Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 121 of 250
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    I see the legacy analog headphone jack people are out. Is there any reason why they won't use a 3.5mm adapter? I do the reverse, plugging a pair of legacy headphones into my Lighting iPad via the cheap adapter.
    edited December 2020 ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 122 of 250
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I see the legacy analog headphone jack people are out. Is there any reason why they won't use a 3.5mm adapter? I do the reverse, plugging a pair of legacy headphones into my Lighting iPad via the cheap adapter.
    Probably a bit too soon to say.
    <EDIT> so Apple released a bidirectional cable at the same time.  A "mere" $35.  Ouch.

edited December 2020
  • Reply 123 of 250
    Xed said:
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
    I love the use of the Digital Crown—and recently made a suggesting as to how I think that would be useful on headphones—but I agree that the placement seems inconvenient and awkward to use.
    My guess is, placement of the crown is something they've thought about. We'll see. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 124 of 250
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    AI_lias said:
    Do iPhones even have a good DAC for this kind of sound?
    I was under the impression that a DAC, a Digital to Analogue Converter, would be in a headphone if it was using Bluetooth, since that's digital. Is my assumption wrong? digitised music > iPhone NAND > Bluetooth > Headphones > DAC > human ear
    right_said_fredsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 125 of 250
    neilm said:
    ajl said:
    629 euros right here.
    You don't say where "here" is, but in the EU the retail price would also always include ~20% VAT, right?

(In the USA posted prices never include sales tax, because sales taxes are a combination of state and local rates that can vary widely by locality. The range is from 0% in New Hampshire, to over 9% in Tennessee.)

Good point. In Europe it also varies, with Hungary maxing out at 27%. Would be nice if US websites would state the price with the max (Tennessee) tax included, with a disclaimer that "product may be lower priced in your area".
    Xedspheric
  • Reply 126 of 250
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Xed said:
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
    I love the use of the Digital Crown—and recently made a suggesting as to how I think that would be useful on headphones—but I agree that the placement seems inconvenient and awkward to use.
    My guess is, placement of the crown is something they've thought about. We'll see. 
    My guess is if it was on the bottom, it could rub against clothes, shoulders, etc. 
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 127 of 250
    Some lame humor to ease some folks, left and right.

1) I just bought a soundbar for my new TV. I thought the price was ridiculous since it's almost the same as the TV.

2) I bought these headphones simply because I wanted another Store Credit after I got the 2007 iPhone.

3) With this price the Apple rumour sites are bound to get lots of posts - a good thing!
    Xed
  • Reply 128 of 250
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    saarek said:
    Yeah, good luck with that. I can buy a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX7’s for £289 right now, they were down as low as £220 in October (an absolute steal at that price), no way would I pay twice that for these.
    Good for you?  Apple won't have any trouble selling more than they can make. 
    anantksundaramronnwilliamlondonuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 129 of 250
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,258member
    My pet peeve about this site: AI never (or rarely) provides a clear, obvious link to the actual, official product page.  For example, the first sentence says "Apple has released the AirPod Max" but neither "Apple" nor "AirPods Max" link to https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/ ;  Annoyingly the only link is to another AI article that also doesn't link to Apple's site.  Even the pricing matrix on that page (which provides links to half a dozen retail sites) doesn't link to the Apple store.

It's 2020, we shouldn't have to manually open a new tab and type in apple.com.
    It’s because they don’t want to steer you away from their (AI) site. They get a cut if you click to a retailer and buy it through a third party. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 130 of 250
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    sdw2001 said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    Dude, please try reading the article. It has multiple mics.  And I'm pretty sure people can figure out what L and R mean.  ߙ䦬t;/div>
    Dude, it's illegal to sell products in some countries that are English Only, regardless of whether they can figure it out.
    Bullshit.
    edited December 2020 williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 131 of 250
    Afganblues Afganblues Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    So, are these ridiculously bass heavy like the HomePod is, no equalizer works with my 3 HomePods, and there’s just too much bass. I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t allow us to fine tune in to our liking. Oh that’s right everything Apple does is to perfection. Well, at this price, I am not gonna take the chance.
    williamlondonelijahgkiltedgreen
  • Reply 132 of 250
    So, are these ridiculously bass heavy like the HomePod is, no equalizer works with my 3 HomePods, and there’s just too much bass. I don’t understand why Apple doesn’t allow us to fine tune in to our liking. Oh that’s right everything Apple does is to perfection. Well, at this price, I am not gonna take the chance.
    Pro tip: if you find a speaker with an audio profile that's "ridiculously" not to your liking, maybe don't buy 3 of them? Buy 1 and return it. 
    Xedanantksundaramright_said_fredmike1uraharaMplsPJapheymuthuk_vanalingamRayz2016spheric
  • Reply 133 of 250
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    George has  大号 and [R on his. Maybe ask him where he bought them.  ;) 
    GG1ronnelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 134 of 250
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    AI_lias said:
    Do iPhones even have a good DAC for this kind of sound?
    I was under the impression that a DAC, a Digital to Analogue Converter, would be in a headphone if it was using Bluetooth, since that's digital. Is my assumption wrong? digitised music > iPhone NAND > Bluetooth > Headphones > DAC > human ear
    Yeah, you're probably correct. My bad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 135 of 250
    iMi said:
    If these were priced more competitively against the likes of the excellent Sony WH-1000XM4, I would have already placed an order but I think Apple has missed the mark on the retail price. They should have been $349-$399 at most. Sure, some Apple products seem to cost a lot more than competition, but once you really look at the specs and compare hardware/software, the cost is more than justified. This does not seem to be the case here. 
    Apple’s Beats line already competes in that price range. Say what you will about Beats (personally, I hate them), but they are top sellers.
  • Reply 136 of 250
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    I am quite disappointed at this price. I was really looking forward to spending a few hundred less than these as a Christmas present for myself, Now I’m not too sure. Will have to try them out at a store first, whenever my Apple store opens. I’m sure $549 is fine for professional users, but as a prosumer who just forked over for a 12 pro, these may have to wait till something like an “Airpods Max SE” 

at least, for me. 
    williamlondonAI_lias
  • Reply 137 of 250
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones sense and adjust the sound 700 times per second vs. AirPods Max 200 times per second. Both are likely comparable at eliminating jet plane rumble, but the Sony delves well into the human voice range and other ambient sounds for noise cancellation.
    edited December 2020 williamlondonNotoriousDEVentropys
  • Reply 138 of 250
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    This is 8 bucks on Amazon. In fact, why don't knock yourself out, and buy three for 13 bucks:

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 139 of 250
    ferali said:
    I am quite disappointed at this price. I was really looking forward to spending a few hundred less than these as a Christmas present for myself, Now I’m not too sure. Will have to try them out at a store first, whenever my Apple store opens. I’m sure $549 is fine for professional users, but as a prosumer who just forked over for a 12 pro, these may have to wait till something like an “Airpods Max SE” 

at least, for me. 
    Im not waiting to try them, ordered already - space gray they should arrive next week. If they are not worth it for me - easy to return them.
    SpamSandwichronnanantksundaramwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 140 of 250

avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    This is 8 bucks on Amazon. In fact, why don't knock yourself out, and buy three for 13 bucks:

They are the wrong way round to use these new headphones in a plane
    MplsPdewmesvanstrom