Sherlocked by Sequoia: What apps Apple may have killed in macOS and iOS 18

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 11

Another year, another set of Apple updates -- and another set of popular app developers who could lose their livelihoods. Here's what Apple Sherlocked at WWDC 2024.

Apple's new Passwords app is just one of many new tools that
Apple's new Passwords app is just one of many new tools that "Sherlock" existing apps

Long before Spotlight, Apple developed a search tool it called Sherlock. An enterprising developer, though, then released an app called Watson that enhanced Sherlock -- for a while.

When Apple next updated Sherlock, that release incorporated everything that Watson did, so Watson was now out of business. You can argue whether Apple stole Watson's ideas, or you can point out that these enhancements were a logical next step that Apple would have taken anyway.

What's not arguable is that this practice became known as Sherlocking. Very many times since, Apple has Sherlocked other popular apps.

In 2023, it did it to the Day One app with its Journal, and its mental health features encroached on many an existing mindfulness one.

In 2024, the list is longer than usual and it starts with one whose impact is going to be felt heaviest by the Grammarly app.

Grammarly

It's quite rare for there to be one market leader so very clearly as there is with Grammarly. As it has always been, Grammarly is a machine learning-powered tool to fix your grammar, and spelling.

It's pretty good, but it's not perfect. It's also effectively not free, as what you got for that wasn't worth the zero cost.

Maybe Grammarly is better, but Writing Tools should be good and will be free on every Mac
Maybe Grammarly is better, but Writing Tools should be good and will be free on every Mac

Grammarly has been steadily adding AI-based features in order to stay up to date. But if there was one most practical demo in the WWDC keynote, it was to do with text, edits, and rewrite suggestions.

Right from within iOS 18, the AI features will read documents for us and summarize the contents. Apple stresses that this will also be used to check tenses, spelling, and composition.

And, if you don't like what you wrote, Apple Intelligence will be able to rewrite the tone for you.

All worthwhile, all built-in to Apple's operating systems, and all for free -- assuming you have a device that supports Apple Intelligence.

Password managers

Dashlane, 1Password, and LastPass have long competed with how Safari saves passwords too, but now Apple has its own, separate Passwords app.

It's not as if they can't have seen it coming, but that doesn't mean third-party password manager firms have to like what Apple has done.

"At LastPass, we believe independence matters. Independence means that people have the freedom to access whatever application or website they want through any mobile device, any OS and any browser," Karim Toubba, CEO, LastPass told AppleInsider. "Tying people down to one vendor's operating system limits their options and the freedom to choose how they live their digital lives."

"LastPass is committed to providing our customers and partners with a password and identity solution that supports a vast array of devices and operating systems based on their choices -- not someone else's," continued Toubba.

It will take a lot to move existing 1Password users to Apple Passwords, but new ones will need persuading to pay for what they can now get for free
It will take a lot to move existing 1Password users to Apple Passwords, but new ones will need persuading to pay for what they can now get for free

Popular manager 1Password is similarly affected, but may not be concerned since it has expanded across platforms to become as much a corporate Windows tool as an individual Mac one. The firm's dependence on the Mac might be gauged by how in 2021 it stopped work on a native Mac update and instead introduced a ported version via Electron.

Window managers

If you've not used a window manager, you don't know what you're missing -- and you're going to find out thanks to Apple and its new tiled window feature. This is another side of Sherlocking, where perhaps overly optimistic developers feel that Apple is at least drawing attention to a class of apps.

Certainly Moom, Mosaic, BetterSnapTool, and general purpose apps like Keyboard Maestro do more and in some cases much more than Apple's new rival. They always will, so the question is whether people will seek them out when their needs outgrow what Apple offers.

Calculators

It was expected that Apple would finally launch a calculator for the iPad and that automatically made many users see it as a rival to the very long-standing PCalc. However, when it was finally revealed, Apple's calculator also took on tools like Soulver.

