Elon Musk says Apple CEO Tim Cook refused meeting to discuss acquiring Tesla

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Tuesday said he once pitched selling the electric carmaker to Apple for a fraction of its current value but was refused by CEO Tim Cook.

Credit: Tesla
Credit: Tesla

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said that "during the darkest days of the Model 3 program," he personally reached out to Cook to discuss the possibility of Apple acquiring Tesla for one-tenth of its current value. Cook, Musk said, refused the meeting.

During the darkest days of the Model 3 program, I reached out to Tim Cook to discuss the possibility of Apple acquiring Tesla (for 1/10 of our current value). He refused to take the meeting.

-- Elon Musk (@elonmusk)

It isn't clear when the meeting would have taken place, but Musk has previously talked about the "production hell" Tesla experienced during the development of the Model 3 between 2017 and 2019. Based on its current value, Musk's estimated sale price could be about $60 billion.

The Tesla chief executive made the claim in response to news of Apple developing its own battery technology for a so-called "Apple Car" in 2024.

In a previous tweet, Musk called that rumor "strange, if true." He added that Tesla uses iron-phosphate batteries and that a monocell is "electrochemically impossible."

Strange, if true.

- Tesla already uses iron-phosphate for medium range cars made in our Shanghai factory.

- A monocell is electrochemically impossible, as max voltage is ~100X too low. Maybe they meant cells bonded together, like our structural battery pack?

-- Elon Musk (@elonmusk)

Past reports over the year have hinted at Apple's interest in Tesla. In 2014, Apple was said to have secretly met with Musk to discuss the possibility of sale.

In 2019, an analyst also claimed that Apple made an informal bid to acquire Tesla for $240 a share back in 2013.

Apple has been developing its own vehicular technology since at least 2014. Though its car project has seen changes in direction and other road bumps over the years, Apple's development has continued through 2020. According to the report on Monday, it has now progressed to a point where Apple is planning on producing its own passenger vehicle with a breakthrough battery technology in 2024.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    To me, (the fact that Tim Cook refused to buy Tesla) that seems to fit with the idea recently floated by AI that Tesla is overvalued. Perhaps by a factor of 10.
    edited December 2020 StrangeDaysOfertmaydocno42
  • Reply 2 of 62
    I think the $60 billion is explanation enough. Apple has never done any acquisition close to that. And knowing Musk, he likely pitched it higher. No point in discussion if the price starts out way out of range.
    ronnlolliverravnorodomtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 62
    The secret sauce of Tesla is Elon. If he  sell and leave, the magic is gone and value cut in half.

The production volume of Tesla at that time,2017, is really low around 110k. So if you divide by $60B, it is really expensive. 
    williamlondonparaeekerelijahgsvanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62
    If buying Tesla meant bring Musk into Apple, I can see why Cook said no.  Either way, Apple has never been the first to market new technologies.   They just seem to do it better than others, at least, as far as hardware is concerned.

mac_doglarryjwOferronntmayglnfsvanstromglennhfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Tim should at least talk, I'm so frustrated that he refused to do "cool" products. But from Apple's point of view, I would probably not acquire with 50 billion, albeit I would definitely arrange a meeting with Elon, because there's too much overlapping core technologies between what Tesla could bring in and what Apple has been investigating on, plus Tesla's factories, it was worth 10 - 15 billion maximum, the money could be better spent. But at least talk, Tim Cook, see what they were working on!!!
    williamlondonanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Tesla is clearly Musk's company and it always will be. Anybody who bought it could never really own it. I don't blame Apple for not buying. 
    viclauyycronntmayglnfglennhSpamSandwichwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 7 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Interesting piece of trivia, but in the end I believe everyone involved made the right decisions for their respective companies. I'm sorry, but I don't get excited in the least when some folks start talking about Apple getting involved in electric vehicle production. For a company like Apple that has done so well and benefitted so greatly by focusing on problems that reside at the intersection of Technology & Liberal Arts, the grunge work of manufacturing automobiles doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. If Apple gets to the point where it's all about chasing the money they will cease to be Apple.
    NotoriousDEVronnviclauyycglnf
  • Reply 8 of 62
    At current market value, Apple will never have the guts even just thinking out loud
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Maybe, Apple would consider a buyout at $10 billion cash price now!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Apple is all about the politically correct agenda. Apple TV? Apple isn’t interested in being innovative in anything but their core market. They could make tons of money on HomeKit devices. Not to mention Wi-Fi routers and security
    docno42
  • Reply 11 of 62
    viclauyyc said:
    The secret sauce of Tesla is Elon. If he  sell and leave, the magic is gone and value cut in half.
    How so? I realize lots of people have a chub for the guy with the funny name, but since he isn't an auto engineer what makes him essential? Could not another chief executive manage the other executives who manage the engineers? Jobs was similar and Apple has not only survived, but thrived after his departure from life. (And to poo poo any naysayers, my Mac and iPhone and Watch and everything else are fantastic and the best versions I've ever owned.)
    edited December 2020 cornchipOferronnlolliverapplguyBeatsemcnairwatto_cobraleavingthebigg
  • Reply 12 of 62
    But at least talk, Tim Cook, see what they were working on!!!
    That is an excellent reason NOT to talk.

