Airbnb hires Jony Ive to design next-gen products and services

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Steve was good at picking people for the job that he defined. Not perfect, but very good. His track record speaks for itself. 

In the end the job was defined by him. If he knew you could deliver he would push relentlessly for perfection. 

He picked Tim to be COO, not CEO. Those are very different roles.  Tim has grown into his role as CEO but I doubt that Steve groomed him for it. 

Many others have left Apple and not shone as brightly as they did before. But some have. 

I’m honestly surprised that a seeming iconoclast like Jony would take this role at this company. Let’s see what happens. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,391member
    Airbnb makes physical products? I had no idea. I thought their only product was an app which was an interface to their service of connecting short-term tenants with home owners.  I’m a little stumped as to what Ive will be working on. Does anyone have an idea?

It also says he’ll be working on services. Again, what sort of service requires an industrial designer?
    I think what he does so well is much more fundamental than just industrial design. He’s really focused on understanding and applying empathic design principles to improve the relationships and experiences between humans and “things” whether they are physical things, virtual things, or a series of human-centric interactions that we’d call workflows, tasks, recipes, or user interfaces. Industrial design falls into a category of things that benefit from such an approach, as does workspace design, the UX in software applications, hotel check-in/check-out experiences, retail shopping experiences, web sites, doctor-patient interactions, and a plethora of other things involving humans. 

I wouldn’t understate the value of what a world class design approach can bring to any problem domain that can benefit from improving the interaction between things and humans. Jony and his team see the world much differently than most of us do. We only see the final results of the design process and not the work that went into making it happen. If they did an especially good job, we don’t even think about it because it appears to work exactly as we always expected it should work. 
    surgefilterroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Nice to see that Airbnb is using the exorbitant "service fees" they charge renters to good use.  
    razorpitcat52
  • Reply 24 of 41
    sflocal said:
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Good riddance. 
    Jobs decided what design of Ive's made the cut.  If Jobs didn't like a design, Ive would redesign it to facilitate the change.  Nothing wrong with that.  Not sure why the hate.

Actually, Steve was always knee deep in the overall designs of products. Ive's had zero hits at Apple and was ready to pack it in when we merged with Apple. Steve had the idea for the iMac that was release May '98 already in his head. Jony facilitated those ideas with styles from various in-house projects that had gone nowhere.

Jony has a lot to prove now that the talent of Apple isn't around him.
    cat52
  • Reply 25 of 41
    fred1 said:
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Jony would follow directions to an excruciating degree, which is what Steve loved about him. If he wants to waste his time on Airbnb trash, good riddance. 
    Sure, and Steve designed the glass stair (nope, the architect I.M. Pei)
    and the New York Apple flagship store (nope, that was the architectural firm of Bohlin, Cywinski, and Jackson)
    oh, and the new HQ (wrong again, that was the architect Lord Norman Foster).

Sure, Steve had input, but to give him all the credit for designing these is just false.  The same with saying that Jobs designed all the Apple products.  
    Those projects were reflections of Steve's obsession with what he wanted for them. Form and Function. These people didn't come up with a design from scratch and Steve said, ``Almost got it.'' Sorry, but the man was obsessive compulsive about design. He would scour design books and take from here and there and then with his own ideas discuss and insist the designers and engineers find a solution that could make whatever in his head work in the end. They all made each other better. You'd be surprised what a fire someone driven can light under another person's ass, no matter how talented they are.

randominternetpersonhubbaxcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Jony would follow directions to an excruciating degree, which is what Steve loved about him. If he wants to waste his time on Airbnb trash, good riddance. 

Like most eccentric geniuses, Ive needed guidance, direction and some guard rails to keep him and his designs in line.
    It is unfortunate that, after losing Steve, those things were taken away and / or watered down leaving him to run rampant.

The result was a growing imbalance of slick design over functionality.