A smartphone displaying a calculator app is placed on a laptop keyboard.
PCalc has been a favorite on all Apple devices for decades, but now Apple's Calculator is much improved -- and finally on the iPad

Soulver is an app that calculates results based not on spreadsheet cells or a user directly tapping in precisely the calculation they want. Instead, they can write out equations and Soulver solves them -- just as Apple can now do.

Calendars and task managers

This one is less about Apple taking on a specific app, more about it competing with one particularly convenient feature of popular apps. Just as with Fantastical, BusyCal and really any third-party calendar app, Apple's own Calendar now integrates with Reminders.

There's an argument to be made that appointments and tasks are different things, but as of iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia, Reminders tasks can be see in the Calendar.

AI and ChatGPT

Apple is offering, or will be offering, use of the latest ChatGPT model, GPT 4.0, and doing so for free. That will immediately mean fewer people subscribing to the paid version.

Craig Federighi did say that ChatGPT subscribers would get extra features for their staying on site. But he didn't distinguish what those are, and as yet it's not possible to tell what impact Apple will have because its AI features lik this are not in the first developer beta.

What happens to Sherlocked developers

Ultimately, it's probably not going to be possible to determine just how much impact Apple will make with this year's round of Sherlocking. Hopefully developers have other revenue streams, but perhaps it is also true that having Apple put a spotlight on your business is a good thing.

All hope is not lost. Developers often respond to getting sherlocked by working to distinguish their offerings from Apple's.

Typically that means offering more features or going beyond the basics that Apple usually offers. So despite Reminders being both excellent and free, for example, there remains a strong market for more powerful task managers such as Todoist Pro, Things 3, and OmniFocus.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    olive_olive_ Posts: 9member
    Also looks like the hiking routes features in Maps will make apps like All Trails a bit less necessary to download (great app btw)
    Alex_VJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 45
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 279member
    Let’s see:

1Password - when they stepped onto the Electron bandwagon, I stepped off paying for any updates. 7.whatever still runs, if all you need is a password vault, which I use as a deep archive (for accounts I never use, but some vendor may still maintain my account) and a backup to Keychain Access. Speaking of which, what will Passwords offer that Keychain access does not?

Grammarly: Never used it. After six years of rote learning of grammar, syntax, and composition in English in high school, at least until dementia sets in, I don’t need anyone else’s grammar interventions.

Calculator: will have to see what it can do that I don’t do already with Kalkulilo.

ChatGPT: As I emailed Tim Cook last evening, all I want from ChatGPT is a kill switch so I am never pestered to use it, for anything.
    andyorkneyzeus423Alex_VVictorMortimerdarbus69watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 45
    maltzmaltz Posts: 474member
    I'm sticking with 1Password, but for reasons that the average user won't take into consideration.  First, I've dealt with iCloud sync enough over the years, there's NO WAY I'd trust it to safely handle passwords.  I know it's better now than it used to be, but even within the last year or so, I've still seen rare issues with contacts, which is about the only thing I use it for.

I also like 1Password's security model with a password AND a strong private key required to decrypt the data.  I have a strong master password, but for most, keeping password data in the cloud is inherently risky, and a Lastpass-style breach can cause a lot of havoc without that additional layer.  Hopefully, the Password app at least requires MFA.  1Password is also VERY up front about the inner workings of their security, what data lives solely on your device and what is synced, and where decryption occurs, even when using the web client.  Such transparency is not Apple's strong suit.

And lastly, Linux support.  It was smart for Apple to include Windows support, since a LOT of their iPhone users don't have any other Apple devices.  But I need Linux, too.
    williamlondondewmeAlex_Vxyzzy01watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Microsoft did the same thing with Windows at least as far back as the 90s.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 45
    araquenaraquen Posts: 10member
    I’ve dabbled in third party solutions, and tend to give up using them. Some of them got my money, and I have no regrets.

Grammarly - I found this intrusive, plus I was not going to pay a subscription. 

1Password - I was NOT a fan of moving to a subscription, and there was one update that “broke” attachments. If Apple’s native password manager lets me maintain parity between my Mac and my frankenbox (though with Microsoft screwing up Windows 11 as it is, I may not need the frankenbox anymore), I don’t mind removing another subscription from my budget.

