Inside Apple's Singapore Marina Bay Sands retail store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2023
The Marina Bay Sands Apple Store in Singapore is the first of its kind, appearing to float on water in Singapore's Marina Bay -- and we recently visited it.

Apple Marina Bay Sands in Singapore
Apple Marina Bay Sands in Singapore

Said by Apple to be inspired by the Roman Pantheon, the Apple Marina Bay Sands opened during the pandemic on September 7, 2020, and makes its mark as the only floating dome Apple Store on the planet.

Singapore's first Apple Store opened May 27, 2017 on Orchard Road, an upscale shopping area. A second opened on July 13, 2019, and can be found inside Singapore Changi Airport.

On our recent visit to Singapore, we visited the third Apple store to open in the country, Apple Marina Bay Sands. It beckons Apple fans by day with its curious spherical design, and bedazzles the marina waterfront with its warm glow at night.

Designed by architects Foster + Partners who took inspiration from the Pantheon in Rome, it offers a truly delightful shopping experience for Apple fans.

History of Apple Marina Bay Sands

In 2011, Safdie Architects completed two Crystal Pavilions designed as transparent, geometric islands jutting along Singapore's Marina Bay waterfront. The northern pavilion is home to Louis Vuitton and remains to this day with its sharp, irregularly angled facades.

The southern pavilion housed two luxury night clubs Avalon and Pangaea, but both nightclubs have since closed, and this pavilion has been replaced by Apple Marina Bay Sands. In striking contrast to its former jagged asymmetric design, Apple Marina Bay Sands was unveiled as a futuristic sphere.

Outstanding design

This is the only Apple store in the world that sits directly on the water and is joined to the land by a small bridge.

Apple Marina Bay Sands offers excellent views of the waterfront
Apple Marina Bay Sands offers excellent views of the waterfront

At first glance, this geodesic dome appears to float on water against the captivating backdrop of the Singapore skyline. This all-glass dome is made with 112 pieces of fully-glazed glass, with 10 narrow vertical bars for structural connection.

The glass dome is designed for seamless transparency between indoors and out, accentuated by tall potted trees meticulously placed throughout the store.

View from inside Apple Marina Bay Sands Singapore
View from inside Apple Marina Bay Sands Singapore

At almost 100 feet in diameter, it delivers a 360-degree panoramic view of Singapore's famous Marina Bay. It does this quite comfortably as it's shielded with circular sun shades from the intense Singaporean sun.

Getting there

There are two entrances to this eye-catching Apple store, with one via a small bridge connected to the boardwalk in front of the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands. The bridge is sometimes closed, but there is another entrance.

Look for this sign when entering from within the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
Look for this sign when entering from within the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands

Within the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, there is an elevator or escalator that goes up into the dome. Enter the Apple store from Basement 2 of the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands.

Entering Apple Marina Bay Sands from inside the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
Entering Apple Marina Bay Sands from inside the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands

Don't be fooled by this ordinary section of the Apple store. Walk all the way to the back of the store, and get on the escalator.

Walk to the very back of the Apple Store on Basement 2 of the Shoppes
Walk to the very back of the Apple Store on Basement 2 of the Shoppes

We stepped on the escalator and looked up, and were greeted by a semi-opaque oculus from which a glorious ray of light floods the entire dome.

We couldn't help but feel a sense of giddy wonderment upon entering this bright and cheerful space filled with our favorite Apple products.

The Forum

A notable feature of this Apple store is its Forum in collaboration with the Singapore Tourism Board.

Apple Store's Forum in collaboration with the Singapore Tourism Board
Apple Store's Forum in collaboration with the Singapore Tourism Board

Here, Apple's Singapore creatives host regular free events showing how to use Apple products specifically when visiting Singapore.

For example, current events include learning low light photography using Night Mode around Singapore Marina Bay, and basic photography capturing landmarks such as Jewel Changi Airport and Emerald Hill. You can check out the event calendar for the store from Apple's website.

Add this to your Singapore itinerary

Apple Marina Bay Sands opened in September 2020 during the grim pandemic days. Even so, it garnered so many visitors upon opening that advanced appointments were required to enter the store.

Entering Apple Marina Bay Sands from either the elevator or escalator from Level B2
Entering Apple Marina Bay Sands from either the elevator or escalator from Level B2

As Singapore emerges from strict travel restrictions, appointments are no longer needed to visit this iconic Apple store. Its staff of 148, who collectively speak over 23 languages, is ready to welcome visitors from around the world.

Starting from Apple's first corporate office in Singapore's Ang Mo Kio over 40 years ago, it's involvement in the area culminates with this whimsically futuristic Apple Store. Perhaps this is yet another way Apple is inspiring us to think different.

