Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 221 of 252
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    On the way home tonight we drove by the Apple Store in Palo Alto. Just after closing time they were taking down a big poster getting ready for tomorrow.

We stopped and looked in. There was a sign indicating you could go there to watch the presentation at the store 10:00AM Monday. There was also a sign inviting people to come back at 6:00PM Friday May 2 for a special event. An employee letting people out said they had heard that the Monday event would be webcast.
  • Reply 222 of 252
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The pending Apple announcement will be front page of the New York Times on Monday I believe. check out http://www.nytimes.com This will been one of the biggest press events for Apple in quite a few years.

Just the publicity alone makes the music service worth it. Basically every news outlet in the world has had an article about the impending service. I wonder how many journalist will show up tomorrow?
  • Reply 223 of 252
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

The word is that it allows the song to be coppied to 3 computers. Couldnt there be a way for the song, in conjunction with the software, to hold an array of up to 3 computer serial numbers (available via the system profiler). The software checks, and adds a new serial number if needed. This would allow you to make as many copies as you wanted...but could only be played on 3 computers. The BIG downside to this is that the song would only be "viable" for 3 computers, so if you only have 1 computer but you upgrade to a new computer once a year, you would have to buy a new copy of the song after 3 years...

Not necessarily. If there's a way to "authorize" a computer, there's a way to "deauthorize" it. The format will be cracked within three years anyway, so there's nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 224 of 252
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Just the publicity alone makes the music service worth it. Basically every news outlet in the world has had an article about the impending service. I wonder how many journalist will show up tomorrow?

Hillary Rosen, former talking-head for the RIAA is quoted as saying she'll be there. So.... lots.
  • Reply 225 of 252
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

This is just absolutely not true. Radio is free. Internet radio is free. Riding in a friend's car whlie they listen to store bought CDs is free.

Not only are all of these options free, they're legal too.
  • Reply 226 of 252
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    waiting for this to be a real site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/apr/28ipod.html
  • Reply 227 of 252
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

waiting for this to be a real site:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/apr/28ipod.html

You aren't watching a replay of the presentation right now? So far Steve Jobbs has been talking about how complicated it is to download music on the internet. Wait . . . gasp now he is saying that Apple has a solution its the revolutionary new . . . . . . . . .
  • Reply 228 of 252
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yet another article, this one from the LA Times:

Quote:

Music industry executives have praised the Apple service, saying it's easier and more inviting than any of the other online music outlets they've sanctioned. But at the labels' insistence, the Apple service will have a layer of complexity that's missing from Morpheus, Grokster and their ilk: The music files won't be in the MP3 format, which can be easily copied, burned onto a CD and moved to many digital devices. Instead, the files will be scrambled to deter piracy.

The new format means Mac and iPod owners will need new software to play music from the service, which sources say will be sold for about $1 per song. The service will be integrated into an updated version of Apple's iTunes software, enabling users to search for, buy and download songs through the same program they use to organize and play music on their computers.

• Reply 229 of 252
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

Who buys CDs anymore though?

Plenty of folks who see live music buy CDs at the show(listen to songs on drive home). Music lovers will always appreciate something tangible (artwork, lyrics,etc...), plus everything you might like is not always on big labels. The best part of Napster was not the free music as much as the larger than any store catalog of released and unreleased music,etc.
  • Reply 230 of 252
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Yet another article, this one from the LA Times:

Scrambled, ay? I prefer my music files sunny side up with a cup of orange juice and bit of toast.

I adore the non-tech media...

Screed
  • Reply 231 of 252
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    1$ per song is a little expensive if you ask me, considering the fact that most CDs have more than 10 songs. That amounts to over 10$ for a whole CD. Most CDs cost about 15$, and this includes an actuall CD, case, and documentation about the CD.

This service just might work out for those who only want one song off of a CD and nothing more. But for those of us who like to have every song on the CD, it doesn't seem too feasible. Dunno, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.
  • Reply 232 of 252
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Quote:

A lot of honest folks who still believe that anything of value has a fair exchange. If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

Your condescension and absolute disregard for the abuses of the record industry have made me reconsider my ways </sarcasm>

Preach at someone else. If the Apple Music service is rational (let's me burn CD copies), I'll probably use it. Even a 'thief' will pay for consistency and quality.
  • Reply 233 of 252
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SurfRat

1$ per song is a little expensive if you ask me, considering the fact that most CDs have more than 10 songs. That amounts to over 10$ for a whole CD. Most CDs cost about 15$, and this includes an actuall CD, case, and documentation about the CD.