Windows managers - I’ve tried them and this functionality doesn’t really work for me anyway.

Calculators - I never needed anything fancy. The apps on iPhone and my Mac are fine for my needs. PCalc has a digital dice app, which I did buy and I am sure Apple has no interest in. So if anyone wants to keep supporting PCalc, especially if you’re looking to get into TTRPs, Dice is worth the price.

Calendars and task managers - there has been NO calendar solution that does what Apple’s Calendar will do, with the exception of Palm’s Palm Desktop calendar, which maybe clung to live as late as 2008: which is the in-line coordination of to dos and calendar entries. Even Fantastical keeps reminders to a sidebar. I have been begging for “threaded” tasks and calendar entries for almost 20 years. If there is another calendar app that will do this, I can’t find it, and if Fantastical can do this, I was never able to unlock that feature (unless it was gated behind a subscription paywall).

Journals - I have never been able to journal, even though I bought several journaling apps (some of which switched to subscription, and I draw the line at subscription models for software.

The one app I really wish Apple would sherlock is TuneUp. To date, has been the best tagging software I have ever used - as long as you are diligent. It is no longer in development and can no longer be used with Apple’s jukebox (Apple Music). But TuneUp worked from the same database Apple uses, not the insanely inaccurate Musicbrainz current full featured music taggers rely on, and was able to determine what was an album track versus a complication track. It allowed you to force a recording into an album even if the identifier believed the track was from a compilation, and was able to use duplicates to build out multiple albums before flagging the file as a duplicate (great for, say, The Beatles, where the same songs appear on a LOT of albums, both as stand alone albums and compilations). It could also bulk process files, and didn’t require music files to already be in an album folder. You could literally have a drive full of music files and TuneUp would sort and tag all of it without you having to micromanage it. APPLE! SHERLOCK TUNEUP!

40domizeus423Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    hagarhagar Posts: 132member
    Don’t forget Gentler Streak for iOS and WatchOS. Definitely on the chopping block. After receiving 2 Apple Awards non the less. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    sunman42 said:
    Let’s see:

1Password - when they stepped onto the Electron bandwagon, I stepped off paying for any updates. 7.whatever still runs, if all you need is a password vault, which I use as a deep archive (for accounts I never use, but some vendor may still maintain my account) and a backup to Keychain Access. Speaking of which, what will Passwords offer that Keychain access does not?

Grammarly: Never used it. After six years of rote learning of grammar, syntax, and composition in English in high school, at least until dementia sets in, I don’t need anyone else’s grammar interventions.

Calculator: will have to see what it can do that I don’t do already with Kalkulilo.

ChatGPT: As I emailed Tim Cook last evening, all I want from ChatGPT is a kill switch so I am never pestered to use it, for anything.
    Way too often, I click on an app and I’m asked for a password. Then, I feel like pulling my hair out. For this reason, I ALWAYS store all of my passwords and user names in a Notes file. That way I’m not screwed over when I have to inexplicably provide the password. This is also the same reason I NEVER use the password Apple suggests. I use my own set of words that I can look at and easily remember for the few seconds it takes me to get back to the login screen. Hopefully, this new app will solve the problem of Apple not having my password. If I’m doing something wrong that causes Safari to not remember my password, then I don’t know what it is.
    williamlondon40domiMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 213member, administrator, moderator, editor
    sunman42 said:
    Let’s see:

Way too often, I click on an app and I’m asked for a password. Then, I feel like pulling my hair out. For this reason, I ALWAYS store all of my passwords and user names in a Notes file. That way I’m not screwed over when I have to inexplicably provide the password. This is also the same reason I NEVER use the password Apple suggests. I use my own set of words that I can look at and easily remember for the few seconds it takes me to get back to the login screen. Hopefully, this new app will solve the problem of Apple not having my password. If I’m doing something wrong that causes Safari to not remember my password, then I don’t know what it is.
    Apple has made getting passwords easier in the last few years. If you right click on a text field you can select "AutoFill" from the options and bring up the password picker. And if you generate a password that for some reason doesn't appear in the password app properly, a "recently created password" section appears.

