New EU legislation proposes 30% 'European content' minimum for Apple TV+, Netflix

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 64
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
  • Reply 22 of 64
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member

    sflocal said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    This is an extreme example for sure, but thought it funny.  I went scuba diving in Cuba back in late-2016.  I was there when Fidel Castro passed away.  Everything that was broadcasted on TV, every..single..day... were all government propaganda shows, Casto nationalism, and really, really bad shows.  It was terrible.  Some establishments had TV's playing current shows from the U.S., but they were hidden beyond plain site.  As I am fluent in Spanish, I would talk to the owners about this curiosity and they would tell me that the shows were bootlegged on USB sticks and that any shows not approved by the Cuban government were illegal.

    My point of mentioning that story is I can understand that preserving cultural diversity is important, but when the shows in their country sucks balls big-time, that quota system isn't going to work very well.  My guess is if that happens, the VPN industry will explode in Europe in order to get access to other shows in other countries.

    In the end, I find it shameful that the EU is telling streaming companies what to show even if it means losing money having shows no one wants to see.  If the content was good in their country, people would be watching it.
    LOL! no one is being restricted from US shows in Europe and no one is being told what to show. There are very good tv productions in Europe, maybe one day you when come out of your cocoon you will understand how much the world has to offer. Maybe one day you will see that many movies and TV shows that you have watched were based in European movies and TV shows.
    The policy is towards enhancing European content production and distribution in services operating in Europe.
    edited December 2020 avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 64
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said:
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.

    I get it, but why should that responsibility be put on US companies? Aren't there streaming/content companies in the EU that their citizens can sign up for?

    It seems to me that the EU is more interested in litigating fair competition rather than actually competing.
    You get that it's about preserving local culture but don't get why the preserver would want to restrict imports of foreign culture?

    Umm, forcing 30% European content, has nothing to do with restricting foreign culture... it's about enhancing and increasing European culture.
    I don't really understand why you think these are different things, in this context.

    30% isn't even all that much.

    It's extremely important for some people to preserve culture, and identity. The presence of foreign culture is not always a hindrance of that, unless it is oppressive. The EU wanting to bring more European content to preserve European culture does in no way signify they're interested in restricting foreign content/culture.

    Again, as I said, I get it (the need to preserve culture), but it seems to me that (with this action) they would rather use foreign platforms to push local content, rather than try and create their own platforms. So my question was, aren't there European streaming services that could in fact provide that content and culture to Europeans rather than relying on foreign providers?

    Personally, I love foreign content... it's great to see other cultures. Netflix has a ton of it; there are some exceptional movies and series from Sweden, France, Germany, Korea, Japan and even England!
  • Reply 24 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,884member
    DoomFreak said:
    The problem with Netflix is that it has too much EU content. I am cancelling that one.  It has a vast amount of programs that are foreign and have dubbed audio.  The result is crap.  If the actors were any good it is masked by dubbed audio that makes them look ridiculous.  ... and they are charging more for that garbage.  I have enough to watch with all my other services.  I get frustrated because I can never find anything on it anymore.  Once my son is done watching whatever he is watching, Netflix is gone.  I get Prime that has a ton of stuff and I would be paying for Prime anyway.  Hulu is cheaper, even with the no commercials added option.  I get the feeling that many others will do the same and drop Netflix.  It seems like the obvious one to cut.
    I'm against dubbing but understand why it is common in some countries. 

    It's a double edged sword but the digital nature of 'foreign' content often means the original language can be chosen. Often there are subtitles available too.

    To be honest, some content can dramatically improve by being dubbed. The X-Files is a totally different experience in Spanish Spanish than in English. As is the Simpsons. 

  • Reply 25 of 64
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 937member
    Wall to wall Benny Hill!
    zeus423mike1razorpit
  • Reply 26 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,884member

    cpsro said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe?
    It’s primarily about stimulating business in the EU and raising tax revenue.
    Exactly. It’s protectionism. Just like is done in China.
    Protectionism is everywhere, the US very much included. Protectionism isn't as big a problem as the reasons behind it. 

    In this case it is clear and has been stated. We shouldn't have a problem with the reasons this has been proposed. 

  • Reply 27 of 64
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,638member
    This seems like a non-story to me. If the requirement is to "feature 30% European content" then a company like Netflix or Apple can find a few thousand old TV programs from EU countries from 50 years ago, make them available, and observe that buyers aren't watching them. End of story.

