Do you refridgerate your ketchup?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know most people do but my family does not. The ketchup doesn't go bad or anything, and i was jw, because cold ketchup seems pointless to me especially when u put it on hot food...why would you want it to cool down your food?



The same goes for mustard
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 49
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It changes to some degree. My ffrig has plenty of open space in it so why not?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    It changes to some degree. My ffrig has plenty of open space in it so why not?



    you mean so depending on room you either do or don't?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    OF course i keep the ketchup in the fridge. How else can i maintain a high energy bill?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess we don't go through it too fast. We has some in the cabinet that we "forgot" about. It was very dark in color but I think we used it and didn't notice anything wrong
  • Reply 5 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by xterra48

    OF course i keep the ketchup in the fridge. How else can i maintain a high energy bill?



    haha







    scott, what do you mean 'dark in color'? hah was it in a hot place or somethign because we dont refridgerate as i said and it stays the same color
  • Reply 6 of 49
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm sure over the many months is was up there it was "hot". Plus it was unopened. Figure that one out?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    TOO freaky (by the way, yes...I keep my ketchup in the fridge).



    Anyway (the freaky part) I was getting my ketchup out earlier (had hot dogs for dinner) and dropped it on the kitchen floor. It burst on the bottom (split and made a gash). Ketchup went everywhere in about a 2ft. radius splatter that the CSI gang would've LOVED to have seen.







    It was a plastic Heinz bottle, so no dangerous glass breakage. But the bottle was beyond being saved, so into the garbage it went. Did I have a backup one in the cabinet? Why, yes I did.







    Moral of the story: don't drop your ketchup bottle and let it split open when you're wearing light khaki pants.



  • Reply 8 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    that was a good story...did it bother you to use warm ketchup?





    on a similar story i...ahh nm since u probably dont know the food i'd be talkign about adn i'd have to explain i'll jsut let it go
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Ketchup = Refrigerator

    Tomato = No Refrigerator



    Not sure what my rationale is since Ketchup is just Tomatoes with other tidbits that don't go bad thrown in AFAIK.



    Also, I'm slightly unclear on why I use Ketchup and not Catsup, but I do.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ast3r3x

    that was a good story...did it bother you to use warm ketchup?



    Yeah, a little. A real hot, uh, hot dog and a warm steamy bun are always nicely offset by a cold shot of ketchup and mustard (still had cold mustard, so it all worked out).



  • Reply 11 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

    Ketchup = Refrigerator

    Tomato = No Refrigerator



    Not sure what my rationale is since Ketchup is just Tomatoes with other tidbits that don't go bad thrown in AFAIK.



    Also, I'm slightly unclear on why I use Ketchup and not Catsup, but I do.




    haha least you have good rational





    what is catsup and ketchup?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Also I strongly disagree on your condemnation of differing temperatures. For instance, who would want nice warm lettuce on your chicken tacos. No one. It's morally repugnant.



    Cool Ketchup and Mustard on Hot Dogs is an imperative for the modern renaissance man. These strongly contrasted temperatures serve to reinforce the truism that opposites attract in particular for heterosexual males who wish for that sort of reaffirmation of gender roles which the male might happen to be questioning after he has just devoured a wiener.



    Although really we should all just be eating Johnsonville Beer and Bratwursts constantly and having coronaries at age 37.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

    Also I strongly disagree on your condemnation of differing temperatures. For instance, who would want nice warm lettuce on your chicken tacos. No one. It's morally repugnant.



    Cool Ketchup and Mustard on Hot Dogs is an imperative for the modern renaissance man. These strongly contrasted temperatures serve to reinforce the truism that opposites attract in particular for heterosexual males who wish for that sort of reaffirmation of gender roles which the male might happen to be questioning after he has just devoured a wiener.



    Although really we should all just be eating Johnsonville Beer and Bratwursts constantly and having coronaries at age 37.




    i'll be glad to eat a piece of lettuce when its warm as long as its still crips and green as before...ketchup however doesn't change with temperature
  • Reply 14 of 49
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't like ketchup. In fact, no one in my family does. We have Heinz 57 sauce, or barbeque sauce for my little brother. We refrigerate those.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    I sure do; is it not cool to keep the ketchup in the fridge anymore?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,122member
    I don't use ketchup, but when i was young my mother used to buy some, and it was stored in the fridge.

    Now i store mustard in fridge while open, the non open one are stored at normal temperature.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Ugh.



    I work at a restaurant.



    The ketchups are recombined constantly so that you rarely get a "new" ketchup bottle.



    Kinda sick when you consider it might not be 100% ketchup if you get my drift...



    (Especially if you come in 10 minutes before closing!)
  • Reply 18 of 49
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Definitely refrigerated. Nothing finer than a piping hot grilled cheese sandwich dipped in cold ketchup. Mmmmm.



    And does anyone out there own up to buying non-Heinz ketchup for home? I was at a restaurant the other day and the ketchup bottles on the table were some company-label brand made by Sysco (giant foodservice/restaurant supply company). Low class. I admit it ... I'm a ketchup snob.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Whataburger has the best ketchup. It has a lot of vinegar.



    mmmmm



    If they sold that in bottles I would buy it fo' sho'.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I put it in the fridge, where do you keep you maple syrup bottles?
Sign In or Register to comment.