After mocking Apple, Xiaomi also omits charger from upcoming Mi 11 flagship

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Looking in my tech junk drawer I’m staring at 5 5W chargers, 1 18W charger, 1 12W charger, at least a dozen USB-A to Lightning cables, a couple of USB-c to Lightning cables and assorted USB-Mini and USB-Micro cables for various gadgets I own. So NO, I don’t need a charger included with my iPhone.
    Exactly. And regulations coming in the EU will hit the 'e-junk' issues. Apple is simply looking forward, not backwards.
    I’m happy for you both, but many of us don’t own devices that use the 18W charger. I agree with those who say that while not including the charger is a good idea, they should have waited until it was the second or third year that uses this type of charger. 
    You can use any USB charger, and you can even use a USB-A to lightning cable. If you have ever owned any iPhone with a lightning cable then you have everything you need to charge any iPhone 12. 

I had a 1970 Ford Pinto.   It had everything I needed too.  But....
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Copy/Paste country doing what Copy/Paste country does. 

As the saying goes: ‘if anyone had an original idea in China it would die of loneliness.’  All this talk of China passing the US is a joke; I don’t care if they put 50 million in AI; they just can’t innovate. 
    Beats
  • Reply 23 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Looking in my tech junk drawer I’m staring at 5 5W chargers, 1 18W charger, 1 12W charger, at least a dozen USB-A to Lightning cables, a couple of USB-c to Lightning cables and assorted USB-Mini and USB-Micro cables for various gadgets I own. So NO, I don’t need a charger included with my iPhone.
    Exactly. And regulations coming in the EU will hit the 'e-junk' issues. Apple is simply looking forward, not backwards.
    I’m happy for you both, but many of us don’t own devices that use the 18W charger. I agree with those who say that while not including the charger is a good idea, they should have waited until it was the second or third year that uses this type of charger. 
    You can use any USB charger, and you can even use a USB-A to lightning cable. If you have ever owned any iPhone with a lightning cable then you have everything you need to charge any iPhone 12. 

Well, George, it’s a done deal and they ain’t coming back, just like the 3.5 mm analog jack. And the fact is that the old chargers and cable scan still charge your devices. And if you feel you’ve been slapped in the face by Apple, well, you have choices. Apparently Apple can’t make enough iPhone 12’s to meet demand so the absence of a charger doesn’t seem to have had any negative effects. I guess people don't mind being slapped in the face.

I remember all the dire predictions of doom when the 3.5mm jack was removed. It was claimed to be a slap in the face also. Gotcha scenarios were rampant, “How can I listen and charge at the same time? GOTCHA. How do I use my expensive wired headphones? GOTCHA. The dongle is unacceptable? GOTCHA. Here were a few years later and no one cares anymore. Same goes for the AirPod Pro Max being trashed by the GOTCHA scenarios.

How can I charge my brand new iPhone if it doesn’t include a charger? GOTCHA! I’m surprised we weren’t treated to a video of an iPhone user sitting at home when their battery goes dead. The camera moves in for a head shot of the user asking, “What now, Apple?
    edited December 2020 jahbladeRayz2016
  • Reply 24 of 62
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Choice benefits the consumer. 

Being cautious I prefer slower/cooler charging to be kindest to my battery. 

With its legacy lightning port my 12 Pro Max is compatible with all the usb Apple chargers I have, and I’ve a lot lol. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 25 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, George, it’s a done deal and they ain’t coming back, just like the 3.5 mm analog jack. And the fact is that the old chargers and cable scan still charge your devices. And if you feel you’ve been slapped in the face by Apple, well, you have choices. Apparently Apple can’t make enough iPhone 12’s to meet demand so the absence of a charger doesn’t seem to have had any negative effects. I guess people don't mind being slapped in the face.

I remember all the dire predictions of doom when the 3.5mm jack was removed. It was claimed to be a slap in the face also. Gotcha scenarios were rampant, “How can I listen and charge at the same time? GOTCHA. How do I use my expensive wired headphones? GOTCHA. The dongle is unacceptable? GOTCHA. Here were a few years later and no one cares anymore. Same goes for the AirPod Pro Max being trashed by the GOTCHA scenarios.

