Police, GreyShift struggle to keep iPhone unlocking tool purchases secret

Posted:
in iPhone
Police and government agencies have tried to keep secret that they've bought GreyShift's GreyKey iPhone unlocking technology.

GreyShift's GreyKey unlocking tool
GreyShift's GreyKey unlocking tool

GreyShift's GreyKey iPhone forensics tool has been revealed in FCC filings before. But now a series of non-disclosure agreements and other confidentiality documents have revealed certain details about the use and requirements of the tool.

According to Motherboard, the documents were obtained through a series of public record requests. They are the documentation that police and other authorities are required to sign, and adhere to, before they can use GreyKey. They reveal what GreyShift needs police to keep secret.

Some of the documents contain sections that apparently were supposed to be redacted. One such section is related to a previous report that GreyShift had beaten Apple's 2018 USB Restricted Mode.

"Without limiting and foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that you will not disclose the existence of any GrayKey features and solutions designed to circumvent USB Restricted Mode released in iOS 11.4.1," says one such document, "and updated throughout future iOS versions made available to you on or about the date hereof, or any detail or functionality thereof."

The documents specify how the tool must be used on devices actually in police possession. And the series of documents also separately includes ones from government agencies who sought to keep secret that they had bought GreyKey.

"Confidentiality agreements help to protect our customers and partners with how confidential information is disclosed, and we protect and maintain the integrity of our relationships," GreyShift CEO David Miles told Motherboard over email.

"In addition, they are instrumental in preventing the public disclosure of our intellectual property to protect the integrity of our security research," he continued. "Confidentiality agreements are not at all meant to prevent disclosure of evidentiary data or general information about GrayKey in court proceedings that may result from data extracted by GrayKey during our customers' investigations."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    That pesky Freedom of Information Act strikes again...

Thank the gods.
    h4y3slongpathronndavgregDogpersonStrangeDaysbloggerblogrcfadarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    The hottest corners of Hell should be reserved for the people that make these device and those that keep them secret.
    DonEverestlongpathronnrob53davgregDogpersonbloggerblogwilliamlondonlkruppviclauyyc
  • Reply 3 of 27
    So does this basically confirm that law enforcement is now able to unlock/access locked IOS devices on the latest firmware?

If so, this is no bueno….

I understand the argument for their need for access, but past behavior shows that it has been and will continue to be abused. I don’t see how LE is allowed to just go thru my device without a court order. I equate it to having my house and personal records searched without any oversight.
    longpathronnrob53DogpersonwilliamlondonrcfaOferviclauyycdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nizzard said:
    The hottest corners of Hell should be reserved for the people that make these device and those that keep them secret.
    OMG!! You haven't a clue. 

The hottest corners of Hell should be reserved for the people who kill and maim and hide behind "privacy" as they are doing with my son who was killed 6 days ago by one of them, and not by accident. Check your priorities.

That's all I'll say about it. 
    edited August 2021 OferGeorgeBMactmayjony0
  • Reply 5 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

The hottest corners of Hell should be reserved for the people who kill and maim and hide behind "privacy" as they are doing with my son who was killed 6 days ago by one of them, and not by accident. Check your priorities.

Sorry to hear about your son. Stay strong. 
    beachdog1applguyOferbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The police should not be able to buy technology and agree to NDAs as to the existence of them. Same for the fake cell towers that spoof cell towers and suck up all the data in a geographic area. 
    The public has a right to know what public money is being spent upon.

edited August 2021 DogpersonronnrcfaOferbaconstangviclauyycGeorgeBMacdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    That pesky Freedom of Information Act strikes again...

Thank the gods.
    The FOIA would not be passed in modern America.
    The national security state would make sure of it.

