Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 250
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:
    Here, finally, is an actual full review of the AirPods Max posted by John Gruber on Daring Fireball: https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/heavy_is_the_head_that_wears_the_airpods_max He describes the sound as "so much better" than his Quiet Comfort 35 II that he has been using for a couple of years. 

I didn't realize that the AirPods Max lack a power button--I knew they went into ultra low-power mode in the case, but I never bother with a case when using headphones at home. I wonder what the hit to battery life will be if the 'phones are always left to turn off on their own?
    I thought they went into low-power mode as soon as they were off the ears. I don't think that'll be a problem. I know my Powerbeats Pro turn off when I remove them and I can keep them out of their case for a long time before their tiny batteries discharge.
    I have heard that if you don't put them in the case, they take a couple of hours to enter low power mode. 

That's an inconvenience for sure but at least is easy to fix via software if they decide to do so. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 242 of 250
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:
    Here, finally, is an actual full review of the AirPods Max posted by John Gruber on Daring Fireball: https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/heavy_is_the_head_that_wears_the_airpods_max He describes the sound as "so much better" than his Quiet Comfort 35 II that he has been using for a couple of years. 

I didn't realize that the AirPods Max lack a power button--I knew they went into ultra low-power mode in the case, but I never bother with a case when using headphones at home. I wonder what the hit to battery life will be if the 'phones are always left to turn off on their own?
    I thought they went into low-power mode as soon as they were off the ears. I don't think that'll be a problem. I know my Powerbeats Pro turn off when I remove them and I can keep them out of their case for a long time before their tiny batteries discharge.
    I have heard that if you don't put them in the case, they take a couple of hours to enter low power mode. 

That's an inconvenience for sure but at least is easy to fix via software if they decide to do so. 
    I thought I read the same thing... a couple of hours to turn themselves off if not using the case. But the "why" of two hours doesn't make sense, so maybe incorrect. 
  • Reply 243 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

I've taken my Airpods Pro off before and not put them in their case, and they were dry when I picked them up a few hours later.  I assume the Maxes work in a similar way; even though the case doesn't power them you should put them in it when you're not using them.

Shame the case looks the way it does.  I wonder if there's any possibility of third party cases that can put them to sleep.
  • Reply 244 of 250
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

I've taken my Airpods Pro off before and not put them in their case, and they were dry when I picked them up a few hours later.  I assume the Maxes work in a similar way; even though the case doesn't power them you should put them in it when you're not using them.

Shame the case looks the way it does.  I wonder if there's any possibility of third party cases that can put them to sleep.
    But to be fair, the pros don’t have a <20h battery.

Unless Apple really messed up those estimates the sleep mode will be irrelevant for most users; at least during the first couple of months. Which will give Apple enough time to tweak it just right based on actual usage. 
  • Reply 245 of 250
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

I thought I read the same thing... a couple of hours to turn themselves off if not using the case. But the "why" of two hours doesn't make sense, so maybe incorrect. 
    I'll occasionally take off my OTE phones, intending to put them back on in a short period of time. Then realize that they're still on the desk a while later because the simple task I went to take care of morphed into a bigger problem (or more likely, my old age kicks in and I just forgot I was using the darn phones  :) )
  • Reply 246 of 250
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

We'll have to wait for confirmation but this is probably where I heard the two hour claim (from minute 7)

ronn
  • Reply 247 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    svanstrom said:
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

True enough, but I'd still rather not be running down the battery like that, it's wasteful and annoying when you find you're out of charge.  I have many other devices that seem to be much smarter about going to sleep, or into low power mode on their own.  There seems to be mixed messages about the AirPods Max, some are saying the headphones go into low power mode after 5 minutes, some others are saying 2 hours.  2 bours doesn't make much sense to me, so here's hoping.
  • Reply 248 of 250
    jdb8167 Apparently only recent iPhone 11s come with USB-C to lightning. Oh well, I guess you shouldn't buy a $550 pair of headphones if you can't afford a $19 power adapter.
    My 11 came with a USB-C <> Lightning cable when I got it on release day.
  • Reply 249 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    crowley said:
    svanstrom said:
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:

True enough, but I'd still rather not be running down the battery like that, it's wasteful and annoying when you find you're out of charge.  I have many other devices that seem to be much smarter about going to sleep, or into low power mode on their own.  There seems to be mixed messages about the AirPods Max, some are saying the headphones go into low power mode after 5 minutes, some others are saying 2 hours.  2 bours doesn't make much sense to me, so here's hoping.
    As previously stated and this review video backs up, they do go into a low-power mode when removed, but simply go into a lower-power mode when in the case. He states that he left them out of the case overnight and they lost almost no power, while still wishing they had a power button just so he can be sure they're off.

ronn