How can I charge my brand new iPhone if it doesn’t include a charger? GOTCHA! I’m surprised we weren’t treated to a video of an iPhone user sitting at home when their battery goes dead. The camera moves in for a head shot of the user asking, “What now, Apple?
    The thing is, Apple has a way of dicking with their customers and getting away with it. For the past 5+ years, they've been selling premium phones at premium prices but shipping an outdated charger that didn't match the phones' capabilities. Now they yank the charger under the guise of 'environmental waste,' saying well, everyone has a charger anyway. And they ship the MagSafe Duo charger with no adapter, even though the majority of people most defiantly don't have an appropriate adapter for it.

If environmental concerns and not money truly were Apple's reason, they would have removed the adapter but still provided one for those who wanted or needed one, or provided a discount. They did neither, they pulled the adapter and kept the cash. 

The same thing goes for the 3.5mm jack - none of the reasons they gave for ditching it held up to any level of scrutiny. They said it was 'obsolete' but they are still including it on iPads and MacBooks. Essentially what Apple does is come up with an excuse to give plausible deniability for their fanbase. Oh, and I talked to not a small number of 'regular' iPhone users that were annoyed and irritated by the lack of a 3.5mm jack.

The reactions of Samsung and Xiaomi are totally predictable. Marketing took advantage of Apple's faux pas, then when the dust settled they took advantage of Apple again and removed the charger themselves so they could save money, too. Really, it was a win-win for Samsung and Xiaomi. they could take a dig at apple and boost their image, then they quietly follow and get the cost savings too. 

I like Apple's products - they are generally well designed and well made. I prefer MacOS to Windows and I'm invested in the ecosystem such that switching would be a major pain in the ass, but I find also find the arrogance of Apple and the fanboys quite irritating. I'm not the only one, I'm just in the minority on an Apple site like this.
    razorpitavon b7GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:

The thing is, Apple has a way of dicking with their customers and getting away with it. For the past 5+ years, they've been selling premium phones at premium prices but shipping an outdated charger that didn't match the phones' capabilities. Now they yank the charger under the guise of 'environmental waste,' saying well, everyone has a charger anyway. And they ship the MagSafe Duo charger with no adapter, even though the majority of people most defiantly don't have an appropriate adapter for it.

If environmental concerns and not money truly were Apple's reason, they would have removed the adapter but still provided one for those who wanted or needed one, or provided a discount. They did neither, they pulled the adapter and kept the cash. 

The same thing goes for the 3.5mm jack - none of the reasons they gave for ditching it held up to any level of scrutiny. They said it was 'obsolete' but they are still including it on iPads and MacBooks. Essentially what Apple does is come up with an excuse to give plausible deniability for their fanbase. Oh, and I talked to not a small number of 'regular' iPhone users that were annoyed and irritated by the lack of a 3.5mm jack.

The reactions of Samsung and Xiaomi are totally predictable. Marketing took advantage of Apple's faux pas, then when the dust settled they took advantage of Apple again and removed the charger themselves so they could save money, too. Really, it was a win-win for Samsung and Xiaomi. they could take a dig at apple and boost their image, then they quietly follow and get the cost savings too. 

I like Apple's products - they are generally well designed and well made. I prefer MacOS to Windows and I'm invested in the ecosystem such that switching would be a major pain in the ass, but I find also find the arrogance of Apple and the fanboys quite irritating. I'm not the only one, I'm just in the minority on an Apple site like this.
    I don't recall Apple or anyone who speaks for them making that statement. The fact that it comes with a USB-C-to-Lightning means that most people will not a drawer full of PSUs that will work with it, which is why I suggested Apple offer the USB-C charger for a couple iterations (the standard refresh rate for most users) before removing the wasteful PSU (and headphones) from the box.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 62
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Wow the iKnockoff morons are really quiet today.....
    lkrupp
  • Reply 28 of 62
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    At least Xiaomi reached out to their audience to canvas their opinions on the move.

