Do you refridgerate your ketchup?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Nope, my ketchup lies on the shelves thw whole day.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Keep it out of the fridge myself! I cannot stand ketchup that is icy cold on hot food! eewwww
  • Reply 23 of 49
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    refrigerate. i always assumed you were supposed to but i looked on the bottle and it doesn't say to
  • Reply 24 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Nope, my ketchup lies on the shelves thw whole day.

haha yes, somone that makes me look less weird i thank you!
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

refrigerate. i always assumed you were supposed to but i looked on the bottle and it doesn't say to

oops this was supposed to be for somone else...which you will see appearing under this shortly...but does it say you are not supposed to...i'll check when i get home...if it does i can't wait to tell all my friends who thought i was weird!

i thought it said that you were SUPPOSED to refridgerate
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Keep it out of the fridge myself! I cannot stand ketchup that is icy cold on hot food! eewwww

my thought exactly...i guess differenet things for different weird people
  • Reply 27 of 49
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i never knew there was an option about it; i thought it had to be refridgerated when opened. we keep an open bottle in the fridge and an extra (or three) at room temperature. i always prefer opening a new bottle though, because I don't much like cold ketchup. Whenever i get mikkyd's, i love how their ketchup packets are ripe with luke-warmth. I used to keep those packets stored in a cabinet so I wouldn't have to endur the cold, ruthless "taste" of chilled ketchup. now that i know its an option, i'm going to try to take the ketchup out of the fridge and into its riteful place, the cabinet.

i think catsup is the same item, just made by a different brand (perhaps the word 'ketchup' was trademarked or something). only old people seem to refer to it now [mr. burns, "ketchup... catsup... ketchup... catsup... i'm in over my head"]. and, in other ketchup related news: does everybody know the 57 trick? if you hold a heinz bottle at 57 degrees (with the outdented 57 pointing upwards) and bang downwardly onto the 57, you can start the flow of ketchup of a stubborn glass bottle.

and, in an uninteresting side note, we also store extra syrups warm in my house, but opened we fridge them. but when using it, I warm it under a hot stream of water from the faucet [lest it should over chill my french toast].
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i never knew there was an option about it; i thought it had to be refridgerated when opened. we keep an open bottle in the fridge and an extra (or three) at room temperature. i always prefer opening a new bottle though, because I don't much like cold ketchup. Whenever i get mikkyd's, i love how their ketchup packets are ripe with luke-warmth. I used to keep those packets stored in a cabinet so I wouldn't have to endur the cold, ruthless "taste" of chilled ketchup. now that i know its an option, i'm going to try to take the ketchup out of the fridge and into its riteful place, the cabinet.

i think catsup is the same item, just made by a different brand (perhaps the word 'ketchup' was trademarked or something). only old people seem to refer to it now [mr. burns, "ketchup... catsup... ketchup... catsup... i'm in over my head"]. and, in other ketchup related news: does everybody know the 57 trick? if you hold a heinz bottle at 57 degrees (with the outdented 57 pointing upwards) and bang downwardly onto the 57, you can start the flow of ketchup of a stubborn glass bottle.

and, in an uninteresting side note, we also store extra syrups warm in my house, but opened we fridge them. but when using it, I warm it under a hot stream of water from the faucet [lest it should over chill my french toast].

i didn't know about the 57 trick although i only use plastic unless at a restraunt

and we store syrup in teh cabinets too, not in the fridge...it does not go bad or get hard/crystalized (like honey does after a couple months)

so go forth and store your ketchup and syrup in ur cabinet and tell me what you think in a little while

*sigh*oh the people i've helped
  • Reply 29 of 49
    I do. Warm Ketchup? Yuck!
  • Reply 30 of 49
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dude, if ketchup cools down your food, you're using about 10 tablespoons too much.

• Reply 31 of 49
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    My favorite ketchup is from Trader Joe's...TJs is a Southern California supermarket .. this ketchup is their own brand....and the directive on the label is to "refrigerate after opening". That may be because it doesn't contain "long shelf life" preserving agents....thats just a guess. But it is the best ketchup on the planet!

What is the difference between ketchup and catsup, if any?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Definitely refrigerated. Nothing finer than a piping hot grilled cheese sandwich dipped in cold ketchup. Mmmmm.

And does anyone out there own up to buying non-Heinz ketchup for home? I was at a restaurant the other day and the ketchup bottles on the table were some company-label brand made by Sysco (giant foodservice/restaurant supply company). Low class. I admit it ... I'm a ketchup snob.

on grilled cheese! Ugh!!!

And I thought I was weird for putting ketchup on chicken.

On another aside, there was an article in the WSJ about a year ago about restaurants refilling Heinz ketchup bottles with non-Heinz ketchup, which Heinz was trying (unsuccessfully) to stop.

Yes, I use "generic" ketchup and brand name coffee.

And I store Maple Syrup in the refigerator because it says on the bottle "refrigerate after opening." My husband finds this strange and moves the syrup back into the pantry whenever he comes across it.

Ah, thank you for this thread. I needed the laugh. I still haven't quite recovered from the cat using my head as a stepping stone to the dresser over and over again the night before last. I woke up in a foul mood and then my maple-syrup-belongs-in-the-pantry husband said just the wrong thing and I had visions of beating him with the cat--kinda killing two birds with one stone, if you get my drift.

But now I am better.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

My favorite ketchup is from Trader Joe's...TJs is a Southern California supermarket .. this ketchup is their own brand....and the directive on the label is to "refrigerate after opening". That may be because it doesn't contain "long shelf life" preserving agents....thats just a guess. But it is the best ketchup on the planet!

What is the difference between ketchup and catsup, if any?

They also have Trader Joe's up in Seattle, but I've never tried their ketchup.

According to the dictionary, catsup is from Malay "kechap", a spiced fish sauce and dates back to 1690; ketchup is simply a spelling variation. Webster's 9e lists "ketchup" as the variation, but the online edition lists them just opposite.

more? try here!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Yes I refrigerate my ketchup. I also put my peanut butter in the fridge. Not sure why though...
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

Yes I refrigerate my ketchup. I also put my peanut butter in the fridge. Not sure why though...

haha people are fridge happy
  • Reply 36 of 49
    i just check

ketchup (heinz) = nothing said about refridgeration

-i don't

mustard (french's) = refridgerate

-ibdon't

syrup (mrs. butterworths) = no need to refridgerate

-i don't
  • Reply 37 of 49
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    google is your friend.

http://www.ketchup.wonderland.org/faq.html

Quote:

What's the difference between Ketchup and Catsup? And what is Fancy Ketchup?

Well, this one is up for debate. As far as I am concerned they are the same thing. Catsup is a sauce, Ketchup is a sauce. One opinion I heard that was Catsup was the less commercial far tastier version of Ketchup. As for Fancy Ketchup, I would be keen to hear from people with some opinions, but I think Fancy Ketchup is similar to Catsup, again just another name.

Should Ketchup be refridgerated?

From personal experience my ketchup has survived outside of the fridge very well. I have never seen mouldy ketchup probably because I eat it too quickly. I tend to place my ketchup bottles in the fridge only because I now prefer the taste of cold ketchup over warm ketchup. So, No, you don't have to, but eat it within a few months.

• Reply 38 of 49
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I refridgerate mine, and now that I checked...

• Reply 39 of 49
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Yeah I refridgerate me' ketchup.

But, I keep my bread in the fridge too...

Yet, I can't stand cold food.

Unless it needs to be cold, like ice cream or something. But that's a given. At least I hope it is.

I digress.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I refridgerate mine, and now that I checked...

This brings up another important point.

Do you use up all your ketchup before the date stamped on the lid?