iTunes 4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geraldo

I'm a lot paranoid about this. All new downloads and rips using iPod/iTunes are AAC? Do you still have a choice to rip with MP3? And will home studio and recording musicians only be able to load their own stuff on to 3 authorized computers if they use iTunes for compression?? What about your existing library? Do you have to convert everything to AAC??

I am not downloading anything until I have more answers. This sounds like Jobs has finally sucumbed to senility if he thinks people (especially Mac users) will give up their ability to freely record music and freely distribute it. I'm not liking this at all. I don't see anyone here taking even a slightly suspicious view of this. Don't any of you have questions? Are you all lemmings?

you still have the option to rip to mp3 if you want. you don't have to convert anything. in fact, mp3 is still the default encoder.

only music purchased through the itunes store is subject to the 3 computer limit. it is specially tagged as such. what you rip by yourself isn't tagged.

no need to be paranoid here.
  • Reply 82 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

The new iFace is horrible. The style that is currently applied to the upper controls (fast forward, play, etc.) should be applied to the lower controls (show visual and such.) Should have left the upper controls alone, or maybe Jaguar-ized (plastic->glass) them.

I agree completely. I also wish they had made the new font an option in the prefs. I hate non anti-aliased fonts with a vengence. IMO they should have recessed the play buttons, et al, but left them with the "glass" look.

Quote:

Uggh. And the volume slider sucks too.

No kidding. A lite-up blue dot in the middle? Errr....what have those Apple software/GUI people been smoking?

• Reply 83 of 108
    Not getting 504 errors anymore. Store is running great. Just watched Sheryl Crow's music video too! Very high quality.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    about album art. There was a thread that popped up here a couple days ago about the program Clutter. if you run it while you are playing music in iTunes, it will automatically DL the album art from Amazon.com. Once you've got it that way, you can copy and paste it into iTunes
  • Reply 85 of 108
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AVALONdesign

Not getting 504 errors anymore. Store is running great. Just watched Sheryl Crow's music video too! Very high quality.

No kidding. Thank God I turned off one-click....
  • Reply 86 of 108
    I was surprised not to see this iTunes update and Quicktime update in Software Update, why wouldn't Apple put it there, for those people that don't go to Apple forums or the Apple homepage everyday.
  • Reply 87 of 108
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Does the visulizer do new cool stuff?
  • Reply 88 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Does the visulizer do new cool stuff?

Other than eating CPU cycles (80%!), not that I've noticed.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    FYI: regarding the aliased small font, it's just a smaller font (9 point), not that it's forcing the aliased look. I've heard (but didn't experience) that iTunes 4 changes the minimum anti-aliased font size to 9 points in your System Preferences' General pane. Just change that value to 8 points and it's all hunky-dory.

[added]The artwork management is mpreety nice too, if simple. It's under the info panel and can store a bunch of pictures of the album art and whatever else you drag onto the artwork pane under the source list.

The visuals are basically the same of course though it seems to have some new visuals (maybe I just haven't noticed) that look like galaxies, and onethat looked like the Dr. Who credits when I ran them.

There's a new(?) context menu item when you right-click on a song that shows you which playlists the song is in.

[added again] There's new BPM (beats per minute) field in the info options field.
  • Reply 90 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    The font in iTunes can still be anti-aliased.

Go to the system prefs -> General -> Turn off font smoothing for font sizes "8" and smaller.

Apple simply made the font in iTunes smaller. It is 8 point now, instead of 9.

If anyone cares...

[edit: Ahahahah...someone beat me by one minute. ]
  • Reply 91 of 108
    Well, I was having a problem getting rendevouz to load my Library on my G4 on my iBook...I thought it was because it was over a wireless connection so it was just too many songs or whatever...

Then I thought...hmm, firewall. That was it. Can anyone tell me what port iTunes streams over so I can add that to my firewall list?

Now I am happy, before I was mad. Just wish they had independent labels in the iTunes Store..
  • Reply 92 of 108
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Quote:

burn unlimited CDs of individual songs, and burn unchanged playlists up to 10 times each.

from apples website.

ewwww, me no like.... whats up with this?

I like listening to samples, so easy.
  • Reply 93 of 108
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Who's going to burn more than ten CDs of the exact same playlist?
  • Reply 94 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

from apples website.

ewwww, me no like.... whats up with this?

I like listening to samples, so easy.

This is so you can't mass produce them...I can't believe people are complaining about this...god...
  • Reply 95 of 108
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

we all the know the answer to that, and that's why that check is in place...
  • Reply 96 of 108
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too thought the minimum anti aliased size had to be changed to get the old look again.

However, it seems that the font is still the same.

Really... give it a shot. Change the system pref to 9 and then relaunch iTunes... The small font size in iTunes will then be aliased.

• Reply 97 of 108
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Most likely not. . . but i dunno, feeling limited is fearfull. "hmm, i would like my friend to hear these songs, but what if there is a more important cd to burn in a few years"

I'm being dumb i know, but the 'rule' seems dumber. and i have no homework tonight.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    [SARCASM] I wonder how many angels will fit on the head of a pin?? [/SARCASM]
  • Reply 99 of 108
    You just have to modify the play list.

Add another song to it or something.

They just don't want people downloading albums and redistributing them. If you're going to use a legal service legally, this really should be a non-issue.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    argh I can't get the store to work... I keep getting that the itunes music store could not process your request. I've been trying all day since lunchtime is it because its too busy? Other people seem to get it working just fine. I just want to buy music... why god why!?!! does this have to be sooo difficult?