13th August=> New powermacs *confirmed*

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    [quote]Originally posted by Animaniac:

<strong>You know, I've been thinking, and this is the first time there has been this level of anticipation for PowerMacs, this level of analysis purporting the future release of PowerMacs. I think we're all going to be disappointed since we all have our heads in the clouds with respect to the advent of new PowerMacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah..... but it sure is fun, isn't it?
  • Reply 62 of 76
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    unfortunately, lately we've been pretty used to get our hope way through the roof, and get disappointed as a result of that.

However, IMHO, not hyping the release of the new Macs at all, a stealth release ala January, and still having a worthy upgrade owuld be a media coup of its own.

Saying "oh, and by the way, we've got new PowerMacs running 333DDR and upto 1.4GHz dual, with FireWire2 and BlueTooth onboard" would get the press in a frenzy nevertheless, and the "by the way" factor would be a great coup...
  • Reply 63 of 76
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

<strong>

Ok, I'm going to go start drinking... its the weekend and I haven't had a drop for a month. I'll probably be back on the message board this weekend, but hopefully I'll be a good deal drunker and in the middle of a lapdance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is that watching or performing? We deserve to know!!

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist ]</p>
  • Reply 64 of 76
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    IMO, a dual 1.4 Ghz w. a real DDR-sdram implementation would be more than half-decent.

But, Im expecting a 1.2 Ghz dual, with DDR hack.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    One report says Ingram Micro has received new SKU's for PoweMacs. Look for the Apple site to show them on August 13 (Tuesday). The case will look exactly like the one taken off websites a few weeks ago. You know, the one that a lot of the usual gang of naysayers said was photoshopped. ALL Apple product shown in magazines and on the net has been photoshopped to some degree.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 66 of 76
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Yep, it's <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006F7S2/"; target="_blank">Amazon UK</a>, and not Amazon US that they're talking about.

Well, I just checked the site and it says August 29. Am I missing something, or did they change the date?

they wouldn't tell me much but i could tell they were excited....what they did say was that they 'have seen the new powermacs' and they told me that 'all the rumors are right, in principle, just not in the details

Since there's been a genral agreement on most of the rumor sites to expect 1.2 to 1.4 gig G4s with an X-serve style hack for DDR memory implementation, the fact that these guys are excited shows either 1) how desperate Mac users are for faster systems-any amount faster-or 2) the amount of self delusion that exists among these people, in that systems with such specs could generate excitement. Depressing!

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Ptrash ]</p>
  • Reply 67 of 76
    cthulucthulu Posts: 20member
    "IMO, a dual 1.4 Ghz w. a real DDR-sdram implementation would be more than half-decent.

But, Im expecting a 1.2 Ghz dual, with DDR hack"

Hack or not ,"real" DDr doesnt blow the world away

on the athlon so dont expect it to do so on the G4 either.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    [quote]Originally posted by ouroboros:

<strong>&lt;snip&gt;

Oh well. MAD Magazine should do a spoof on all the antics of an Apple rumor forum site, there'd be a lot to go on about!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try <a href="http://www.crazyapplerumors.com"; target="_blank">CARS</a>. As much as I love <a href="http://www.appleturns.com"; target="_blank">ATaT</a>, I gotta say, I think CARS is more entertaining (and still posting everyday).

Hmm, I know people who work testing the Power4 (I am sometimes on site at IBM), but I never really was too interested in it until now with the whole 'Power4 derived G5' breaking news. I'll see if I can find out if they've ever tested parts with only one core, or anything else that seems to point to a desktop version.

I'll let you know if I find anything out.

-TO
  • Reply 69 of 76
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by Animaniac:

<strong>You know, I've been thinking, and this is the first time there has been this level of anticipation for PowerMacs, this level of analysis purporting the future release of PowerMacs. I think we're all going to be disappointed since we all have our heads in the clouds with respect to the advent of new PowerMacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you kidding? I remember this level of hype and anticipation occuring about every 6 months for the last 15 or so years! Ever since Apple introduced the powerhouse "Mac II" with colour graphics, a 16 MHz 68020 processor, the ability to address 8 MBytes of RAM, and wonderous NuBus expansion slots. Ever since then people have been anticipating the next big hardware release from Apple because at that point they proved they could build a wicked machine. Any doubters that hung around for very long were put to rest when the IIfx shipped a couple of years later at an astounding 40 MHz. Whoa.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    [quote] Hack or not ,"real" DDr doesnt blow the world away

on the athlon so dont expect it to do so on the G4 either. <hr></blockquote>

Uh, the Athlon doesn't come close to saturating it's bus, but the G4 most definitely does. If the MPX bus goes DDR on Tuesday, expect to see a ~20-40% increase in performance from that alone.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    [quote]Originally posted by blabla:

<strong>IMO, a dual 1.4 Ghz w. a real DDR-sdram implementation would be more than half-decent.

But, Im expecting a 1.2 Ghz dual, with DDR hack. </strong><hr></blockquote>

75 Quatloos on the 1.4 Ghz with real DDR (I'm a bit optomistic thanks to the new case's heat treatments)

50 Quatloos on the 1.2 with the hack

10 Quatloos that Apple's worked out some wacko gonzo pre-release and OS9 incompatible box as a "super-premium" work station thingy, with some kind of crazy Power4-ish early altivec hacked chip inside at some kind of crazy price, for all those shake users out there - just to demonstrate dick size (and a portent of what's to come) ... and then also releases an update of the 50 Quatloo variety for all the other machines.

The Vulcan? Well, he's got that pinch thingy going for him, so ...
  • Reply 72 of 76
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    If the FSB goes to 166, you will see a 25% performance increase.

If the DDR "hack" is used, that plus QE will add another significant increase in performance.

The new machines could perform over 50% faster than the dual gig machines from those things.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    MacWarehouse.co.uk currently shows:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*194 * 800MHz

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*12 * 800MHz + Formac screen bundles

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*9 * 2x1GHz

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*0 * 933MHz

Whatever that means?

[ 08-11-2002: Message edited by: Clive ]</p>
  • Reply 74 of 76
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    We are just crazy Mac fans, some people (sites) are being very optimistic top model with G4 1.6 Ghz and Radeon, even a price drop on 17 inch LCD from 999$ =&gt;599$ and a new 19" model. Hope these things come true.

Source: <a href="http://www.yourdailymac.com"; target="_blank">www.yourdailymac.com</a> .
  • Reply 75 of 76
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    This one must be locked.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by fieldor:

<strong>This one must be locked. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't locking threads from that low down thae page but since you insist...

Locked.