Apple Car could be made in the US by Hyundai in 2024

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2021
A partnership between Apple and Hyundai over the production of the rumored "Apple Car" could produce its first self-driving vehicle in the US by 2024, a new report on Sunday claims.

On Friday, reports claimed that Apple was in talks with Hyundai about its automotive efforts, with a deal being worked on that could allow the South Korean car manufacturer to produce the so-called "Apple Car." In a second report with new details on Sunday, more details of what could be agreed between the two companies have come to light.

According to industry sources of Korea IT News, in a report spotted by Reuters, the "Apple Car" plan could involve the start of production as early as 2024, earlier than a previously-claimed 2027 schedule. Furthermore, the factory itself would most likely be based in the United States.

The proposals would involve either the assembly of cars at a factory in Georgia owned by Hyundai affiliate Kia Motors, or the construction of a new factory in the country. It is believed that plans will involve the production of around 100,000 vehicles in 2024, with an annual capacity of the plant being higher at 400,000 vehicles.

In a bid to perfect the vehicle, it is claimed Hyundai and Apple are planning to release a "beta version" of the car in 2022.

Friday's report followed after Hyundai issued a statement confirming it was in early-stage talks with Apple, but that "nothing has been decided" at that stage. The confirmation led Hyundai's shares to shoot up almost 20%.

A 2024 release for the "Apple Car" is slightly earlier than predictions and forecasts by analysts, with TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo proposing it wouldn't arrive until 2025 at the earliest in a report from late December. On January 7, another report put the rumored vehicle at between five and seven years away from arriving on the market.

Analysts have also been generally positive on the "Apple Car's" chances, saying the rumored product has the potential to significantly disrupt the automotive industry, partly due to its potential to integrate hardware, software, and services. It has even been suggested Apple has the potential to pose a threat to Tesla.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    I hate that it’s Hyundai honestly. 
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 77
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Told you in my previous comment(Apple must have EV by 2025 if decided to get into EV race/market) when first time the news broke on AI that well known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple EV not until next 5-7 years. EV market is moving fast. Tesla proved it can be done and become #1 in valuation. GM said plans to release 30 new EVs globally by 2025, including more than 20 just for North America. Toyota will offer in next 2-3 years solid state battery EVs, So, Germans,Chinese,Koreans, all targeting on or before 2025. Apple if wants to be in EV market than better be 2024-25.

edited January 2021 Hypereality
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Hyundai makes great cars. I never bought a car from the same manufacturer twice, because of quality issues, or design shortcomings. I made an exception with Hyundai. My last two cars, hybrids, have been from Hyundai and I have been very pleased with them. In fact, I’m looking forward to buying my next (hopefully fully electric) car from them. All this to say that Hyundai seems to be a great choice to materialise the elusive Apple car.
    GeorgeBMacelijahgspock1234dewme
  • Reply 4 of 77
    AMayfield said:
    I think Hyundai will be for Apple Car that, what is Foxconn now for iPhone. They will produce a car, that is fully developed and designed
    by Apple: software and hardware included!
    dk49tobianpulseimagesplastico23mwhiteJazzMonkeymattinozspock1234watto_cobrakkqd1337
  • Reply 5 of 77
    dk49dk49 Posts: 266member
    qwerty52 said:
    AMayfield said:
    I think Hyundai will be for Apple Car that, what is Foxconn now for iPhone. They will produce a car, that is fully developed and designed
    by Apple: software and hardware included!
    Exactly. It doesn't matter if Hyundai doesn't produce premium cars. Apple just needs an experienced car manufacturer who is willing to do exactly as it says - everything right from nuts and bolts. A manufacturer like BMW would probably have its own taunts, and more importantly, would want a partnership with Apple rather than simply be a manufacturer for others.
    qwerty52tobianJazzMonkeyspock1234watto_cobradewmeStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 6 of 77
    AMayfield said:
    Look at Genesis; Hyundai’s luxury brand. It’s cars are ranked at the top with the German luxury brands and often beats them in terms of quality and driving dynamics. I think this is going to be good for Apple. 
    doggoneelijahgplastico23radarthekatspock1234MplsPStrangeDaysHypereality
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Competition is always good....
  • Reply 9 of 77
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    micklb74 said:
    Yes. 

And Bosch has 30,000 software engineers working on varying aspects of Autonomous Driving and in January last year claimed that all of the technical hurdles had been overcome. The only things remaining were testing and refinement, standards and protocols, economies of scale and convincing users. 
    edited January 2021 h4y3s
  • Reply 10 of 77
    tobiantobian Posts: 148member
    Hyundai can do it cheap
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 11 of 77
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Apple will need a manufacturer who has the ability to meet their production requirements and can produce the quality they need.

China is out since they have no mainstream production that sells in the US.  Nor does Taiwan.  Japan would be too expensive and no way would any of the major car makers do contract work for Apple.  So in APAC, Hyundai are probably the best option and have definitely improved their quality over the last five years. 

In the US, there is probably a lot of spare capacity in Detroit but no one to take responsibility for it.  The big car makers would not do contract work so it would be up to Apple to manage the whole process.  Sure Tesla did that in the Fremont, CA plant but they took a long time to become profitable.  
    pulseimageswatto_cobraHypereality
  • Reply 12 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I suspect that any American factory will be simply final assembly -- much as Foxconn does.   Few cars -- particularly "Amercan" ones are made solely in one country.  For auto makers Mexico, the U.S. and Canada have operated more like the EU with parts flowing freely back and forth over borders.

