Dixie Chicks takin' it off...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    P.S. Shut up you ugly beasts who don't think the Dixie Chicks are hot. What does your girlfriend look like?

• Reply 22 of 92
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I THOUGHT I heard the distinct ruffling of "whapita, whapita, whapita...".

I KNEW Shawn would dig the photo, of all people!

• Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

It's one big **** YOU to the country music establishment. Taking off your clothes is definitely a taboo among conservative country music listeners.

Easy now...I've never had a problem with anyone taking their clothes off. Depends on the situation, of course. But this conservative musician is all for a little skin, done right.

• Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Easy now...I've never had a problem with anyone taking their clothes off. Depends on the situation, of course. But this conservative musician is all for a little skin, done right.

That's great.

But a large majority of the country music listening to population thinks nudity is sinful.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Not the skanks I know.

But my grandmother and people of her age and background? Yeah, they frown on it, I'm sure. No question.

• Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:

True. I've said for a while now that - like it or not (and those of you who don't probably don't even know the first thing about country music, so...) - country is the one genre where you simply can't afford to come across that way.

ANYWAY, country music isn't like that. Not saying it's good or bad, right or wrong. Just saying that traditionally (in the same way rock has leaned a certain way), country has kinda countered that by leaning the OTHER way.

yep this is true, to exist in nashville you gotta kiss a lotta back sides. they already ruffle feathers by not putting out a new release every 6-9 months and demand a lot of artistic freedom. so i think their has been a large segment of the nashville brass waiting to come down on them.

here's what is ok to do;

you can beat up your wife, be constantly drunk, and not show up for gigs so much that they nick name you "no-show."

tax evade, marry a 14 year old cousin and have more than one wife die of dubious circumstances, and they nick-name you "killer."

jail time, hell jail time for anything is a badge of honor in many country circles.

just don't dis god or the flag, or you will be dealt with.

by the way i love george jones, i like jerry lee lewis, merle is great, in general i love country music, but man i'm not too keen on the dixie chicks, i don't know why, they just don't spark with me.

also i don't understand equating taking off your clothes with ignorance. i thought it was a metaphor for standing alone in a spotlight while heaps of abuse come at you from ignorant morons. it's not, if i let you see my boobies, will you like me again?

although judging some of the lot heaping abuse on them it might work, if not i suggest killing your husband and calling it a swimming pool accident........twice.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:

I THOUGHT I heard the distinct ruffling of "whapita, whapita, whapita...".

I KNEW Shawn would dig the photo, of all people!

ahh it took!!!
  • Reply 28 of 92
    I agree about the country thing, in what has been able to be gotten away with and what hasn't.

I do, however, think it's of note that the things you spoke of (George Jones and his bottle battles, Jerry Lee's foul-ups, etc.) are pretty much way in the past. Yeah, Jones wrecked his SUV a couple of years ago, but before that he'd been pretty clean and low-key.

But country music TODAY, as an industry and HUGE market-driven money generator, wouldn't (and doesn't) look on those things in the way they might've in the 70's.

Yeah, I'm sure all kinds of hell gets raised and nuttiness goes on, but there are savvy people paid big money to make sure that stuff stays on the down-low.

And while the wife-beating and not showing up for concerts did go on, I don't think he was praised for it. He (and others) have paid for those massive screw-ups in declining sales, stained reputations, etc.

Yeah, it's not perfect. But it's hardly a den of debauchery and anything-goes-because-I'm-coked-up-and-have-a-pistol that it was 20, 30 years ago.

At least not publicly.

• Reply 29 of 92
    By the way, three of my friends live and work in the "industry" in Nashville (a publishing/rights company, a demo/session musician and tech and a contract writer at Sony publishing) and I get stories ALL THE TIME about who's done what and to who and so on.

It's hilarious. And often shocking.

And another guy I used to work in a music store with (and played in a cover band with in the early 90's) is an actual performer, with one record (and radio hit single) out on Mercury. He was dropped and moved to Dreamworks Nashville and his new CD is coming out this fall. I used to see him all the time in Nashville, right before he "broke". But I've spoken to him since he's been "known".

He's got some stories too.

• Reply 30 of 92
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

P.S. Shut up you ugly beasts who don't think the Dixie Chicks are hot. What does your girlfriend look like?

I can honestly say that my wife is much more attractive than any of those dixie chicks

• Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:

F. I still dig the fiddle player. She's sexy in a "cute single mom in the next door apartment" or "fourth grade teacher I wish I had" kind of way that I often go for

I think the word you're looking for is MILF
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Yeah, but I didn't want to be tacky and actually SAY it.

Sometimes it's okay to let people figure things out on their own...
  • Reply 33 of 92
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

I never saw Loretta Lynn's titties or Dolly Parton's butt, so these girls are indeed country music trailblazers!

Well you got it partly right. They're in fact trailer trash!

Not my cup of tea....but to each his own.

• Reply 34 of 92
    yeah you're right pscates old news.

and much stuff does get hushed up, but i think most country fans like human "foibles" because they can relate to them, and don't hold it against them.

the whole amy grant/vince gill thing went under the radar, and everyone in houston has a george strait story to tell.

oooh i just thought of amy grant naked on the cover of entertainment weekly.....i have to go now.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:

Yeah, but I didn't want to be tacky and actually SAY it.

Sometimes it's okay to let people figure things out on their own...

But you'll say titties? Thats pretty tacky. Everyone knows the politically correct term is boobies.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

But you'll say titties? Thats pretty tacky. Everyone knows the politically correct term is boobies.

in texas they say titties a lot.

like "you fixin to go to the titty-bar?"
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:

I have no excuse. I'm completely beyond repair at this point. Sorry!
  • Reply 38 of 92
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

I think the word you're looking for is MILF

Has this acronym entered common slang already? You know, if it weren't for my daily flood of spam, I wouldn't have known WTF you were talking about.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Not a big country fan myself, but I have to say the Dixie Chicks are standouts as women in the country music genre who write many of their own songs and play their own instruments. Other big, popular female country music artists--I'm thinking of your Shania Twains, your Faith Hills--strut around on stage while the backing band literally takes a backseat. Like the Dixie Chicks, I'd say Union Station leans more toward the bluegrass end of country music rather than the power ballad end that's dominated by Shania and Faith.

I read an interesting comment not long after the whole Dixiegate scandal that said something to this effect: If they were thought of as rock musicians, there wouldn't have been any backlash. People have come to expect that kind of antiestablishment thinking from typical rock icons. I kind of lost some respect for the Dixie Chicks after they apologized to save face with their fans.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:

Aside #1

I can call you an old fart, but everyone knows the politically correct term is "elderly"

I'm just kidding, but it goes to show you the extent to which you can use the excuse of "political correctness" to say anything.

Perhaps "titties" is maybe, I don't know, possibly, degrading in a way?

"But oh it's not because we shouldn't use the term, it's the fault of political correctness!"

"Let's reduce everything to political correctness becuase, well, we can!"

Aside #2

I'd like to meet your wife.

(whapita, etc)