Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 245
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,313member
    This will be interesting as soon as it ships and people can review a released version. This one still feels like a prototype. I guess we will know more once some developers who had some time with it, give their impressions.

To me it was interesting that the tether is only a battery when early models were rumored to have a detached processing unit. 

I get the skepticism over it, but for those who don’t like it because it didn’t match their expectations, what were you expecting?
    The iPhone was not a slam dunk. Verizon passed on it because they were skeptical it wouldn’t be another ROKR, and there was tremendous hatred for touchscreens, and glass touchscreens were considered suicide for a potable device. 

I understand the cost may be a put off. 

I wanna see where this goes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 122 of 245
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    tuckjo77 said:
    I wear glasses and have my whole life. Will the device word for me???
    Yes, they demonstrated that you need to get your prescription and have the lenses made.
    cg27watto_cobratht
  • Reply 123 of 245
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    MacPro said:
    The price is insane.
    Compared to what?
    Compared to Meta’s soon to be discontinued product.
    williamlondonurashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 124 of 245
    Haha

Man, I love seeing everyone put their foot in their mouth here.

Vision Pro will not fail. No way.

The Apple hatred is always strong even in this forum, and it's on repeat. The only benefit, is you get to watch people be wrong over and over again. Go ahead, keep documenting how little 'vision' you have for the future, and I'll keep bookmarking pages like these.
    williamlondondanox9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangradarthekatsherbetwatto_cobra
  • Reply 125 of 245
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    This product is gonna end up a winner, yes it's still too large and it's more of an introvert's device but the unspoken accomplishments here are going unnoticed. Similar to when the iPhone came out where you didn't need to calibrate the touch screen, this device doesn't require it either. I have tested VR glasses prototypes at my job and I tell you these things are lightyears ahead, not. to mention the prescription glasses is a big plus. 
    9secondkox2Alex_Vradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 126 of 245
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    The beauty of this visionOS is that Apple is in a unique position to do this.
    It cannot be easily copied.

-Custom CPU / GPU cores that sip power.
    -RealTime OS
    -Foveated Rendering and spatial frameworks, Multi-App 3D Engine.
    -Over 5000 Patents.

I predict that this will be HUGE in this Automated AI era.
    The monitor capabilities and user interface alone are already huge.

I think Apple is not showing all their cards to avoid crazy copycats like the iPhone OS.
    tmayAlonghorndanoxAlex_Vbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 127 of 245
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    The fact that so many people are looking for weak excuses to say how it will fall is proof that it's a winner. If this was something pathetic it would've been ignored already. I certainly didn't go to any MS HaloLens or Google Glass-focused forums to detail every feature I didn't think was good enough or cheap enough for my needs. I looked at, I saw these were poorly implemented, had a laugh, and then moved on. Hell, I had even forgotten that MS HaloLens even existed until this thread.

I still don't know yet whether Apple Vision is for me, but it's definitely a brilliant level of engineering.
    MacPronubusAlex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 128 of 245
    I want the price to be $1,499!!

I'm hoping they find some economies of scale in the production process sometime soon!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 129 of 245
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    netrox said:
    I don't think people really get it - Apple's Vision Pro has 5000 patents and that includes UX and that effectively prevents competitors from copying the whole implementation of operating system and the hardware configurations. Just watch competitors try to get away with copying Apple's Vision Pro. 

There is literally no "true" operating system that is tightly integrated like Apple Vision Pro. We've seen competition AR glasses and they sucked. Their UX is terrible and awkward. The UI in Apple Vision Pro is extremely intuitive and natural. 

How true. This is a point that has largely been ignored so far. Personally, I thought that Stage Manager was going to be a primary component of the UI, but I didn’t see it anywhere on my first viewing. Instead, the UI they did present was both familiar and logical. If you’ve ever used an Apple device, this will be an intuitive experience. 

Then there is the way they will integrate with, or act as an extension to, all your current devices and share a common design across all of them. Nobody can come close to offering that type of experience. Nobody.

I think once Vision is actually released, this is a topic that will heat up. 
    edited June 2023 Alex_Vradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 130 of 245
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    jdsocal said:
    What a bunch of negative DORKS on this site. Much like the iPhone, until you use it you can't understand its utility.

At least be intelligent or insightful if you're going to be dorks.
    agreed

aderutter said:
    Well I’m sold. It looks to me to be the first mature AR/VR product.

I’ve tried other VR headsets and they are all clunky gadgets compared to this.

I have a habit of watching movies alone late at night on my home cinema projector - so I can see that being a significant use to me.

Now ideally I want major apps to be updated to integrate fully with this; for example so I can sculpt in ZBrush while viewing the object in actual 3D not on a 2D monitor. 
    -
    Another use for me would be when I’m on my WaterRower - I want to be transported so I’m rowing down the Nile in my own home. 

