After mocking Apple, Xiaomi also omits charger from upcoming Mi 11 flagship

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    What is the price that one puts for the advances in the iPhone, like the better camera, the LiDAR sensor and the other improvements/ differences to the case? What is the price one puts on the 5G modem?

At some point of time, Apple will need to raise the price of the iPhones to account for the advances to maintain their margin. If not including the headphones, or the charging brick is going to postpone that price increase by another year, I am all for it.

I have chargers connected to my sofa, my computer and next to my bed - all of them are the old USB-A chargers and all of them work with my iPhone 12. 

It must have been pretty difficult for Apple to keep a straight face when they said they were eliminating the brick for the sake of the environment, but at the end of the day, the statement is not wrong. There are a lot of direct and indirect benefits of having eliminated the brick.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    The more companies that do this the better it will be for everyone - eventually. Once the majority of people no longer have an expectation that the charger (and eventually headphones) are included in the box the sooner we’ll transition the normal to bundle purchasing, where you purchase the phone along with the accessories that best fit your functional and budget requirements. Simply having unnecessary accessories or the wrong accessories in the box is incredibly wasteful, especially when you go out and purchase the accessories you really want after the fact and throw the included accessories in the junk drawer.

Good for Apple for getting people to think differently about how they can maximize the value of their product purchases while avoiding unnecessary waste. Kudos to other vendors for following Apple’s lead even when it means admitting a previous mistake. I will never belittle someone for admitting a mistake and making it right. Clinging to a false narrative and keeping a lie alive is far more humiliating and unbecoming. 
    Detnator
  • Reply 43 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What is the price that one puts for the advances in the iPhone, like the better camera, the LiDAR sensor and the other improvements/ differences to the case? What is the price one puts on the 5G modem?

At some point of time, Apple will need to raise the price of the iPhones to account for the advances to maintain their margin. If not including the headphones, or the charging brick is going to postpone that price increase by another year, I am all for it.

I have chargers connected to my sofa, my computer and next to my bed - all of them are the old USB-A chargers and all of them work with my iPhone 12. 

It must have been pretty difficult for Apple to keep a straight face when they said they were eliminating the brick for the sake of the environment, but at the end of the day, the statement is not wrong. There are a lot of direct and indirect benefits of having eliminated the brick.

Moore's law says not.
  • Reply 44 of 62

I had previously mentioned it with regard to Samsung and now I have to do the same with regard to Xiaomi, just because this site does not do its homework before publishing articles.

And off course all Apple fans automatically cry copycat and alike!

This is the full statement from Xiaomi:

“As for the in-box charger removal, the announcement is for Mainland China market. Xiaomi will be offering two versions, one with smartphone only, and the other with the smartphone and a separate 55W GaN charger as a bundle, both at the same price.”

It is not about shipping chargers at extra cost and ripping customers as Apple does.

No, Xiaomi is not doing it like Apple. It is following Samsung who did it first by omitting headphones in the packages (Apple copied actually Samsung and went one step further) and offering everyone who wanted it the headphones at no extra cost.

Here is the link:

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi-11-charger-1188270/

Sorry Apple fans: Apple has not set a trend, it just followed (in your language copied) Samsung but in a negative way. Good that Xiaomi is following Samsung in a positive way.

Thumbs up Xiaomi and Samsung, thumbs down Apple!

MplsPGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 45 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member

Moore's law says not.
    None of Moore's Law makes claims about new components added to a device will be cheaper than an older product without such features.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    FoodLover said:

I had previously mentioned it with regard to Samsung and now I have to do the same with regard to Xiaomi, just because this site does not do its homework before publishing articles.

And off course all Apple fans automatically cry copycat and alike!

This is the full statement from Xiaomi:

“As for the in-box charger removal, the announcement is for Mainland China market. Xiaomi will be offering two versions, one with smartphone only, and the other with the smartphone and a separate 55W GaN charger as a bundle, both at the same price.”

It is not about shipping chargers at extra cost and ripping customers as Apple does.