Even decades ago Cadillac initiated that with one of its now defunct models -- moving it back and forth between the U.S. and Italy.

If its made entirely in the U.S. I doubt I'll be able to afford one.  Or, if I can, be willing to part with that kind of cash.   And, by the time is this car will be available, EV and even self-driving cars will be mainstream.  But, I am glad to see this industry finally moving forward -- it's been stalled for the last 4 years.   Biden will support the infrastructure (read charging stations) needed to support it and help it grow.

For myself, I'm tired of buying gasoline.  And, as an older person living in the auto dependent suburbs and planning on getting even older, a self driving car could be a panacea.  I fear having an accident and losing my license -- my entire lifestyle would change.   But a self-driving car could make a huge difference.
    mwhitewatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 13 of 77
    In line with the copycat strategy of Samsung, I am wondering how it comes, that they did not already copied Apple (for the N-th time again),
    to announce their Samsung Car?
    Or I have missed something?  ;) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Thank god it’s not GM, Ford or Chrysler. 
    GeorgeBMacradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member
    wood1208 said:
    Told you in my previous comment(Apple must have EV by 2025 if decided to get into EV race/market) when first time the news broke on AI that well known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple EV not until next 5-7 years. EV market is moving fast. Tesla proved it can be done and become #1 in valuation. GM said plans to release 30 new EVs globally by 2025, including more than 20 just for North America. Toyota will offer in next 2-3 years solid state battery EVs, So, Germans,Chinese,Koreans, all targeting on or before 2025. Apple if wants to be in EV market than better be 2024-25.

Why?  Apple was late to the mobile phone market too.  Look how well they’re doing now.
    JWSCspock1234watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 77
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    doggone said:
    Apple will need a manufacturer who has the ability to meet their production requirements and can produce the quality they need.

China is out since they have no mainstream production that sells in the US.  Nor does Taiwan.  Japan would be too expensive and no way would any of the major car makers do contract work for Apple.  So in APAC, Hyundai are probably the best option and have definitely improved their quality over the last five years. 

In the US, there is probably a lot of spare capacity in Detroit but no one to take responsibility for it.  The big car makers would not do contract work so it would be up to Apple to manage the whole process.  Sure Tesla did that in the Fremont, CA plant but they took a long time to become profitable.  
    Mostly agree although Tesla loses money in every car it sells. It is only profitable through sales of EV credits as offsets to other car manufacturers not yet meeting their EV targets. Once the other manufacturers meet these imposed targets Tesla will quickly be in a world of pain. Its share price is a great example of the thundering herd. The trick will be working out  how to take advantage and the best time to jump off. It doesn’t make sense and a lot of short sellers have been burnt while Tesla  shares continue to defy gravity.

Hyundai Group is currently ironing out the kinks in its new global platform with the latest Santa Fe/Sorento which is built explicitly to house large batteries low down under the floor. No doubt this piqued Apple's interest.
    tmaywatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 17 of 77
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The only working strategy is Apple licensing its self driving packages to automakers. Tesla is charging $10,000/car for it. Apple could further charge a subscription fee for updates. 
  • Reply 18 of 77
    It’ll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. I personally think that Apple’s car efforts are service based; they will not be sold to individual buyers but rather be an autonomous taxi service. You could have different tiers of service from unlimited for say 300 a month (just throwing a number out there) to someone looking for 10 uses a month for, maybe something like 50/month. It’s a guess, but I just can’t see them entering the market on the terms of how the car market is currently. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 77
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    entropys said:

Mostly agree although Tesla loses money in every car it sells. It is only profitable through sales of EV credits as offsets to other car manufacturers not yet meeting their EV targets. Once the other manufacturers meet these imposed targets Tesla will quickly be in a world of pain.
    Note: I still don’t believe the Apple Car hoopla.  I just see them using cars as a tech test bed. That said, I think you undersell Tesla’s business model as it is nothing short of genius.

Tesla figured out how to get other car manufactures to pay for them figuring out mass scale car manufacturing. Genius.

yes: the stock is in 2H2 O2 bubble territory and it will pop soon with a big boom IMO.

note: I thought the same of Apple in 2005 and 90% of my shares thinking: 300% in 3 years is too good to be true. Oops. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 77
    1348513485 Posts: 340member
    I suspect that any American factory will be simply final assembly -- much as Foxconn does.   Few cars -- particularly "Amercan" ones are made solely in one country.  For auto makers Mexico, the U.S. and Canada have operated more like the EU with parts flowing freely back and forth over borders.

Even decades ago Cadillac initiated that with one of its now defunct models -- moving it back and forth between the U.S. and Italy.

If its made entirely in the U.S. I doubt I'll be able to afford one.  Or, if I can, be willing to part with that kind of cash.   And, by the time is this car will be available, EV and even self-driving cars will be mainstream.  But, I am glad to see this industry finally moving forward -- it's been stalled for the last 4 years.   Biden will support the infrastructure (read charging stations) needed to support it and help it grow.

For myself, I'm tired of buying gasoline.  And, as an older person living in the auto dependent suburbs and planning on getting even older, a self driving car could be a panacea.  I fear having an accident and losing my license -- my entire lifestyle would change.   But a self-driving car could make a huge difference.
    Probably right on most counts, especially self driving for seniors. I also got tired of buying gas ten years ago so we bought a Prius. Then two plug-in Prii, and now a hybrid Camry, as my worn out hips demanded more room. I like the freedom of the hybrids rather than pure EV. 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac