Initial engraved AirTag preorders sold out in minutes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Apple's estimated shipping dates for an engraved four-pack AirTag began slipping within five minutes of pre-orders being opened.

The new Apple AirTag
Apple AirTag

The new AirTag appears to have exceeded Apple's expectations, with engraved and non-engraved versions soon slipping back from their original April 30 delivery date. The new order dates are changing fast enough that users are reporting inconsistent results across the US online Apple Store, as well as overseas.

All users originally saw a delivery date of April 30. Within five minutes, though, the estimate was changing. Many users began seeing a quoted "7-10 business days," which could still theoretically mean arriving by April 30.

However, others at the same time were seeing more specific estimates, chiefly "May 10." The results are the same in other countries, with users in Japan currently being notified of delivery from May 16 to May 23.

Apple's new AirTag is selling out
Apple's new AirTag is selling out

Apple has not revealed how many AirTags it produced in advance, nor detailed exactly how the engraving adds to the order process. Anecdotally, however, it appears that the most popular items are the four-pack, and engraved.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Order was confirmed for the engraved 4 pack in UK at 13:11, delivery is 5-7 business days (May 4-6th).
    Both engraved and non-engraved slipped to those dates by 13:05
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Looks like Apple has hit another one out of the park.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Or initial engraving limitation for it’s sudden sellout was a brilliant marketing plan to generate even more interest… but who knows but them. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 30
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    i dont really see these as particularly exciting products to rush to
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MisterKit said:
    Until, of course, Tile gets a judge to order Apple to stop sales because... anti-competitive. /s
    Beatsjony0cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Or initial engraving limitation for it’s sudden sellout was a brilliant marketing plan to generate even more interest… but who knows but them. 
    Oh FFS, this lunacy has been debunked so many times, by using of all things basic logic, but go ahead and keep seeing nutty conspiracies around every corner. :smiley: 
    StrangeDayslkruppBeatsjony0pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Boy, I am a longtime big ol' Apple Fanboy, but my wife and I could not come up with a single reason to order even one during the pandemic. (re: not going anywhere)

edited April 2021 anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I went online @4:59 PDT, and Apple recommended one minute of extra sleep, >you’re ... early<;  placed my order two minutes later, went back to bed;  oh, the wait for this tiny thing, until April 30, will be excruciating!

edited April 2021 Beatsjony0Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I'm waiting on the 3rd party trackers, like chipolo, who have the good sense to put a keyring hole on their tracker and not make it so delicate it needs a protection case. Only Apple would make a key tracker that needs a case!
    Japhey
  • Reply 10 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Ah yes, the “artificially constrain supply in order to sell more” conspiracy. Yeah. That isn’t how it works. Apple is already on top of the industry, anything they announce gets front page coverage on CNN etc...they dont need to artificially limit production to generate interest. Doing so only hampers their ability to sell more thru the channel. Nope. At their scale, their problem is that of actual supply constraint.
    pscooter63williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    If I didn’t go for the engraving, would it have shipped sooner? (I’m looking at the middle of May...)
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I forgot all about the AM launch, did order one (engraved) just now tho. The ETA is end of May or June... that’s some demand. The engraving adds about 3-4 weeks to delivery.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ah yes, the “artificially constrain supply in order to sell more” conspiracy. Yeah. That isn’t how it works. Apple is already on top of the industry, anything they announce gets front page coverage on CNN etc...they dont need to artificially limit production to generate interest. Doing so only hampers their ability to sell more thru the channel. Nope. At their scale, their problem is that of actual supply constraint.
    You forgot to add in the ‘planned obsolescence’ conspiracy theory that’s trotted out every time Apple adds a new feature that the older model doesn’t have or lists a product as no longer supported. Conspiracy theories rule this country.
    dewmeBeatspscooter63williamlondonStrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Although the limit of four characters engraving seems to prohibit placing a phone number on the AirTag, I noticed there were lots of two-digit emojis to choose from so I was able to engrave my 7 digit phone number on mine. The highest two digit emoji is 50 so some phone numbers will be unengravable, however the fact that a phone number has only 7 digits, not 8, means you can still find a way to select some 7-digit phone numbers that contain high digits. There were two ways I could have engraved my number because of this trick. This means people can contact me if they find my AirTag even if I haven't put mine into "Lost Mode."
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Although the limit of four characters engraving seems to prohibit placing a phone number on the AirTag, I noticed there were lots of two-digit emojis to choose from so I was able to engrave my 7 digit phone number on mine. The highest two digit emoji is 50 so some phone numbers will be unengravable, however the fact that a phone number has only 7 digits, not 8, means you can still find a way to select some 7-digit phone numbers that contain high digits. There were two ways I could have engraved my number because of this trick. This means people can contact me if they find my AirTag even if I haven't put mine into "Lost Mode."
    Phone numbers in many parts of the USA are ten digits, with overlay area codes being used to cover higher population areas, or even whole states.

That said, a label maker can make 10-digit phone number labels sized to fit an AirTag. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Looks like a great product, with great design and execution, I want to get some, but I can’t figure out a use case. Who are these for?? The best use case I could come up with for myself was putting these in luggage when traveling, but even that’s a stretch (unless they have a proximity alarm, which I don’t think they do). I do lose my mind sometimes, but I don’t think Apple can help me there. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmeBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Want to annoy a lot of people? Hide one on a train. It will alert everyone that they are being stalked. 
  • Reply 18 of 30
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Someone here (and other places) said these wouldn’t be a big product.

jony0MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    WTHWTH Posts: 26member
    lkrupp said:
    MisterKit said:
    Until, of course, Tile gets a judge to order Apple to stop sales because... anti-competitive. /s
    Tile needs to stop whining and get their own "Find My" enabled tracker out the door.  Apple has made it very clear that AirTags aren't suitable as an anti-theft device.  Tile can own that segment of the market if don't let Chipolo take it from them first.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    4 pack engraved has now slipped to the start of June here in Australia. But non-engraved are still available to ship on the release day. 

I have never had anything I ordered from Apple engraved before. But I ordered a 4 pack of AirTags engraved. The number of products Apple is engraving must have increased several times over with the release of AirTags. 
    watto_cobra