This service just might work out for those who only want one song off of a CD and nothing more. But for those of us who like to have every song on the CD, it doesn't seem too feasible. Dunno, guess we'll just have to see how it turns out.

You'll find they offer a price of around $10 for a whole CD.
  • Reply 234 of 252
    The potential I see here is not with the current music file swappers, but with the iMac/iBook consumer crowd. There's a large market there who would buy music online if it was directly within iTunes but would never know what Limewire/Hotline/Etc. was and wouldn't know how to use them if they did. There are also plenty of people who wouldn't object to stealing songs online, but don't want to spend the time searching for them.

As for use after paying for the tracks, I see no reason why there should be any restrictions. You can copy a store bought cd all you want.
  • Reply 235 of 252
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

Who buys CDs anymore though?

I do. There is a kind of fetish in every material product. You just can't deny that it's important for many people.

Quote:

If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

I'd prefer to pay for music and not for fat lazy music bosses' ability to keep their 'jobs', if I had the option. And if I buy a song in the form of bytes, I want the copy to be mine as long as possible without restrictions. Catch me red-handed when I sell pirated CDs, but I must be presumed not guilty. They could scramble the files with my e-mail as a password if they feel paranoid.
  • Reply 236 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucketsandbags

[B]The potential I see here is not with the current music file swappers, but with the iMac/iBook consumer crowd. There's a large market there who would buy music online if it was directly within iTunes but would never know what Limewire/Hotline/Etc. was and wouldn't know how to use them if they did.

My thoughts exactly.

The music industry has already lost any future income from the digerati. Steve's pitch to the Big 5 was "you're never going to get another dime from the tech savvy file swappers anyway, so just let 'em go and start making money off the other 90% of the market who don't know how to steal. You'll come out way ahead in the long run."
  • Reply 237 of 252
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    My guess is that the DRM will be not much stricter than is currently built in to iPod. That is, enough to stop casual sharing but not enough to stop really determined pirates.

I would be willing to buy music online as it provides several benefits compared to free peer-to-peer downloads.

First of all is availability. I currently am looking for a couple of items via Acquisition. These have been pending for days. My guess is that if you are looking for pop music it is easy to find. Other stuff is rare.

Second is quality. I have down loaded some files only to find them poorly encoded or incomplete.

Third is additional material. This is speculation on my part but I'm guessing that in addition to individual songs you will be able to download liner notes, jacket covers, posters and other such supporting files.

To me, $10 for an album of music is worth it compared to the time it would take to find this material for free online.
  • Reply 238 of 252
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You'll find they offer a price of around $10 for a whole CD.

That's too much. CDs cost far less than that new where I'm from.
  • Reply 239 of 252
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

That's too much. CDs cost far less than that new where I'm from.

where the hell is that and if its foreign country what do you care since this music service will most likely not be available outside the US
  • Reply 240 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

My guess is that the DRM will be not much stricter than is currently built in to iPod. That is, enough to stop casual sharing but not enough to stop really determined pirates.

I would be willing to buy music online as it provides several benefits compared to free peer-to-peer downloads.

First of all is availability. I currently am looking for a couple of items via Acquisition. These have been pending for days. My guess is that if you are looking for pop music it is easy to find. Other stuff is rare.

Second is quality. I have down loaded some files only to find them poorly encoded or incomplete.

Third is additional material. This is speculation on my part but I'm guessing that in addition to individual songs you will be able to download liner notes, jacket covers, posters and other such supporting files.

To me, $10 for an album of music is worth it compared to the time it would take to find this material for free online.

I believe this new music service would be useful to me only if I could find some less-popular things on it. I am an opera singer, and sometimes I want to find different renditions of an aria. The only time I was ever able to do this was during the brief existence of Audiogalaxy. On Acquisition, Kazaa, or WinMX, I can never find anything useful. And I'm not going to spend $40 on a complete opera recording for one aria.

Another nice thing could be remixes or music that was only available on a single. I buy the main albums of artists that I like, but I'm not usually willing to spend $7.99 on a single which has 1 song I've already got and just a few remixes on it. I WOULD pay per-song for those remixes perhaps though.

Matthew