Sherlocked by Sequoia: What apps Apple may have killed in macOS and iOS 18

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member

nubus said:
    40domi said:
    Are these the same poor developers that have been anty App Store policies?
    Those that make good useful apps, have nothing to fear!
    The entire concept of Sherlocking is that those creating great productivity apps will see Apple mimic their work without getting paid.
    It wasn't always like that. The Mac didn't have a clock in the menu and so most of us installed SuperClock! Apple then bought the rights to it. Same with other tools.

Those days are gone. Not compensating small developers is a bit too brutal for my taste. It wouldn't hurt Apple to play nice. Not sure if the problem is penny-pinching or not-invented-here.
    Meh! It’s always a risk being a developer. If they don’t know that, it’s too bad. Apple, Google, Microsoft and others with OSs are stuck between those who complain that features aren’t in the OS with those who also complain that they have to pay for them when they’re not, and those who complain they Sherlock developers. 

By the way, Sherlock was an Apple program that was copied by the developer who later came up with Watson. When Apple reinstated the features, some people went nuts over it, forgetting it was Apple’s ideas in the first place.
    edited June 13 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    The only thing that concerns me about gpt is… how is it “free?

someone’s paying for it. Does apple just cut them a check per activation? 

Was it a lump sum?

or is there some kind of anonymized data that Apple is allowing open ai to skim? 

More needs to come to light about this. 

Just “it’s a partnership” doesn’t cut it. 

Strongly prefer that Apple builds its own. This is kind of embarassing. 
    Another article says that neither company is paying. OpenAI is getting marketing out of this. That’s the equivalent of several million bucks, at least.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    melgross said:
    maltz said:
    I'm sticking with 1Password, but for reasons that the average user won't take into consideration.  First, I've dealt with iCloud sync enough over the years, there's NO WAY I'd trust it to safely handle passwords.  I know it's better now than it used to be, but even within the last year or so, I've still seen rare issues with contacts, which is about the only thing I use it for.

I also like 1Password's security model with a password AND a strong private key required to decrypt the data.  I have a strong master password, but for most, keeping password data in the cloud is inherently risky, and a Lastpass-style breach can cause a lot of havoc without that additional layer.  Hopefully, the Password app at least requires MFA.  1Password is also VERY up front about the inner workings of their security, what data lives solely on your device and what is synced, and where decryption occurs, even when using the web client.  Such transparency is not Apple's strong suit.

And lastly, Linux support.  It was smart for Apple to include Windows support, since a LOT of their iPhone users don't have any other Apple devices.  But I need Linux, too.
    It’s not as though that app is secure. It’s been broken into several times during the years and most people had their info taken. I’m sticking with Apple’s it never been broken into.
    I think you're thinking of LastPass?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 45
    maltz said:
    melgross said:
    maltz said:
    I'm sticking with 1Password, but for reasons that the average user won't take into consideration.  First, I've dealt with iCloud sync enough over the years, there's NO WAY I'd trust it to safely handle passwords.  I know it's better now than it used to be, but even within the last year or so, I've still seen rare issues with contacts, which is about the only thing I use it for.

I also like 1Password's security model with a password AND a strong private key required to decrypt the data.  I have a strong master password, but for most, keeping password data in the cloud is inherently risky, and a Lastpass-style breach can cause a lot of havoc without that additional layer.  Hopefully, the Password app at least requires MFA.  1Password is also VERY up front about the inner workings of their security, what data lives solely on your device and what is synced, and where decryption occurs, even when using the web client.  Such transparency is not Apple's strong suit.

And lastly, Linux support.  It was smart for Apple to include Windows support, since a LOT of their iPhone users don't have any other Apple devices.  But I need Linux, too.
    It’s not as though that app is secure. It’s been broken into several times during the years and most people had their info taken. I’m sticking with Apple’s it never been broken into.
    That sure. But not the only one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    melgross said:
    maltz said:
    melgross said:
    maltz said:

That sure. But not the only one.
    I'm not aware of any breach against 1Password that caused exposure of customer data, even encrypted data.  Not that exposure of encrypted user data would even be a big deal, with their security model - which is why I use them.  [Citation needed] I guess?
    watto_cobra