iTunes 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    If only the cover art loaded when you popped in the cd like the song names....

Where is the best place to get cover art? Amazon?
  • Reply 62 of 108
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The music store constantly give me errors (mainly 504). So far I have only been able to sample one song. I guess to many people are using the service.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Hmm, looks like too many downloads... QT 6.2 was on the Quicktime download page when I got it.

Back to the bitrate experimentation: I just ripped an AIFF of one of my own tracks at 96kps AAC and I listening back to back with both the AIFF and a 192kps MP3 of the same, I can't hear a blind bit of difference.

As a rough guide, MP3 at 192kps works out at around 1.2MB/minute of track, AAC at 128kps at 1MB/minute and AAC at 96kps at 0.7MB/minute.

Now I just have to work out how long it's going to take to rip all my CDs...
  • Reply 64 of 108
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    After reading Spart's post I tried it again. Make that 6 downloads (partial then cancel) of 3.01.

Until it's back on Apples site, i ain't playing. Maybe something is wrong with the first 4.0. Waiting for 4.0.1?
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Care to give us non-iChat users a more detailed explaination of how to "go to AFTP?"

Please?

If you don´t have iChat it would be pretty hard

But if are only an inexperienced iChat user you go file -> Go to chat and then write "AFTP" and hit return. I am on that channel and are giving the two files left and right at the moment.

Not really actually. Noone has asked for my service yet.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

The music store constantly give me errors (mainly 504). So far I have only been able to sample one song. I guess to many people are using the service.

i got QT and iTunes 4 easily but i get 504 constnatly at the apple store, they better have it sorted out by 2night i watn to here samples of songs, i'll even maybe buy a couple cuz .99 is like an impulse buy haha
  • Reply 67 of 108
    Not unheard of.

That said, the UK Download page just started pumping iTunes 4.dmg at me...
  • Reply 68 of 108
    i can't get into the store i tried my imac account and it says but you've never been to the itunes store create new account. i create new account and it says no such email address or some such nonsense. i'm growing weary of this.

i'm going to acquisition.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

If you don´t have iChat it would be pretty hard

I've got iChat, but I never use it.

I'm getting iTunes 4 and I'll see you in iChat for QT 6.2

Thanks.
  • Reply 70 of 108
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Is the Music Store using Webcore to display html/xml store pages?

Cool.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    iTunes 4.0 is back up.
  • Reply 72 of 108
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Try and click on Window in the menu bar.

Press the right arrow, and it should normally go to Help, but it doesn't
  • Reply 73 of 108
    Yes it does, but you have to arrow twice. Looks like a whole menu is missing.

Weird.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Yes it does, but you have to arrow twice.

I know that, but that wasn't point!

The point is that there is a hidden menu.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Got 4.0. Woohoo!

Unless you log in you will get the error message. Unless you are already a one-click member (they have your credit card, address, etc on file) I don't think you will get to see the store. Please say if this is not true.

I got the error messages until I logged in (then had to create an account because my Apple ID used to be different, is now my .mac ID). All of my credit card info and address etc. were already filled out. This process just appears to be the way to merge your old ID with the new.

The music store is very simple. Everything is .99. This probably makes it easy as well for Apple, the Music companies and the artists to know what their percentages are.

If you have a fast connection, everything is instant on. Streams, selections, searches.

Don't go to the store if you ain't prepared to buy. It is dangerous in there! I will have to establish a budget in my house or this will get out of control in a hurry.
  • Reply 76 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Please say if this is not true.

I got on and I am not a .Mac user, nor do I have a 1-click account.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Got 4.0. Woohoo!

Don't go to the store if you ain't prepared to buy. It is dangerous in there! I will have to establish a budget in my house or this will get out of control in a hurry.

i know! i'm holding myself back with much force.

Apple has made it almost TOO easy.

on broadband this thing is addictive... instant streams, and downloading is super fast. i had a 23 song album in about 10 minutes. yikes.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I know that, but that wasn't point!

The point is that there is a hidden menu.

Clicking -Y like it said in the hidden menu brings up the normal iTunes prefs.

• Reply 79 of 108
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The new iFace is horrible. The style that is currently applied to the upper controls (fast forward, play, etc.) should be applied to the lower controls (show visual and such.) Should have left the upper controls alone, or maybe Jaguar-ized (plastic->glass) them.

Uggh. And the volume slider sucks too.
  • Reply 80 of 108
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    I'm a lot paranoid about this. All new downloads and rips using iPod/iTunes are AAC? Do you still have a choice to rip with MP3? And will home studio and recording musicians only be able to load their own stuff on to 3 authorized computers if they use iTunes for compression?? What about your existing library? Do you have to convert everything to AAC??

I am not downloading anything until I have more answers. This sounds like Jobs has finally sucumbed to senility if he thinks people (especially Mac users) will give up their ability to freely record music and freely distribute it. I'm not liking this at all. I don't see anyone here taking even a slightly suspicious view of this. Don't any of you have questions? Are you all lemmings?