Sherlocked by Sequoia: What apps Apple may have killed in macOS and iOS 18

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,458member
    I used Grammarly but cancelled it after it took way too much RAM in Safari. 

I don't use 1Password, I always used the system manager and I am glad the update will provide a standalone app instead of being nested in System Settings. 

I am disappointed that Journal is not coming to MacOS. I would do that. I don't want to deal with that on a mobile. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,321member
    sunman42 said:
    Let’s see:

1Password - when they stepped onto the Electron bandwagon, I stepped off paying for any updates. 7.whatever still runs, if all you need is a password vault, which I use as a deep archive (for accounts I never use, but some vendor may still maintain my account) and a backup to Keychain Access. Speaking of which, what will Passwords offer that Keychain access does not?

Grammarly: Never used it. After six years of rote learning of grammar, syntax, and composition in English in high school, at least until dementia sets in, I don’t need anyone else’s grammar interventions.

Calculator: will have to see what it can do that I don’t do already with Kalkulilo.

ChatGPT: As I emailed Tim Cook last evening, all I want from ChatGPT is a kill switch so I am never pestered to use it, for anything.
    Way too often, I click on an app and I’m asked for a password. Then, I feel like pulling my hair out. For this reason, I ALWAYS store all of my passwords and user names in a Notes file. That way I’m not screwed over when I have to inexplicably provide the password. This is also the same reason I NEVER use the password Apple suggests. I use my own set of words that I can look at and easily remember for the few seconds it takes me to get back to the login screen. Hopefully, this new app will solve the problem of Apple not having my password. If I’m doing something wrong that causes Safari to not remember my password, then I don’t know what it is.
    Apple has made getting passwords easier in the last few years. If you right click on a text field you can select "AutoFill" from the options and bring up the password picker. And if you generate a password that for some reason doesn't appear in the password app properly, a "recently created password" section appears.

Do what works for you, but having everything in a Notes file isn't advisable. It is possibly the worst way to store passwords besides writing them on sticky notes. Advanced Data Protection kind of helps, but still. Notes isn't a Password manager. You're making more work for yourself.

I have over 400 unique passwords and Apple Passwords manages all of them. I've never had a problem.

I also use a locked Note for many of my passwords for use when I am not using my phone, But more importantly, I need it for my wife's and parent's accounts as I am always called for tech support. So, I don't have to ask for his info.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Apple’s apps are still pretty basic. If I had to guess, I’d say Passwords is more about getting people who won’t pay for a third-party product to have better habits and ultimately get them using Passkeys instead of passwords. Safer for everyone.

I’ve used or do use almost all of these apps, and none of Apple’s offerings are as feature rich. Shout out to the developers of Calcbot, and their wonderful conversion features. Also, 100% disagree with Mr. Grumpypants - 1Password 8.x is great, despite its Electron underpinnings. (And I detest most of those flaky apps. Slack, I’m looking at you.) Ditto for Grammarly — indispensable in so many ways. Got my teams all writing up material with clarity and the approved style. And I can’t see anyone but a casual hiker using the Maps feature. All Trails is simply better for anyone hiking on the regular (although this is a community that likes to put away electronics while doing their thing).

In short, I can’t see anyone losing customers here. I do see Apple’s offerings as gateways to introducing people to these types of software solutions.

And for the love of all that’s holy, once again, stop being so lazy and un-nuanced. Come up with a better term.

PS - Additional shout out to Vysor, which allows remote UI control of mobile devices. Many of you have missed that Apple’s new iPhone on the desktop, and the older ‘’push to jump over” to an iPad with Continuity replicates some of that feature set (although arguably, NeXT had similar features with DisplayPostscript).

williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Eh, I'll keep using KeePassXC.  I absolutely do not trust somebody else's computer (aka 'the cloud') as a safe place to keep passwords, KeePass lets me keep my password database on storage I control.

