IAC CEO says Apple is 'worse' than Google, likely the next antitrust target

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the wake of a massive antitrust lawsuit against Google, IAC CEO Joey Levin says that Apple is "worse" than the search giant and will likely be the next major target for competition regulators.

Credit: WikiMedia Commons
Credit: WikiMedia Commons

Levin, whose company operates internet properties, says that U.S. attorneys general "got it right" with their lawsuit against Google. Speaking to CNBC Friday, Levin said that Apple could be in the crosshairs of the next big antitrust crackdown.

"Apple's next, and I think Apple is, in many senses, worse," Levin said. His company, IAC, operates firms that have apps on Apple's App Store

The Cupertino tech giant has "forced companies into the system," Levin said, adding that "they have a monopoly, there's no way around it. And the fees are exorbitant, and that flows through to everybody."

Back in May, Levin openly criticized Apple's 30% of app and in-app purchases on the App Store. He called the fee "disgusting," and also complained about an alleged "quasi-monopoly."

Apple has defended the fee, claiming that it's on par with what other marketplace operators charge. Google too charges a 30% cut, but its Google Play store is less restricted. Both Apple and Google have launched programs slashing the commission for smaller businesses.

Levin, however, praised the crackdown on Google and the potential for regulators to go after Apple next.

"I think the world could use competition. I think the world could use some regulations around the scale of these businesses now, there's a lot of power concentrated in very few hands," Levin said. "It'll be good for innovation, if they can get it right."

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Opinion paid for by the Mountain View Ad Company.
    mike1lkrupppatchythepiratemagman1979baconstanglordjohnwhorfindysamoriadrdavidjeffharristwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    “Apple is worse than Google when it comes to success.”
    viclauyycmagman1979MisterKitdrdavidjeffharriswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 56
    This guy is a piece of work. He's speaking from SELF INTEREST not the interest of the public. 

Read his 'Bio'
    https://www.iac.com/directors/joey-levin

A guy who has done nothing for anybody except run internet scams. Invented - nothing. Created - nothing but middlemen who feed of true inovators.

Ugh. Stupidity is contagious. Define a monopoly exactly and legally in how it applies to Apple, and only Apple apparently. 
    tenthousandthingsCuJoYYCBeatsmagman1979Dogpersonred oakbaconstangdysamoriadrdavidjeffharris
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Beats said:
    Yeah, this guy is a classic step-above scam man. Selling ads basically and is mad that Apple actually cares about the people who buy and use their products instead of using it to sell crap. Building anything? Group-On which is one step above a scam. 
    CuJoYYCJanNLmwhiteBeatsmagman1979red oakbaconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 56
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    You don’t have to Participate in Apple’s ecosystem. Do something else or make your own. Remember 14 years ago when Apple introduced the iPhone it was ridiculed by the industry leaders. They said it would be a flop. There were well established players so they were doomed to fail. There is nothing but air and opportunity for the CEOs to do what Apple did. 24 years ago they were on the brink of bankruptcy. But instead of whining about Microsoft who had stolen their IP and outsmarted the Apple leaders of the time, they got to work and change the world multiple times. 
    mark fearingCuJoYYCbadmonkviclauyycforegoneconclusionmagman1979randominternetpersonred oakbaconstangmejsric
  • Reply 6 of 56
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Forced? Does anyone here feel forced? I'm aware of the options but I choose to use several of Apple products and services, as well as choose NOT to use most of the products and services they offer because they don't fit my needs.
    badmonkdhawkins541MisterKitrob53magman1979baconstangFidonet127drdavidwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Freedom of speech is a piece of work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Glad he let us know his OPINION.
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    SEE, WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND.  IF YOU DONT LIKE APPLE RULES.  WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE ON THAT PLATFORM?  ITS AS THOUGH, THEY WANT ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE APP STORE, BUT THEY DONT WANT TO PAY.  IF YOU DONT LIKE KETCHUP ON YOUR HOT DOG, YOU DINT HAVE TO EAT IT.  
    mwhitemagman1979Dogpersonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 56
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I’d love to know what percentage of the people saying this nonsense actually believe it. I bet it’s a very small number, although maybe I’m underestimating people’s ability to believe something just because they wish it were true. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    “If they can get it right”. I wouldn’t bet on the politicians getting it right.
    yojimbo007magman1979KTRFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    KTR said:
    SEE, WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND.  IF YOU DONT LIKE APPLE  GOOGLE RULES WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE ON THAT PLATFORM?  ITS AS THOUGH, THEY WANT ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE APP GOOGLE PLAYSTORE, BUT THEY DONT WANT TO PAY.  IF YOU DONT LIKE KETCHUP ON YOUR HOT DOG, YOU DINT HAVE TO EAT IT.  
    Works the same way, right? 
    yojimbo007KTR
  • Reply 13 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    The Cupertino tech giant has "forced companies into the system," Levin said, adding that "they have a monopoly, there's no way around it. And the fees are exorbitant, and that flows through to everybody."