No, Xiaomi is not doing it like Apple. It is following Samsung who did it first by omitting headphones in the packages (Apple copied actually Samsung and went one step further) and offering everyone who wanted it the headphones at no extra cost.

Here is the link:

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi-11-charger-1188270/

Sorry Apple fans: Apple has not set a trend, it just followed (in your language copied) Samsung but in a negative way. Good that Xiaomi is following Samsung in a positive way.

Thumbs up Xiaomi and Samsung, thumbs down Apple!

This crap has already been debunked and you refuse to believe the truth.

NO, Apple does not "copy Samsung" a manufacturer that releases knockoff Apple products. That's just absurd. 

You can move the goalposts all over the place but had Apple not removed anything or rumors have not sprung out, no one would have removed anything. PERIOD.
    Samsung loves to copy Apple rumors and patents(GalaxyWatch, Galaxy Edge, Galaxy Fold, Removing accessories etc. etc.) so idiots like yourself can think they're an innovator.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 47 of 62
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dewme said:
    The more companies that do this the better it will be for everyone - eventually. Once the majority of people no longer have an expectation that the charger (and eventually headphones) are included in the box the sooner we’ll transition the normal to bundle purchasing, where you purchase the phone along with the accessories that best fit your functional and budget requirements. Simply having unnecessary accessories or the wrong accessories in the box is incredibly wasteful, especially when you go out and purchase the accessories you really want after the fact and throw the included accessories in the junk drawer.

Good for Apple for getting people to think differently about how they can maximize the value of their product purchases while avoiding unnecessary waste. Kudos to other vendors for following Apple’s lead even when it means admitting a previous mistake. I will never belittle someone for admitting a mistake and making it right. Clinging to a false narrative and keeping a lie alive is far more humiliating and unbecoming. 

Companies copying Apple is one thing, but MOCKING Apple before they do the same just pisses me off.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Xed said:
    Ditching chargers is just a way to increase profits with the “environment” as an excuse. It’s not that Apple reduced their prices to compensate for the lack of a charger. Hypocrite behavior.

Ofcourse every company wants to increase profits, so now Apple took this step and there hasn’t been any considerable backlash, other companies know they won’t be scrutinized and follow the same strategy.

Ofcourse, AppleInsider being AppleInsider, they instead focus on these companies having “mocked” Apple before going in the same direction.

Meh. 
    Why would they reduce their prices. For example, you think that $599.99 is some magical price that had nothing to do with how products were sold, where it would be completely reasonable to drop it by $3.71?

Apple's prices are based on a variety of factors, just as their costs. They are absolutely no different than any other company in this regard. What you've blindly failed to acknowledge with this removal—as well as every other removal or addition of HW—is how the give or take affects the rest of the device. Not including the PSU and headphones allows for small reduction in cost from the PSU, as well as the box, but you haven't considered how this small savings could be used to allow for an increase (or addition) of another component while being able to keep the same price point whilst staying within the likely profit margin window.

If you're still to following how basic business works then consider the 3.5mm jack that used to be in older iPhones. Did you say the same thing when the removed the 3.5mm jack? I'm guessing you did, but was there a hole in the phone when it was removed? No. How about an empty cavity or unused pins and wines where the jack used toe? Nope. Instead they engineered the device to utilize the space being removed which allowed for the device to advance. So if this reduction in cost also allowed for better camera HW that would've led to this device not being able to be priced the same while staying within the profit margin window then why is that, to you, hypocritical?
    Using your logic, the only way Apple can add features to their phones is either by removing accessories or by increasing the price. Since there are no more accessories to remove, every feature they add must then result in a price increase. Clearly that’s not the case and It is not a zero-sum equation. 
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 62
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    Ditching chargers is just a way to increase profits with the “environment” as an excuse. It’s not that Apple reduced their prices to compensate for the lack of a charger. Hypocrite behavior.

Ofcourse every company wants to increase profits, so now Apple took this step and there hasn’t been any considerable backlash, other companies know they won’t be scrutinized and follow the same strategy.

Ofcourse, AppleInsider being AppleInsider, they instead focus on these companies having “mocked” Apple before going in the same direction.