Apple Marina Bay Sands address

The Apple Marina Bay Sands is hard to miss, but here's the address to add this to your Singapore itinerary: 2 Bayfront Ave, B2 - 06, Singapore 018972.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    Insanely great. But what did this cost me, as an Apple shareholder? Betting my dividends would be higher if Apple spent a teeeeeny bit less on these eclectic and expensive stores that are popping up. Apple customers don't need a "floating dome" to shop for Apple goods and services. A mall store is just fine for me.
    Oh please
    luke hamblyravnorodombloggerblogfred1mac_dogy2andewmeJFC_PAwilliamlondonJaphey
  • Reply 2 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    JP234 said:
    Insanely great. But what did this cost me, as an Apple shareholder? Betting my dividends would be higher if Apple spent a teeeeeny bit less on these eclectic and expensive stores that are popping up. Apple customers don't need a "floating dome" to shop for Apple goods and services. A mall store is just fine for me.

Comments like this remind me of why our world is so messed up. Humans are selfish, and not out of survival like the rest of nature.

So how is Apple's hard work at padding your pockets bringing value into your life? Do you drive an expensive car or a junker, just to be practical? Do you own a large screen TV or just read a book at night?

It goes both ways. Apple's investment in the "Apple experience" is why sales remain strong.
    edited January 2023 JP234luke hamblyravnorodombageljoeyfred1muthuk_vanalingammac daddy zeemac_dogy2anwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Marina Bay store = 17,000 sq ft. Average sales per year per square foot = $5,500US.
    That means if store is just average, it has sold approximately $180,000,000+ in the past two years.

That means as an Apple shareholder, you made out like a bandit. KUDOS to you!!!
    fred1sunman42williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 31
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

Comments like this remind me of why our world is so messed up. Humans are selfish, and not out of survival like the rest of nature.

So how is Apple's hard work at padding your pockets bringing value into your life? Do you drive an expensive car or a junker, just to be practical? Do you own a large screen TV or just read a book at night?

It goes both ways. Apple's investment in the "Apple experience" is why sales remain strong.
    Actually, my wife and I drive Volvos. A 2013 S60 and a 2022 XC40, both Platinum trim, paid for in cash. Between our Apple, Microsoft, two utility and 5 oil company stocks, the dividends throw off enough cash to buy a new one (about $45-$50K each) every two years. My 2013 has only 28,000 garage kept miles on it, so I'm keeping it, even though I'd like a new one. Maybe if Apple paid me a special dividend or raised the dividend, I'd get a new 2023, even though my '13 is near mint. But I'm a lifelong gearhead, so cars are near the top of my spending priorities.

Our TV is only 43." And I read lots of books, too, mostly from the library. We have no debt; not cars, not mortgage, not credit card.

To put it in terms no millennial will ever understand, but every Boomer will, "You can't spend or borrow your way to prosperity."
    Maybe we should start you a go fund me page?
    bageljoeyfred1JFC_PAwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 31
    JP234 said:
    I see it as brand marketing strategy. Especially in Singapore, brands like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Sony, Samsung.... etc sticks out like a sour thumb with their "Wow-Factor" building designs. Apple just can't be the iittle guy in the corner or the tiny guy in between these big brands. It would be embarrassing. If there is going to be an Apple Store somewhere in my town in the state of Connecticut, yep, I can see it be the size of a 7 Eleven store with low key architecture design. And those brand names stores, including Apple, on Fifth Ave in New York City don't make any profits at all due to extremely high rent. They are there just for the brand awareness.
    JP234
  • Reply 6 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    JP234 said:
    And those brand names stores, including Apple, on Fifth Ave in New York City don't make any profits at all due to extremely high rent. 
    That Apple store in New York city probably makes more money per square foot than any retail store in all of human history. And you said it makes no profit.

https://www.zdnet.com/finance/report-apples-fifth-avenue-store-tops-350m-in-annual-revenue-updated/
    fred1JFC_PA
  • Reply 7 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    And those brand names stores, including Apple, on Fifth Ave in New York City don't make any profits at all due to extremely high rent. 
    That Apple store in New York city probably makes more money per square foot than any retail store in all of human history. And you said it makes no profit.

https://www.zdnet.com/finance/report-apples-fifth-avenue-store-tops-350m-in-annual-revenue-updated/
    Well if they pay more rent, property tax and insurance than anywhere else in human history, it's possible. Revenue is not profit.
    OK, boomer. And you think the solution is to go with the failed Dell kiosk in malls and failed Gateway stores in cheap strip malls? How did that work out for them?

As a shareholder, you could've had that concern when Apple first started building stores in premium locations, but now that it's been over 20 years with Apple both building an anchor store that helps bring in foot traffic to a location that then drives up the desire for other stores to be placed next to an Apple Store (which means they can get much better deals from the leaser) and has the highest revenue per square feet (even beating out Tiffany's soon after launching) you have no ground to stand on and complain about the fucking share pice.