    What the EU may choose to do that could get positive results is forcing commercials from EU countries into the middle of programs from Netflix and Apple. Right now Apple TV+ has one 15-second commercial in every program I watch on Apple TV+. I find this annoying since the ads are usually from Apple for TV shows that I cannot purchase or stream here in Canada from Apple TV+. Why would Apple TV+ force me to watch commercials for things I can't buy on Apple TV+? Canadian regulators could easily demand that Apple's commercials be replaced by commercials for services and programs that can actually be purchased.
    avon b7
  • Reply 28 of 64
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    mjtomlin said:
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said:
    crowley said:
    mjtomlin said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.

    I get it, but why should that responsibility be put on US companies? Aren't there streaming/content companies in the EU that their citizens can sign up for?

    It seems to me that the EU is more interested in litigating fair competition rather than actually competing.
    You get that it's about preserving local culture but don't get why the preserver would want to restrict imports of foreign culture?

    Umm, forcing 30% European content, has nothing to do with restricting foreign culture... it's about enhancing and increasing European culture.
    I don't really understand why you think these are different things, in this context.

    30% isn't even all that much.

    It's extremely important for some people to preserve culture, and identity. The presence of foreign culture is not always a hindrance of that, unless it is oppressive. The EU wanting to bring more European content to preserve European culture does in no way signify they're interested in restricting foreign content/culture.

    Again, as I said, I get it (the need to preserve culture), but it seems to me that (with this action) they would rather use foreign platforms to push local content, rather than try and create their own platforms. So my question was, aren't there European streaming services that could in fact provide that content and culture to Europeans rather than relying on foreign providers?

    Personally, I love foreign content... it's great to see other cultures. Netflix has a ton of it; there are some exceptional movies and series from Sweden, France, Germany, Korea, Japan and even England!
    A streaming service inside the EU, like Netflix and AppleTV+, is not legally a foreign platform since they are operating through European companies. The rule applies to all services commercialised in the EU and it is identical to the obligations that TV networks in Europe already have to follow.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    elijahg
  • Reply 30 of 64
    This is very easy to get around the 30% content. Just make tons of low budget talk show and kid show. 

    Unless EU change to 30% show budget...
  • Reply 31 of 64
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    Nowadays I would say the US is in a much bigger mess than the EU. We have always been sovereign countries/nations inside a political legal framework, trying to work together for common goals while keeping individual identity. And I assure you that without the EU it would be a mess for companies like Apple to grow in Europe.
    avon b7
  • Reply 32 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,884member
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    The EU is a great place to live. I have yet to meet a US citizen that hasn't said they wanted to live after being here for a few months. On the other hand, EU citizens who I've known with longer term residence in the U.S haven't said the same. Even those who were relatively well off. 

    One did a three year stint in Chicago and couldn't wait to get out. He moved onto São Paulo and loved it.

    I'm generalising of course but the EU is far from a mess. 
  • Reply 33 of 64
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    Nowadays I would say the US is in a much bigger mess than the EU. We have always been sovereign countries/nations inside a political legal framework, trying to work together for common goals while keeping individual identity. And I assure you that without the EU it would be a mess for companies like Apple to grow in Europe.
    That’s just Eurocentric hogwash. The EU is an economic flop and it has been almost solely the burden of Germany to bail out all the failing countries there.
    edited December 2020 zeus423elijahg
  • Reply 34 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,221member
    beeble42 said:
    aderutter said:
    I remember when Netflix service in the UK was very poor with very little content worth watching; so people simply used VPNs to access the US Netflix. If this bill comes to pass, expect the customer to suffer because it will simply reduce the quantity of material available.

    e.g. If Netflix had 5% EU content and 95% non-EU content, they will simply remove non-EU content and not increase EU content. They will go from proportionally 100 programs to 18 programs. How is that a win for consumers?
    Or they pay for the mandated EU content (which no one wants otherwise it'd already be there) and pass the cost on to EU customers. A nice little bit of wealth redistribution from the working classes to the rich media folks.

    Why does the thought never cross the minds of the European ruling classes to encourage starting a streaming service and compete in a free market where people will choose what they want?

    We replaced Netflix with Britbox. Great British content. Love it. Much, much smarter comedy. American comedy by comparison is mostly like still thinking fart jokes are funny. We chose to pay for what we like in a free and open market. Other people who don't want what we want are free to pay for whatever they like. Why can't EU countries offer EUTube or something? People will pay for it if it's any good. And perhaps herein lies the problem.