Meh. 
    Why would they reduce their prices. For example, you think that $599.99 is some magical price that had nothing to do with how products were sold, where it would be completely reasonable to drop it by $3.71?

Apple's prices are based on a variety of factors, just as their costs. They are absolutely no different than any other company in this regard. What you've blindly failed to acknowledge with this removal—as well as every other removal or addition of HW—is how the give or take affects the rest of the device. Not including the PSU and headphones allows for small reduction in cost from the PSU, as well as the box, but you haven't considered how this small savings could be used to allow for an increase (or addition) of another component while being able to keep the same price point whilst staying within the likely profit margin window.

If you're still to following how basic business works then consider the 3.5mm jack that used to be in older iPhones. Did you say the same thing when the removed the 3.5mm jack? I'm guessing you did, but was there a hole in the phone when it was removed? No. How about an empty cavity or unused pins and wines where the jack used toe? Nope. Instead they engineered the device to utilize the space being removed which allowed for the device to advance. So if this reduction in cost also allowed for better camera HW that would've led to this device not being able to be priced the same while staying within the profit margin window then why is that, to you, hypocritical?
    Using your logic, the only way Apple can add features to their phones is either by removing accessories or by increasing the price. Since there are no more accessories to remove, every feature they add must then result in a price increase. Clearly that’s not the case and It is not a zero-sum equation. 
    Some do, others don't. As already stated, adding a 5G radios adds costs from the HW, engineering, trials, certifications, patents, etc., but other things will be reduced, especially if they are the same or very similar component from the previous year. This notion that Apple should be able increase the capability of everything while adding anything it wants to a product while also making it less expensive while keeping the same profit margin is something only anti-Apple idiots seems to harp on. 
    Fidonet127Detnator
  • Reply 50 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

I remember all the dire predictions of doom when the 3.5mm jack was removed. It was claimed to be a slap in the face also. Gotcha scenarios were rampant, “How can I listen and charge at the same time? GOTCHA. How do I use my expensive wired headphones? GOTCHA. The dongle is unacceptable? GOTCHA. Here were a few years later and no one cares anymore. 
    I still care.  It annoys me probably on average once every few days.  There's quite a few things about Apple devices that annoy me every now and then.  On the current trajectory then they may eventually be enough that I won't want to use Apple stuff any more.  I already don't want to use (i.e. buy) the AirPods Max.

The thing is, I don't want to be annoyed by Apple stuff.  It's so good in so many ways, yet these "courageous" decisions to make their own products worse are mounting up.
    MplsPavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 62
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

I remember all the dire predictions of doom when the 3.5mm jack was removed. It was claimed to be a slap in the face also. Gotcha scenarios were rampant, “How can I listen and charge at the same time? GOTCHA. How do I use my expensive wired headphones? GOTCHA. The dongle is unacceptable? GOTCHA. Here were a few years later and no one cares anymore. 
    I still care.  It annoys me probably on average once every few days.  There's quite a few things about Apple devices that annoy me every now and then.  On the current trajectory then they may eventually be enough that I won't want to use Apple stuff any more.  I already don't want to use (i.e. buy) the AirPods Max.

The thing is, I don't want to be annoyed by Apple stuff.  It's so good in so many ways, yet these "courageous" decisions to make their own products worse are mounting up.

Every customer wants to feel valued and respected and that they are getting a reasonable and fair deal.

When customers start feeling treated unfairly or taken advantage of the company tends to lose customers no matter how great their product is.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:

Meh. 

Some do, others don't. As already stated, adding a 5G radios adds costs from the HW, engineering, trials, certifications, patents, etc., but other things will be reduced, especially if they are the same or very similar component from the previous year. This notion that Apple should be able increase the capability of everything while adding anything it wants to a product while also making it less expensive while keeping the same profit margin is something only anti-Apple idiots seems to harp on. 
    The other part of the equation you are ignoring is the profit margin. Any manufacturer has to cover production and sales costs. Apple has to cover significant R&D costs as well. Still, Apple has among the largest profit margins in the industry. The fact that they have huge cash reserves indicates that these are true profit margins above the aforementioned costs. That means the equation isn’t ‘what new feature can we add by taking out the charger,’ rather it’s ‘are we happy with the profit margin and can we make more money by taking out the charger?’ What is a reasonable profit margin? That depends on who you’re asking, and that’s part of the role of a free market.

