Apple extends existing Apple TV+ free trials for a second time

Posted:
in General Discussion
The one-year free trial of Apple TV+ has been extended again, this time from February to July.

Apple TV+ free trials extended again
Apple TV+ free trials extended again


Apple TV+ launched on Nov. 1, 2019, which means that those who were there for day one of the free trial would have started paying in November 2020. Apple then extended the free trial for eligible users to February 2021 to ensure they would stick around for season 2 content.

Apple has pushed the free trial back a second time, though this time there doesn't appear to be a direct reason. Season two of popular shows like "Dickinson" and "Servant" have already begun airing and season two of "For All Mankind" will air in February. Apple may have a few more shows to air before July, or perhaps a new season or movie to air in August to entice customers to stay.

This means that those who started the free trial between November 2019 and June 2020 will receive extra months -- up to five -- free. According to 9to5Mac, anyone who signed up for the service prior to January 2021 will receive $4.99 in store credit through June.

Those paying annual rates will have five months added to the back-end, and those paying monthly rates will have that amount refunded as store credit to the on-file billing method. Apple One subscribers who had accounts prior to January will also be refunded for each month through July.

Apple TV+ is available to watch across all Apple platforms, on the web, and via some smart TV brands. The service costs $4.99 per month or $50 per year. Apple TV+ is also bundled with every tier of Apple One.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    Haha. Was just about to cancel. I guess I’ll keep it for now, but I’m not watching anything on it.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 3,116member
    Yeah I was about to cancel too, it’s too barren to pay for.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Thanks Apple! I’ve been slacking I need to finish their library of content. 
  • Reply 4 of 29
    this is awesome! there are a number of good shows on tv+ now, but not enough for me to consider subscribing after the free access promotion. hopefully, the extension bides apple some time to stock on the content and give me more confidence in staying on as a subscriber. 
  • Reply 5 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,472member
    litoloop said:
    this is awesome! there are a number of good shows on tv+ now, but not enough for me to consider subscribing after the free access promotion. hopefully, the extension bides apple some time to stock on the content and give me more confidence in staying on as a subscriber. 
    If you think Apple TV+ will eventually be like Netflix or Amazon Prime with tens of thousands of  movies you are mistaken. Apple TV+ will remain a provider of Apple original content. And if you think $4.99/mo is too much for what you get you need to reconsider. A single Starbucks drink can cost you that much. Apple TV+ provides high quality content, not the drivel of 1950s SciFi movies you get on Amazon. And once you get past the good stuff on Netflix it’s hard to justify $13.99/mo (three times more than Apple TV+). 
    JaiOh81ronn
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    dkwiseguyneoncat
  • Reply 7 of 29
    fred1fred1 Posts: 834member
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    neoncatJazzMonkey
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 29
    fred1fred1 Posts: 834member
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 8,760member
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    You'd be right, except what JazzMonkey said wasn't an opinion, it was a troll.  Stupid trolling should not be respected.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 11 of 29
    fred1fred1 Posts: 834member
    crowley said:
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    You'd be right, except what JazzMonkey said wasn't an opinion, it was a troll.  Stupid trolling should not be respected.
    And just how do you know this?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 29
    AlgerAlger Posts: 29member
    fred1 said:
    crowley said:
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    You'd be right, except what JazzMonkey said wasn't an opinion, it was a troll.  Stupid trolling should not be respected.
    And just how do you know this?
    Saying something that's free is "not worth it" is the very definition of trolling.  ATV+ has substantial content, which not everyone may think is substantial (or good) _enough_, but plenty of people do.  The fact that it's free completely negates the statement of the content not being "worth it".  By definition, it has no monetary value, so the only "worth" would be to those investing their _time_, and that's a completely subjective valuation. Troll city.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 13 of 29
    fred1fred1 Posts: 834member
    Alger said:
    fred1 said:
    crowley said:
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    You'd be right, except what JazzMonkey said wasn't an opinion, it was a troll.  Stupid trolling should not be respected.
    And just how do you know this?
    Saying something that's free is "not worth it" is the very definition of trolling.  ATV+ has substantial content, which not everyone may think is substantial (or good) _enough_, but plenty of people do.  The fact that it's free completely negates the statement of the content not being "worth it".  By definition, it has no monetary value, so the only "worth" would be to those investing their _time_, and that's a completely subjective valuation. Troll city.
    Yes, if you take it literally.  It can also be used as an expression. I don’t have any more interest in watching ATV+ after what I’ve seen, even if I could for free, but I may have said it differently. It’s still an opinion.  
    And here we are interpreting what someone else wrote. Oh, the ironies of life!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Definitely NOT worth it - i completely agree ;)

    Haven't looked at ATV+ and I am NOT going to even though i can get it for free for a year. I refuse to support Apple's monopolistic screwing of competitors in the market - no matter how great the content might be..
    JazzMonkey
  • Reply 15 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 10,299member
    I have been enjoying it -- I particularly enjoyed the first season of "See", Greyhound, and also the series on Tiny World.

    And, the physical Apple TV opened up both Apple Fitness and videos on Apple Music -- I switch back and forth between them while exercising at home.

    Apple TV and TV+ have been good investments for me.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 563member
    My subscription still says it renews February 1. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Rather than extend the free period, Apple should just announce that everyone will get Apple TV for free as long as they make at least one qualified purchase every year. That would be a nice pot sweetener for anyone considering a new Mac, iPhone or Air Pods Pro.
    fred1
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Even when its free it’s not worth it.
    Oh no no! Don’t post a negative comment about Apple TV+ here! I made that mistake once and was subjected to an unbelievable amount of criticism and insults. Don’t touch the sacred cow!
    Lame negative comments unsupported by any justification for the position deserve whatever negative feedback they get.

    There are several great series and a couple good movies. I don’t know if we’ll pay for it, but certainly disagree that it’s a waste at free. We’ve watched See, Morning Show, For All Mankind, Defending Jacob, Truth be Told and now finishing Tehran.  All are worth the time spent.  Also enjoyed The Banker and Grayhound on the film side.
    Does that include your response to why I said. It’s negative and unsupported by any justification. Just curious . . .
    My point, since you also seemed to miss it, is that people should be free to express their opinions here without being subject to character assassination and rude remarks.  Since they’re opinions, they don’t need evidence, proof, justification or any other reason for being. You like what Apple TV+ offers, JazzMonkey and I don’t. None of us is right or wrong, correct or incorrect, justified or unjustified. 
    Wants to an express an opinion. 
    Doesn’t want folk to express an opinion on his opinion. 

    Got it. 
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

    I have been enjoying it -- I particularly enjoyed the first season of "See", Greyhound, and also the series on Tiny World.

    And, the physical Apple TV opened up both Apple Fitness and videos on Apple Music -- I switch back and forth between them while exercising at home.

    Apple TV and TV+ have been good investments for me.
    Fitness+ is great, but I would like to control the volume of the music and use my own playlist. 

    The problem is that the instructors keep referring to the music.  
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

    dkwiseguy said:
    Definitely NOT worth it - i completely agree ;)

    Haven't looked at ATV+ and I am NOT going to even though i can get it for free for a year. I refuse to support Apple's monopolistic screwing of competitors in the market - no matter how great the content might be..
    Brought to you by Fortune Cookie News and the letters w,h,a,t,e,v, and r
    GeorgeBMac
Sign In or Register to comment.