As far as a "window manager" - and you're using that term wrong, AI, it has a meaning already, on the Mac it's not really switchable, but on Linux it's things like KWin, Mutter, or Xfwm.  There's a lot of them to choose from, here's an explanation and list:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/window_manager.
    As for what Apple is adding, I'll be looking for the off switch immediately.  I absolutely despise it when the OS decides it knows better than I do where I want to place a window.  It does not.  And I NEVER want my windows to be auto-tiled.  If there's no off switch, I'll be seriously considering switching to Linux as my primary OS, it's THAT infuriating.

edited June 12 dewme
  • Reply 25 of 45
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 907member
    It's hilarious that LastPass had the audacity to say anything. Yeah, why take a chance on Apple security in a free Password app when you can pay LastPass an annual subscription to get your passwords hacked. I'm honestly shocked they're still in business. #LastGasp
    VictorMortimerwilliamlondonhmurchisonxyzzy01watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    First does not mean only and it certainly does not mean forever. Sherlock is one of the children of  capitalism and innovation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 760member
    I think whatsapp importance will be also lowered similar to most other messengers
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 770member
    Have not downloaded the beta so not sure if the new password app is available for testing. The big issue with Apple’s implementation of passwords right now is that it uses the same login as the one to unlock my computer. Even if someone videotapes me logging into my phone or computer and then steals it, there is no way to access 1Password as it is set for FaceID or its own unique password. Same with my financial and investment accounts - none are set to use the iPhone unlock code. If Apple does not allow for this, I will stick with 1P. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    araquen said:
    […]

Calendars and task managers - there has been NO calendar solution that does what Apple’s Calendar will do, with the exception of Palm’s Palm Desktop calendar, which maybe clung to live as late as 2008: which is the in-line coordination of to dos and calendar entries. Even Fantastical keeps reminders to a sidebar. I have been begging for “threaded” tasks and calendar entries for almost 20 years. If there is another calendar app that will do this, I can’t find it, and if Fantastical can do this, I was never able to unlock that feature (unless it was gated behind a subscription paywall).
    Have you looked at BusyCal (which is mentioned in the Apple Insider article)? I use BusyCal exactly because it allows to show (timed) reminders alongside calendar entries.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,864member
    longfang said:
    nubus said:
    40domi said:
    Are these the same poor developers that have been anty App Store policies?
    Those that make good useful apps, have nothing to fear!
    The entire concept of Sherlocking is that those creating great productivity apps will see Apple mimic their work without getting paid.
    It wasn't always like that. The Mac didn't have a clock in the menu and so most of us installed SuperClock! Apple then bought the rights to it. Same with other tools.

Those days are gone. Not compensating small developers is a bit too brutal for my taste. It wouldn't hurt Apple to play nice. Not sure if the problem is penny-pinching or not-invented-here.
    Compensate them for what exactly? It’s not like Apple reached into their development environment and copied their source code. 

So IP is a thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,864member
    The only thing that concerns me about gpt is… how is it “free?

someone’s paying for it. Does apple just cut them a check per activation? 

Was it a lump sum?

or is there some kind of anonymized data that Apple is allowing open ai to skim? 

More needs to come to light about this. 

Just “it’s a partnership” doesn’t cut it. 

Strongly prefer that Apple builds its own. This is kind of embarassing. 
    edited June 12 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    OferOfer Posts: 259unconfirmed, member

Was it a lump sum?

or is there some kind of anonymized data that Apple is allowing open ai to skim? 

Apple is building their own. This is just a stopgap measure until Apple’s in-house solution is ready for public use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 113member
    Grammerly has the advantage of being web based and cross platform, and in the Pro version it has a lot of sophisticated tools for structured documents as well as plagiarism checking. It is unlikely Apple will develop it to this extent so users of these features will probably stay put for now. Casual users of the free version will probably switch to the Apple native app, this will not be a big loss for Gramerly in revenue terms except as a demonstration tool ie whatever revenue they derive from the user data/activity. I’ll use both.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 474member
    corin_oz said:
    I’ll be sticking with 1Password despite Apple’s upcoming offering, 1P still appears to be more fully featured, including its watchtower functionality. 

Oh yeah!  I can't believe I forgot about 1Password's Watchtower - it reminds you if a website offers MFA or passkeys, alerts you to compromised websites that you need to change your password on, and can even check if your specific passwords have been compromised using haveibeenpwned.  (Believe it or not, the latter is done in such a way that it's secure and no passwords are sent outside of your device.)

Another thing I like is that it's possible to dump ALL 1P data to an unencrypted 1PUX (proprietary) or CSV file for easy migration to another 1P account, or even an entirely different tool.  No vendor lock-in, which is also very un-Apple-like.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamxyzzy01watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 474member

Was it a lump sum?

From my interpretation of the keynote, it's only free for the already-free features in ChatGPT's free tier already, and your device asks/warns you before sending anything to them.  If you want to use the non-free features, you still have to pay.

The "Apple Intelligence" stuff has nothing to do with ChatGPT, and is a wholly separate thing entirely within Apple, but its function is more as a device assistant than generative.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,373member
    Ofer said:

Was it a lump sum?

Apple is building their own. This is just a stopgap measure until Apple’s in-house solution is ready for public use.
    Yes PrivateCloudCompute is all Apple and will be interesting to see what those in the know make of it when they have had a chance to get in to the code. I assume as it relies on Mseries servers and Apple would need time to build up that capacity is the reason old Siri isn't powered in the cloud by it.

Oh seems to me Apple should be trying to have a consumer server in disguise let people plug in a AppleTV M2 at home or work and use that to boost local Apple Intelligence for their family or company.
    edited June 12 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    I'm one of the over small developers who's livelihood will be impacted by the free Passwords app from Apple.  I first created My Eyes Only in 2008 and it has remained relevant eve since. MEO does way more than passwords, so it is way more useful the just as a password app. 

But... A free app is hard to complete with, especially one from a three trillion dollar company.  What is worse, Apple refuses to open it's APIs for developers to compete with first the KeyChain and now Passwords. The same is true for PassKey.  When a user in Safari, creates a new account in an online service, Apple's OSs will ask the use if they want to save it in the Keychain. Apple does not give a user the option to save it in My Eyes Only, because app has not exposed and API for develops to utilize.  Same for PassKey, no developer APIs to make it fair for developers. 

Apple could take the moral high ground and open it's APIs, but they rather beat the loyal longtime small developer into pulp. Apple could also take even higher ground and buy out the competition. They could at least make offers to developers. But no, they rather beat the loyal longtime small developer into pulp.

williamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 38 of 45
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 546member
    It's great that Apple is going to release a calculator app for the iPad.  But in the long run I'll be sticking with the i41CX+ HP style app.  I'm used to inputting in the RPN format.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    araquen said:
    1Password - I was NOT a fan of moving to a subscription, and there was one update that “broke” attachments. If Apple’s native password manager lets me maintain parity between my Mac and my frankenbox (though with Microsoft screwing up Windows 11 as it is, I may not need the frankenbox anymore), I don’t mind removing another subscription from my budget.
    Like you, though I had used and loved 1Password from the time AgileBits was a two-person Macintosh-only company, I exited 1Password when AgileBits got too greedy.
    Key to transferring any database, particularly one with heavy security requirements, is file compatibility. How cleanly and completely will Passwords import your data from your current password manager? Will it be a time-consuming exercise in recovering from minimal file compatibility, like it was when I imported from 1Password?
    Fortunately, much of the password data I had was old and could be stored satisfactorily using “Notes” templates, a time-saving if kludgy arrangement.
    If data compatibility is again a problem, it will take a long time to migrate over to Passwords (“just copy and paste the data in every field!”), regardless of Passwords’ feature set. At least we have a head start in that the process has already begun with the existing Passwords app and Keychain Access.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,574member
    maltz said:
    I'm sticking with 1Password, but for reasons that the average user won't take into consideration.  First, I've dealt with iCloud sync enough over the years, there's NO WAY I'd trust it to safely handle passwords.  I know it's better now than it used to be, but even within the last year or so, I've still seen rare issues with contacts, which is about the only thing I use it for.

I also like 1Password's security model with a password AND a strong private key required to decrypt the data.  I have a strong master password, but for most, keeping password data in the cloud is inherently risky, and a Lastpass-style breach can cause a lot of havoc without that additional layer.  Hopefully, the Password app at least requires MFA.  1Password is also VERY up front about the inner workings of their security, what data lives solely on your device and what is synced, and where decryption occurs, even when using the web client.  Such transparency is not Apple's strong suit.

And lastly, Linux support.  It was smart for Apple to include Windows support, since a LOT of their iPhone users don't have any other Apple devices.  But I need Linux, too.
    It’s not as though that app is secure. It’s been broken into several times during the years and most people had their info taken. I’m sticking with Apple’s it never been broken into.
    watto_cobra