I put the failure of that relationship more on Apple than on Ive because Ive never changed.   Apple did.   But, on the other hand, the result that world witnessed is common when eccentric geniuses lose their guides and mentors -- particularly when they are made into a god and put on pedestal.   The rise and fall of Nikola Tesla is another great example of a superb genius running wild without guidance or restraint.
    edited October 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Does Airbnb even have a viable business model if they're required to follow the same laws as everyone else? 
    razorpitcat52
  • Reply 28 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Jony would follow directions to an excruciating degree, which is what Steve loved about him. 
    What absurd nonsense. That you think that's how design works is a riot. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    sflocal said:
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Good riddance. 
    Jobs decided what design of Ive's made the cut.  If Jobs didn't like a design, Ive would redesign it to facilitate the change.  Nothing wrong with that.  Not sure why the hate.

Actually, Steve was always knee deep in the overall designs of products. Ive's had zero hits at Apple and was ready to pack it in when we merged with Apple. Steve had the idea for the iMac that was release May '98 already in his head. Jony facilitated those ideas with styles from various in-house projects that had gone nowhere.

Yeah you were a programmer there once, no that doesn't make you any sort of authority on how Ive worked. Yes they found him in the basement, no that doesn't mean he wasn't doing good design. Yes he flourished under Jobs, no that doesn't mean he was a big fraud hiding under Jobs' skirts. 

Stick to what you know.
    GeorgeBMacroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41

Like most eccentric geniuses, Ive needed guidance, direction and some guard rails to keep him and his designs in line.
    It is unfortunate that, after losing Steve, those things were taken away and / or watered down leaving him to run rampant.

lol so many wannabe experts here. What growing imbalance of slick design over functionality? Specifically? How does it compare to some of the questionable design decisions under Jobs, like the puck mouse, or the cube Mac, iPod socks, etc? 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Beats said:
    Airbnb makes physical products? I had no idea. I thought their only product was an app which was an interface to their service of connecting short-term tenants with home owners.  I’m a little stumped as to what Ive will be working on. Does anyone have an idea?

It also says he’ll be working on services. Again, what sort of service requires an industrial designer?

Ummm this is for future products and Jony designs software too.
    Not only that, but design, and especially Industrial Design, is as much about the process of design as it is about simply designing the things. My guess is that the scope of his involvement with Airbnb will go much deeper than just designing some icons and thank you cards.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    1348513485 Posts: 349member

Yeah you were a programmer there once, no that doesn't make you any sort of authority on how Ive worked. Yes they found him in the basement, no that doesn't mean he wasn't doing good design. Yes he flourished under Jobs, no that doesn't mean he was a big fraud hiding under Jobs' skirts. 

Stick to what you know.
    Well, unless you know differently, by personal experience such as Driftmeyer's, probably best not to be so dogmatic. NEXT had around 300 employees--not even half of my high school class and we knew just about everything about everyone--so there is no reason Jobs' design preferences/commands would have been closely held.
    edited October 2020 cat52
  • Reply 33 of 41
    ralphieralphie Posts: 106member
    Ive should be doing interior design for penitentiaries.  Inmates would appreciate his minimalistic aesthetic.
  • Reply 34 of 41

lol so many wannabe experts here. What growing imbalance of slick design over functionality? Specifically? How does it compare to some of the questionable design decisions under Jobs, like the puck mouse, or the cube Mac, iPod socks, etc? 

Thin & light for one.   Among other things it spawned the butterfly keyboard.

