets blamed.  But if it goes through a browser Apple gets no blame. That makes absolutely no sense and it's silly to think anyone would be making that distinction. No one would because the entire premise is laughable.  The MPA governs content ratings on Netflix.  The ESRB governs ratings on video games.  The content of the entire catalogue of games is a known entity.  So instead of referencing vague non-existent boogie-men hiding in the game catalog, bring up a specific objection.  I'll save you some time.  You can't.
    4.  There is only one app.  XCloud.  The XCloud app is not streamed.  Reading over your response, I started to get the impression you really don't know what XCloud is.
    5.  This gem solidified my impression:  "There is no guarantee that what the developers would stream the same app that they submitted for review, and Apple would have no way to check." You don't know what XCloud is or how it works.  What developers?  There are no developers streaming anything.  You're simply forming arguments to defend Apple's position without knowing anything about the actual subject matter.  You're using vague (unrelated) examples because you can't speak to the specifics.
    6.  That last one is complete BS.  Apple wouldn't have to let anyone have a streaming app.  Apple rejects all types of apps on a daily basis. That's reductive FUD.  More vague boogie-men.  

edited October 2020 gatorguyctt_zhOfer
  • Reply 10 of 21
    CloudTalkin said: The XCloud app is nothing like an alternate app store.  In an alternate app store you would have the ability to download apps.  Via XCloud you have no ability to download apps.  So I'm not sure how you see similarities between XCloud and an app store.  Perhaps you could explain your thinking.
    Why would Microsoft care about being in the App Store? That's the question you should be asking yourself. They can already avoid Apple's cut and Apple's review process by doing a web version. Or perhaps there's a value to having your products being seen and being available in the App Store? That might be what MS doesn't want to admit.
    aderutterAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    CloudTalkin said: The XCloud app is nothing like an alternate app store.  In an alternate app store you would have the ability to download apps.  Via XCloud you have no ability to download apps.  So I'm not sure how you see similarities between XCloud and an app store.  Perhaps you could explain your thinking.
    Why would Microsoft care about being in the App Store? That's the question you should be asking yourself. They can already avoid Apple's cut and Apple's review process by doing a web version. Or perhaps there's a value to having your products being seen and being available in the App Store? That might be what MS doesn't want to admit.
    I think they preferred to be in the App Store because of continuity of product.  "We have one app to rule them all."  No matter the ecosystem, be it PC, Mac, Android, or iOS... you only need the XCloud app.  One tap, frictionless access to hundreds of games.  Sort of lessens the impact when one of the ecosystems has to be accessed through a web app.  It's no longer one tap frictionless access.  

Microsoft has over 60 apps on the App Store.  Of course there's value in that, but I don't understand the "doesn't want to admit it".  The fact that they have so many apps on the App Store kinda sorta indicates they know the value of the App Store.  Certainly they know there's a higher value on the App Store versus having to run via a browser app.
    ctt_zhOferAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:

2.  You're 100% wrong about the differences between stream a game vs a movie.  They're both H.265 streams.  One being more interactive than the other isn't a difference of function, it's a difference of degree.  They both do the same thing at different rates.
    3.  Your logic: If Netflix has questionable content, Netflix gets blamed.  If MS has questionable content, Apple gets blamed.  But if it goes through a browser Apple gets no blame. That makes absolutely no sense and it's silly to think anyone would be making that distinction. No one would because the entire premise is laughable.  The MPA governs content ratings on Netflix.  The ESRB governs ratings on video games.  The content of the entire catalogue of games is a known entity.  So instead of referencing vague non-existent boogie-men hiding in the game catalog, bring up a specific objection.  I'll save you some time.  You can't.
    4.  There is only one app.  XCloud.  The XCloud app is not streamed.  Reading over your response, I started to get the impression you really don't know what XCloud is.
    5.  This gem solidified my impression:  "There is no guarantee that what the developers would stream the same app that they submitted for review, and Apple would have no way to check." You don't know what XCloud is or how it works.  What developers?  There are no developers streaming anything.  Your simply forming arguments to defend Apple's position without knowing anything about the actual subject matter.  You're using vague (unrelated) examples because you can't speak to the specifics.
    6.  That last one is complete BS.  Apple wouldn't have to let anyone have a streaming app.  Apple rejects all types of apps on a daily basis. That's reductive FUD.  More vague boogie-men.  

You seem to base your argument completely on XCloud, while Apple has to base its policies not just on the MS, or Google participating, but on any future participants, some of which will not have the wherewithal to provide the same security levels as MS, yet Apple has to provide a level playing field for all, including the worst cases.

That Apple isn't interested in providing game streaming as an App is obvious, and they likely have good reasons that you do not accept, but it isn't FUD. 

More to the point, this has now been decided, and Web Apps will be the preferred interface to the iOS user, not Apps. Game streaming comes to iOS at no cost to the service, and Apple generates no revenue, but Apple also has little to no risk to its brand with Web Apps as the game streaming interface.
    aderutterStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    tmay said:
    Rayz2016 said:

5.  This gem solidified my impression:  "There is no guarantee that what the developers would stream the same app that they submitted for review, and Apple would have no way to check." You don't know what XCloud is or how it works.  What developers?  There are no developers streaming anything.  Your simply forming arguments to defend Apple's position without knowing anything about the actual subject matter.  You're using vague (unrelated) examples because you can't speak to the specifics.

You seem to base your argument completely on XCloud, while Apple has to base its policies not just on the MS, or Google participating, but on any future participants, some of which will not have the wherewithal to provide the same security levels as MS, yet Apple has to provide a level playing field for all, including the worst cases.