    So EU customers are destined to either pay more, have less content or both. As Reagan said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."
    Agree for the most part, as I do quite enjoy the occasional fart joke.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,221member

    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    No doubt that is the excuse,  but its main benefit would be to enrich high living European producers and their chances of exploiting pretty girls who dream about being an actress, with the greatest effect reduced choice at a higher cost for the working classes.
    edited December 2020 JWSC
  • Reply 36 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,221member
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    Nowadays I would say the US is in a much bigger mess than the EU. We have always been sovereign countries/nations inside a political legal framework, trying to work together for common goals while keeping individual identity. And I assure you that without the EU it would be a mess for companies like Apple to grow in Europe.
    That’s just Eurocentric hogwash. The EU is an economic flop and it has been almost solely the burden of Germany to bail out all the failing countries there.
    Well I think you would have to add The Uk and France to the list of bailer outerers. But yes, everyone else is on the tit.  The ordinary poms got sick of it, while for Germany and France it is about power. Their power. The napoleonic and Bismarckian dream never died.
    edited December 2020 elijahg
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Sarkany said:
    I’d like to be able to filter out non-US, non-English-language native shows. Majority are horrid.

    I was expecting to see this type of comment basically saying that the US is "better" than everyone else. 🙄

    Hey, here's a fun fact for you.... Titanic... produced by a Canadian! Go figure!

    Some of the best TV series and movies are British, Australian, Japanese, etc. And some of the best US productions use actors from other countries, too.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,074member
    beeble42 said:
    aderutter said:
    I remember when Netflix service in the UK was very poor with very little content worth watching; so people simply used VPNs to access the US Netflix. If this bill comes to pass, expect the customer to suffer because it will simply reduce the quantity of material available.

    e.g. If Netflix had 5% EU content and 95% non-EU content, they will simply remove non-EU content and not increase EU content. They will go from proportionally 100 programs to 18 programs. How is that a win for consumers?
    Or they pay for the mandated EU content (which no one wants otherwise it'd already be there) and pass the cost on to EU customers. A nice little bit of wealth redistribution from the working classes to the rich media folks.

    Why does the thought never cross the minds of the European ruling classes to encourage starting a streaming service and compete in a free market where people will choose what they want?

    We replaced Netflix with Britbox. Great British content. Love it. Much, much smarter comedy. American comedy by comparison is mostly like still thinking fart jokes are funny. We chose to pay for what we like in a free and open market. Other people who don't want what we want are free to pay for whatever they like. Why can't EU countries offer EUTube or something? People will pay for it if it's any good. And perhaps herein lies the problem.

    So EU customers are destined to either pay more, have less content or both. As Reagan said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."
    Haha, you said fart. (It’s true, btw.)
  • Reply 39 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,221member
    Sarkany said:
    I’d like to be able to filter out non-US, non-English-language native shows. Majority are horrid.

    I was expecting to see this type of comment basically saying that the US is "better" than everyone else. ߙ䦬t;br>
    Hey, here's a fun fact for you.... Titanic... produced by a Canadian! Go figure!

    Some of the best TV series and movies are British, Australian, Japanese, etc. And some of the best US productions use actors from other countries, too.
    Thus no need for these kind of ultimately pathetic, market corrupting laws then!

    in truth, this is about enriching certain friends, dressed up as cultural bullshit.
    edited December 2020 JWSCrazorpit
  • Reply 40 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    Nowadays I would say the US is in a much bigger mess than the EU. We have always been sovereign countries/nations inside a political legal framework, trying to work together for common goals while keeping individual identity. And I assure you that without the EU it would be a mess for companies like Apple to grow in Europe.
    That’s just Eurocentric hogwash. The EU is an economic flop and it has been almost solely the burden of Germany to bail out all the failing countries there.
    Around 10 countries are net creditors to the EU.  Yes, Germany is the biggest, as they have the biggest economy, but other contributors collectively exceed Germany's contribution, and Germany also aren't the biggest contributors per capita.  And because of the support from the collective, no countries failed in the 2008 debt crisis and subsequent economic turbulence (it did get a little shaky for a while, but zero bankruptcies).  Actually Ireland has gone from having major issues during that crisis to being one of those contributor, which its hard to imagine would have been possible without the support of the union.

    As I understand it New York is the biggest contributor to the US Federal Government, while several other states would quite possibly fail if they weren't supported.  So I'm not really sure what major difference you're seeing.  Every union of the size of the EU and US is going to have some areas that are rich and some that are poor, with the overall effect of the rich areas supporting the poorer areas; I don't know why this surprises you.

    Not really sure what you're on about it being non-binding.  You mean because countries can leave?  And you're suggesting that's a bad thing?  As a UK resident and remain voter who is really sick and tired of the nonsense we've been going through for several years now I almost agree with you.  Almost.
Sign In or Register to comment.