I am right there with you!  I was thinking about a new projector, I am like NOPE! +$2000... for "Starters"
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 131 of 245
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    It has more patents than its cost in dollars.
    rezwitsAlex_Vradarthekat
  • Reply 132 of 245
    This is an amazing piece of gear. Mind blowing and it demolishes anything that came before it. While the entertainment value is good, its value for work in many industries could be endless. It's a great start. All that came before it were toys by comparison.  B)
    danoxAlex_Vbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 133 of 245
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

Dude, it's gatorguy, what did you expect? If he said he loved it, we'd all need to press him to get a brain MRI, stat, to find the tumor.
    Right on. I’m not familiar with him or his brand of negativity. 
    You've confused realistic with negative. Apple may well have a hit on it's hands with future iterations, and if anyone can be successful with it, it's Apple. But it's not this version of it. In fact I don't expect this or even the next version to be useful for much outside of gaming and media consumption. Neither of those VR features are innovative, it's the traditional focus, but Apple is more likely than most to move this into compelling AR uses as 3rd party developers become more creative. 

All that is simply opinion. Yours is too. It's a bit early to claim either, or neither of us is more accurate about how it plays out. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 134 of 245
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Craig said VP is a new class of computer. He called it a spatial computer. I think it is more appropriate to call it a computer for the eye, a vision computer. 
  • Reply 135 of 245
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    gatorguy said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

Dude, it's gatorguy, what did you expect? If he said he loved it, we'd all need to press him to get a brain MRI, stat, to find the tumor.
    Right on. I’m not familiar with him or his brand of negativity. 
    You've confused realistic with negative. Apple may well have a hit on its hands with future iterations, and if anyone can be successful with it, it's Apple. But it's not this version of it. 
    You are often realistic, but your original comment is not. I can't think of a new product category demo from Apple that has been more "fully hatched" than Apple Vision Pro, but it kinda had to be because of the product category they're going into.
    MacProdanoxAlex_Vbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 136 of 245
    Always wanted to watch Disney catalogue on isolating Minority Report inspired device. 
  • Reply 137 of 245
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    welshdog said:
    This is a VERY Apple device. Those saying otherwise are just being willfully contrary. Everything about it screams Apple - both inside and out.

That being said, it's not for me - I seem to have a limit on how much tech interaction I can handle. I couldn't even manage to wear an Apple watch for more than a couple weeks before I put it on my dresser and forgot about it.
    Bruh. Steve Jobs would fire the staffers pushing a freaking headset for one. Then add a wire that dangles down your body. Then add a stupid power pack that you have to wear on your waist. It’s quite ridiculous. There were a thousand “no’s” that needed to happen but didn’t. 

The design looks like a Microsoft product. Super clunky. It’s just a riff off of what other people have made, but with better specs. It doesn’t really do anything different or transform anything - and it uses Unity for 3D when the rest of the world is using the vastly superior unreal engine 5 (Epic being turds notwithstanding). 

The only “appley” thing about it is the watch ui rip. And I’m… it uses glass. The design isn’t nice. It’s basically the same design as everything else with a bit of change, more expensive materials, and the fisher price tension mechanism. Looks even more like scuba gear with “eyesight” active, which is the biggest waste of battery power. Unbelievable they spent so much on “hey. Look at a fake version of my eyes from outside. Oh. Wait. I’m watching a movie… now look at color blobs from outside.” What the…no wonder you have to lug around a battery pack. Wonder how many washes to get the head grease out. 

Just because it is made by Apple doesn’t mean you have to turn off your brain. 

As I mentioned prior to the event, it turned out to be the best headset so far. But… it’s still a headset. And they’re just not that big a deal. You can put lipstick on a headset… but it’s still a headset. 

You didn't say anything of significance or value. Or truth for that matter.
    xixobaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 138 of 245
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Xed said:

I still don't know yet whether Apple Vision is for me, but it's definitely a brilliant level of engineering.
    It is. The amount of thought that went into it is obvious.
    But I also feel comfortable stating that Apple is not going into this expecting consumers to embrace this first version. It has its limitations for the price being demanded. it will be close to a year before even this one comes to the market, so look towards what 2025 brings. 
    xixoradarthekat
  • Reply 139 of 245
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    techconc said:
    Here are my initial thoughts...

Positives
    • On the positive side, I do believe Apple will bring a best in class product to market.  As this type of device goes, this does look pretty cool (for what it is).
    Negatives
    • Apple continues to completely miss the boat on gaming.  The demo should have feature a AAA game as a reference for what is possible for others.  A vague mention of Apple Arcade doesn't cut it. 
    • "Starting price" of $3499 pretty much makes this a non-starter from the majority of people who don't actually need a device like this.  
    Maybe at half the price, with some future version maybe based on something like an M5 chip and a large catalog of games, etc. would this be compelling for me.  I'm curious to try it, but doubt I'd get one anytime soon (after it's released).

My gaming PC cost over $6,000 and then there is the 4K monitor.  This is to play about five games.  $3,500 for this is a bargain for all the things it can do.
    RudeBoyRudyxixobaconstangradarthekatAlex_Vaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 140 of 245
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    danox said:
    MacPro said:
    The price is insane.
    Compared to what?
    Compared to Meta’s soon to be discontinued product.
    LOL.
    xixoradarthekatwatto_cobra