Celebrities and GWB, who's smarter?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://kbear.com/lettter.html

You hear in the news all the time that this actor said that Bush was a moron or that actor said Bush had no clue. For example:

George W Bush is like a bad comic working the crowd, a moron, if you'll pardon the expression." - - Martin Sheen

After reading the article I feel it puts things into perspective a bit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Kinda puts things in perspective, especially the part right after the actors achievements.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    I think it depends on the celebrity.

Peter Ustinov, for example, is brighter than Dubya.

Thurston Moore and David Byrne, for example, are brighter than Dubya.

Fred Durst, for example, is brighter than Dubya.

David Beckham, for example, is brighter than Dubya.

George Bush is a whole lot brighter than the drummer from Hanson.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

What scale of brightness do you use? Metric or Standard?

What I'm trying to say is it's hard to determine how 'bright' someone really is unless you have direct and continuous contact with them.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

What scale of brightness do you use? Metric or Standard?

Imperial.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Lets not give the celebrities too much credit.

Susan Sarandon is probably about on par with dubya, Goldie Hawn is dumber, but we give them passes because they had nice bods at one time. Richard Gere is probably a whole lot dumber than dubya, as is Cher, and Sheen really is borderline, a bit of a retread actually, but does a more convincing illusion of intelligence than either Gere or Bush. Bono, smarter than anyone mentioned so far, and Sting (is he a scientologist? if he is, he loses points.) Cruise, an idiot, as is Travolta. Kidman, a little smarter, but not much. Smart, Christina Applegate.

Smartish? Ed Harris.

Really smart, but dead: Richard Harris. Similarly smart, but not dead yet, Ian McClelland.

I dunno, most of the celebs that get credit for their activism seem to me nothing more than cause heads with a little money and a poor grasp of everything else.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Of course, your whole premise is void since Bush himself brags about not doing shit in college. He got in through legacy preference. Beyond that, you can hardly call his business dealing successful, even more remarkable considering how much money he was given and the criminal acts he commited. (see http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/e...andharken.html)

But hey, what does reality matter right? Why not just sugar-coat everything and ignore the most important factors so you can promote your flawed belief, right Noah?

I see that the other auxiliary assumption is that the arts require less skill. That would make Joe six-pack your only intended audience unless you are trying to make a joke of yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Of course, your whole premise is void since Bush himself brags about not doing shit in college. He got in through legacy preference. Beyond that, you can hardly call his business dealing successful, even more remarkable considering how much money he was given and the criminal acts he commited. (see http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/e...andharken.html)

But hey, what does reality matter right? Why not just sugar-coat everything and ignore the most important factors so you can promote your flawed belief, right Noah?

I see that the other auxiliary assumption is that the arts require less skill. That would make Joe six-pack your only intended audience unless you are trying to make a joke of yourself.

Brags? Where? And even so, he GRADUATED from college. No amount of money will buy you a graduation, rich people don't graduate all the time. Your links about possible criminal activities are off topic, even if you believe he is a criminal it does not add or detract from his intelligence overall. Neither does failing in business, as very smart people fail in business all the time as well. Who is sugar coating anything?

My point is that at best the pot is calling the kettle black here. Not that actors are stupid. But if you look at the current crop of actors out there, the ability to imitate or pretend to be someone else does not add or detract from their IQ either? So we look at what they say. And what they say is usually lowbrow or the spiel you find in someone attempting charachter assasination. And that is not all actors either.

So step down off your high horse and chill.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    < homer >

man everybody's stupid but me

</ homer >
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Bush's bulb can certainly be labeled Energy Star compliant.

But I think he is at his best when he is doing his bad comedian routine. He certainly is not witty or inishgtful or funny or anything like that. But he can at least pull off Friendly and Likeable (ignore the many other reasons for which you would not like him). I spose that isn't so impressive if that is the best that he can do, in fact it's rather bad. But as far as I can tell it is about the closest that he comes to any redeeming qualities.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

< homer >

man everybody's stupid but me

</ homer >

That's a great episode.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Another Colander Classic.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

L Bono, smarter than anyone mentioned so far, and Sting (is he a scientologist? if he is, he loses points.)

Sting better not be. He was Feyd Rautha, a hard core bad ass in 1984's Dune.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Money might not buy you a college degree, but influence does. Just like it buys National Guard service to avoid the draft.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/dem.../stories/bush/

(Note the mention of him being in the bottom 20% of his freshman class at Yale)

Anyway, the last thing I am doing is defending those celebrities. As far as I'm concerned, even as someone highly involved in the arts, they don't exist.

And it takes a pretty incapable person to fail at business even with numerous bailouts and criminal activity. He can't win even when he breaks the rules!
  • Reply 14 of 50
    He raises a good point about crdentials though. In a couple of years I will have a lot more academic credentials after my name than Bush does. What does that mean? Nothing. I know me, I'm not that smart, if I can get a couple of degrees and god willing, ever finish ths doctorate, so can anyone else. I see about the same distribution of smart vs dumb people in grad school as I see in the work place, in social circles, on the net, yadda yadda... The singular experience of "intelligents" outnumbering idiots in any given circle has only come to me in a grad writer's workshop, but then those people are all disposed to observe and think and penetrate experience without public performance, so it's easy for me to be in love with them in an intellectual sense, very little ideology, just looking and thinking about how to communicate what you can see when you're quiet.

Since the actor's life requires a different kind of training, the article is slightly dismissive of their accomplishments by labeling their careers as merely "actor." They've been to theatre schools, on stage, on TV, worked film and production etc etc...

The real test of a persons intelligence comes in word and deed. By that test, many of the actors most vocal in their opposition are indeed idiots, but by that same test, so is Bush.

A name goes a long long way.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

And it takes a pretty incapable person to fail at business even with numerous bailouts and criminal activity. He can't win even when he breaks the rules!

Like the people who ran Enron / Worldcom / Put company here?

Sometimes you fail because the market is tough to survive in. Even when you own said market and manipulate it to your own benefit.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoahJ

Like the people who ran Enron / Worldcom / Put company here?

The people who ran Enron and Worldcom, by and large, did very well for themselves. In fact I believe one of them is running the US Army now.

Smart or Evil, you decide, but it was the people who didn't know what was going on that got shafted. Particularly the employees who were encouraged to buy stock by the bosses who were dumping theirs.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Speaking as a platform agnostic, I have to disagree strongly with desire of some to defend Bush even within the ranks of the Republican party. The republican party has a lot better to offer than Bush, and it's kinda sad that he's the face of the party now. He is possibly the single most undeserving president ever, you don't have to be a democrat (they've got their own problems) to realize this as a plain fact.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

• Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Bush's bulb can certainly be labeled Energy Star compliant

• Reply 20 of 50
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Fred Durst,

You mean the guy that posts like this..

Quote:

we are coming out super heavy with our first single because we have something to say but there are many other layers to this album. its evolution. we all are part of it whether we like it or not. and remember we spell our band name as ONE WORD in all lower case like 'limpbizkit'. this is the only thing we've changed about our tag. oh yeah, did i tell you that TIM BURTON worked on the artwork with me? very cool. anyways, got one more rehearsal before we leave for seattle friday. playing wrestlemania sunday. until later tonight, peace!!

Yep no grammar, no capitals, and digs wrestling...

I can understand why you consider him such an intellectual. Of course you have a long list of their academic and professional achievements to match as well, right? Or are you just content to assert it.

Nick