I don’t know of anyone who says “Apple add anything it wants without increasing the price.” That seems to be more of an excuse and mischaracterization people use to dismiss others who disagree with price increases. People do expect the phone to be competitive in terms of features and price. If everyone else is making phones with similar feature sets for $xx, it’s reasonable to expect apple to do so as well. 
    edited December 2020 avon b7muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 53 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    sflocal said:
    A 5-watt charger that you most likely own will charge any iPhone to 100% overnight while you sleep and not shorten your battery’s life as much as fast-charging would.

jeez.. the amount of whining going on here is strong.

Then why, ever since the iPhone 8 has Apple improved them to accept "Fast Charging" if overnight charging is all people want or need?

Apple's excuse was lame, but still better.
    why... why... WHY??!!!  *rolls eyes*

Because there's always those people that have to have it now.  They can't wait, they're power hogs, and they just have to go from 100% to 5% in three hours and need that quick fix.  So many are wired this way now.  It's like those that complain about the position of the charging port on the Magic Mouse.  They just can't plug it in overnight, or at a lunch break and get full use for weeks.  These are those people complaining.

I installed USB/power receptacles in my house so I don't even use a charging. brick at home.   At work, my desk has it built in.   In my car, it has a USB port with another of my countless cables plugged in left in there permanently.  When I'm on vacation, I rarely use my phone so my 5w charger works perfectly overnight.  I have an external, portable battery pack for those rare in-between areas of no power options that has served me well for years.

People just need to complain.  
  • Reply 54 of 62
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:

Meh. 

The other part of the equation you are ignoring is the profit margin. Any manufacturer has to cover production and sales costs. Apple has to cover significant R&D costs as well. Still, Apple has among the largest profit margins in the industry. The fact that they have huge cash reserves indicates that these are true profit margins above the aforementioned costs. That means the equation isn’t ‘what new feature can we add by taking out the charger,’ rather it’s ‘are we happy with the profit margin and can we make more money by taking out the charger?’ What is a reasonable profit margin? That depends on who you’re asking, and that’s part of the role of a free market.

I don’t know of anyone who says “Apple add anything it wants without increasing the price.” That seems to be more of an excuse and mischaracterization people use to dismiss others who disagree with price increases. People do expect the phone to be competitive in terms of features and price. If everyone else is making phones with similar feature sets for $xx, it’s reasonable to expect apple to do so as well. 
    I clearly detailed profit margin. You even quoted me mentioning profit margin several time. I don't get why people like you seem to prefer to make claims about Apple "raping" you on price simply because they make a profit based on performance as others with much lower unit sales are having to sell their devices a loss. I'm not sure if it's more ignorance or insanity to assume Apple should be as inefficient in business as their competitors.

Why does it matter to you if a company makes more of a profit than another if you're just a consumer buying their product? It shouldn't. All that should matter is whether the product has the value for your needs. Full stop.

Learning just a tiny a bit about how products are priced instead of just blindly hating Apple because they're successful would go a long way.

PS: What's this stupidity about "similar feature sets" now? Can you really not comprehend how different materials and build-quality can affect the cost, desirability, and value of a product without affecting some superficial list of features found on a spec sheet? I'm not even talking about intrinsic values, but actual physical differences that make something better without being a listed feature.
    edited December 2020 Detnator
  • Reply 55 of 62
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:
    A 5-watt charger that you most likely own will charge any iPhone to 100% overnight while you sleep and not shorten your battery’s life as much as fast-charging would.

Then why, ever since the iPhone 8 has Apple improved them to accept "Fast Charging" if overnight charging is all people want or need?