Apple has been sued before for "taking a meeting" then releasing their own "similar" product.

You only take the meeting if there is a serious chance that the sale will happen imminently, which generally means the selling price is a fraction of what it would cost to develop internally, or it leapfrog's the competition.  At the time indicated, Tesla would not have given either of those things.

Apple iPad was not the first to market, Apple Smartphone was not the first to market.  Apple's success is generally in design, technology refinement/simplification, software/hardware integration and scale.

To make money in cars you need incredible scale.  I think Apple are far more likely to buy GM or Ford or an asian marque than Tesla.  That they didn't buy Volvo a few years ago when it was up for sale surprised me.  Either they will (now they have Chinese manufacturing), or they saw it as too small and have larger ambitions.  But if they can "outsource" production, then they don't need to buy production facilities.  I don't know automotive well enough to know if that is really feasible.
    ronnbala1234doggoneBeatsRayz2016delreyjonespatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 62
    mixk said:
    Apple is all about the politically correct agenda. Apple TV? Apple isn’t interested in being innovative in anything but their core market. They could make tons of money on HomeKit devices. Not to mention Wi-Fi routers and security
    Nah. They're interested in equal civil rights, if that's what you mean. Gays, women, minorities, the disabled...Apple routinely reenforces their corporate values that they matter. 

Apple TV innovation how? You don't expect them to sell a commodity low profit margin TV set do you? That's about it. The content is owned by the studios and licensed out primarily. 
    mac_dogronnlolliverRayz2016glnfdelreyjones
  • Reply 14 of 62
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    viclauyyc said:

The production volume of Tesla at that time,2017, is really low around 110k. So if you divide by $60B, it is really expensive. 
    If Musk is the secret sauce, it's Tesla's poison. 
    williamlondonronntmay
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Slightly off topic

But i wish someone would acquire Sonos 
    glennh
  • Reply 16 of 62
    McLaren is the Apple of the automotive industry. And McLaren's market capitalization is dirt cheap, probably around $2 billion. Apple's HQ design is even a copy of McLaren's. That's who I wish Apple would buy.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    viclauyyc said:

Elon Musk is to Tesla like Steve Jobs was to Apple.  In this case, I think it's more so Elon as I think many want to work at Tesla (and SpaceX) specifically because of Elon running the show.  

Tim Cook is a fantastic, amazing CEO.  That being said, he's not the visionary and disruptor like Steve Jobs was.
    viclauyycanantksundaramwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 18 of 62
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Was this before or after Musk’s illegal tweet about taking the company private?
    george kaplanronnbala1234tmaydewmeglnfrandominternetperson
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Tim should at least talk, I'm so frustrated that he refused to do "cool" products. But from Apple's point of view, I would probably not acquire with 50 billion, albeit I would definitely arrange a meeting with Elon, because there's too much overlapping core technologies between what Tesla could bring in and what Apple has been investigating on, plus Tesla's factories, it was worth 10 - 15 billion maximum, the money could be better spent. But at least talk, Tim Cook, see what they were working on!!!
    Good reason not to meet if you’re already developing a competitive product. You can’t be excused of acting in an underhanded manner. 

Apple likes to go it alone. That’s a strength but can also be a weakness. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    viclauyyc said:
    How so? I realize lots of people have a chub for the guy with the funny name, but since he isn't an auto engineer what makes him essential? Could not another chief executive manage the other executives who manage the engineers? Jobs was similar and Apple has not only survived, but thrived after his departure from life. (And to poo poo any naysayers, my Mac and iPhone and Watch and everything else are fantastic and the best versions I've ever owned.)
    By that measure, Steve Jobs did nothing for Apple since he wasn't the engine building Macs, iPods, iPhones, or iPads, and yet Apple is successful because of Steve Jobs vision, not the significant engineering chops of Woz that Jobs saw as a way to make his vision for the Apple Computer happen.
    anantksundaramBeatsglennhgenovelle