Do what works for you, but having everything in a Notes file isn't advisable. It is possibly the worst way to store passwords besides writing them on sticky notes. Advanced Data Protection kind of helps, but still. Notes isn't a Password manager. You're making more work for yourself.

I have over 400 unique passwords and Apple Passwords manages all of them. I've never had a problem.
    jony0Alex_Vtokyojimumelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Are these the same poor developers that have been anty App Store policies?
    I have tried many apps, particularly for photo editing, none of them are any good, which is why I cancelled them, their is a huge void with Apple's own editing tool, why can't someone fill it properly?
    Those that make good useful apps, have nothing to fear!
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    OferOfer Posts: 259unconfirmed, member
    araquen said:
    I’ve dabbled in third party solutions, and tend to give up using them. Some of them got my money, and I have no regrets.

Grammarly - I found this intrusive, plus I was not going to pay a subscription. 

1Password - I was NOT a fan of moving to a subscription, and there was one update that “broke” attachments. If Apple’s native password manager lets me maintain parity between my Mac and my frankenbox (though with Microsoft screwing up Windows 11 as it is, I may not need the frankenbox anymore), I don’t mind removing another subscription from my budget.

Windows managers - I’ve tried them and this functionality doesn’t really work for me anyway.

Calculators - I never needed anything fancy. The apps on iPhone and my Mac are fine for my needs. PCalc has a digital dice app, which I did buy and I am sure Apple has no interest in. So if anyone wants to keep supporting PCalc, especially if you’re looking to get into TTRPs, Dice is worth the price.

Calendars and task managers - there has been NO calendar solution that does what Apple’s Calendar will do, with the exception of Palm’s Palm Desktop calendar, which maybe clung to live as late as 2008: which is the in-line coordination of to dos and calendar entries. Even Fantastical keeps reminders to a sidebar. I have been begging for “threaded” tasks and calendar entries for almost 20 years. If there is another calendar app that will do this, I can’t find it, and if Fantastical can do this, I was never able to unlock that feature (unless it was gated behind a subscription paywall).

Journals - I have never been able to journal, even though I bought several journaling apps (some of which switched to subscription, and I draw the line at subscription models for software.

The one app I really wish Apple would sherlock is TuneUp. To date, has been the best tagging software I have ever used - as long as you are diligent. It is no longer in development and can no longer be used with Apple’s jukebox (Apple Music). But TuneUp worked from the same database Apple uses, not the insanely inaccurate Musicbrainz current full featured music taggers rely on, and was able to determine what was an album track versus a complication track. It allowed you to force a recording into an album even if the identifier believed the track was from a compilation, and was able to use duplicates to build out multiple albums before flagging the file as a duplicate (great for, say, The Beatles, where the same songs appear on a LOT of albums, both as stand alone albums and compilations). It could also bulk process files, and didn’t require music files to already be in an album folder. You could literally have a drive full of music files and TuneUp would sort and tag all of it without you having to micromanage it. APPLE! SHERLOCK TUNEUP!

For better or worse, music is all about streaming nowadays. Very few companies/apps support standalone standalone music files and MP3 collections. So I really doubt you’ll ever see Apple offer the options that Tuneup did.
    zeus423xyzzy01watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,479member
    maltz said:
    I'm sticking with 1Password, but for reasons that the average user won't take into consideration.  First, I've dealt with iCloud sync enough over the years, there's NO WAY I'd trust it to safely handle passwords.  I know it's better now than it used to be, but even within the last year or so, I've still seen rare issues with contacts, which is about the only thing I use it for.

I also like 1Password's security model with a password AND a strong private key required to decrypt the data.  I have a strong master password, but for most, keeping password data in the cloud is inherently risky, and a Lastpass-style breach can cause a lot of havoc without that additional layer.  Hopefully, the Password app at least requires MFA.  1Password is also VERY up front about the inner workings of their security, what data lives solely on your device and what is synced, and where decryption occurs, even when using the web client.  Such transparency is not Apple's strong suit.