Because there's always those people that have to have it now.  They can't wait, they're power hogs, and they just have to go from 100% to 5% in three hours and need that quick fix.  So many are wired this way now.  It's like those that complain about the position of the charging port on the Magic Mouse.  They just can't plug it in overnight, or at a lunch break and get full use for weeks.  These are those people complaining.

I installed USB/power receptacles in my house so I don't even use a charging. brick at home.   At work, my desk has it built in.   In my car, it has a USB port with another of my countless cables plugged in left in there permanently.  When I'm on vacation, I rarely use my phone so my 5w charger works perfectly overnight.  I have an external, portable battery pack for those rare in-between areas of no power options that has served me well for years.

I doubt it comes down to certain types of people, but all people with certain needs. For instance, I usually charge with a 3rd-party Qi charger next to the bed. Usually that's enough but sometimes if I use my iPhone a lot and/or forget to charge at night I may notice it's almost dead so I use my MBP's PSU with a USB-C-to-Lightning cable to fast charge. I like the option for fast charging despite rarely using it.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:

Meh. 

I clearly detailed profit margin. You even quoted me mentioning profit margin several time. I don't get why people like you seem to prefer to make claims about Apple "raping" you on price simply because they make a profit based on performance as others with much lower unit sales are having to sell their devices a loss. I'm not sure if it's more ignorance or insanity to assume Apple should be as inefficient in business as their competitors.

Why does it matter to you if a company makes more of a profit than another if you're just a consumer buying their product? It shouldn't. All that should matter is whether the product has the value for your needs. Full stop.

Learning just a tiny a bit about how products are priced instead of just blindly hating Apple because they're successful would go a long way.

PS: What's this stupidity about "similar feature sets" now? Can you really not comprehend how different materials and build-quality can affect the cost, desirability, and value of a product without affecting some superficial list of features found on a spec sheet? I'm not even talking about intrinsic values, but actual physical differences that make something better without being a listed feature.
    I don't ever recall saying anything about apple raping people. You imply that every other company on the market is selling their wares at a loss just so they can compete with Apple. I highly doubt that is the case, but please provide some evidence it it is. If another company can make a profit at a lower price, or if Apple has to price their products at a higher price to maintain profits how does that make Apple more efficient? It seems to me it would be the opposite.

"All that should matter is whether the product has the value for your needs. Full stop." Value is a combination of features and price. And you are completely correct. You seem to think that we all should care enough to pay more and or get less so they can maintain their profits. Why should I accept getting less for my money just because Apple (or any company) wants to maintain their profit margins? You are essentially making my point - I don't care about Apple's or any other companies profits. I care about what I get for my money.

And I'm more than able to comprehend things like build quality. I consider product quality as part of a product's feature set. I guess I was just stupid to think that you were smart enough to figure that out without me spelling it out.
    edited December 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 62
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:

Yeh, when something is wrong I tend to complain.  
  • Reply 58 of 62
    An equivalent thing to Apple leaving the charger out is Apple leaving the HDMI cord out of the Apple TV.
    The unit is worthless without one and few have extra HDMI cords laying around -- especially high speed 4K HDMI cords.

I'm leaving for BestBuy now to get one so I can connect the Apple TV I got for Christmas.   I guess Apple needed that $30 more than I do.
    MplsP
  • Reply 59 of 62
    An equivalent thing to Apple leaving the charger out is Apple leaving the HDMI cord out of the Apple TV.
    The unit is worthless without one and few have extra HDMI cords laying around -- especially high speed 4K HDMI cords.

I'm leaving for BestBuy now to get one so I can connect the Apple TV I got for Christmas.   I guess Apple needed that $30 more than I do.
    Personally I’m hoping they leave out the power cord, too. We all have extras of those cords with the figure-8 end. Think how much waste apple could save by not including them. They’re not that expensive; you can buy one if you need one, right?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    MplsP said:

Personally I’m hoping they leave out the power cord, too. We all have extras of those cords with the figure-8 end. Think how much waste apple could save by not including them. They’re not that expensive; you can buy one if you need one, right?

They could save even more waste by leaving out the battery. 

I'm not buying the "waste" argument.   It sounds like an excuse.   An excuse to save costs and improve profits.