Half of iPhone users believe they have 5G connectivity now

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a survey taken before the "iPhone 12" launch, roughly 49% of U.S. consumers believe their current iPhone is 5G-compliant.

There seems to be a considerable amount of confusion surrounding the move to 5G. As it turns out, nearly half of U.S. consumers across all major carriers believe their iPhone can access 5G. This, of course, is not the case, as no iPhone -- up through the iPhone 11 line -- currently supports 5G.

The "iPhone 12" is suspected of being Apple's first 5G capable smartphone. Leaked carrier emails have also suggested as much.

The study, performed by Global Wireless Solutions, asked 5,000 U.S. smartphone users if they believed their iPhone could access 5G. While 49% answered yes, 29% of all smartphone users were unsure whether their phones could access 5G.

Some of the confusion could be attributed to the carriers. For instance, AT&T had falsely displayed a 5G E connectivity logo on consumers' phones connected to 4G networks as early as February of 2019. This was months before the first 5G phone from any manufacturer would even be available for purchase, and a year before the carrier started rolling out its 5G network.

GWS points out that when only looking at users that purchased a phone in 2020, nearly a quarter were unsure about their phone's 5G capabilities.

Much of the uncertainty comes from rural and suburban folks. About 45% of rural consumers and 47% of suburban consumers are unsure whether their carrier provides 5G. Nearly 73% of urban users believe their carrier offers 5G.

Image Credit: Global Wireless Solutions

Consumers between the ages of 35 and 44 were the most confident in what they believe that their phone is capable of. In that age group, 62% believe that they owned 5G capable phones. Consumers above the age of 65 were the least certain, with only 18% believing their phones were 5G capable.

The study also shows that while consumers are interested in 5G, 74% don't believe that they'll see meaningful benefits this year. Additionally, 38% of consumers have stated that they would not pay more for 5G, maintaining that they shouldn't be charged more for improved network and device performance.

Of those excited about the switch to 5G, 54% said they were most excited about the increased data speeds, while 16% were most excited for improved video calling and conferencing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    That belief derives from two facts: 1- The carriers intentional deceptions, untruths and conscious effort to confuse consumers, 2- Most consumers' tech intelligence rates with that of moron. 

I find it interesting that the younger age groups 18-44 are the easiest to deceive. Since most of them have Apple devices you know they don’t have a 5G phone. The percentage of believers is astounding. I guess older people aren’t quite as easily sold BS and have higher consumer intelligence. 
    edited October 2020 zroger73tokyojimullamacornchipalanhmuthuk_vanalingamsdw2001
  • Reply 2 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Anyone with AT&T doesn’t have 5G because in typical fashion AT&T is able to say they have 5G even though it isn’t, just like they did with LTE. It doesn’t really matter because the number of places you can use 5G is limited and you only get the high speed if you’re next to a tower. I’d rather see longer range LTE along with more towers than worry about 5G. Actually can’t wait to test Starlink which might take over everything. 
    j2fusionllamaflyingdpsdw2001
  • Reply 3 of 31
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    rob53 said:
    Actually can’t wait to test Starlink which might take over everything. 
    Starlink requires a stationary dish about the size of a large pizza. I don’t think that is going to have a lot of impact on mobile. It is being targeted mostly for rural broadband use. 
    edited October 2020 chia
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jdb8167 said:
    rob53 said:
    Starlink requires a stationary dish about the size of a large pizza. I don’t think that is going to have a lot of impact on mobile. It is being targeted mostly for rural broadband use. 
    Excellent mention!
    https://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musk-shares-details-on-starlink-plug-in-home-broadband-setup/
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jdb8167 said:
    rob53 said:
     All that space tech just for rural use seems a waste. Then you read the worldwide rural population is not far behind urban numbers although urban is growing faster, or was, maybe that will change. That said I am sure static urban use will occur too, why not? Who doesn't like pizza?  ;)
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Ignorance is bliss? Idiocracy?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I don’t blame consumers at all for their ignorance on such matters. The blame is clearly the result of engineers and marketing folks involved with the creation of these products who have too little understanding or empathy for the consumers that they serve. Terms like 3G, 4G, LTE, etc., have meaning to deeply immersed, internally focused industry insiders and fans but are just so much technobabble to a very large population of consumers who simply want to purchase a product to fit their needs. This phenomenon isn’t unique in any way to smartphones, it pervades automobiles, consumer electronics, and many other engineered products.