Glad we have it.
    DogpersonrcfaGeorgeBMacdarkvaderwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

I'm a bit confused by this, but I'm sorry for your loss.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    rob53 said:
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

Sorry to hear about your son. Stay strong. 
    Thank you Rob. 
    beachdog1Oferjony0
  • Reply 10 of 27
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

Sorry to hear that.
    Ofergatorguy
  • Reply 11 of 27
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 95member
    They can take a long walk off a short bridge. As Lord Nikon and Cereal Killer said in Hackers “snoop onto them… as they snoop onto us.”
    StrangeDaysdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    crowley said:
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

Two weeks ago another mother's son here died. There's a person who is believed to know how and where, but refuses to cooperate. A car he was driving that he claims is not his was taken, as was his phone that he would not unlock saying it wasn't really his either. I don't know if the detective's have been able yet to get anything from it but it's too late for my son. Would it have made a difference if the man had been arrested and charges and off the street. Probably, even if it was temporary and inevitable anyway. 

I completely understand the privacy, and yet still see why there are two sides of the coin. My coin was flipped Friday.  While Apple is busy "saving the children" I hope there can be some way too that children like mine can be protected from the evils that our smartphones help propagate. 
    edited August 2021 viclauyycGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Won’t be surprised if very soon the charging port is gone. 
    rcfa
  • Reply 14 of 27
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

My condolences.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    gatorguy said:
    crowley said:
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

Two weeks ago another mother's son here died. There's a person who is believed to know how and where, but refuses to cooperate. A car he was driving that he claims is not his was taken, as was his phone that he would not unlock saying it wasn't really his either. I don't know if the detective's have been able yet to get anything from it but it's too late for my son. Would it have made a difference if the man had been arrested and charges and off the street. Probably, even if it was temporary and inevitable anyway. 

I completely understand the privacy, and yet still see why there are two sides of the coin. My coin was flipped Friday.  While Apple is busy "saving the children" I hope there can be some way too that children like mine can be protected from the evils that our smartphones help propagate. 
    That is horrible, and like I’m sure everyone here is, I am sorry for your deeply personal loss.

I’m not sure giving LEOs access to every person-of-interest’s encrypted devices in order to solve daily crime is the answer. Second Amendment gun people have a phrase they like to use about objects and people… The wrongdoings of this world are the result of the people who do them, trying to blame cellphones or whatever seems misapplied. I don’t know if I have a problem with LEOs using devices or techniques to crack devices, but I do think that as this becomes more difficult they will next simply move to ban encryption, which the FBI and others have already advocated for. I don’t want to live in a world where only the government is allowed to encrypt data.
    edited August 2021 ronnapplguyrcfamac_doggatorguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 27
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    gatorguy said:
    nizzard said:

Sorry for your loss.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Two boys playing in a park were shot and killed by police officers in VA and the police kept delaying the release of the footage until the officers left to work in another state. This kind of tech will allow police to confiscate a device and delete any incriminating footage. YT is full of officers on power trips.
    ronnrcfamac_dogGeorgeBMacdarkvader
  • Reply 18 of 27
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I have no problem with companies that make tools that allow phones to be cracked.  

What I do have a problem with is forcing backdoors, banning encryption, etc.

Make them work for it.  

And these cracking devices just make the iphones better in the long run as Apple works to secure the phone against such cracking  devices. 

baconstangStrangeDaysOctoMonkeyArchStantongatorguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    Law Enforcement (sic) often applies the "If you have nothing to hide..." mentality when it comes to citizens' complaints about police snooping. Yet they are strident in their defense of secrecy when it comes to issues like GrayKey and similar police state tools. They can't have it both ways.
    bloggerblogrcfadarkvaderwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 27
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    ronn said:
    Law Enforcement (sic) often applies the "If you have nothing to hide..." mentality when it comes to citizens' complaints about police snooping. Yet they are strident in their defense of secrecy when it comes to issues like GrayKey and similar police state tools. They can't have it both ways.
    Exactly! If the government has nothing to hide, FOIA requests should be quick, complete, and largely unredacted. In reality, the opposite is the case.
    Even public safety information is routinely hidden from people who rely on it for their own safety.
    Yet they expect people to essentially walk through life naked and transparent.

In reality, everything is need to know only, as every bit of information can be weaponized and turned into compromat in the hands of a well trained manipulator.

The older I get, and the more governmental abuse of power I witness, the more I agree with the idea that government should be small enough to drown in a bathtub.

They should be concerned with defending the borders, keeping streets, sewer and water running, preventing the poisoning of the environment, and punishing violent crime, theft and fraud. And most everything else is none of their business, in particular any form of potential self-harm.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra