Dixie Chicks takin' it off...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    enaena Posts: 667member
    ...well, if she's anything like Linux she'll play 'hard to get.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Except that when you are on foreign soil you represent the country if you are famous.

And yes you should stick to what you believe. but you should also check out the facts on both sides to come to an educated decision before making statements to international media. they knew that america was not popular in engalnd at the time.

And they knew that it would get a big cheer. And I bet that Dexie chick sales in england, france, russia, etc. has gone up

Oh boy, JC.

The comments weren't made to "international media." They were made to a concert audience. ONE newspaper initially picked up on the comments: the left leaning Guardian. Other newspapers followed from the Guardian article.

What they should have done is exactly what they're doing now: getting a freaking backbone already.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

The thing is that it was ushered in by conservative republican forces via prodding on the behalf of Clear Channel DJs. So the whole issue is that it was an organized thing and not just some spontaneous jewel case burning phenomenon. Yeah, conservative country music fans were upset, but the rallies were organized by an ideologically right leaning media company- Clear Channel Communications.

That's the issue.

How do you feel about that?

I feel that: no one held a gun to any of these CD smasher's heads, Shawn. How do you THINK I feel about it? Jeez.

Let me just ask this very simple, straw-free and straightforward question (prompted by your above post, actually):

Has there ever been a rally organized by a left-leaning company of some sort? One that was upset, pissed off, offended, shocked, angry, etc. at a certain political stance or bill or event that really got their goat? Yes, many left-leaning people, on their own, were mad but it a large-scale protest/gathering/response was put together and orchestrated by a decidedly left-leaning organization.

Has it?

Of COURSE it has...and you would be the first to praise or attend this said event. Or, at the very least, you'd have NOTHING negative or bad to say about it.

Are you guys not even the slightest bit aware of the double-standard and hypocrisy at play here? Even just a little? A smidgen? Anyone?

At LEAST have the good sense and sanity to cop to that much.

Flip all this around: trio of musicians takes an onstage dig at a popular Democratic President. Whether you want to even factor in the whole "eve of war" and "on foreign soil" stuff is up to you. I don't care: just for the sake of argument, let's pretend they said it during peacetime at an arena in, say, Omaha, Nebraska.

Now - knowing what you know about people and how they WILL respond when pissed off (look no further than this week's whole Rick Santorum episode) - if people were disgusted, offended, etc. by those remarks and a group of the usual left-leaning suspects got together to smash these CDs or otherwise express their disgust, do you honestly expect ANY of us here to believe that you, ShawnPatrickJoyce (hell, throw in bunge, Hassah, giant and whoever else kinda shares your political worldview) would come here, to AI, and ding them for doing so?

No. Not in a gazillion years, so don't even try to act like you would (there aren't enough eyeroll smileys in the world to mark how ridiculous any statements like that would be). However stridently I may have presented myself during my time here (or have shown my leanings/beliefs on any number of issues), so have you guys and we ALL know better.

You wouldn't.

It boils down, very simply, to this: this isn't your "side". If the situation were reversed (like described above), you'd have no problem with supporters of a Democrat (hell, not even Democrat...just NOT George W. Bush) doing the EXACT same thing.

You'd say they "had the right", that they were "speaking their minds" and so forth.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Wait a second.

That's not what you said.

You said that "but if fans, people who kinda put the girls where they are, decide that "hey, I really am bothered by that..." or for whatever other reason, CHOOSE to stomp their CDs or throw them away (CDs that THEY, not YOU, paid for), so what?

It's free people, acting in whatever way they feel appropriate. It's not Bush looming over a pile of crushed CDs and, in a evil scientist kind of way, rubbing his hands together and speaking of the "great cleansing of the scourge of female country artists..." or whatever."

You said that it was by their initiative to "act in whatever way they feel appropriate." That's not true. The news wasn't about individual country music fans fed up about the Dixie Chicks. It was about the protests.

Now, these protests just didn't materialize out of thin air.

No, they were organized by Clear Channel DJs. Clear Channel who has strong and clear ties to the Bush Administration.

DO you deny any of this?

HOW can you deny any of this?

I feel really creeped out that an already too-powerful communications company (who exerts unprecedented power over the radio industry) could use their power for political gain.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Why do they have to be "The hottest girls ever!"

they are not actors or models they are singers.

if you met girls that look like this in life you would say that they are hot because THEY ARE!!

Reminds me of a joke:

Adam was talking to God about Eve one day, " God why did you make Eve so pretty curvacious and blonde?"

"So that you would love her" replied God.

"but" asked Adam, "Why did you make her so Dumb?"

and God said "So that she would love you"

nuff said

haha good joke

they dont have to be the hottest girls ever, but i think they rn't the best, like i said that one girl looks like a man

now performers dont have to be the hottest, but u normally dont have ass ugly people on stage, which they rn't, but i'd rather look at shikira or brittney spears (even though i'd probably rather listen to DC then brittney haha)
  • Reply 86 of 92
    Well, I don't know, Shawn. Was EVERY damn CD-bashing get-together organized by the evil, monolithic Clear Channel?

I'm going to guess "no".

As a matter of fact, right in my hometown some people got together on their own. I saw no evidence of a formal organizing or "call to arms". It just started as an upset woman, via e-mail and a small ad in the local paper, spreading the word.

So stop acting like people are mindless robots and are only doing what Clear Channel commands.

I don't know, and neither do you, that ALL protests were put together by this company. Common sense (and therein lies the rub...) tells most of us that "probably not".

In any case, my original question still hangs: has there EVER been a "left-leaning" company or organization that has organized a protest or brought other like-minded individuals together to express their displeasure in an individual, company, event, etc.?

Yes there has.

Do you get upset about that?

No you don't. Of course you wouldn't.

It's just right-leaning Clear Channel and Bush that gets your goat.

Just say it so we can all sleep tonight.

• Reply 87 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well, I don't know, Shawn. Was EVERY damn CD-bashing get-together organized by the evil, monolithic Clear Channel?

I'm going to guess "no".

As a matter of fact, right in my hometown some people got together on their own. I saw no evidence of a formal organizing or "call to arms". It just started as an upset woman, via e-mail and a small ad in the local paper, spreading the word.

So stop acting like people are mindless robots and are only doing what Clear Channel commands.

I don't know, and neither do you, that ALL protests were put together by this company. Common sense (and therein lies the rub...) tells most of us that "probably not".

I said neither that they were ALL organized by ClearChannel nor that they needed to be. I suppose the others were mostly too small to warrant media attention. But I submit that without Clear Channel DJs involvement, the backlash against the Dixie Chicks wouldn't have been nearly as strong.

Quote:

In any case, my original question still hangs: has there EVER been a "left-leaning" company or organization that has organized a protest or brought other like-minded individuals together to express their displeasure in an individual, company, event, etc.?

Yes there has.

Do you get upset about that?

No you don't. Of course you wouldn't.

It's just right-leaning Clear Channel and Bush that gets your goat.

Just say it so we can all sleep tonight.

I'm not really aware of any.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

But I submit that without Clear Channel DJs involvement, the backlash against the Dixie Chicks wouldn't have been nearly as strong

so let me get this straight. you're stipulating that without political organizers, rallys would be smaller?

i didn't think that needed pointing out.

the more important question would be, are these sponsers responding to a desire from the public and fullfilling their desires, or are they creating that desire.

i'd say that since it was voluntary to attend, they make a rally, they don't create demand. if people didn't have a problem with the DC's comments, there would have been no one there.

Quote:

I'm not really aware of any

oh boy, that'll get Scott in here in a hurry. he went off on a tirade about anti american corporations funding EVERY major rally world wide against the US. in fact i believe you were even posting in that thread. i'll see if i can dig it up. but yes, even the lefty protests are organized by political groups. go figure.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Why, when ClearChannel organizes an event, I don't hear the "it's just the media giving the people what they want excuse"?
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Because, ena, there is a double-standard and a level of hypocrisy that is so blatant that most of us here with some sense see it right away and just shrug and go "bless their hearts...".

After a while, some of it just gets comical. You could let it upset you, but it's better just to giggle at them.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    nit-pickers

those who are know they are
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:

Because, ena, there is a double-standard and a level of hypocrisy that is so blatant that most of us here with some sense see it right away and just shrug and go "bless their hearts...".

After a while, some of it just gets comical. You could let it upset you, but it's better just to giggle at them.

absolutely.

Howard Stern is just peachy but Dr. Lara or Michael Savage aren't fit for public consumption?

....."they" have done the same thing to Andrew Sullivan.