That said, there’s nothing malicious or intentionally ill mannered going on. It’s simply that a lot of people involved in product development and marketing are highly focused on the technical details and associated benefits of what they are creating and bringing to market. They live and breathe in a bubble of their own creation and don’t always know how to convey their understanding and language beyond the bubble. In many cases what they’ve created has no precedent to “outsiders” so the internal language leaks into the public realm, often in gobbledegook fashion, because they simply can’t come up with an answer to a word that rhymes with “orange” kind of challenge. Without a relatable way to get the word out, they resort to trying to “educate” their customers, which can be a very scary adventure when you have marketeers and sales people stepping up to the lectern.

There is no easy answer, but clearly the challenge and responsibility for bringing consumers up to speed is on the creators of the technology, not the consumers who just want to know what it is that the creators of technology are really selling, and why it matters to them. Consumers aren’t stupid, but you have to communicate with them in a language they understand, and you have to put yourself in their shoes (empathy) while trying to educate them on the benefits of your product. 
    flyingdpaegean
  • Reply 8 of 31
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    rob53 said:
    Anyone with AT&T doesn’t have 5G because in typical fashion AT&T is able to say they have 5G even though it isn’t, just like they did with LTE. It doesn’t really matter because the number of places you can use 5G is limited and you only get the high speed if you’re next to a tower. I’d rather see longer range LTE along with more towers than worry about 5G. Actually can’t wait to test Starlink which might take over everything. 
    This.  There are many places where I can’t even get 3G where I live. Having a 5G capable phone means nothing when you get the dreaded no signal indicator on your phone.  
    rob53Dogperson
  • Reply 9 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    And then you have THESE folks:

GeorgeBMacllamajeffharris
  • Reply 10 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    hentaiboy said:

Don’t worry. These types also reject vaccines and Mother Nature will continue to cull the herd. We won't have to worry about them for much longer. As for me, I got my Pneumonia vaccines, my Shingles vaccines, and my Flu vaccine this year. I’m good until the covid-19 vaccine drops (properly tested and vetted) at which time I get that too.
    alanhtokyojimullamaflyingdpjeffharris
  • Reply 11 of 31
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member

Consumers between the ages of 35 and 44 were the most confident in what they believe that their phone is capable of. In that age group, 62% believe that they owned 5G capable phones. Consumers above the age of 65 were the least certain, with only 18% believing their phones were 5G capable.

Image Credit Global Wireless Solutions

The 35-44 are the most ignorant. It seems to me from this data that the 65-74 group are the most savvy, more people in all the other groups believed their phones were 5G capable when none of them are!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rob53 said:

It seems to me that Americans didn't used to tolerate deceptions like that.   Sure, they expected and accepted minor fibs and exaggerations, but not intentional flagrant lies.   I think our standards have been lowered.
    llamaflyingdp
  • Reply 13 of 31
    rob53 said:

It seems to me that Americans didn't used to tolerate deceptions like that.   Sure, they expected and accepted minor fibs and exaggerations, but not intentional flagrant lies.   I think our standards have been lowered.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 31
    MacPro said:
    jdb8167 said:
    rob53 said:
     All that space tech just for rural use seems a waste. Then you read the worldwide rural population is not far behind urban numbers although urban is growing faster, or was, maybe that will change. That said I am sure static urban use will occur too, why not? Who doesn't like pizza?  ;)

It will be interesting to see how the virus impacts that.
    Already there are stories of people moving out of their offices and out to remote islands, forests and mountain tops during social distancing protocols.

But increasingly organizations are realizing that not only is it possible to operate with a  remote work force but that it's cheaper and often it is possible to attract a higher quality employee -- the "A" players as Steve Jobs described them.

For the staff, they end up with higher quality lives living in places they used to think of as vacation spots while they save money moving out of expensive, tech cities out to more remote areas.

Expanding quality, high speed internet access will only feed that trend.
    llama
  • Reply 15 of 31
    alanh said:

Image Credit Global Wireless Solutions

The 35-44 are the most ignorant. It seems to me from this data that the 65-74 group are the most savvy, more people in all the other groups believed their phones were 5G capable when none of them are!

I think that old image of grandma not knowing how to turn on an electronic device is rapidly fading.
    For myself, at 70 years old I've been using computers for over 45 years now.   For the first 10 of those years I was designing and implementing computer systems.   Then for the next 20 I was programming them, supporting them and designing and building them.    Today, younger folks, even teenagers, come to me when they have a computer question or problem.

The times they are a changing....
    flyingdpalanh
  • Reply 16 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Well, keeps proven the point that 5G isn't gonna be the big driven some here think it will be. Most people will say "so what?"

tommikele said:
    That belief derives from two facts: 1- The carriers intentional deceptions, untruths and conscious effort to confuse consumers, 2- Most consumers' tech intelligence rates with that of moron. 

And those are iPhone users! iKnockoff users are the worst of the worst. Some think they have an iPhone and studies have shown these morons are less educated and score lower on tests! Some iKnockoff morons believe Samsung invented the iPhone!

lkrupp said:
    hentaiboy said:

Don’t worry. These types also reject vaccines and Mother Nature will continue to cull the herd. We won't have to worry about them for much longer. As for me, I got my Pneumonia vaccines, my Shingles vaccines, and my Flu vaccine this year. I’m good until the covid-19 vaccine drops (properly tested and vetted) at which time I get that too.

Vaccines are for EXTREME cases. Then there's the other side who need a shot for everything like the common flu.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    MacPro said:
    jdb8167 said:
    rob53 said:

It will be interesting to see how the virus impacts that.
    Already there are stories of people moving out of their offices and out to remote islands, forests and mountain tops during social distancing protocols.

But increasingly organizations are realizing that not only is it possible to operate with a  remote work force but that it's cheaper and often it is possible to attract a higher quality employee -- the "A" players as Steve Jobs described them.

For the staff, they end up with higher quality lives living in places they used to think of as vacation spots while they save money moving out of expensive, tech cities out to more remote areas.

Expanding quality, high speed internet access will only feed that trend.

But being less social also has a negative impact. Steve Jobs made employees socialize which created the genius of Pixar and Apple inventions.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 18 of 31
    I would be surprised if half of Americans actually understand what 5G is or would give them. Mix that with confusing media messages about China taking over 5G and the US fighting back against them over the last three years, along with coverage of anti-5G protesters where you have to read a bit too much of the article to know that it doesn't really exist already, and AT&T literally showing a 5G logo on phones connected to their LTE network, and I would be shocked if even a third of Americans could give an informed opinion on what the state of the 5G world actually is. 

And, exactly why should it matter whether the public understands the nuances between 4G and 5G anyway? This is a matter for tech titans, government regulatory entities, and telco and local government infrastructure investment, who are all tasked with eventually figuring out how to get services to the public that the public will (hopefully) benefit from. All the general public needs to know is that technology is continuing to get better and that the tech and regulatory worlds have to work together to make sure that continues to be the case. 

It would be more interesting if the US general public could be made more aware of the many ways that US tech infrastructure is falling behind much of the world precisely because our tech-regulatory-local-government relationships are so dysfunctional in getting actual tech infrastructure out to all of us, and just how much of that is caused by entrenched tech telco businesses buying off politicians and regulators. Sure, Americans know that corporate America basically owns US governance at all levels, but it isn't clear how many Americans know how much more advanced many other countries are simply because they don't have the US's level and forms of corporate-government corruption. 
    flyingdpGeorgeBMacdewme
  • Reply 19 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    We have a local crackpot in our neighborhood that scurries around at night (like a rat) placing leaflets on our car windshields about the dangers of 5G.  It's random so we're never sure when she'll do it.  Honestly, if I catch her doing in the act, I'm going to rip her a new orifice.  It's embarrassing that today's world allows such ignorance to flourish.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The general public will become familiar with 5G and it’s capabilities when 1. It is available to them in their area 2. The telecoms begin to promote availability 3. They understand that only certain newer technology phones will be able to take advantage of the faster speed via the mainstream press and marketing by handset manufacturers.