Users can buy iCloud storage in addition to Apple One plans, for up to 4TB

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple One subscribers have the ability to purchase cloud-based storage space beyond what's included in their plan, meaning that users can get up to 4TB of iCloud storage for the first time.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Previously, the largest iCloud storage plan that Apple offered was 2TB. With the release of Apple One on Friday, users have the opportunity to purchase additional iCloud storage space beyond the amount included in an Apple One plan.

As Apple notes in new iCloud Settings text, "you can purchase iCloud storage in addition to your 2TB Apple One plan." That means an Apple One Premier subscriber, for example, can nab up to 4TB of total iCloud storage.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Apple maintains its standard prices for this additional iCloud storage space. That means paying for an additional 2TB of space will cost users $9.99. With an Apple One Premier plan, that's a total of $39.94 a month. While that bodes well for users who need to maximize the amount of cloud storage space, it could also be a useful option for those who subscribe to Apple One Family or Individual plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    This still does me no good.

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

The Family bundle doesn't work, 200 GB isn't enough storage.

The Premier bundle doesn't *save* me money unless I want 2 more services (or Fitness+) I don't already subscribe to. 

Adding the 2TB to the Family bundle moves the cost up to $30, same situation.
    flyingdptitantigercornchipentropysdbvaporcaladanianomasouxyzzy01elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I had the 2TB plan iCloud storage plan. I just subscribed to the Apple One Premier. Now my iCloud storage shows I have 4TB.
    My iCloud 2TB storage plan shows it is still an active subscription, and it does not state that it will be assimilated into the Apple One Premier subscription.
    So what will happen, if I cancel the existing 2TB iCloud? Does everything dissapear? Then rebuilt on the new Premier 2TB plan?
    There is a link in the Apple One Premier subscription confirmation email I received, Learn what happens to your iCloud storage plan when you sign up for Apple One, but the link is to a non existent page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784.

rob53wwinter86pulseimagescornchiph4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    I have 2TB now at $9.99. I’m guessing I can’t get only the 4TB iCloud storage and not the other stuff? 
  • Reply 4 of 39
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    tomowa said:
    I had the 2TB plan iCloud storage plan. I just subscribed to the Apple One Premier. Now my iCloud storage shows I have 4TB.
    My iCloud 2TB storage plan shows it is still an active subscription, and it does not state that it will be assimilated into the Apple One Premier subscription.
    So what will happen, if I cancel the existing 2TB iCloud? Does everything dissapear? Then rebuilt on the new Premier 2TB plan?
    There is a link in the Apple One Premier subscription confirmation email I received, Learn what happens to your iCloud storage plan when you sign up for Apple One, but the link is to a non existent page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784.

Same here. I tried submitting a service request and it didn't go anywhere. I guess Apple released it before everything was ready. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I use both iCloud and Dropbox.  I just don't feel that iCloud is on par with what Dropbox offers, particularly in the business arena.  Has anyone in a similar position made the jump to 100% iCloud?

What prevents me from leaving Dropbox is:

Sharing files to other users - even if not on dropbox.
    Recovering deleted files.
    Easy ability to flag files as online-only and ease of controlling that option.

Any thoughts?
    cornchipdewmeh4y3scaladanian
  • Reply 6 of 39

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

The Premier bundle doesn't *save* me money unless I want 2 more services (or Fitness+) I don't already subscribe to. 

I'm in the same boat.  I'm on a year free trial of Apple TV to boot.  And I don't care about Apple Arcade.
    entropyscaladanian
  • Reply 7 of 39
    The iCloud storage support page that was not earlier existing, when first posted, now exists. 
    It does spell out what happens:-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I contacted Apple and they said their Premier plans only goes up to 2TB not 4TB. 
  • Reply 9 of 39
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I contacted Apple and they said their Premier plans only goes up to 2TB not 4TB. 
    From Apple: 

If the iCloud storage included in Apple One is equal to your current plan

During the free trial, you keep both your current iCloud storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One. Once the trial is finished, your current iCloud storage plan is canceled. Your total iCloud storage will be the amount included in your Apple One subscription.

1. If you already subscribe to Apple Music, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, or Apple TV+, you don't need to cancel those subscriptions. They will automatically be canceled when you're billed for Apple One.
    Hopefully this works out properly and they prorate the current costs when changing to Apple One.

--I checked my iPhone and my subscriptions have already changed to starting Nov 30 after the Apple One trial is done. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,452member

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

I'm in the same boat.  I'm on a year free trial of Apple TV to boot.  And I don't care about Apple Arcade.
    Yup. Me as well. Pondering if TV+, News+, Fitness+ and Arcade is worth the extra $5/mo. I may think differently if Apple had a new Apple TV model to buy. Out of those 4, we may value Fitness+ the most, but I'm holding on for a higher performance Apple TV. It would also make Arcade more valuable.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I have 2TB now at $9.99. I’m guessing I can’t get only the 4TB iCloud storage and not the other stuff? 
    To get to 4TB, you need to have the Apple One bundle with 2TB. It isn't optimal.
    fastasleepcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Premier only goes up to 2TB by itself. As the article discusses and illustrates, you can also separately buy 2TB to bring you to 4TB.
    edited October 2020 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    sflocal said:
    I use both iCloud and Dropbox.  I just don't feel that iCloud is on par with what Dropbox offers, particularly in the business arena.  Has anyone in a similar position made the jump to 100% iCloud?

Any thoughts?
    One of the big issues is that iCloud doesn't let me flag files for offline use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    rob53 said:

I guess Apple released it before everything was ready. 
    Well, that's a first!  ;-)
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 39

sflocal said:

Any thoughts?
    Same here.  I largely ignore iCloud and use Dropbox.  Just checked and I still have 4.8 GB out of 5 GB available.  I have .5 TB  out of 2 TB available on Dropbox.  Nothing in the Apple plans interest me...  Nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

I have Dropbox business and iCloud with Apple One Premier. iCloud definitely doesn't offer the same feature set, but I wager they eventually will. The problem is unless they offer binaries for Linux and Windows I don't see the use case for Apple to go the entire Dropbox route.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

Dudes... this is a BUNDLE.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 39
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?
    I also hesitate. Syncing on Dropbox seems much more instant and smooth. Sometimes it is my impression iCloud does not readily sync. 
    I sometimes have similar sync delays with Photos. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

Nope. iCloud is simply not set up for any kind of corporate or group setup. I wanted to use it for my neighborhood association digitization strategy, but it comes down to the fact that it has to be tied to a device & iCloud account. Too much of a p.i.t.a. what with switching “ownership” of the account in the future etc. to be a viable. And then sharing & interoperability with other platforms is a web of confusion. 

I love iCloud for personal stuff though. Pretty much a non-starter for anything else.

edit for additional thoughts.
    edited October 2020 dewme
  • Reply 20 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?
    This is the problem with iCloud Drive file sharing -- it's too smart for its own good and wants to share the folder into your recipient's own iCloud Drive folders. When what it should be is a URL to a folder-view in browser, and let the recipient preview or download the files. That's it.

Jobs famously told the Dropbox founders that they were "a feature, not a product", and yet Apple still hasn't got this core feature right. It's about the sharing, not just the syncing.
    edited October 2020 cornchipcaladanianroundaboutnowwatto_cobra