UPS returning some AirPods Max shipments to Apple as 'hazardous materials' [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Some customers in Canada and the US are reportedly being notified by UPS that their AirPods Max will not be delivered because they contain "hazardous materials."

As the first AirPods Max begin to arrive worldwide, an unknown number of customers are instead being told theirs will not be delivered. What UPS describes as an "irregularity" appears to be confined to customers in Canada, though the shipping company is stopping the orders while still en route from the US.

According to iPhone in Canada, users are reporting that the return happens around halfway through the shipping process. One specifies that their package got to UPS's center in Ontario, California before being halted.

"A hazardous materials irregularity occurred with this package," says the UPS shipping notification sent to multiple buyers in Canada. "We'll contact sender with additional information. The package will be returned to sender."

A spokesperson for UPS Canada confirmed to AppleInsider that the issue concerned labelling of the parcels as collected by them.

"Packages tendered to UPS, containing AirPods Max, were incorrectly labeled," said the spokesperson. "For the safety of our employees and the community, all shipments containing potentially hazardous materials must follow specific guidelines. We have followed up to ensure proper labelling."

UPS did not specify any further details, and Apple has yet to comment. It's most likely that these particular AirPods Max shipments do not have the required warnings about batteries.

The sets of AirPods Max received by AppleInsider, and others seen by staffers, were all correctly labelled, so the source of the "exception" is not known.

Separately, new orders for AirPods Max are seeing delivery dates slip into 2021.

Updated: 10:30 AM Eastern Time on December 17, 2020 with the statement from UPS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple should switch to contracting Amazon for deliveries.
    dewmeflyingdp
  • Reply 2 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    They should use USPS. Order one receive three.
    jas99Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 32
    razorpit said:
    More like order 3 get none. 
    peterhartrob55williamlondoncharlesatlas
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Hazardous to their Wealth.
    flyingdpsvanstrom
  • Reply 5 of 32
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    MacPro said:
    Please no.  Amazon screws up shipments far more often than does UPS.   A somewhat regular occurrence for me is to have to argue with Amazon customer service about some order that is being returned to Amazon and cancelled.   They don’t really tell you why.  Just that you need to reorder (probably at a higher price since what you ordered was on sale or a subscribe and save order) if you want it.  
    ionicleronnStrangeDaysMplsPAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 32
    razorpit said:
    Hahahahahahaha.....i LIKESSSSS that
  • Reply 7 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    My experience is that ups is far worse than Amazon. Ups just lost my Macbook Pro I ordered a month ago. I got a call from a ups security person yesterday to tell me to call Apple today and tell them that ups lost my package. Otherwise, they’re doing nothing.

once the Amazon delivery service lost my packages. When I called them, they sent more and told me to keep the others, should they arrive. Some of the goods weren’t even being sold by Amazon, just shipped.
    ITGUYINSDAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 32
    razorpit said:
    UPS actually does already sub-contract out to USPS for some of its deliveries. I don't know the criteria but have had many UPS packages over the past couple years come from my carriers. And I'm not in a rural area. 
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I went to the UPS distribution point once to pick up a Mac that didn't get delivered while I was at work, and the UPS office was on lunch break. How long do you think that their lunch break was? Two hours. That's right.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    chadbag said:
    MacPro said:
    Please no.  Amazon screws up shipments far more often than does UPS.   A somewhat regular occurrence for me is to have to argue with Amazon customer service about some order that is being returned to Amazon and cancelled.   They don’t really tell you why.  Just that you need to reorder (probably at a higher price since what you ordered was on sale or a subscribe and save order) if you want it.  
    I guess YMMV but I've seen a completely opposite quality of service when comparing Amazon to UPS (or worse USPS). Over the 22+ years I've been ordering stuff from Amazon I had fewer than 5 issues related to shipping and Amazon has always made things right. In most cases they drop shipped a complete replacement order overnight and in a couple of cases they told me to keep the original order because if "might" be damaged.

The only unsettling issue I've ever had with Amazon, one that was a total fail, was sending me a turntable where the manufacturer's original packaging was completely abused, likely by a forklift, and yet Amazon still send me the damaged package rewrapped inside a "clean" Amazon box. They made it right and threw in some chump change for my trouble. I recently had an issue with the Amazon Key delivery not being delivered inside my garage and after contacting them they traced down the cause of the issue late into the evening and followed up with me in real time.

No shipping company is perfect, but Amazon does seem like it cares and has always tried to resolve issues that I have encountered, even when rare, to my satisfaction.  I put Amazon (and its subsidiaries) at the same level as Apple when it comes to customer service. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 32
    As someone who audits HazMats for UPS my bet is the packages had the wrong diamond label on them, a ground Limited Quantity on an Air package (all next day, two day and three day service levels follow air regulations) will get the package rejected. FAA And DOT regulations. Common problem these days, especially with the plethora of lithium ion batteries in everything.  
    dewmeronnAlex1Nsvanstrom
  • Reply 12 of 32
    If it contains lithium batteries, those must typically be shipped by ground transport. This might be what this is about.
    anantksundaramAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If it contains lithium batteries, those must typically be shipped by ground transport. This might be what this is about.
    I don’t know about that. Typically, Apple has millions of iPhones, at least, shipped from China during this holiday period on cargo planes. I don’t. Know all of the international regulations, but I do know that the regulations are different for passenger planes and cargo planes.  And remember that every passenger in a plane can carry a laptop with a 100 amp hour battery, plus a phone, earphones and tablets as well. So they work these things out somehow.

amd the Macbook Pro I ordered that ups lost, came by air from China to the USA via Japan, South Korea, then into Anchorage Alaska, then to Kentucky, before being loaded onto a truck to NJ, and then NYC.
    edited December 2020 Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    MacPro said:
    Must be sarcasm because Amazon's shipping service is staffed by incompetent boobs.  
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

Wrong. How do you think iPhones get here from China?  

Lithium batteries that are part of electronics equipment are permitted on aircraft.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Apparently it seems people here don't understand the very strict requirements to ship products with Lithium Ion batteries, especially by Air:

Shipping lithium batteries by air is the most complicated of all forms of transit, due to the increased risk (i.e. and aircraft accidents caused by fire are likely to be fatal). With damaged batteries being blamed for aircraft crashes in the past, the shipping of damaged or defective batteries is strictly forbidden.

When transporting lithium-ion batteries via air, the Dangerous Good Regulations (DGR) must be reviewed and met. These regulations are governed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

If the item is being returned to Apple, then they clearly failed in the proper labeling of the packaging to be safe for shipping by Air.

edited December 2020 SpamSandwichAlex1Nsvanstrom
  • Reply 17 of 32
    The 'Hazardous Material' of these headphones is the ridiculous price and ugly appearance.
    Ofer
  • Reply 18 of 32
    flydog said:

Lithium batteries that are part of electronics equipment are permitted on aircraft.

You are not entirely correct because there are very strict requirements that must be met to transport items with lithium ion batteries, especially as a shipment.  And he is correct, typically within the United States, items with Lithium Ion batteries are shipped by Ground.
    SpamSandwichanantksundaramAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamsvanstrom
  • Reply 19 of 32
    flydog said:

You are not entirely correct because there are very strict requirements that must be met to transport items with lithium ion batteries, especially as a shipment.  And he is correct, typically within the United States, items with Lithium Ion batteries are shipped by Ground.
    Yes, I know about it because I’ve dealt with it. 
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    MacPro said:

Not for free. I'd tell them to stop selling their iPad knockoffs and fully support iPad instead and they get full Apple deliveries. They'd both make more money in the long run.