Early benchmarks prove M1 iPad Pros are 50% faster than previous generation

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2021
Apple's new M1-equipped iPad Pro models are up to 50% faster than the previous generation, according to new benchmark results.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The 2021 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro are Apple's first tablets with the M1 chip. Apple has touted the performance benefits of the previous Mac-only chip, claiming that it offers up to 50% faster CPU performance than the A12Z Bionic and up to 40% faster GPU performance.

According to legitimate benchmark results first spotted by MacRumors, Apple's numbers line up with early Geekbench tests.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an M1 chip, for example, has an average single-core score of 1,718 and an average multi-core score of 7,284. The previous generation iPad Pro with an A12Z had an average 1,121 single-core score and 4,656 multi-core score.

For graphics performance, the M1 iPad Pro averaged a Metal score of 20,578. That's up to 71% faster than the A12Z iPad Pros, and actually better than Apple's own estimates.

Those numbers mean that the M1-equipped iPad Pro models are roughly 55% faster than the previous generation. Additionally, they reveal that Apple's M1 iPad Pro models sport virtually identical performance to M1 Mac models released in 2020.

The M1 MacBook Air has an average single-core score of 1,701 and multi-core score of 7,378.

It also appears that the new M1 iPad Pro models are faster than Apple's top-tier 16-inch MacBook Pro. A maxed-out model with an Intel Core i9 processor had an average single-core score of 1,091 and an average multiple-core score of 6,845.

The 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pro models with an M1 chip became available for preorder on April 30. They're expected to arrive on customer doorsteps and in store on May 21.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 531member
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    muthuk_vanalingambala1234williamlondonGeorgeBMacITGUYINSDZeeblerCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 2 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
    edited May 2021 d_2williamlondonGeorgeBMacbyronlBeatsdavenjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 89
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    hmlongco said:
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    What a bizarre way to say it runs a different OS than the Mac.
    doozydozenRayz2016roundaboutnowspock1234jbtuckrwilliamlondonbyronlmike1Beatspscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 89
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    hmlongco said:
    Sounds like you want a Mac.  Just buy a Mac instead.  
    d_2doozydozenRayz2016roundaboutnowspock1234jbtuckruraharawilliamlondonbyronlmike1
  • Reply 5 of 89
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    hmlongco said:
    What a bizarre way of reading a post. S/he clearly knows it’s a different OS. That’s not the problem. The problem is the OS cripples the hardware. 

chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:
    I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system. :neutral: 
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingambala1234jbtuckruraharawilliamlondonGeorgeBMacbyronlh4y3sITGUYINSD
  • Reply 6 of 89
    hmlongco said:
    Should we tell them
    spock1234GeorgeBMach4y3spscooter63corradokidjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 89
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    DAalseth said:

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
    Same here. Two if they run Xcode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 89
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    MplsP said:
    hmlongco said:
    What a bizarre way of reading a post. S/he clearly knows it’s a different OS. That’s not the problem. The problem is the OS cripples the hardware. 

chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:
    I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system. :neutral: 
    Let’s hope they extend iPadOS (whilst not recreating the mistakes of desktop OS’) rather than let it run macOS. Anyone who’s tried to run virtual desktops on an iPad, or tried to use Microsoft Windows with their finger, knows why that’s a terrible idea.
    williamlondonbyronlDAalsethMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 89

I’m curious to know what things iOS isn’t capable of doing for you. Through my experiences, I’m inclined to think that you’re feeling/experiencing these limitations because you haven’t gone all in. I would argue the inconvenience and cumbersome that you’re feeling is because there’s no need for you to push through the struggle. I am very excited to see where they take this interface vision for the iPad. 
    spock1234williamlondonmike1pscooter63dewmejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 89
    mcdave said:
    Let’s hope they extend iPadOS (whilst not recreating the mistakes of desktop OS’) rather than let it run macOS. Anyone who’s tried to run virtual desktops on an iPad, or tried to use Microsoft Windows with their finger, knows why that’s a terrible idea.
    Just thinking out loud here; what would you, or anyone else, think of those virtual desktops being VR desktops. Using your Apple glasses, connected to your iPad, you can easily see as many ‘workspaces’ as you want. Navigating this environment with a mouse is near impossible in this 3-D world. But with your hands being read by the LiDAR on the iPad, you can now completely control the VR world. Sounds like something the M1 was designed to do. 
    spock1234uraharabyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 89
    jbtuckrjbtuckr Posts: 28member

“I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system.”

To be fair, its processor every year until now has just been a glorified smartphone processor

williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 89
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mcdave said:
    Just thinking out loud here; what would you, or anyone else, think of those virtual desktops being VR desktops. Using your Apple glasses, connected to your iPad, you can easily see as many ‘workspaces’ as you want. Navigating this environment with a mouse is near impossible in this 3-D world. But with your hands being read by the LiDAR on the iPad, you can now completely control the VR world. Sounds like something the M1 was designed to do. 
    OMG, that would be so cool.

jcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hmlongco said:

HUH?  
    He didn't say that at all.  

Are you trying to suggest that iPadOS is in anyway comparable to MacOS -- particularly, as he pointed out, when the iPad is in laptop mode?
    I hope not.  Because that would be a ridiculous thing to suggest.
    williamlondonITGUYINSD
  • Reply 14 of 89
    chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:

Actually, you mean:  Buy both:  a laptop for laptop work and a tablet for tablet work.   Then lug both of them around.

It sounds silly -- because it is silly.
    williamlondonITGUYINSD
  • Reply 15 of 89
    mcdave said:
    MplsP said:
    hmlongco said:

chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:

Dual boot via Bootcamp or the equivalent would fix a lot of problems -- not only those that you just mentioned but the deficiencies of both MacOS (no touch screen or pencil support) as well as a hobbled, deficient iPadOS.
    The user would be able to choose whichever best fit his needs.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 89

I’m curious to know what things iOS isn’t capable of doing for you. Through my experiences, I’m inclined to think that you’re feeling/experiencing these limitations because you haven’t gone all in. I would argue the inconvenience and cumbersome that you’re feeling is because there’s no need for you to push through the struggle. I am very excited to see where they take this interface vision for the iPad. 

It is less about CAN it do it then it is about HOW it does it.  

• Reply 17 of 89
    "All dressed up and no place to go"

So, hobbled by iPadOS, where is the M1 iPad going to go?

I don't know.  But I see Macs integrating more into the tablet world while iPads integrate more into the Mac world.
    ....  Only Apple knows how and when it will take place.   They have a lot of options -- except for one:  the status quo -- which is not viable over the long haul.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamcanukstorm
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 89
    thedbathedba Posts: 761member
    DAalseth said:

Beat you to it. Mine is in the mail (figuratively of course). 
    I'm also upgrading from a 10.5 inch version and no need for added accessories since my significant other already has the magic ⌨️ and 🍎✏️  for her iPad Air. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 89
    thedbathedba Posts: 761member
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 
    williamlondonmike1Beatslkruppomasoujony0watto_cobra