iTunes 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    AAC IS mp4 right?

Wouldn't it be better marketing to CALL it mp4...it sounds "better".

Also Stevie says aac is better than mp3 is it?

Should i re-import all my cds in aac?
  • Reply 22 of 108
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

AAC IS mp4 right?

Wouldn't it be better marketing to CALL it mp4...it sounds "better".

You are correct, it would sound better, however mp4 is a video standard. mp3 is really mp1 audio layer 3.

aac is the(an?) audio layer to mp4
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Personally I´m done with this platform
  • Reply 24 of 108
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Well Anders don't let the door hit ya...where the good Lord split ya!

• Reply 25 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

0.o you're switching to a PC? YOU TRAITOR!
  • Reply 26 of 108
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    iTunes now has the 16th note in green. I guess Apple hope for lots of music downloads!
  • Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

iTunes now has the 16th note in green. I guess Apple hope for lots of music downloads!

lol... Those are a pair of 8th notes... 16th notes would have an additional flag...
  • Reply 28 of 108
    Kinda OT here but all we need now is an updated iChat.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    CPU time is much reduced. I have gone from circa 10% on a dual 867 to about 3%

YMMV

low-fi
  • Reply 30 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Hmm, cunning, Apple: change the smaller font size to 9pt so my display looks disgusting until I turn the smoothing down...

Okay, further thoughts now I'm ripping a CD:

Tracks end up as m4a files, which is more marketable than aac (sounds a bit more like mp3), and represent roughly a 2/3 saving in file-size.

The new buttons make sense: they're the same style as Safari (though Quicktime Player hasn't changed: at least my Pro registration hasn't gone south), but why are all the ones at the bottom of the window (which is starting to look cluttered) exactly the same as before? Looks rather bitty, and the artwork button is a less-than-intuitive icon.

Hate the green note in the application icon...

Oh, and Amazon's servers are going to take a huge hit from people "downloading" cover artwork. Nice feature, not sure how much use I'll give it.

Definite double-plus-good to the hugely reduced processor overhead (until you turn visuals on, anyway), and the rip speed is pretty darn good.

Oh, and if I rip everything as AAC (which I think I'll probably want to do, just to cram more tunes in), it's going to make life very, very interesting when I want to DJ in Traktor... at least until such time as they make that app AAC-capable

Stay tuned.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    iTunes is now Cocoa? iTunes 4 ROCKS. And I mean this is free software.

However the buttons kinda suck. They're not too bad, I just prefer the old ones. They look slick but day in and day out they look like they'll get old. And eeeeww the green icon! I wanted red! Brad, Amorph, any other takers for a new icon?
  • Reply 32 of 108
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    whats with the new font? ewww...

as for OGG and ACC

ACC is the next generation of mp3... it is the right direction to be moving...
  • Reply 33 of 108
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Paul - it's AAC
  • Reply 34 of 108
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

iTunes is now Cocoa? iTunes 4 ROCKS. And I mean this is free software.

Still Carbon. I think my favorite color was blue for the icon.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Paul - it's AAC

lol {postcount ++}
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

lol {postcount ++}

lol {ditto}
  • Reply 37 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

whats with the new font? ewww...

That was my initial reaction. Do this: System Preferences > General: set the font smoothing to 8 pt, and it looks alright again: the font hasn't changed, just the size.

Funny how used to anti-aliased text you get, eh?
  • Reply 38 of 108
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    So what AAC encoding will be best if I want the sound to be the same as the CD? I currently rip..oooh..I mean acquire...(come on good karma) MP3's at 192 and I think that they sound good.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by bperkins

So what AAC encoding will be best if I want the sound to be the same as the CD? I currently rip..oooh..I mean acquire...(come on good karma) MP3's at 192 and I think that they sound good.

128 kbps AAC will probably sound about the same as 192 MP3s. Just try it and hear for yourself.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I am assuming that all the music available in the new music store are all .mp4/AAC format only, correct?

At which point, my Rio becomes absolutely worthless without a firmware update.

Oh, also, I don't see the point of re-ripping all 2500+ songs of mine to .mp4. Wonderful, I get a few Kbps of improvement which I don't really hear as it is.

Meh 2 cents. It's great for the people who were looking forward to it. I think that such a music service could appeal to a large number of switchers out there.