With Apple, it’s their way or the highway...
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Credit to Apple here: This is one of those things that Apple does that seems to be a big mistake at first but turns out to be the right thing to do in the end.
    The reasons why Apple was right:
    1. I have a draw full of chargers already.
    2. All my power strips now have USB charging plugs.
    3. I prefer to charge my iPhone with an affordable Anker wireless charging stand.
    4. Trying to figure out which of those Apple chargers I need to charge my iPad is a PITA.
    5. Frankly other companies do a better job of producing great chargers at a reasonable price than Apple did.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Copy/Paste country doing what Copy/Paste country does. 

As the saying goes: ‘if anyone had an original idea in China it would die of loneliness.’  All this talk of China passing the US is a joke; I don’t care if they put 50 million in AI; they just can’t innovate. 

Where did you hear that?   Or did you hear it 20-25 years ago when it was true?
    Chinese kids crush the U.S. in education.   Huawei spends more on R&D than Apple does, which is one reason why China is well ahead of the U.S. in 5G and telecommunications in general.   They also contained the virus and opened up months ago while we floundered and flailed =- that's why the projected date for them to pass up the U.S. as the world's #1 economy got moved up 5 years to 2028.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, George, it’s a done deal and they ain’t coming back, just like the 3.5 mm analog jack. ....
    Comparing the elimination of modern charging bricks (or ANY charging brick!) to the headphone jack is a false analogy.
    There was engineering benefit to eliminating the headphone jack .
    There is zero benefit to anybody (but Apple's bottom line) to them eliminating the charging brick.  (Few bought their rather weak excuse about recycling).

• Reply 32 of 62
    JFC_PA said:
    Choice benefits the consumer. 

Being cautious I prefer slower/cooler charging to be kindest to my battery. 

With its legacy lightning port my 12 Pro Max is compatible with all the usb Apple chargers I have, and I’ve a lot lol. 

I got a 20 watt charging brick for my friend to go with her iPhone 12 Mini.
    I told her to keep it in the kitchen for fast charging as needed and to keep her old 5Watt brick in her bedroom for for overnight charging.

Fast charging is nice if you see your phone is on empty but you have to leave the house soon.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 33 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:

Yes, unless it’s negativity about Apple it’s not legitimate. if it’s positivity it’s fanboyism. Yeah, we get it. And now comes the backpedalling. “I hate Apple with a passion because they are arrogant, overprice their products, and screw over their customers with abandon. BUT I can’t leave because it would be too hard so I just bitch, whine, rage, and scream about this evil entity I’m stuck with. There are many here who jump with glee when Apple stumbles, gets sued, or suffers a PR gltich.

You say you are in the minority on an Apple tech blog? So does that mean you think you are the majority in the rest of the world where Apple is hated?
    edited December 2020 Rayz2016
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Ditching chargers is just a way to increase profits with the “environment” as an excuse. It’s not that Apple reduced their prices to compensate for the lack of a charger. Hypocrite behavior.

Ofcourse every company wants to increase profits, so now Apple took this step and there hasn’t been any considerable backlash, other companies know they won’t be scrutinized and follow the same strategy.

Ofcourse, AppleInsider being AppleInsider, they instead focus on these companies having “mocked” Apple before going in the same direction.

Meh. 
    MplsPGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Ditching chargers is just a way to increase profits with the “environment” as an excuse. It’s not that Apple reduced their prices to compensate for the lack of a charger. Hypocrite behavior.

Ofcourse every company wants to increase profits, so now Apple took this step and there hasn’t been any considerable backlash, other companies know they won’t be scrutinized and follow the same strategy.

Ofcourse, AppleInsider being AppleInsider, they instead focus on these companies having “mocked” Apple before going in the same direction.

Meh. 
    Why would they reduce their prices. For example, you think that $599.99 is some magical price that had nothing to do with how products were sold, where it would be completely reasonable to drop it by $3.71?