That Apple isn't interested in providing game streaming as an App is obvious, and they likely have good reasons that you do not accept, but it isn't FUD. 

More to the point, this has now been decided, and Web Apps will be the preferred interface to the iOS user, not Apps. Game streaming comes to iOS at no cost to the service, and Apple generates no revenue, but Apple also has little to no risk to its brand with Web Apps as the game streaming interface.
    My argument is based on XCloud because that's the subject at hand. Specificity helps focus the conversation imo. Addressing vague generalities doesn't really accomplish anything.  Apple will deal with future apps on a case by case basis.  As they always have.  Arguments claiming if Apple does for one they have to do for all... they're asinine.  Apple has never operated that way and ample evidence exists to demonstrate it.   

You're right, it is obvious they aren't interested in game streaming as an app.  You're also right that their actual reasoning may be good.  However, the reason that keeps being presented is FUD as it relates to XCloud.  It's a boilerplate innocuous statement that says nothing, means nothing in relation to XCloud, and is intentionally open to speculation about safety and security concerns that are non-existent in this instance.  

The fact that MS decided to go the web app route doesn't shut down discussion of the topic.  Apple had little to no risk to it's brand anyway so I'm not really sure what you're referencing here .
    edited October 2020 ctt_zhOferAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 21
    So MS are following Amazon in doing what they should have from the start instead of whinging about other companies rules on other companies platforms. 

I’m glad sanity is prevailing and MS and Amazon have to not be lazy if they want to free-load on Apple users. 

The other good thing anout this is that it will show that Epic are a bunch of pathetic cry-babies that don’t want to put any effort in but want all the rewards cost-free from Apple’s work in building a successful platform. After all, Epic could build a web-app steaming version of Fortnite if they wanted... 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:
    There are technical and business reasons to prefer using apps. Especially on iOS, which doesn't enable the range of PWA functionality that, well, every other platform allows. So while Microsoft is doing this on order to get on iOS, they aren't happy about it, and they are only going to enable the browser on iOS as part of their "phase 3" rollout which will enable xCloud via browser on all platforms, including their own Windows.

Amazon is a different beast. They would prefer keeping Google users off their service for as long as possible. That is why they are not doing an app right now for anything but Fire TV. Web access will be available but only for Apple and Microsoft devices. They will block Android and Chromebook browser users. Of course, they will need to enable it on their own Kindle Fire devices at some point because enabling it for iPads and iPhones but not their own hardware is a raw deal for the people who bought their hardware. When that happens, folks on Google Android will be able to run Luna using the Amazon App Store. 

Funny story: did you know that Apple tried to stop using Amazon from using the "App Store" name via lawsuit? They dropped it only after a judge told them "yeah, you can't trademark that ... and even if you could you didn't invent that term in the first place anyway." Hilarious ...
    OferAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 21
    One more thing...

Wouldn’t it be great if Microsoft built a web-app-store for web-app developers to submit their web-apps to with no review process, no rules and no revenue to Apple. That should prove and show loudly that the native-app-store is not the only route to getting software on an iOS device.
    Ofer
  • Reply 17 of 21
    cloudguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    There are technical and business reasons to prefer using apps. Especially on iOS, which doesn't enable the range of PWA functionality that, well, every other platform allows. So while Microsoft is doing this on order to get on iOS, they aren't happy about it, and they are only going to enable the browser on iOS as part of their "phase 3" rollout which will enable xCloud via browser on all platforms, including their own Windows.

Amazon is a different beast. They would prefer keeping Google users off their service for as long as possible. That is why they are not doing an app right now for anything but Fire TV. Web access will be available but only for Apple and Microsoft devices. They will block Android and Chromebook browser users. Of course, they will need to enable it on their own Kindle Fire devices at some point because enabling it for iPads and iPhones but not their own hardware is a raw deal for the people who bought their hardware. When that happens, folks on Google Android will be able to run Luna using the Amazon App Store. 

Funny story: did you know that Apple tried to stop using Amazon from using the "App Store" name via lawsuit? They dropped it only after a judge told them "yeah, you can't trademark that ... and even if you could you didn't invent that term in the first place anyway." Hilarious ...
    Trademarks aren't inventions, so don't require "first use". These are applied for, first come, first serve, and there are some other requirements.

"App Store" was shut down because it was too generic, wasn't first use, even though at the time, it was generally in reference to Apple's specific App store.

So, no, not a funny story. Just Trademark business as usual.

Given how many people have been stating that game streaming is equivalent of Netflix, including yourself, why would extensive PWA functionality be needed anyway?
    edited October 2020 Alex1Ntenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,907member
    cloudguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Here’s another funny one — in 1997 Amazon patented the generic idea of 1-click shopping on the web. Totally bogus, but the clueless patent office even granted it. Your point?
    tmayAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Now I wish Apple TV had a Safari browser...
    edited October 2020 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I think the reason why Apple wants the streaming service app AND every game within that streaming service to be listed in the App Store is because users will invariably look for a game title in the App Store.  If you can’t find (NewGame) in the App Store because you have to know to install (AssociatedCloudService) first and search for the game in there, people will get frustrated.  People intuitively know to install and search Netflix for a movie. They know movies aren’t available in the App Store. But they’re more likely to search the App Store for a game title. How many people searched for and installed Fortnite without even knowing it was a product of Epic Games. Now imagine if they couldn’t find Fortnite? Instead, they had to know to search for Epic Streaming Service, install it, create and account, then search for Fortnite. 
    tmayAlex1Nwatto_cobra