And lastly, Linux support.  It was smart for Apple to include Windows support, since a LOT of their iPhone users don't have any other Apple devices.  But I need Linux, too.
    I'm on the same page with respect to 1Password. As trusted as Apple has proven to be so far, I'm also hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket. Which one is "better" likely requires a mathematical proof that is beyond my level of understanding and an understanding of all points of vulnerability. Even more air gapped mechanisms like Yubikeys have inherent limitations. Using Passkeys with biometric authentication seems like a reasonable improvement over passcodes and are more convenient than message based MFA.

One concern that have with all current password management applications is the inability to quickly/near instantly revoke all of my passwords that are spread across a multitude of systems. Of course this would require a globally accessible password authority, which could potentially become a single point failure mechanism and a target for man in the middle attacks.

It might be time to revert to Post-It notes hidden under my keyboard. Forget I mentioned keyboard. I meant Post-It notes stored in a Bankers Box behind the toilet.
    jellybellywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    I’ll be sticking with 1Password despite Apple’s upcoming offering, 1P still appears to be more fully featured, including its watchtower functionality. 
    ravnorodomdewmewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 552member
    olive_ said:
    Also looks like the hiking routes features in Maps will make apps like All Trails a bit less necessary to download (great app btw)
    Since the hiking routes are US only, other nations can and will still use All Trails where it’s available. 
    Alex_Vwilliamlondonxyzzy01watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 45
    nubusnubus Posts: 449member
    40domi said:
    The entire concept of Sherlocking is that those creating great productivity apps will see Apple mimic their work without getting paid.
    It wasn't always like that. The Mac didn't have a clock in the menu and so most of us installed SuperClock! Apple then bought the rights to it. Same with other tools.

Those days are gone. Not compensating small developers is a bit too brutal for my taste. It wouldn't hurt Apple to play nice. Not sure if the problem is penny-pinching or not-invented-here.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 45
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,369member
    Just a quick reminder Watson used Apples hidden API that were there as foundation to the feature that “Sherlocked” them in the next OS cycle. They should have had a pretty good idea to the potential longevity of the product.

again passwords is a much needed update to an old system.

reporting like this just seems disingenuous in its negativity as all these apps have ways to better service users and continue getting paid if they do. 
    foregoneconclusionwilliamlondonihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 442member
    I'm sticking with 1Password for now. I use Keychain and 1Password right now and it's worked out fine. Seems I can do more with the latter when comes to making the password longer and more complex.
    edited June 12 jeffharriswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 45
    "What's not arguable is that this practice became known as Sherlocking. Very many times since, Apple has Sherlocked other popular apps."

What is also not arguable is blogs have made a cottage industry of writing clickbait articles after every WWDC enumerating the things that Apple "Shellacked"

It's really lazy and well past time to let it go. The term has lost all meaning at this point. 

jeffharrismattinozwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 825member
    Appointments and tasks are not separate things. Ask anyone that has to complete one or more tasks on a day that is full of appointments. 

This integration will bring me back to Calendar and Reminders. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    olive_ said:
    AllTrails is great! Use it for hiking regularly!

I’ve also used Google Maps forever, never Apple’s Maps app. 
    We have probably thousands of spots saved from all over.

As for a password manager, been using 1Password since version 1, when it was 1Passwrd.
    I have TONS of stuff in that. Scans of IDs, important papers and whatnot. The thing is great!
    I can’t see abandoning that, unless Apple has some sort of seamless import function.
    edited June 12 williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 45
    longfanglongfang Posts: 471member
    nubus said:
    40domi said:
    The entire concept of Sherlocking is that those creating great productivity apps will see Apple mimic their work without getting paid.
    It wasn't always like that. The Mac didn't have a clock in the menu and so most of us installed SuperClock! Apple then bought the rights to it. Same with other tools.

Those days are gone. Not compensating small developers is a bit too brutal for my taste. It wouldn't hurt Apple to play nice. Not sure if the problem is penny-pinching or not-invented-here.
    Compensate them for what exactly? It’s not like Apple reached into their development environment and copied their source code. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra