Apple shows off next generation CarPlay in Porsche and Aston Martin cars

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2023

Slipping in underneath the wire, Apple has met it's "end of 2023" deadline, with Porsche and Aston Martin showing off its massively updated CarPlay for driver information systems.

Apple is working with Porsche to customize CarPlay (Source: Apple)
Apple is working with Porsche to customize CarPlay (Source: Apple)

Originally -- and unusually -- shown off as a sneak peek, Apple presented its vision for the future of CarPlay at WWDC in June 2022. Instead of being solely an infotainment system, the new CarPlay would entirely replace dashboards and driver information clusters.

It was seen at the time as partly an attempt to keep car manufacturers from abandoning CarPlay, although that seems to have failed as a trend all by itself. Nonetheless, Apple promised that the new CarPlay would begin to be in cars by late 2023 -- and now it is just barely managing to make that deadline.

According to Cool Hunting, Apple has announced that Porsche and Aston Martin will use the new system -- albeit in distinctly different customized ways.

"With the next generation of CarPlay," Apple's Vice President of Human Interface Design Alan Dye told the publication, "we partnered with automakers to design an entirely new, unified experience that enables the very best of Apple and each particular automaker."

A wider view of CarPlay in an Aston Martin car (Source: Apple)
A wider view of CarPlay in an Aston Martin car (Source: Apple)

"It is a blend of a user's personal experience of iPhone paired with a celebration of the strong brand identity of each automaker," he continued.

"The next generation of CarPlay also introduces a driving experience that leverages the advanced capabilities of the car along with the power of iPhone," said Dye. "We've designed a complete system of controls that allows for seamless interactions between vehicle functions alongside the features of iPhone."

Apple has also shown images of what the new CarPlay will look like in the two different cars, although they are said to be preliminary.

"We have long been committed to providing Porsche owners with the brand and sporty driving experience synonymous with the Porsche," said Michael Mauer, Porsche's Vice President of Style. "In addition to the sports car itself, digital offerings that are perfectly tailored to our customers are becoming increasingly important to the overall driving experience."

A wider view of CarPlay in a Porsche car (Source: Apple)
A wider view of CarPlay in a Porsche car (Source: Apple)

"We recently brought the My Porsche app to CarPlay to provide drivers with even easier access to car functionality, and in the future we will be adding support for the next generation of CarPlay to Porsche models," continued Mauer. "We look forward to delivering an experience that adds the personal touch of a driver's iPhone to the exclusivity of a Porsche."

Customizing CarPlay for Porsche

Cool Hunting

reports that the Porsche version of CarPlay has been adapted to feature the company's distinctive three-dial layout, including the speedometer.

Circular graphics abound in this version, and it's an intentional nod to the gauges that have historically always featured in Porsche cars.

These three dials appear directly in front of the driver, but to the side of the steering wheel there is also a more familiar CarPlay arrangement of music and other apps.

Customizing CarPlay for Aston Martin

"At Aston Martin we strive for excellence and performance and this was the key reason we chose to partner with Apple on the next generation of CarPlay," said Marco Mattiacci, Global Chief Brand and Commercial Officer. "The integration of the latest state-of-the-art technology combined with a bespoke intuitive interface is paramount to creating the ultimate Aston Martin customer experience."

With Aston Martin, the customization of CarPlay has it appearing in part as a two-dial system to match the firm's minimalist design. It's also an acknowledgement of the car maker's history, as is how the controls are accented with British racing green.

The Aston Martin driver information system will also include a tachometer that features the text, "Handbuilt in Great Britain."

Aston Martin says that the new CarPlay will be introduced into its lineup during 2024. Porsche has not announced a launch date for its implementation.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Dang. Looks awesome. Especially dig the Aston Martin example. 

Was looking at an X5, but may have to go for one of these bad boys instead. 

Glad some companies recognize that consumer choice is the way to go. 

Buh bye, GM! 
    gregoriusmeriamjhAfarstarStrangeDaysjwdawsobloggerblogappleinsideruser40domiwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Very very cool.  This solidifies my reasoning to never buy (or rent if I can help it) a car without CarPlay support.

I wonder if Apple is letting, or going to let, automakers have a CarPlay OS (or maybe part of it) to run on their automotive computers.  Might help with all the displays since CarPlay is getting so extensive in the vehicle.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 43

If you were looking at an X5, I'm not sure an AM is in your price range.
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobraMplsPgatorguy
  • Reply 4 of 43
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I’m confused. Is the Phone powering the car’s display of non-CarPlay apps? Is a phone required? I understand how the communication bus contains all the info that is displayed, but where does the car’s display start and end and what does CarPlay add to it? Is it just a framework for the graphics?
    williamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Electric Porsche 918 - Boxster/Cayman probably? Interesting development. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    What about the 99% of us that don’t have that kind of money?
    edited December 2023 Alex1NFileMakerFellerwilliamlondon9secondkox2ForumPostAulaniwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    bluefire1 said:
    We get 16 bit greyscale but it's going to be snappy!  ;)

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 
    Alex1NFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamForumPostbyronlMplsPjony0
  • Reply 8 of 43
    This is what Apple M-series chips are targeted for and why even thought M1 chip for the typical computer user hit the point of diminishing return Apple keeps pushing M-series performance.   Apple's focus is on autonomous vehicles, robotics, AI, and AR and the Apple M-series chip are there first step in that direction.   