Apple's prices are based on a variety of factors, just as their costs. They are absolutely no different than any other company in this regard. What you've blindly failed to acknowledge with this removal—as well as every other removal or addition of HW—is how the give or take affects the rest of the device. Not including the PSU and headphones allows for small reduction in cost from the PSU, as well as the box, but you haven't considered how this small savings could be used to allow for an increase (or addition) of another component while being able to keep the same price point whilst staying within the likely profit margin window.

If you're still to following how basic business works then consider the 3.5mm jack that used to be in older iPhones. Did you say the same thing when the removed the 3.5mm jack? I'm guessing you did, but was there a hole in the phone when it was removed? No. How about an empty cavity or unused pins and wines where the jack used toe? Nope. Instead they engineered the device to utilize the space being removed which allowed for the device to advance. So if this reduction in cost also allowed for better camera HW that would've led to this device not being able to be priced the same while staying within the profit margin window then why is that, to you, hypocritical?
    BeatsDetnator
  • Reply 36 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:

Yes, unless it’s negativity about Apple it’s not legitimate. if it’s positivity it’s fanboyism. Yeah, we get it. And now comes the backpedalling. “I hate Apple with a passion because they are arrogant, overprice their products, and screw over their customers with abandon. BUT I can’t leave because it would be too hard so I just bitch, whine, rage, and scream about this evil entity I’m stuck with. There are many here who jump with glee when Apple stumbles, gets sued, or suffers a PR gltich.

You say you are in the minority on an Apple tech blog? So does that mean you think you are the majority in the rest of the world where Apple is hated?
    And you provide a classic example. Any post that isn't glowingly positive is derided with straw man arguments and mischaracterizations rather than an actual coherent argument. Let's analyze your post:
    "unless it’s negativity about Apple it’s not legitimate. if it’s positivity it’s fanboyism" - nope. I didn't say that, you did. It does show that you have difficulty with anything that isn't black and white, though.
    "I hate Apple with a passion because they are arrogant, overprice their products, and screw over their customers with abandon" Nope - I didn't say that either. I actually said I like their products, but find their arrogance irritating. Big difference. Perhaps you have problems with nuance?
    "There are many here who jump with glee when Apple stumbles, gets sued, or suffers a PR gltich" there are some, not a lot in my experience. You imply that because I actually criticize apple I jump with glee when they get sued. Please find an example of me doing so. 

Your post reads like those of many Trump followers - everything must be all or nothing; You either love everything or you're a hater. Believe it or not, it is quite possible to like some parts of a company and dislike other parts; To like products but think they are overpriced, and to believe in a company but not believe in everything they do.

To get an idea of how many people outside of apple blogs think, try reading this thread: https://community.cartalk.com/t/an-apple-self-driving-electric-car-by-2024/173539. I don't agree with all the points made but it's a good example.

muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacrazorpit
  • Reply 37 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    If any of these companies truly cared about the environment, they would only release a new phone every 4 years or so. They know full well that many, many people buy the next model the second it comes out. No one really needs a new phone or computer every year. 
  • Reply 38 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    A 5-watt charger that you most likely own will charge any iPhone to 100% overnight while you sleep and not shorten your battery’s life as much as fast-charging would.

jeez.. the amount of whining going on here is strong.
    jahbladeDetnator
  • Reply 39 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflocal said:
    A 5-watt charger that you most likely own will charge any iPhone to 100% overnight while you sleep and not shorten your battery’s life as much as fast-charging would.

jeez.. the amount of whining going on here is strong.

Then why, ever since the iPhone 8 has Apple improved them to accept "Fast Charging" if overnight charging is all people want or need?

Apple's excuse was lame, but still better.
    MplsP
  • Reply 40 of 62
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy and bias in this thread is too much.

hentaiboy said:
    At least Xiaomi reached out to their audience to canvas their opinions on the move.

With Apple, it’s their way or the highway...

Yeah this move totally would have happened if Apple didn't lead the industry.....