The frontrunners for next Apple CEO: Speculating on Tim Cook's successor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I think Federighi would be great. He'd put the products and engineering first as Jobs did, not profit like Cook (and likely any operations guy) does. He has charisma, he's funny, he is genuinely passionate about the products, he is obviously a very smart guy. It'd be great to have someone at the top who actually uses all the products the company produces, someone who is hands on in the engineering as Jobs was - someone who understands the limitations, the usability, the bugs and the functionality too. Someone who is a "power user" who understands the needs of those who need more than Pages and two USB C ports. He is much more Jobsian than Cook ever could be.
    cg27danoxBeatsbloggerblog
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mobird said:
    Wow!! How was she overlooked in this article?

lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien

She was considered, but not included. She has no real technical chops, and seems like she'd be below our "third tier." She's 55 at present, in a decade, she'll be 65.
    edited April 2021 radarthekatBeats
  • Reply 23 of 61
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    As stock holder, I would vote for Craig.
    elijahgbloggerblog
  • Reply 24 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Bring back Scott Forstall!

(yeah, I know, no longer an option).
    k2kw
  • Reply 25 of 61
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Yeah, serious oversight on the part of AI to leave her off the list of potential candies. 
  • Reply 26 of 61
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Yeah, serious oversight on the part of AI to leave her off the list of potential candies. 
    Read up.

"She was considered, but not included. She has no real technical chops, and seems like she'd be below our "third tier." She's 55 at present, in a decade, she'll be 65."
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 61
    entropys said:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
    Beats
  • Reply 28 of 61
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    Why is there a photo of Laureen Powell-Jobs at the start of the article when she is not mentioned in the article (or did I miss it)?

There is also a picture of Steve Jobs......
  • Reply 29 of 61
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

"She was considered, but not included. She has no real technical chops, and seems like she'd be below our "third tier." She's 55 at present, in a decade, she'll be 65."
    I read it when I posted. It's an opinion piece right? I have a different opinion. 
  • Reply 30 of 61
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

I read it when I posted. It's an opinion piece right? I have a different opinion. 
    Sure! You're welcome to think it was an oversight -- but the facts are, it wasn't. She was, in fact, considered.
    elijahg
  • Reply 31 of 61
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    elijahg said:
    I think Federighi would be great. He'd put the products and engineering first as Jobs did, not profit like Cook (and likely any operations guy) does. He has charisma, he's funny, he is genuinely passionate about the products, he is obviously a very smart guy. It'd be great to have someone at the top who actually uses all the products the company produces, someone who is hands on in the engineering as Jobs was - someone who understands the limitations, the usability, the bugs and the functionality too. Someone who is a "power user" who understands the needs of those who need more than Pages and two USB C ports. He is much more Jobsian than Cook ever could be.
    This sums up Federighi perfectly and why he should be the next CEO.  If the board picks a non-engineer I’ll sell my stock before it tanks and will invest in other companies such as MSFT, GOOG, AMZN founded and still run by engineers.
    elijahgBeats
  • Reply 32 of 61
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

Sure! You're welcome to think it was an oversight -- but the facts are, it wasn't. She was, in fact, considered.

This is a semantic thing.

Oversight: an inadvertent omission or error. 

I'm not saying the error was not considering her, I'm saying leaving her off the list is the error. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 33 of 61
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

I'm not saying the error was not considering her, I'm saying leaving her off the list is the error. 
    What would she possibly bring to the CEO role that the others couldn’t?  No technical chops sums it up perfectly.
    elijahgBeats
  • Reply 34 of 61
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Where can I place an enormous wager that it'll be anyone other than Jackson or Srouji?  I'll put up $100,000 if someone want to lay $1000 on one of those 2.  In other words, that ain't happening.  

I did get a chuckle out of "Ternus's exact age is unknown."  Very mysterious.  Perhaps he's not of this Earth.
    I wouldn't be so sure that Cook wouldn't push Jackson for his replacement, if for little more than to ensure his "progressive" agenda continues.
    edited April 2021 Beats
  • Reply 35 of 61
    cg27 said:
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

What would she possibly bring to the CEO role that the others couldn’t?  No technical chops sums it up perfectly.
    Let’s first start with the fact that everyone is speculating at this point. When people say “no technical chops” what are they basing that on? She certainly doesn’t have a formal education in technology but neither did Steve and he certain had the technical acumen to do the job. So when people are saying she doesn’t technical acumen they are just kinda guessing. I’d suspect that she isn’t in the weeds on technology but I’m also just kinda guessing. As far as what she brings? The CEO position is and will always be a leadership job first and foremost. Apple is a massive organization, more like several massive organizations, and the CEO can’t be in the details for all of those things. It’s about having the right people leading each organization. Steve had the analogy that his job was managing the Beatles, he had to get all the great parts working together. I’m guessing she could do it and that gets her a spot on the list. 

If I were betting on it, my money would be on Craig or Jeff.... I’d also say that Sabih Khan should be on the list as Jeff is more or less as old as Tim and likely wouldn’t be around as CEO for long. Sabih is heir apparent to Jeff which should kind of put him in the running by default. 
  • Reply 36 of 61
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    DOESN'T MATTER WHO BUT IT CANNOT BE ANYONE FROM SALES, FINANCE, CONTENT OR LEGAL.......
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 37 of 61
    I expect Apple to promote from within. But a good outsider will be T-Mobile’s ex ceo John Legere. 
    The two outsiders they had in retail were terrible......
  • Reply 38 of 61
    entropys said:

To late but it has to be a Technocrat, Software, Design, Engineering, and it has to be from within.....
  • Reply 39 of 61

lmasanti said:
    With all due respect to the great work of Greg "Joz" Joswiak, —almost— everytime a ‘marketing guy’ took the role of CEO the company went thru the toilet!
    See Apple and Sculley… Microsoft and Ballmer… Sun and…

The ‘Second Coming’ of Johny Ive would start Apple 3!
    Sales or Marketing dude would be a bad, puts on the third tier with Dell and HP....
  • Reply 40 of 61

cg27 said:
    lpaaaapl said:
    Deirdre O’Brien
    Read up.

Let’s first start with the fact that everyone is speculating at this point. When people say “no technical chops” what are they basing that on? She certainly doesn’t have a formal education in technology but neither did Steve and he certain had the technical acumen to do the job. So when people are saying she doesn’t technical acumen they are just kinda guessing. I’d suspect that she isn’t in the weeds on technology but I’m also just kinda guessing. As far as what she brings? The CEO position is and will always be a leadership job first and foremost. Apple is a massive organization, more like several massive organizations, and the CEO can’t be in the details for all of those things. It’s about having the right people leading each organization. Steve had the analogy that his job was managing the Beatles, he had to get all the great parts working together. I’m guessing she could do it and that gets her a spot on the list. 

If I were betting on it, my money would be on Craig or Jeff.... I’d also say that Sabih Khan should be on the list as Jeff is more or less as old as Tim and likely wouldn’t be around as CEO for long. Sabih is heir apparent to Jeff which should kind of put him in the running by default. 

She should have gotten the retail job or someone else within Apple, instead of those two British duds, but that’s it....
    edited April 2021