New EU legislation proposes 30% 'European content' minimum for Apple TV+, Netflix

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    "The bill, known as the General Scheme of the Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill"

So they admit it's all a "scheme". They left out the word "evil."

Where do they get 30%? It seems like an arbitrary percentage. Maybe the U.S. should mandate that Netflix makes 80% of content from the U.S. Then what? Fight it out.

How about we just let the free market decide what people would like to watch?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    zeus423 said:
    "The bill, known as the General Scheme of the Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill"

So they admit it's all a "scheme". They left out the word "evil."

Where do they get 30%? It seems like an arbitrary percentage. Maybe the U.S. should mandate that Netflix makes 80% of content from the U.S. Then what? Fight it out.

How about we just let the free market decide what people would like to watch?
    Presumably because that's the current situation, and Netflix et al have been operating in countries and delivering very little locally produced content.  30% sounds like a fairly reasonable compromise figure.

What's so "evil" about that?

I don't think the US is going to have any appetite on legislation for what media companies can sell overseas, even if there was a way for them to police that.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    ppietra said:
    Is it so hard for people to understand that this is also about preserving cultural diversity in Europe? 
    The EU is made up of 27 countries, with 24 official languages! Only 2 of those countries have English as an official language. Do you think it is reasonable to expect an healthy local culture in the future when streaming services only have American shows? A similar law already applies to local networks. TV is not just a business.
    Want to “preserve cultural diversity”? Then break up the EU. 
    Why would I break the EU when the EU has done so much towards keeping cultural diversity and cultural exchange? Clearly you have no idea of what Europe is!
    Europe is a complete mess. Germany is one of the very few successful countries in the handshake agreement that is the EU. You do realize that the entire union there is non-binding?
    Nowadays I would say the US is in a much bigger mess than the EU. We have always been sovereign countries/nations inside a political legal framework, trying to work together for common goals while keeping individual identity. And I assure you that without the EU it would be a mess for companies like Apple to grow in Europe.
    That’s just Eurocentric hogwash. The EU is an economic flop and it has been almost solely the burden of Germany to bail out all the failing countries there.
    funny! Dodn’t remember any German money to bail out Ireland, Spain, Italy, France, etc, all of them had to get big loans and pay interests to face the problems that came from the US financial crisis! EU is such a flop that Trump felt threatened by its existence.
    I guarantee your assertions about the EU being persecuted by the US President are wholly creations of your own mind.
    razorpit
  • Reply 64 of 64

Well, that's a relief - for a moment there I thought the EU was becoming reasonable.

Nothing like mandating EU content when there is no new content being created ...
    Next they’ll insist that foreign companies in the EU must fund EU content producers. 

The EU is a flailing and flopping fish dying on a beach.
    razorpit