Arlo wired video doorbell now supports Apple HomeKit

Posted:
in General Discussion
Arlo has quietly updated its wired video doorbell to fully support Apple's HomeKit platform including chiming on HomePod.

Arlo Video Doorbell
Arlo Video Doorbell

The Arlo wired doorbell joins the several other Arlo cameras that support HomeKit and is Arlo's first doorbell to support the platform. Currently, there are seven different Arlo cameras that are compatible with HomeKit.

Arlo's HomeKit-capable cameras

• Arlo Ultra

• Essentials Video Wired Doorbell

• Arlo Pro 3

• Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera

• Arlo Pro 2

• Arlo Pro

• Arlo Baby Camera

While the Arlo Essentials Video Doorbell Wired can connect directly to Wi-Fi, to use HomeKit you must connect the device to one of Arlo's compatible SmartHubs.

Arlo SmartHub models and firmware required for HomeKit compatibility

• VMB5000: 1.14.0.9_137_8e45094

• VMB4540: 1.15.0.2_371_f7780e1

• VMB4500: 1.14.0.2_2777

• VMB4000: 1.14.0.2_2776
When connected to HomeKit, the Arlo Video Doorbell shows in the Home app with your other HomeKit accessories. Its motion sensor can trigger any HomeKit scenes or accessories such as turning on your porch lights when someone approaches at night.

The video feed can also be viewed on Apple TV. When someone presses the doorbell, it can be configured to chime on any HomePods in your home.

In our review of the Arlo Video Doorbell we were very impressed but longed for HomeKit support.

The wired Arlo Video Doorbell is available on Amazon for $117. Arlo also offers a wire-free version of its video doorbell. The wire-free version does not currently support HomeKit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Cool. One down, one to go.
    Please add HK support to the Wire-free model and I will happily replace my Ring.
    Wgkruegermobirdwatto_cobraxyzzy01
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Arlo Pro does not work on Homekit....i have 8 camera on it and subscribtions but they cant help me add to homekit
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Arlo Pro does not work on Homekit....i have 8 camera on it and subscribtions but they cant help me add to homekit
    If you also have a compatible hub as spelled out here and in the support document, then you should take it up with Arlo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

a compatible hub...

Oh right. Almost forgot about hubs. 

Eff that. Waiting for that tech that makes it possible to not have hubs; whatever that crap is that the HomePod mini has.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    cornchip said:

a compatible hub...

Oh right. Almost forgot about hubs. 

Eff that. Waiting for that tech that makes it possible to not have hubs; whatever that crap is that the HomePod mini has.

OK. Don't appreciate any of the features available right now, because there's a hub. Just wait for the mythical perfect product. It'll be here next year.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19

Much awaited and more so much needed integral  part of the Arlo-Homekit union! Thank you for bringing the good news! This is music to the ears of those contacting Arlo weekly to add homekit support to the Arlo video doorbell! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    cornchip said:
    Thread would not replace this hub, nor the one from Eufy. Thread is low speed data and would not be fast enough for high quality video. These hubs are not like Zigbee/Zwave hubs, but video aggregators.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    This is nice, just got to wait for the price to come down to more affordable levels, say £50 or so
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ionicle said:
    This is nice, just got to wait for the price to come down to more affordable levels, say £50 or so

Really?! That's about $68.00 Keep waiting. Maybe you'll find a used one someday.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mike1 said:
    Please add HK support to the Wire-free model and I will happily replace my Ring.
    I thought HomeKit didn’t support wireless cameras. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I am not in the Arlo eco system.  How does HK secure video relate to this and do you still need a subscription?  Subscription based services are off the table for me 

edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Wgkrueger said:
    mike1 said:

All the other Arlo cameras with HomeKit support are wireless.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    mike1 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    mike1 said:

This is a bit of a gray area. Technically, HomeKit does not support wireless cameras. Arlo gets around this with the hub. Technically the cameras themselves don't support HomeKit but the hub does. The reason is HomeKit requires devices to be very responsive and is frequently checking in on them. This will eat through the battery on a wire-free camera. To make it work, HomeKit continues to check in with the base which is plugged into the wall and whenever it does need to take the cameras live, then it connects to the camera for the request. As this is already going through the hub, it is possible Arlo enables HomeKit for the wire-free version but there may be different demands on doorbells versus cameras that may prevent it.
    mike1watto_cobraxyzzy01
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mike1 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    mike1 said:

This is a bit of a gray area. Technically, HomeKit does not support wireless cameras. Arlo gets around this with the hub. Technically the cameras themselves don't support HomeKit but the hub does. The reason is HomeKit requires devices to be very responsive and is frequently checking in on them. This will eat through the battery on a wire-free camera. To make it work, HomeKit continues to check in with the base which is plugged into the wall and whenever it does need to take the cameras live, then it connects to the camera for the request. As this is already going through the hub, it is possible Arlo enables HomeKit for the wire-free version but there may be different demands on doorbells versus cameras that may prevent it.
    Thanks for that info. I'm perfectly fine with going through the hub. However, there must also be something in the camera's hardware/firmware that allows HK support even with a hub.Otherwise, the older camera that I have would also be HomeKit compatible.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    chadbag said:
    I am not in the Arlo eco system.  How does HK secure video relate to this and do you still need a subscription?  Subscription based services are off the table for me 

My sentiment exactly, need to know that it is HK Secure Video compatible and that no subscription is needed before I’d even consider it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Kuyangkoh said:
    If you also have a compatible hub as spelled out here and in the support document, then you should take it up with Arlo.
    Yes Sir, believed me I have contacted them back and forth for a month, they sent me different firmware but they cant get it to work. Yes I have compatible hub. They sent me instructions to do this and that. I finally give up and used Arlo apps instead. I am also a paid subscriber. I like their systems but NO Homekit.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Yes Sir, believed me I have contacted them back and forth for a month, they sent me different firmware but they cant get it to work. Yes I have compatible hub. They sent me instructions to do this and that. I finally give up and used Arlo apps instead. I am also a paid subscriber. I like their systems but NO Homekit.
    I think the cameras themselves have to be hooked up to power, and not just operating on their own batteries. Turns out plugging them into compatible 3rd party solar panels will check that box. 

Also, they will provide live feed to HomeKit, but don’t record to HomeKit video in iCloud. You still need Arlo to handle recordings for their cameras. I don’t know about the doorbell in this regard. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Just wanted to let you know that I initially had issues and then a few days later it literally just showed up in HomeKit. Someone pressed the doorbell and I got an alert and realized it was finally there. Nothing specific I did. I know others were having the issue but they seem to have been perhaps resolved?
  • Reply 19 of 19

cg27 said:
    chadbag said:

My sentiment exactly, need to know that it is HK Secure Video compatible and that no subscription is needed before I’d even consider it.

Assuming you asked the second part here, this doesn't of course have HSV but you do have other options. You can record locally to the hub WITHOUT a subscription. You absolutely don't need a subscription for this though you do get extra features HomeKit doesn't offer if you would choose to subscribe.
    What I love about this is that I get all the benefits of HomeKit without having to use one of my HSV slots. You only can have 5 HSV cameras in your home and this way I got the chime on my HomePod, I got the ring alerts on my phone through HomeKit, I get motion sensing for my lights, but I can record locally for free to the base station or to the cloud with an Arlo subscription. This is very much the best of both worlds for me right now. I understand where the need of HSV comes from though, absolutely.