Airbnb hires Jony Ive to design next-gen products and services

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 41
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cornchip said:
    cornchip said:
    sflocal said:
    Ive was the one who tended to get the credit, but Jobs was the one making all the decisions on design. Good riddance. 
    Jobs decided what design of Ive's made the cut.  If Jobs didn't like a design, Ive would redesign it to facilitate the change.  Nothing wrong with that.  Not sure why the hate.
    Exactly. Design isn’t one way. It’s a back and forth. It’s twisted around and shaped to perfection over time with many, many people involved. To think it was one guy saying “do it this way!” and then out it popped, is pretty out of touch.
    LOL. I’m getting notes from people here about how the design process works. That’s hilarious.

I’m an industrial designer. I’m somewhat qualified to speak on the design process.

Wasn’t trying to imply that SJ had no input or didn’t have good ideas, but it’s not like he was cranking out Rhino models or submitting .ai files. 
    Jony Ive got his assignments from Steve. Steve typically came up with the ideas and then culled from a mountain of options. It wasn’t Jony choosing from the designs, it was Jobs. And since Tim Cook has none of the background of Jobs he didn’t fill the role after Jobs died. I think Jony Ive was a rudderless ship at that point and that led up to him leaving Apple.
    V cool you were there to witness all that. 

Edit: and what you said didn’t exactly contradict my point.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra