Whale documentary 'Fathom' surfaces on Apple TV+ on June 25

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2021
Two scientist embark on a quest to unravel the mystery of why whales sing on new Apple TV+ documentary "Fathom."

'Fathom' is coming to Apple TV+
'Fathom' is coming to Apple TV+

The latest Apple TV+ animal documentary is about humpback whale songs and social communication. It joins the increasing number of nature shows already on the platform on June 25.

"Fathom" follows Dr. Ellen Garland and Dr. Michelle Fournet as they embark on parallel research journeys on opposite sides of the globe. They seek to better understand whale culture and communication through the scientific process.

While the story of the scientists focuses on whale songs, the documentary takes a greater look at the scientific method and the universal human need to seek answers about the world around us.

The documentary is produced by Sandbox Films, Impact Partners, Walking upstream Pictures, Back Allie Entertainment and Hidden Candy. Executive producers include Emmy Award winner Andrea Meditch and Greg Boustead of Apple's "Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds."

Apple TV+ is a subscription TV service that costs $4.99 per month. It is also available in every tier of the Apple One bundle.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Personally I don't think whale songs are songs but an extended string of Cetacean obscenities about all the junk that gets tossed into the ocean.
    Beatsbestkeptsecretlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    “Whale documentary…surfaces.”

I see what you did there, AI.   Well done.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator

When you have a submariner on staff, there are many choices.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    looplessloopless Posts: 324member
    A worthy documentary , I am sure. Sort of plays to the perceived demographic of the Apple eco system.
    But then there can be no suprise to anyone as to the reasons why Disney+ with , say, the "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" is easily beating Apple TV+ in subscriber numbers...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    loopless said:
    A worthy documentary , I am sure. Sort of plays to the perceived demographic of the Apple eco system.
    But then there can be no suprise to anyone as to the reasons why Disney+ with , say, the "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" is easily beating Apple TV+ in subscriber numbers...
    This logic doesn't track.  Disney+ has an entire channel devoted to nothing but nature programming: National Geographic. 
    Apple's subscriber numbers trail Disney+ because D+ has more content.  More specifically, D+ has "Tent Pole" content like the MCU and Star Wars Universe.  Not to mention their vault of Disney and Pixar properties.  Apple has no established franchises to draw viewers.  It's all from scratch.

Btw, Disney plays to the exact same perceived demographic... even more so than Apple.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member

When you have a submariner on staff, there are many choices.

Everyone loves whale sounds. When I was in the Navy I noticed from inside the sonar control room that someone was keying the underwater telephone (UQC). The only other transceiver was on the bridge so I went out to the bridge to see what was up. None other than the CO was whistling into the underwater telephone microphone because whales had been spotted not too far from the ship. I just had to laugh. The fact that voice signals didn't actually get transmitted into the water as-is from the underwater telephone wasn't worth mentioning. Needless to say, the whales did not respond in any way.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    loopless said:
    Care to tell us why you are so eager to declare Apple’s efforts a failure?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    lkrupp said:

Care to tell us why you are so eager to declare Apple’s efforts a failure?
    Please take no offense but American astronauts shooting unarmed Russian Cosmonauts with M15s on the Moon is not what I would call inspired Sci-Fi.