Elon Musk takes jabs at Apple during Tesla earnings call

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Can I use Apple CarPlay on a Tesla? 
    ronnlordjohnwhorfincaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Interesting to see that detractors who once derided Apple’s “walled garden” as something that nobody should ever want to be trapped within now see it as something that nobody should ever be denied entry into. Times have changed. 
    foregoneconclusionbloggerblogronncaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    maybe Elon should pay his fair share of taxes *cough* 
    lordjohnwhorfinretrogustoronnrobin huberAlex_Vwatto_cobrabaconstangjony0
  • Reply 24 of 45
    williamh said:
    Wall garden (cough) can we load our own software on a Tesla or sell software on the Tesla?  Just curious. Not that I’d want to. 

For those of you fighting against the Apple “walled garden”, you do want unvetted software running on your car don’t you?

This times 100. He going to open up the info center on his cars for any app maker on the Internet? So interesting that other companies so urgently want Apple to do something yet hey are either doing it in their own ways or trying to do it. And notice Elon gave a nice corporate media answer 'well we are working towards a future.I'd love for another EV company to say 'great, when can we start using this open charging platform'. 

Disappointed in Elon on this. I get the jabs at Apple in the other ways. that's competition. This is a contact sport. But on this one he is being a media suckup, the same media he put down so much previously.  
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    williamh said:
    Wall garden (cough) can we load our own software on a Tesla or sell software on the Tesla?  Just curious. Not that I’d want to. 

For those of you fighting against the Apple “walled garden”, you do want unvetted software running on your car don’t you?
    Tesla already has everything you would ever need in the way of software... That comes in the shape of the Fart App.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    I've been specing out a Model S and one of the things I get stuck on is its lack of CarPlay integration. The other is Elon Musk being a total loose cannon! I know why he snipes at Apple - because they've "stolen" engineers from Tesla, but Tesla's done the same thing to Apple. I'm a commercial artist and an Apple investor, and it's thanks to that I can afford a Tesla. Musk always has at least one foot in his mouth at any one time, so I wonder if he realizes his glib potshots might alienate potential customers like me.
    bloggerblogAI_liaslordjohnwhorfinrobin hubertmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    tomasulu said:
    Apple use silly patents and a closed ecosystem to lock out competition. 100% sure that if Apple owned the supercharger network it won’t open it up to its competition. Fair comment. 
    95% sure you're wrong since Apple typically knows when ubiquity is an advantage. 
    tmaycornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Elon, Once an ahole, always ahole. Brilliance and genius don’t negate it.

His act is old and tiresome. 
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    DAalseth said:
    With Musk's history of making bats**t crazy and unfounded statements I'd take his comments on Apple's use of Cobalt with a big grain of salt. 
    Apparently Apple has to aggressively compete with EV auto companies for the cobalt.

Bloomberg is quoted in this 2018 Verge article about cobalt use that "smartphone batteries use around eight grams of refined cobalt, but a battery for an electric car needs more than a thousand times that amount."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/21/17035264/apple-buy-direct-cobalt-miners-battery
    retrogustoronntmayDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    williamh said:

This times 100. He going to open up the info center on his cars for any app maker on the Internet? So interesting that other companies so urgently want Apple to do something yet hey are either doing it in their own ways or trying to do it. And notice Elon gave a nice corporate media answer 'well we are working towards a future.I'd love for another EV company to say 'great, when can we start using this open charging platform'. 

Disappointed in Elon on this. I get the jabs at Apple in the other ways. that's competition. This is a contact sport. But on this one he is being a media suckup, the same media he put down so much previously.  
    Apple and Tesla do not have any competing products. 
  • Reply 31 of 45
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    tommikele said:
    Elon, Once an ahole, always ahole. Brilliance and genius don’t negate it.

His act is old and tiresome. 
    Personally, I think he is still bitter that apple passed him up.  Like warren buffet said, that’s a bad idea.  Making a reference to Apple acquiring Tesla.  
    mike1lordjohnwhorfinronntmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    williamh said:

If I choose to install it, yes.
    elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 45
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    williamh said:

If I choose to install it, yes.
    Indeed, in a hypothetical scenario where Tesla would allow end-users to install unvetted software, it would be your choice to make. But will you then cry foul because you bricked your Tesla, or will you just suck it up because it was "your choice"?
    edited July 2021 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    tomasulu said:
    Apple use silly patents and a closed ecosystem to lock out competition. 100% sure that if Apple owned the supercharger network it won’t open it up to its competition. Fair comment. 
    Don’t know how you make that assumption. Much of Apple’s hardware is compatible with third party including AirPods, iPhone, Apple Music, iCloud, Pages, Numbers, even Swift is open source. Actually new MacBooks don’t even have any proprietary connections, the charging port is usb c. 
    You validated a moron's comments by replying, LOL

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Isn’t he supposed to be going to space soon? Maybe he should stay there.
    KTRwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Musk has stated that he wants to die on Mars. I think that is a splendid idea and the sooner the better.
    KTRlordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    It seems like Musk may be missing an opportunity by keeping the charger network exclusivity. Certainly, it provides a competitive advantage for people who are undecided among EV options, and it probably means that Tesla owners are more likely to find availability, but charging is the main thing keeping a lot of people from making the switch to electric. Instead, he should open up availability and use the additional revenue to build out the network. He could always reserve a certain percentage for Tesla owners, but showing people that charging won’t be a big problem would rapidly expand the number of prospective EV buyers, and a lot of those people would get a Tesla now, or as their second EV after trying a competing brand. And as people see their friends switching to electric and not struggling with it, they too will want to switch over, and maybe they will get a Tesla even if their friends didn’t. In the foreseeable future we’re going to need a lot of charging stations all over the place, and the sooner it happens, the sooner everyone will make the switch to electric. And when that happens, the charging stations will be doing a lot of business. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Walled Garden?
    I wonder how open Musk would be to users and third party repairs shops tinkering with his full self driving modules?

He chose a red herring to compare Apple against.
    Comparing charging stations to Apple's use of electricity.  His cars need charging stations to plug into just like Apple's iPhones need an electric socket to plug into.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    Musk should not step in somebody else's pie. He might find a bear trap in it.
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Musk has stated that he wants to die on Mars. I think that is a splendid idea and the sooner the better.
    Maybe he can take his buddy trump along. Hell,  suplease take Overbite, Dimwit, Incest Barbie and Felon Ken along.
    watto_cobrabaconstang