More supposed evidence of rumored next-generation Apple TV remote surfaces

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A report on Monday adds to rumors claiming Apple intends to release a new Apple TV remote when it debuts an expected next-generation set-top streaming device.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, 9to5Mac claims Apple is working on a revamped Apple TV remote control referred to internally as "B519." The designation compares to the "B439" identifier given to the current Siri Remote.

Today's report offers nothing beyond Apple's supposed codename, but it does build on rumors regarding a redesigned remote that could launch alongside a refreshed Apple TV this year.

Last week, code discovered in the latest tvOS 14.5 beta release removes mention of Apple's "Siri Remote" and replaces the text string with "Apple TV Remote." References to the accessory have been updated across Apple's operating system.

Bloomberg first delivered word of a new remote control in a report last year. According to sources familiar with Apple's plans, the new device will be redesigned and include fresh functions like a location system similar to Find My on iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    The current AppleTV Remote is arguably the worst design they ever came up with. At least with the hockey puck mouse you could feel for the wire. In a dark room, if you are lucky enough to even find the remote you have a very low chance of doing what you were hoping to do. I have turned captions on by accident more times than I have hit the button I wanted the first time.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonsdw2001
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    mystigo said:
    The current AppleTV Remote is arguably the worst design they ever came up with. At least with the hockey puck mouse you could feel for the wire. In a dark room, if you are lucky enough to even find the remote you have a very low chance of doing what you were hoping to do. I have turned captions on by accident more times than I have hit the button I wanted the first time.
    And Apple knew it.  And still, after 5 1/2 years, we're still suffering with the crappy remote that everyone learns to hate.

The new one better have simple buttons to fast forward/rewind and a frigging MUTE BUTTON.  
    gregoriusmbala1234muthuk_vanalingamapplguysuperklotonwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 27
    If true, we going to miss the current remote. It’s by far the best remote we have ever used. It’s also the only remote we use to control our Apple TV, TV, and audio system. But, it’s Apple so I’m sure they will find a way to make it even better.
    lolliverlkruppWgkrueger
  • Reply 4 of 27
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    mystigo said:
    And Apple knew it.  And still, after 5 1/2 years, we're still suffering with the crappy remote that everyone learns to hate.

The new one better have simple buttons to fast forward/rewind and a frigging MUTE BUTTON.  
    Thank you! The friggin mute button should have been there all along. How I long for one whenever I’m forced to listen to a Big Pharma or Jake from SFarm commercial 6 times in a row. Ugh!

Also, can we maybe get wireless charging while we’re at it?
    gregoriusmsuperklotonwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I've not had much trouble with my Apple Remote (mine is the one with the white ring around the menu button), but I agree it is not a great design -- and I am TOTALLY on board with those who want a true MUTE button.
    lolliversuperkloton
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If true, we going to miss the current remote. It’s by far the best remote we have ever used. It’s also the only remote we use to control our Apple TV, TV, and audio system. But, it’s Apple so I’m sure they will find a way to make it even better.
    I have no trouble working out which way is up without looking because both halves of the control feel completely different. But I think it needs to be a little more substantial.  
  • Reply 7 of 27
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    mystigo said:
    The current AppleTV Remote is arguably the worst design they ever came up with.
    I feel that every Apple mouse ever made is the worst design Apple ever came up with. 
    firelock
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Apple TV remote is the worst remote i have ever used.  Who designed it?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 27
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    mystigo said:
    Yes, it's the worse.  By far.  For something that you have to Pick Up and Put Down, over and over and touch and touch.

I mean you can't barely even touch the thing!  And of course there's the in the couch or just if you sit on the damn thing there goes your show, buttons start getting pressed etc...

I used to disagree, I guess I had a little more "touch" but after the long haul YEP... I whole heartedly agree.

I mean one thing tho, don't get me wrong the thing is DOPE, but it's TOO DAMN TOUCHY!!

If you HELD the thing in your hand the whole time? then yeah great invention, but a got news for Apple:  We actually put the remore down for a spell...

Laters...
  • Reply 10 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hope they ditch touch completely.  A simple switch out of touch for a four directional buttons in a + formation would solve 99% of my issues with the remote.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My Apple TV is simply not as convenient or easy to use as the much older remote to my DVD.
    The biggest missing feature(s) is the fast forward/back buttons as well as chapter skip ahead/back.
    ....  Yeh you can use the slider.  But that's awkward and inaccurate.

But that would be quite easy to remedy by adding those buttons to remote on the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I’m on my 3rd one. We have hard floors and the glass shatters even from a relatively low drop. I love Apple but a slightly larger remote with more durability will be a huge improvement.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Like everything else it’s a matter of adapting rather than raging. I have become perfectly comfortable using the current remote. i also adapted to the hockey puck mouse the same way. And like others here I have no problem determining the top from the bottom in a darkened room. It has become second nature to me. In addition I have adapted and fallen in love with the Magic Mouse’s swiping functions. When I use a traditional mouse the genius of the Magic Mouse shines through.
    Wgkrueger
  • Reply 14 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’m on my 3rd one. We have hard floors and the glass shatters even from a relatively low drop. I love Apple but a slightly larger remote with more durability will be a huge improvement.
    You know, just like phones, Amazon has a number of Siri Remote protective cases. I bought one with a wrist strap included. I’m sincerely skeptical about your claim.
    Wgkrueger
  • Reply 15 of 27
    If the new remote works with the older Apple TVs you have nothing to worry about...  there will be a glut of the current style remotes on the second hand markets.
  • Reply 16 of 27

mystigo said:
    The current AppleTV Remote is arguably the worst design they ever came up with.
    I feel that every Apple mouse ever made is the worst design Apple ever came up with. 
    I don't know about every apple mouse...  for example I liked the original ADB mouse.  However, in my mind the hockey puck mouse was the worst design by Apple, from a functional perspective.  I wonder if Ives designed that one...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    I use my TV remote 95% of the time and my iPhone the other times when my TV remote doesn't do what I need.
    Can't remember the last time I took the included remote out of the drawer.
  • Reply 18 of 27

lkrupp said:
    Like everything else it’s a matter of adapting rather than raging. I have become perfectly comfortable using the current remote. i also adapted to the hockey puck mouse the same way. And like others here I have no problem determining the top from the bottom in a darkened room. It has become second nature to me. In addition I have adapted and fallen in love with the Magic Mouse’s swiping functions. When I use a traditional mouse the genius of the Magic Mouse shines through.
    Raging?

A bit of an overstatement, don't you think?  Expressing dislike for something is not "raging".

Like you, I have become quite comfortable with the current remote, but that does not mean I cannot see how deficient it is.

Unlike you, I was never able to adapt to the hockey puck mouse.  Also, when I use a traditional mouse the stupidity of the Magic Mouse is all too clear.

Am I raging?  No.  Am I a Luddite?  Perhaps.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 27
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    How would a Mute button improve upon the Pause/Play button?

When I need to mute it is b/c I need to attend to something. So I would want to stop playback at the same time.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    omasou said:
    How would a Mute button improve upon the Pause/Play button?

When I need to mute it is b/c I need to attend to something. So I would want to stop playback at the same time.
    I’d say the mute button was designed to mute the sound during playback. Commercials in YouTube and Amazon (and others but I pay to remove those). Overly loud music and sound effects in movies. There’s many times I want the show to keep playing without sound.