As for Apple CarPlay when I bought a new car this year I want to get a car that supported Apple and Android car play.   So I get my car and at first didn't setup car play I used the default system in the car because I was used to it from my previous car.   After a couple weeks I switched over to Apple CarPlay and that only lasted for a few weeks.   I noticed it was a of stuff I didn't use, but then I started noticing my battery was draining much faster and my data usage on my cell phone went sky high.  What in the hell is Apple doing in the background that is draining the battery and consuming bandwidth with my cell provider.    I switched back to the default system in my car which I think is called AAOS and no more battery drain and high data usage and it does everything I need and a nice basic interface.    
    byronlgatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Maybe we just have to tape our iphone to the dash, ehehehe
    williamlondoneriamjhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Toortog said:
    After a couple weeks I switched over to Apple CarPlay and that only lasted for a few weeks.   I noticed it was a of stuff I didn't use, but then I started noticing my battery was draining much faster and my data usage on my cell phone went sky high.  What in the hell is Apple doing in the background that is draining the battery and consuming bandwidth with my cell provider.    
    Sounds like you may be using Wireless CarPlay. The vehicle I have (a Ford) has USB ports that I use for CarPlay, which also keep the phone charged. Haven’t noticed any substantial cell use apart from when I’m streaming music/podcasts, possibly the fact that yours is wireless means it relies on data more.
    danoxappleinsideruserForumPostwatto_cobrabyronljony0
  • Reply 11 of 43

If you were looking at an X5, I'm not sure an AM is in your price range.

LOL. Found the old, jealous person. 

Has nothing to do with price range. More to do with driving. Was really into the amg g63. Then I drove it. I actually like the Audi qrs8 better than the Mercedes in terms of driving. But the x5 is just the right size, has the look I like, and handles pretty great. To be clear, I’m talking x5 M competition. I bought my gf her dream car, the z4 m40i, and that’s an impressive little car. But I’m an SUV guy. 

The Aston dbx is definitely more expensive, but not a reach (though it gets into less than comfortable territory) I’ve just never been that into Aston. But a full on Apple takeover? That may be worth the price difference. Only know after a drive. 

Also, for sake of signs of intelligent life, both Porsche and Aston were mentioned as far as possibilities go. But I liked the Aston screenshot better. Not a fan of the cheap looking grid background on the Porsche screenshot (though I imagine it’s changeable). 

:)
    edited December 2023 jwdawso40domiwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 43
    eriamjh said:
    I’m confused. Is the Phone powering the car’s display of non-CarPlay apps? Is a phone required? I understand how the communication bus contains all the info that is displayed, but where does the car’s display start and end and what does CarPlay add to it? Is it just a framework for the graphics?
    Right now, CarPlay is primarily an interface for your phone data to appear on a car entertainment display.

Going forward, for the car brands that support it, much of the cars performance data and 'optional' controls are funneled to the iPhone, which then take over multiple displays within the car -including the instrument cluster.

The difference is that current CarPlay runs on the entertainment portion of the car, future CarPlay takes over the instrument cluster for speed/performance info display and other car functions like taking over the heat/cooling controls, etc.

In the event CarPlay is not in use, the car has a default set of display stuff.
    edited December 2023 40domiwatto_cobrabyronlMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 43
    bluefire1 said:
    Call and write to GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. and make your voice heard. Spam their social media, etc. 

most people won’t be looking at Porsche, Aston, bmw, etc. 

America is usually the one that stands for freedom and consumer choice. Ford isn’t doing enough and GM… well, that’s just a story for Halloween parties. 

Do people trust GM with their data? Or Apple - you know, the company people already trust and use. 

No one wants yet another OS/media system to learn snd ut up with. Give them what they know, love, and already pay to have the privilege of using.
    jwdawso40domiwatto_cobrabyronlMplsP
  • Reply 14 of 43
    avon b7 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    We get 16 bit greyscale but it's going to be snappy!  ;)

I would imagine (just like with the Vision Pro) that this is aimed at a small market segment to iron out wrinkles and try different options first and roll out to other models later. 

It's also possible that CarPlay with more tentacles digging into the vehicle is proving a hard sell. 
    Not a hard sell when it’s not invading anything. It’s just send/receive. 

Probably a relief. Driver has an issue/question? Send them over to apple customer support. Nice. 