But, I wasn't trashing Ive.   I simply said that he needed balance and Steve gave that to him.  
    It's pretty commonly accepted that Steve boosted Ive up to a position of power where design was equal to or superior to the influence of the engineers.   But that didn't mean that engineering completely disappeared.   But, after Steve passed, Ive was boosted up even further to godly status and design became more influential than it should have been over engineering.  Now that he has left, Apple seems to be emphasizing functionality and engineering a bit more -- and that is good.
    GG1
  • Reply 35 of 41
    cornchip said:
    sflocal said:
    Exactly. Design isn’t one way. It’s a back and forth. It’s twisted around and shaped to perfection over time with many, many people involved. To think it was one guy saying “do it this way!” and then out it popped, is pretty out of touch.
    LOL. I’m getting notes from people here about how the design process works. That’s hilarious.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    fred1 said:
    Sure, and Steve designed the glass stair (nope, the architect I.M. Pei)
    and the New York Apple flagship store (nope, that was the architectural firm of Bohlin, Cywinski, and Jackson)
    oh, and the new HQ (wrong again, that was the architect Lord Norman Foster).

Sure, Steve had input, but to give him all the credit for designing these is just false.  The same with saying that Jobs designed all the Apple products.  
    You don’t seriously think Steve had extensive notes about every tiny thing that went on at his company? Well, you’re just wrong about that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41

I put the failure of that relationship more on Apple than on Ive because Ive never changed.   Apple did.   But, on the other hand, the result that world witnessed is common when eccentric geniuses lose their guides and mentors -- particularly when they are made into a god and put on pedestal.   The rise and fall of Nikola Tesla is another great example of a superb genius running wild without guidance or restraint.
    Tesla had too big of a heart and got screwed by Edison and Westinghouse. He didn’t have anyone to guide him except Samuel Clemens. 
    Tesla took a lot of his inventions to the grave, like his fluorescent lamp that could be powered by touching it and his famous box which contained a flaming ball that you could hold and put on your body without burning  yourself or setting fire to your clothes and hair. I don’t know if those were real or just stories, but a lot of people who knew Tesla confirmed seeing those inventions. 
    cat52GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41

Tesla had too big of a heart and got screwed by Edison and Westinghouse. He didn’t have anyone to guide him except Samuel Clemens. 
    Tesla took a lot of his inventions to the grave, like his fluorescent lamp that could be powered by touching it and his famous box which contained a flaming ball that you could hold and put on your body without burning  yourself or setting fire to your clothes and hair. I don’t know if those were real or just stories, but a lot of people who knew Tesla confirmed seeing those inventions. 

It seems that after Tesla was out on his own his ideas became more unconstrained.
    One of his biggest was "wireless charging" -- or more exactly a wireless power transmission over long distances.   By that time his credibility with investors was fading but he did manage to get JP Morgan to finance a facility to design, develop, build and test such an animal.   When he failed to produce in what others thought was a reasonable amount of time & money his funding was pulled and his project shut down (although Tesla never believed it had failed).   He died penniless without backers or supporters.

Edison failed to appreciate either his genius or his inventions -- probably because they involved scrapping his treasured DC power.
    But Westinghouse (likely similar to Jobs with Jony ive) was able to harness and direct both the genius and the inventions to make this a better world.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cornchip said:
    sflocal said:
    Exactly. Design isn’t one way. It’s a back and forth. It’s twisted around and shaped to perfection over time with many, many people involved. To think it was one guy saying “do it this way!” and then out it popped, is pretty out of touch.
    LOL. I’m getting notes from people here about how the design process works. That’s hilarious.

I’m an industrial designer. I’m somewhat qualified to speak on the design process.

Wasn’t trying to imply that SJ had no input or didn’t have good ideas, but it’s not like he was cranking out Rhino models or submitting .ai files. 
  • Reply 40 of 41
    cornchip said:
    cornchip said:
    sflocal said:

I’m an industrial designer. I’m somewhat qualified to speak on the design process.

Wasn’t trying to imply that SJ had no input or didn’t have good ideas, but it’s not like he was cranking out Rhino models or submitting .ai files. 
    Jony Ive got his assignments from Steve. Steve typically came up with the ideas and then culled from a mountain of options. It wasn’t Jony choosing from the designs, it was Jobs. And since Tim Cook has none of the background of Jobs he didn’t fill the role after Jobs died. I think Jony Ive was a rudderless ship at that point and that led up to him leaving Apple.
    GeorgeBMac