Two years after Apple Silicon, Intel still wants Apple to buy chips

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2022
Intel is insistent that it can get Apple to become its customer once again, with an executive saying it can win back Apple despite the success of Apple Silicon.

Apple has mostly moved away from Intel chips for its Mac product range, with all but one computer running on its own Apple Silicon. Despite the likelihood that Apple will eventually shift completely over to Apple Silicon chips and drop Intel, the processor producer still thinks it has a chance to get Apple's ear.

During Intel's Innovation event on Tuesday, Intel's executive vice president of the Client Computing Group Michelle Johnston Holthaus commented about Intel's chip work, but also mentioned Apple, according to Ian Cutress on Twitter.

As part of the commentary, Holthaus insisted that Intel "will never stop trying to get Apple to be a customer again." It is unclear what else Holthaus said on the subject at the time, other than Intel's wish for "everyone to have high performance."

Also: Will never stop trying to get Apple to be a customer again. Intel wants everyone to have high performance.

-- . (@IanCutress)

The comment from Holthaus isn't the only one made by high-level Intel executives about its deteriorating relationship with Apple since the introduction of Apple Silicon.

In an October 2021 interview, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger insisted he will never give up hope of a return to Macs on Intel processors, but that it would have to do so by creating a better chip.

"Apple decided they could do a better chip themselves than we could," said Gelsinger. "And you know, they did a pretty good job. So what I have to do is create a better chip than they can do themselves."

With Intel continuing to work on its foundry services, there's always a chance that Apple could use Intel to produce its chips, alongside its existing TSMC relationship. In late 2021, Intel was allegedly attempting to court Apple for potential future chip production.

Such an approach wouldn't necessarily be using Intel-designed chips, but would still be more business for Intel itself.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    What capabilities do Intel chips have that Apple can’t replicate with their own chips?  
    chaickaFileMakerFellerwilliamlondondavgregwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I remember reading a while ago that Intel engineers complained that Apple was a pain in the ass, asking for features that are not on their roadmap.
    lkrupppulseimagesolschaickaFileMakerFellerdanoxargonautdavgregwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Intel is still highly successful at building their chips on a 10 nm process, Apple has *never* been able to do that :D
    entropysFileMakerFellerbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I remember reading a while ago that Intel engineers complained that Apple was a pain in the ass, asking for features that are not on their roadmap.
    I also remember reading a while ago that Apple was the top contributor to Intel's CPU errata.  Basically, Intel's latest CPU's (during Apple's Intel days) had so many bugs in Intel's CPU's, that Apple spent a significant amount of resources telling Intel to get its act together.
    pulseimagesolsblastdoorchaickaFileMakerFellerbloggerblogargonautwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 38
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    sandor said:
    Intel is still highly successful at building their chips on a 10 nm process, Apple has *never* been able to do that :D
    Yeah, apple just leapfrogged and started building 6nm chips. 😁
    pulseimagesolschaickasandorwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 38
    “Intel wants everyone to have high perform  as nice.” LOL

Exactly why Apple is making its own silicon - so everyone can have high performance, not just future lap burn victims. 

M1 scared Intel to high Heaven. They came back 3DFX style, just adding more stuff. And consuming your monthly power budget in the process. 

M2 comes out and Intel thinks they have a slight respite. Haven’t even seen the Max/Ultra/Extreme. Going to be medication time. 

And they have no clue what’s in store with M3. 

Nobody wants Intel anymore. Just fold up and ask Apple for a job. 

h2pchaickaravnorodomargonautwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 38
    They’ve got a 1 in a million chance…
    pulseimagesdewmeh2pnetroxbloggerblogravnorodomargonautwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 38
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member

Exactly why Apple is making its own silicon - so everyone can have high performance, not just future lap burn victims. 

M1 scared Intel to high Heaven. They came back 3DFX style, just adding more stuff. And consuming your monthly power budget in the process. 

M2 comes out and Intel thinks they have a slight respite. Haven’t even seen the Max/Ultra/Extreme. Going to be medication time. 

Just imagine, M4 will be even crazier!
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    But isn’t Apple use stock Intel CPU?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    It would be helpful to know the context of the comment. Were they asked about Apple? Did they just bring it up randomly? If they were asked about Apple what else are they supposed to say, “screw those guys, I hope they continue to make better chips than us”?

muthuk_vanalingamuraharabestkeptsecretravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    viclauyyc said:
    The only Intel CPUs being used by Apple currently, AFAIK, are the chips in the Mac Pro.  And that is likely to change at some point, likely “sooner”.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    They’ve got a 1 in a million chance…
    I love that scene and see it play out in real life so many times.

I guess this make Intel the up until now missing "Dumberer" third leg of the stupidity stool.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    sflocal said:
    I also remember reading a while ago that Apple was the top contributor to Intel's CPU errata.  Basically, Intel's latest CPU's (during Apple's Intel days) had so many bugs in Intel's CPU's, that Apple spent a significant amount of resources telling Intel to get its act together.
    Interesting. If Apple isn't doing much troubleshooting on Intel's behalf nowadays, is another company finding the bugs for them or has Intel stepped up its own game? It makes me even more glad not to be dependent on "Wintel" computers during my day job or at home!
    chaickawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Let’s see intel finally get their 7nm “Intel 4” into mass production. Then just another two nodes, so long as TSMC stands still, and …. 
    FileMakerFellerargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Well they still could have an afterburner card in the MacPro for intel to supply for. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    If Intel builds a foundry to manufacture Apple Silicon then Intel will get Apple's business. Absent that, Intel has no chance. 
    narwhalravnorodommystigoargonautdavgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    viclauyyc said:
    All customers ask the vendor for what they want, if it's not already part of the product. Big customers, like Apple, would expect Intel to comply with most of their wishes. Intel clearly didn't want to, so Apple found another vendor (themselves).

It's the same with computers: Apple builds what they choose to, and anyone who needs something else looks to another vendor. You decide what you need and what you're willing to compromise on and you go from there.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I don't think Intel has any chance of winning back Apple. Apple and Intel have different ideas about what constitutes "better" so the CEO's comments are just an effort to save face - although if he actually believes this then he probably isn't the best person for the job.

It's an "Apple vs the rest of the industry" situation, and in terms of size Apple won't win[1]. In terms of profitability for a chip maker... might be a close call, but Apple's reputation suggests it won't be easy money. Plus, Apple always wants to control any component they view as strategically important - and since they now have that, why would they give it away to work with a recalcitrant supplier that is looked upon as being behind in the performance arena?

[1] Apple is working to change the metric from "performance" to "performance per watt" and the rest of the industry is amenable to this idea, but Apple also wants to integrate their own custom features into chips whereas the rest of the industry wants commodity components. Apple is now big enough to get what they want, but the rest of the industry isn't going to change to accomodate Apple's desires.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    JinTech said:

Just imagine, M4 will be even crazier!
    Yeah, you think you know what you’re poking at, but it’s not there. It’s been widely discussed that M3 is the Apple Silicon Apple has been pushing toward. M1 was a nice baby step. M2 keeps the momentum. M3 is where Apple gets to show off a bit and add the higher end chips into devices with less thermal overhead. Let’s revisit in 9 months. 

If Intel can produce reliably and Apple needs the supply, then perhaps Intel can be allowed to produce the base M chips. 
    edited September 2022 narwhalargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    They can only produce toasted chips but Apple wants kool kool chips!  
    watto_cobra