Not only that, but with more and more vehicles being software driven - even major functions, automakers are challenged by the difficulty in creating truly secure/reliable systems - see the GM/edmunds review. With CarPlay, they’d get top notch, reliable, secure, aesthetic software from the #1 trusted company that has proven itself to be the best at global scale over and over - with install bases the automakers can only dream of and will never attain. 

And this is the fallacy of GM and others forgoing CarPlay. They aren’t software companies. They make cars. And sometimes even their cars aren’t great. The software is an add on. And it looks and feels like it. With apple, they live and breath soctware. It’s better to contract with them. People already love their iOS experience. They will love that part of your car. Force them into your wannabe version and most people either hate it or put up with it. Why not turn that anspect of the car your trying to sell into a plus? 
    edited December 2023 jwdawsowatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 43
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    VCRandom said:
    eriamjh said:
    Right now, CarPlay is primarily an interface for your phone data to appear on a car entertainment display.

Going forward, for the car brands that support it, much of the cars performance data and 'optional' controls are funneled to the iPhone, which then take over multiple displays within the car -including the instrument cluster.

The difference is that current CarPlay runs on the entertainment portion of the car, future CarPlay takes over the instrument cluster for speed/performance info display and other car functions like taking over the heat/cooling controls, etc.

In the event CarPlay is not in use, the car has a default set of display stuff.
    CarPlay is a huge deal. My view is that Apple should give these early adopters every possible assistance, including licenses sans fees and deep technical support at every level. These companies should be rewarded in every possible way for at least including CarPlay even if only at a higher level. Except for Tesla, EV manufacturers do not have the capacity to create their own driver facing operating systems and opt (almost?) entirely for android, which can be buggy, slow and ripe for hacking. The low-level real-time operating systems that control vehicle functioning have been developed over decades and are very, very refined and reliable. If only Volvo and some of the other manufacturers would offer CarPlay as an option. Apple could do very well with CarPlay even without introducing their own vehicles.
    ForumPost40domiwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 16 of 43
    eriamjh said:
    The screenshots seem to indicate that it’s at least  ui for not only infotainment, but actual function, such as climate control, power seating, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Has anyone considered there is already too much computerization in cars?   We’ve been watching dashboards made of quality materials and craftsmanship being replaced by mass market touchscreens.  Is this truly good for the automotive industry and consumer?  Do i really need all this and to know somebody texted me while i’m driving and enjoying the outside world? I actually just heard that VW and others are going back to tactile knobs and controls. There is a time to enjoy driving and a time to monitor phone. I rest my case.
    edited December 2023 ForumPost
  • Reply 18 of 43
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    M68000 said:
    Has anyone considered there is already too much computerization in cars?   We’ve been watching dashboards made of quality craftsmanship being replaced by touchscreens.  Is this truly good for the automotive industry and consumer?  Do i really need all this and to know somebody texted me while i’m driving and enjoying the outside world? I actually just heard that VW and others are going back to tactile knobs and controls. There is a time to enjoy driving and a time to monitor phone. I rest my case.
    Likely many drivers, myself included, would be happy with much less distraction (and I include having to look left or right to see one's speed as a distraction). Interesting then that a writer for one popular(?) EV web site claims that the greater level of functionality has been demanded by drivers. More likely EV manufacturers trying hard to differentiate their cars from the opposition. One now has hundreds of LEDs lighting up the faux grill - for whose benefit, not the owner's?
    ForumPost40domiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Very very cool.  This solidifies my reasoning to never buy (or rent if I can help it) a car without CarPlay support.

I wonder if Apple is letting, or going to let, automakers have a CarPlay OS (or maybe part of it) to run on their automotive computers.  Might help with all the displays since CarPlay is getting so extensive in the vehicle.
    Lol,  we completely disagree, carplay or any other infotainment system is the last reason to decide on a vehicle. It’s absolutely not important. I already have an iphone, i don’t need or want my car to be an iphone LOL. There are things about cars that are much more important than supporting a cellphone.  You don’t understand that.  But okay, it is what it is.
    edited December 2023 9secondkox2sandorgatorguy
  • Reply 20 of 43
    M68000 said:

Lol,  we completely disagree, carplay or any other infotainment system is the last reason to decide on a vehicle. It’s absolutely not important. I already have an iphone, i don’t need or want my car to be an iphone LOL. There are things about cars that are much more important than supporting a cellphone.  You don’t understand that.  But okay, it is what it is.
    LOL. We definitely disagree. A car is just another part of someone’s lifestyle. If someone is into media/music, etc. and utilizes the iPhone ecosystem to take part in these things, it can be a dealbreaker - especially since CarPlay is already a big part of peoples lives. If you’re shopping for an SUV, you can narrow it down to three models from various manufacturers. Then… one of them doesn’t offer CarPlay. Boom. That one is out of consideration. Off the list. Done. It’s a much bigger deal than you think. More than ever, consumers know what’s available to them and don’t need a certain brand to get it. A Toyota guy will buy Hyundai if it means he’s getting what he wants. 
    jwdawsodarbus69charlesnlordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobrabyronl