Apple adds celebrity 'Time to Walk' audio workouts in Apple Fitness+

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

"Walking is the most popular physical activity in the world, and one of the healthiest things we can do for our bodies," said Jay Blahnik, Apple's senior director of Fitness Technologies, in a statement. "A walk can often be more than just exercise: It can help clear the mind, solve a problem, or welcome a new perspective."

Ummm?   One of the healthiest?

No, I would call it the bare minimum.
    Too often health professionals -- even fitness gurus -- take healthy lifestyles down to the lowest common denominator, catering to what people want to hear or are willing to do rather than what they need to hear and need to do.

The National Institute on Aging recommends:
    --  Aerobic exercise that raises the heart rate (they do not set a maximum to how high it should go)
    --  Strength Training
    --  Flexibility Training
    --  Balance (core) Training

A walk in the park is, admittedly, better than nothing.   But barely.

Fortunately though, Apple Fitness+ encourages and enables all of that.  And a person, especially an older person, needs to do all of that to stay functional for as long as possible.
    Walking is perfectly fine aerobic exercise. You are acting like all walking is some sort of causal stroll. If you pick up your pace you can absolutely elevate your heart rate up. 

People being elitists about health and fitness is what turns so many people away from it. 

No,not elitist.   Certainly not.   Just realistic.  
    I was referring to the health care industry portraying walking as the goal rather than the minimum.  And, as I mentioned, it's not only just getting (or not getting) the heart rate up but that we need to more -- specifically the stuff I mentioned in the post you're replying to.
    Your attempts to spin and walk back what you said are pretty funny. 

Rayz2016 nailed it. 
  • Reply 22 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

"Walking is the most popular physical activity in the world, and one of the healthiest things we can do for our bodies," said Jay Blahnik, Apple's senior director of Fitness Technologies, in a statement. "A walk can often be more than just exercise: It can help clear the mind, solve a problem, or welcome a new perspective."

Too often health professionals -- even fitness gurus -- take healthy lifestyles down to the lowest common denominator, catering to what people want to hear or are willing to do rather than what they need to hear and need to do.

--  Aerobic exercise that raises the heart rate (they do not set a maximum to how high it should go)
    --  Strength Training
    --  Flexibility Training

Fortunately though, Apple Fitness+ encourages and enables all of that.  And a person, especially an older person, needs to do all of that to stay functional for as long as possible.
    Walking is perfectly fine aerobic exercise. You are acting like all walking is some sort of causal stroll. If you pick up your pace you can absolutely elevate your heart rate up. 

People being elitists about health and fitness is what turns so many people away from it. 
    Walking is a fine activity, but for most people it is not exercise. There's a difference between physical activity and exercise. NPR just had a Harvard exercise researcher on air explaining the difference. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/20/958823528/busting-myths-about-exercise

Can you lose fat by walking? Sure, if the calories you expend walking are greater than the calories you take in from eating. Will you get the same benefits of actual exercise, such as staving off frailty & sarcopenia, improving strength and functionality, solid cardio vascular gains, etc? Unfortunately, no.  
  • Reply 23 of 25

--  Strength Training
    --  Flexibility Training

I was referring to the health care industry portraying walking as the goal rather than the minimum.  And, as I mentioned, it's not only just getting (or not getting) the heart rate up but that we need to more -- specifically the stuff I mentioned in the post you're replying to.
    George may be in the deep end when it comes to China, but he's absolutely correct on physical activity. Walking is the absolute bare minimum. You should definitely do it, but you will need more to stay functional later in life.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 25

Rayz2016 said:

Any exercise is good exercise.   There is no such thing as a bad walk. 
    Walking is the same as any exercise. The trick is effort and regularity, and it’s doable for folk who have spinal problems. 

Certainly wouldn’t call it the bare minimum. 
    Darts is the bare minimum. 
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Walking is only physical activity for most people, not exercise, and is the bare minimum. It won't help fight muscle entropy (which we need to do to avoid frailty), and it won't build new strength. It will help your heart if you have no experience walking, but soon you'll reach homeostasis with your walks. The body is designed to adapt & recover to increased stressors (micro tear muscle damage experienced from exercise), and you can only improve so much with the stress of walking, which is minimal. We evolved to be doing a lot more, thus we need to do more. 

But don't take our word for it. Terry Gross interviews a Harvard exercise science researcher on this and more topics:

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/20/958823528/busting-myths-about-exercise

...she specifically asks about just walking around and he explains the difference between activity and exercise and why it matters to your body. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

--  Strength Training
    --  Flexibility Training

Your attempts to spin and walk back what you said are pretty funny. 

Rayz2016 nailed it. 

LOL...  There was no walkback here.   Tell where exactly did I walk back:

--  Strength Training
    --  Flexibility Training

Fortunately though, Apple Fitness+ encourages and enables all of that.  And a person, especially an older person, needs to do all of that to stay functional for as long as possible."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was true when I said it.  It's still true.  And I never contradicted it.