How about Apple stops doing dividends since that affects the share price, too?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 31
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

Actually, my wife and I drive Volvos. A 2013 S60 and a 2022 XC40, both Platinum trim, paid for in cash. Between our Apple, Microsoft, two utility and 5 oil company stocks, the dividends throw off enough cash to buy a new one (about $45-$50K each) every two years. My 2013 has only 28,000 garage kept miles on it, so I'm keeping it, even though I'd like a new one. Maybe if Apple paid me a special dividend or raised the dividend, I'd get a new 2023, even though my '13 is near mint. But I'm a lifelong gearhead, so cars are near the top of my spending priorities.

Our TV is only 43." And I read lots of books, too, mostly from the library. We have no debt; not cars, not mortgage, not credit card.

To put it in terms no millennial will ever understand, but every Boomer will, "You can't spend or borrow your way to prosperity."
    Hahahaha, that's rich coming from Boomers that got their prosperity through greed and from taking for themselves the resources for the following generations, piling up externalities, and cutting down all the ladders of support they used to get where they are for extra profit - so selfish that they behaved as if there would be no future after them!

Boomers literaly spend all the country's resources they were given and borrowred against the future of the country and of their children!

edited January 2023 ravnorodomdewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 31
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    JP234 said:
    If Apple was associated with mall stores that are "fine for you" they'd be seen as a bargain low-value brand, and would be not even close to half their current market value...
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 10 of 31
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

To put it in terms that YOU will never understand, every single word of this post is cringe. 
    Every
    single
    one. 
    edited January 2023 ravnorodomRudeBoyRudy
  • Reply 11 of 31
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

To put it in terms that YOU will never understand, every single word of this post is cringe. 
    Every
    single
    one. 

What’s cring is people competing to be more wholly than thou are? Who are any of you to criticize this person for their opinion as he can spend his money on what he wants to spend it on and you have no say. Apple has Millions of shareholders they all have different perspectives, and none of them is more important than the next. He is no more greedy than you are. Stop being so pc and trying to outdo each other with who is more holy. I’m sure you do everything with everyone else in mind every day. Never thinking of yourself. Ridiculous! Also, Apple is not a charity and was created by greedy people. No one is innocent…

edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingamravnorodommac daddy zeewilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 31
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’ll let the rest of you debate the merits of the design of Apple stores and just say thanks for this excellent article with the guided tour of this store. It’s nice to have the explanation and the many photographs. As an architect I love visiting Apple stores when I’m in a place that has one (the nearest one to me is a two hour flight away) to see the design features, some glamorous, some very simple but excellent as well. 
    ravnorodommac daddy zeewilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I love visiting Apple Stores as well. As a graphic designer, their architectures are inspiring. It totally reflects the quality of their products. This Singapore branch is no exception. It’s beautifully crafted and so is the next door floating Louis Vuitton store which is the best one I ever seen and visited. I would love to visit other Apple Stores in other countries and especially the ones that are fuesd with the local architecture. But, oh well, travelings ain’t cheap. Perhaps Netflix or Apple TV should do a documentary on Apple Stores all around the world and that would be an awesome show to watch.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 31
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    “Perhaps Netflix or Apple TV should do a documentary on Apple Stores all around the world and that would be an awesome show to watch.”

Excellent idea. That would make even me want to subscribe to Apple TV! 
    ;) 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 15 of 31
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Dear AI,

It’s a dome, but not a geodesic dome.

All the best for 2023.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 31
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    JP234 said:
    If you don’t like their strategy, sell up and take your investment money elsewhere. 
    JP234
  • Reply 17 of 31
    ukrunrukrunr Posts: 21member
    JP234 said:
    As a boomer (who doesn't find the need to associate with the term as I've moved on), but also a lifelong gearhead, I just wanted to commiserate on your vehicle choices. Those are some pretty poor outcomes for a gearhead. Perhaps we do need that fund me page if that's what your investments are producing for you. Better luck for the future!
    JP234
  • Reply 18 of 31
    It looks like you have tens of thousands AAPL shares to be able to live a good life on a meager $0.92 dividend from AAPL. So why don't you sell a meager 400 shares of AAPL which should allow you to purchase a much better 2022 new car to enjoy? 
  • Reply 19 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The reality is that this particular Apple Store actually fits into the modern elements of the overall Singapore aesthetic quite naturally. Singapore has somehow managed to blend the architecture from its more recent colonial heritage into some of the most modern and tantalizing architectural designs being put forth today. Somehow they make it all work. The blending of architectures reflects a similar blending of cultures that make Singapore one of the most interesting cities I've ever spent time in. This Apple Store is just one of many equally fascinating things to experience in Singapore.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

It looks like you have tens of thousands AAPL shares to be able to live a good life on a meager $0.92 dividend from AAPL. So why don't you sell a meager 400 shares of AAPL which should allow you to purchase a much better 2022 new car to enjoy?