Back in May, Levin openly criticized Apple's 30% of app and in-app purchases on the App Store. He called the fee "disgusting," and also complained about an alleged "quasi-monopoly."

Ar.
    F**k you Levin. No one is forcing f**k**s like you to do business with Apple.  You know that Apple users is where the money is at and you're having a hissy fit that you're not being allowed to leverage all the hard work that Apple did to provide you those users for a fee.

People like Levin really piss me off.  It's people like him that gave Apple a platform to protect users FROM people like Levin.

Levin needs to vanish.  Disgusting.
    yojimbo007magman1979robabaDogpersonbaconstangmejsricCluntBaby92jeffharriswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Android market share 76%…… iOS market share 23%

All the difference in the world !
    randominternetpersonjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    No one is forced to develop for ios. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Android market share 76%…… iOS market share 23%

All the difference in the world !
    I wish Congress would understand this. Of course, I believe profit from iOS is the other way around if not greater and that's what Congress and haters want to get their dirty hands on.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Yeah, this guy is a classic step-above scam man. Selling ads basically and is mad that Apple actually cares about the people who buy and use their products instead of using it to sell crap. Building anything? Group-On which is one step above a scam. 

Apple is no worse than Barnes and Noble, Microsoft or Nintendo who run Digital stores. He won’t go after them because they aren’t “worse”(more successful/more money). Also, Nintendo is a foreign company. The U.S. has this weird self-hate fetish.

his words:

”Apple is next”
    Yeah, clearly a target because Apple is successful.

”And the fees are exorbitant”
    Yeah, like Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc. Wait until he finds out how much his local grocer marks up products in THEIR store. But he won’t go after them because they aren’t “worse”. 
    robababaconstangCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    gatorguy said:
    KTR said:
    SEE, WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND.  IF YOU DONT LIKE APPLE  GOOGLE RULES WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE ON THAT PLATFORM?  ITS AS THOUGH, THEY WANT ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE APP GOOGLE PLAYSTORE, BUT THEY DONT WANT TO PAY.  IF YOU DONT LIKE KETCHUP ON YOUR HOT DOG, YOU DINT HAVE TO EAT IT.  
    Works the same way, right? 
    No it doesn't. If he don't like Apple rules and don't make his apps available in the Apple App Store, he only loses access to about 23% of the mobile device users. If he don't like Google rules and don't make his apps available in the Google Play Store, he loses access to over 70% of the mobile device users.

Here's the question. Does he have his own app store on Android? Are his apps available on a third party app store on Android? Can Android users pay for and side load his apps from his own website?  

If the answer is NO, to any of the above, then why should we believe that if third party app stores and side loading were available on iOS, he would no longer bitch about the 30% commission he would still need to pay with the Apple App Store?  

This isn't about consumers choices and competition. He's bitching about the 30% commission. His only motive is to make more profit at Apple and Google expense. Like that crybaby Sweeney. 

If he doesn't like Apple and Google rules with their app stores, then he can open his own app store on Android to avoid paying any commission and still have access to over 70% of the mobile device users. Until he try to do at least that, he has no excuse to complain about the 30% commission any app store charges. With Android, he doesn't even have to develop, maintain and support the platform. If he's not taking advantage of the features that Google have to offer, for him to avoid or at least reduce the commission he's has to pay on the sale of his apps on Android, then he has no right to complain about the commission he has to pay with the Apple App Store, on iOS. (Even if third party app stores and side loading are not allowed in iOS.)

However, if he wants make a profit from mobile device customers that have no desire to download apps from anywhere else, other than from the Apple App Store (on iOS) or Google Play Store (on Android), then he's going to have to pay for the access to those customers. Customers that would not exist if it weren't for the platforms developed by, maintained and improved upon, by Apple and Google.     
    Dogpersonwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 19 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    “If they can get it right”. I wouldn’t bet on the politicians getting it right.
    On this week’s MacBreak Weekly show Alex Lindsay (https://twit.tv/people/alex-lindsay) argued strongly that politicians should not be regulating something they don’t understand, that the results will be catastrophic. Leo Laporte and Andy Ihnatko argued the opposite, that government should regulate whatever they want to in the supposed role of protecting customers. The irony in the opposing opinions is that Alex Lindsay actually has a dog in the hunt as he is a developer, produces products, and is in the business. Laporte and Ihnatko are common, unremarkable, everyday wordsmiths who talk but cannot do... much like the majority of us here.
    edited July 2021 KTRbaconstangFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 56
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    jungmark said:
    No one is forced to develop for ios. 
    True.  Also, one has to ask them selves.  WHY DO THEY WANT TO BE, ON THE IOS PLATFORM.?  My feeling is, that more people make more purchases on the ios plat form.  So, developers want a bigger piece of the apple pie.
    watto_cobra