New 16-inch MacBook Pro review: More power & more convenience for more money

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    cpsro said:
    timmillea said:
    I can see that SJ's and JI's legacy is being compromised by such popularist sentiments and perhaps why JI was ejected.
    Was JI ejected or were his form-over-function designs rejected and he quit?

Everyone has their time and place - no matter how good you are there will always be a time when you should move on (death, resign or fired) Your achievements should not be devalued (or worshiped) but often are.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I don't quite agree with the title of the article (for more money) and with someone earlier (who suggested that the price should drop with their own CPU/GPU).

The baseline 16 inch MacBook only went up $100 or approximately 4% - that is about what inflation has been the past year. Also, the fully loaded model is again very comparable with that of the previous 16 inch model. So where in the actual text of the article is it shown that the more power and more convenience come for more money?

And why would we expect the price to drop from the previous model? These now have much better displays (mini-LED with promotion). Furthermore, with the built-in acceleration for common video and photo operations on M1Max and M1Pro it sounds like they now provide MacPro levels of speed for much less money. No one should have expected the first versions of these new M1 16 inch MacBook Pros to have dropped in cost.
    williamlondonMplsPMisterKitmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    From the article, "You can always use virtualization solutions if you must run Windows software, with all that entails."

This is incorrect - currently, all virtualization requires the same CPU architecture on the host as the virtual machine.  These do not exist today.  (Yes - I remember virtual PC in the PowerPC days, but that type of software does not exist today).

Please correct & update the article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    nicholfd said:
    From the article, "You can always use virtualization solutions if you must run Windows software, with all that entails."

This is incorrect - currently, all virtualization requires the same CPU architecture on the host as the virtual machine.  These do not exist today.  (Yes - I remember virtual PC in the PowerPC days, but that type of software does not exist today).

There's an ARM version of Windows:

It's not officially supported by Microsoft on Apple Silicon but it runs well. There's also the option to emulate x86 Windows like the old Virtual PC software:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Marvin said:
    nicholfd said:

There's an ARM version of Windows:

It's not officially supported by Microsoft on Apple Silicon but it runs well. There's also the option to emulate x86 Windows like the old Virtual PC software:

I'm aware of how well ARM Windows runs on the M1 (I tested it), but the ARM version of Windows is illegal to use on an M1 Mac - Microsoft only licenses it to OEMs.  

And QEMU may run an old, unsupported/un patched OS, poorly (it took seconds for the window About the system to populate CPU, memory, etc.).  Let me know when it offers comparable compatibility, integrations & features to the current products (VMware Fusion & Parallels) and doesn't require about 30 open source packages to be installed for it to run.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    nicholfd said:

As you've already seen and admitted to, Windows can be installed. The caveats are covered under "with all that entails."

Fwiw, it's not illegal. It's unsupported, a violation of the terms of service, and not a great idea from a usability standpoint -- but it isn't illegal.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    nicholfd said:

As you've already seen and admitted to, Windows can be installed. The caveats are covered under "with all that entails."

Fwiw, it's not illegal. It's unsupported, a violation of the terms of service, and not a great idea from a usability standpoint -- but it isn't illegal.
    We'll have to agree to disagree about the legality.  The software comes with a license agreement that the user must agree to before installation.  It's a contract.  

Same with macOS.  Do you believe it's not illegal to install macOS on non-Apple hardware?

Maybe we're being pedantic about civil vs. criminal legality, but law (contract) is still involved.
    williamlondon