Quibi struggling to find buyer after rejection by Apple SVP Eddy Cue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Quibi founder Jeffrey Katzenberg is reportedly having a hard time finding a buyer for the struggling short-form video streaming service, after being rebuffed by Apple.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Short-form video streaming service Quibi is said to be exploring "strategic options," including the possibility of a sale, after failing to hit initial subscriber targets. Thus far, however, it has come up short.

According to The Information, Katzenberg has recently pitched the possibility of acquiring Quibi to several technology and entertainment companies. Some of the executives he approached include Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of internet software and services. Katzenberg was turned down.

Quibi was floated as a possible target of an Apple takeover earlier in 2020. Along with Apple, Katzenberg's pitch was also rejected by WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and Facebook app chief Fidji Simo, The Information reported.

Part of the reason why buyers keep turning the service down is that it doesn't have much to offer. It only owns the content on its platform for a couple of years. That's because it initially enticed creators to make shows by including terms that they could license their programs to other services after two years.

The video service first launched in April, and sought to differentiate itself with a heavy focus on short-form and mobile-only streaming content.

Quibi planned to hit more than seven million subscribers by the end of its first year. Six months later, the streaming service has between 400,000 and 500,000 paying subscribers. Those numbers also include subscribers who got a free year of the service through a deal with T-Mobile.

Katzenberg may still have other options, including a sale to a company in the gaming industry or licensing Quibi shows to other services after converting them to full-length episodes. Although Quibi episodes are typically as short as five minutes, creators could stitch them together into full-length content for other platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    "Katzenberg may still have other options, including a sale to a company in the gaming industry or licensing Quibi shows to other services after converting them to full-length episodes. Although Quibi episodes are typically as short as five minutes, creators could stitch them together into full-length content for other platforms."

AFAIK, and as you referenced, Quibi only licensed its shows for 2 years, and I doubt they have the rights to combine them into full-length episodes during that time. But after 2 years, creators of those shows can, and almost certainly will do that. Not that it will do Quibi any good. They're toast.
    cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    Why would anyone invest in this lame idea?
    Japheymagman1979anantksundaramStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    They can blame the pandemic all they want, but the simple truth is that it just wasn’t very good. I watched a couple shows in its first few days, then completely forgot about it until a calendar reminder told me to cancel the free trial. It’s a shame too, because of all the talent involved. An interesting experiment, but a failed experiment.  At this point it’s time to put it out of its misery. RIP. 
    edited October 2020 applguyh4y3sStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 21
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    They spent a billion dollars producing TV shows that can only be watched on a mobile device.  They don't even have an Apple TV app, which might take all of 2 weeks to develop once you've created the infrastructure to support the iOS app. 

magman1979StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "Katzenberg may still have other options, including a sale to a company in the gaming industry or licensing Quibi shows to other services after converting them to full-length episodes. Although Quibi episodes are typically as short as five minutes, creators could stitch them together into full-length content for other platforms."

AFAIK, and as you referenced, Quibi only licensed its shows for 2 years, and I doubt they have the rights to combine them into full-length episodes during that time. But after 2 years, creators of those shows can, and almost certainly will do that. Not that it will do Quibi any good. They're toast.

They only licensed the shows for 2 years? I thought they were exclusive to Quibi forever. What a dumb decision!

entropys said:

It's innovative, exploits all the good of mobile and the shows are all original. Not too bad.
  • Reply 6 of 21

It's innovative, exploits all the good of mobile and the shows are all original. Not too bad.

Then why is it failing? - I may have been around a while, but watching anything longer than a couple of minutes on your phone just doesn't appeal as a good experience.

• Reply 7 of 21
    Joe PiervincentiJoe Piervincenti Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    Man, they’ve actually had a couple of decent shows, but sheesh, they thought they’d hit 7 million subscribers in a year?  that is just insane to me...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    This seemed like a bad idea from the start. Guess I wasn’t alone in that thought. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 21
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    There are too many streaming services already.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Katzenberg?? the guy who gave Steve a hard time at Disney, and later stole John Lasseter's idea about "A Bug's Life" and made a copycat version but sucked in every way?? he's a snake, he's not innovative, he deserves failures, screw him
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Katzenberg?? the guy who gave Steve a hard time at Disney, and later stole John Lasseter's idea about "A Bug's Life" and made a copycat version but sucked in every way?? he's a snake, he's not innovative, he deserves failures, screw him
    I actually liked „Antz“ better. 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I tried quibi’s 3 month trial and hated the service. The fact that episodes were so short was really annoying.
    i think the concept of short videos was trendy rather than focusing on different interesting content. They literally just took full length movies and cut it up into 6
    minute episodes. 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Takes more than a cute synthetic name to make a good product. Didn’t anyone have the courage to tell Katzenberg that the emperor had no clothes? 
    stompy
  • Reply 14 of 21

Here's how it could work: let's say channel X or platform Y was interested in a full length version of a Quibi show. It could be either combining short episodes into a longer version, or actually making a longer version of what's now a short show. There are some really solid concepts on Quibi, it's just that no one is watching them. So--Quibi could charge a license fee to give channel X or platform Y the rights to a longer version, and of course the creators would have to get a cut of that deal to agree to it. However, even if this were going to happen, I don't think Quibi has enough content that others would want to license to generate the kinds of dollars needed to float the service for long. And, as others noted, they only bought 2 years of rights for what they have, and they've already lost six months of that time. 
  • Reply 15 of 21

Takes more than a cute synthetic name to make a good product. Didn’t anyone have the courage to tell Katzenberg that the emperor had no clothes? 
    Whether Quibi might have succeeded or not will never truly be known. What we can say is that a service designed from the ground up to offer high quality short-form content to people on the go on their mobile devices had the tragic misfortune of launching at the exact moment when people stopped going anywhere, locked down, and logged a record-breaking number of hours per day watching television on their big home screens. But, prior to the pandemic, if you looked at the data (which I'm guessing you have not) which revealed the crazy number of hours per day people were logging on their mobile screens, Quibi was anything but an "emperor has no clothes" kind of idea. Risky, yes, as bold ideas usually are, but it seemed like Katzenberg, a guy with an extraordinary track record of success in media, might have really been on to something. And, to answer your silly question that you ask with the visual acuity of 20/20 hindsight, other companies poured financial backing into Quibi because they believed Katzenberg was onto something, too. As it turns out, and perhaps to no one's surprise, not enough people locked at home during the worst pandemic in a century--and the worst unemployment since the Great Depression--want to pay extra money each month for a service that produces short-form content for their phones. One can debate whether the shows on Quibi were good enough to succeed, but I doubt that even the most critically acclaimed content ever made would have made a difference in this environment.  

• Reply 16 of 21
    Sounds like a vanity project by a couple of out-of-touch people wanting get in on 'cool.' I wonder about the judgment of the people who coughed up the billion dollars. 

As an aside, I think Whitman did ok with eBay, but has there been anything of note since? I recall a failed run for CA governor, a failed stint at HP, and now this. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    entropys said:
    Indeed, it was lame from cradle to grave. Such a waste of so much capital that could have been invested in earnest entrepreneurs and small businesses. Instead SV just flushes enormous wealth down the toilet over cocktail-napkin ideas. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 18 of 21

Beats said:

entropys said:
    No, it’s not. Short clips you could only watch on mobile. There’s nothing innovative about that; that’s just a cutting-room-floor bad idea left over from successful good ideas. 
  • Reply 19 of 21

charlesn said:

Whether Quibi might have succeeded or not will never truly be known. What we can say is that a service designed from the ground up to offer high quality short-form content to people on the go on their mobile devices had the tragic misfortune of launching at the exact moment when people stopped going anywhere, locked down, and logged a record-breaking number of hours per day watching television on their big home screens. But, prior to the pandemic, if you looked at the data (which I'm guessing you have not) which revealed the crazy number of hours per day people were logging on their mobile screens, Quibi was anything but an "emperor has no clothes" kind of idea. Risky, yes, as bold ideas usually are, but it seemed like Katzenberg, a guy with an extraordinary track record of success in media, might have really been on to something. And, to answer your silly question that you ask with the visual acuity of 20/20 hindsight, other companies poured financial backing into Quibi because they believed Katzenberg was onto something, too. As it turns out, and perhaps to no one's surprise, not enough people locked at home during the worst pandemic in a century--and the worst unemployment since the Great Depression--want to pay extra money each month for a service that produces short-form content for their phones. One can debate whether the shows on Quibi were good enough to succeed, but I doubt that even the most critically acclaimed content ever made would have made a difference in this environment.  
    Nope, it was still a very stupid idea, prior to the pandemic. People wrote about how stupid it was. Video content apps that already exist on mobile: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, HBO, etc etc... Nobody needed a mobile-only destination for short periods of video consumption. You can already do that on any of the apps. There is no value added in making it mobile only and short clips only. We already have mobile apps and the ability to stop viewing and hop off the bus.  

Different alone doesn’t mean good
    edited October 2020 firelock
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quibi was an idea that missed its window of opportunity by about 12 or 13 years. If it had come out when the iPhone was new, bandwidth was low, and mobile-only was still special, then maybe it would have stood a chance. But in 2020, with ubiquitous broadband and dozens of superior video streaming services that all have bigger catalogs, Quibi was a non-starter. As many, many others have noted, all of the streaming apps have a PAUSE BUTTON, there is no reason to make the content short-form and mobile exclusive. (And no, Airplay is not a good option.) People want to be able to watch their shows on whatever device they have in front of them, especially a computer or TV if it happens to be there, because that is a better user experience. Who would pay for such a limited service in this day and age? Very few, if any.

And I’m genuinely curious (this is not a put down or knock) how many of Quibi’s defenders in this forum are also subscribers?
    edited October 2020