Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 245
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    iqatedo said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Well, it just saved me from buying more monitors, so it's pretty cheap.  3D camera capability looks fun.

Meanwhile, Google and Meta are furiously working back at the drawing board...  Another Oh shi! moment for those guys, just like with iPhone and Apple Watch.
    So to be clear, this will act as a monitor for the Mac as well? I render heaps of output from Wolfram Mathematica as 3D plots. I can see Wolfram introducing a VisionPro 3D rendering engine. The tech incorporated is astounding for the bulk volume of the device.
    Yes, but it's an AirPlay display. So, it will be limited by WiFi bandwidth. They say a Mac can push 4K worth of display to it, and your Mac's screen will be displayed inside the headset along with the VP's native views/apps. You can interact with the single Mac display with regular Mac accessories. I'm not sure if you can use VP eye tracking with Mac screen elements though.

For Wolfram, they should just make a native visionOS app.
  • Reply 242 of 245
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    JP234 said:
    cpsro said:
    mcdave said:
    Vision Pro replaces what?
    Vision Pro replaces world travel, going to the theater, attending concerts and sporting events, trying to imagine what a fantasy world would look like, packing 4k monitors in your suitcase, mounting multiple 4k monitors above your bed, etc.
    And your girlfriend.
    He might not have one of those!
  • Reply 243 of 245
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    MacPro said:
    techconc said:
    Here are my initial thoughts...

Positives
    • On the positive side, I do believe Apple will bring a best in class product to market.  As this type of device goes, this does look pretty cool (for what it is).
    Negatives
    • Apple continues to completely miss the boat on gaming.  The demo should have feature a AAA game as a reference for what is possible for others.  A vague mention of Apple Arcade doesn't cut it. 
    • "Starting price" of $3499 pretty much makes this a non-starter from the majority of people who don't actually need a device like this.  
    Maybe at half the price, with some future version maybe based on something like an M5 chip and a large catalog of games, etc. would this be compelling for me.  I'm curious to try it, but doubt I'd get one anytime soon (after it's released).

My gaming PC cost over $6,000 and then there is the 4K monitor.  This is to play about five games.  $3,500 for this is a bargain for all the things it can do.
    Yeah, but an M2 based device isn’t going to replace your gaming PC.  This will be in addition to your current devices and that’s a tough sell for most.  
  • Reply 244 of 245
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    techconc said:
    MacPro said:
    techconc said:
    Here are my initial thoughts...

Positives
    • On the positive side, I do believe Apple will bring a best in class product to market.  As this type of device goes, this does look pretty cool (for what it is).
    Negatives
    • Apple continues to completely miss the boat on gaming.  The demo should have feature a AAA game as a reference for what is possible for others.  A vague mention of Apple Arcade doesn't cut it. 
    • "Starting price" of $3499 pretty much makes this a non-starter from the majority of people who don't actually need a device like this.  
    Maybe at half the price, with some future version maybe based on something like an M5 chip and a large catalog of games, etc. would this be compelling for me.  I'm curious to try it, but doubt I'd get one anytime soon (after it's released).

My gaming PC cost over $6,000 and then there is the 4K monitor.  This is to play about five games.  $3,500 for this is a bargain for all the things it can do.
    Yeah, but an M2 based device isn’t going to replace your gaming PC.  This will be in addition to your current devices and that’s a tough sell for most.  
    While true, I doubt these who will be buying this thing (I’ll try, but with so few available I don’t know if I’ll be able to) it won’t be a major seller next year. We know there can’t be more than about 450,000 of these things made because of Sony’s manufacturing limitations for the screens. So people deriding this for games are wasting their time. That’s not who this is for right now.